Live streaming of all EFL games

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
EPL, not EFL. The latter's only a tenner a game.. ;)

IAN S

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
What's the betting that the "interim solution" will turn out to be the new norm.?
Just two more large companies trying to make money out of the covid situation methinks.

They'll be plenty of gullible fools who will pay up.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
EFL Trophy for us tonight. Although we were only charging £5 admission for these matches last season and still barely getting four-figure gates, EFL stipulates it's £10 to watch them on ifollow!

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
EFL Trophy for us tonight. Although we were only charging £5 admission for these matches last season and still barely getting four-figure gates, EFL stipulates it's £10 to watch them on ifollow!
You can do what I did yesterday, and ignore it

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
The EFL trophy has been totally devalued by adding B teams.
Yet the financial rewards are far from insignificant, and comfortably outweigh what L1/2 clubs might ordinarily earn from the EFL Cup, for example:

It'll be interesting to see how the two competitions evolve in the future. Maybe even mesh together. Or just collapse!

Last edited:

Brightside

Youth Team Starter
Hopefully the competition where everyone enters their first team wins out over money. The EFL trophy is incredibly unpopular.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Hopefully the competition where everyone enters their first team wins out over money.
Well that rules out the Carabao Cup on both counts!

Neither competition is popular. That, together with all the talk of revamping the professional game and also the likelihood that the EPL will be pushing for something in return for bailing out the EFL, is the context in which I'll be interested to see what kind of a future, if any, each of these two cups have.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Yet the financial rewards are far from insignificant, and comfortably outweigh what L1/2 clubs might ordinarily earn from the EFL Cup, for example:

It'll be interesting to see how the two competitions evolve in the future. Maybe even mesh together. Or just collapse!
While it is true there is more financial value in the Trophy than Cup, (I dont use sponsors names as I cant always remember them, I am fairly sure the numbers in your post are inaccurate.

The figure I have heard this season was £8000 for each win in the group games of the Trophy and nothing for the first round win in the league cup

Brightside

Youth Team Starter
Well that rules out the Carabao Cup on both counts!
All teams in the League Cup are first teams, if teams choose to make 11 changes and concentrate on other competitions that should be up to them.

I'd like to see a Champions League place offered to the FA cup winners, that'd make that tournament be taken more seriously by all.

Ladderman

Reserve Team Hopeful
While it is true there is more financial value in the Trophy than Cup, (I dont use sponsors names as I cant always remember them, I am fairly sure the numbers in your post are inaccurate.

The figure I have heard this season was £8000 for each win in the group games of the Trophy and nothing for the first round win in the league cup
20k for participating in the trophy
10k for a win. 5k for a draw regardless of penalty shootout

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
All teams in the League Cup are first teams, if teams choose to make 11 changes and concentrate on other competitions that should be up to them.
Well yes, but the point is the competition has lost much of its popularity and credibility as a result, just as the EFL Trophy has for opening itself up to B teams. Different situations but similar outcome. Bottom line is people aren't that interested in watching non-first team players (even if they're rather good) and both competitions are in decline as a result, compounded further in the case of the Trophy by fears that it may be a thin end of a wedge of getting EPL B teams into the EFL. I don't see either competition having much of a future in their current form.

Re leohoenig's point, I too was surprised at the Carabao Cup figures as, certainly in recent seasons, I understood there'd been no prize money at all up until either the QF or SF (I forget which). Maybe they've done a bit of redistributing as a result of BCD, though the amounts involved seem very tokenistic if they have.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Different sources give different amounts, for example

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks