Least Used Railway Station - Groundhopping

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
Yes, I'm aware of Combe station but as Ancient Wolf said, we're supposed to restrict our nominations to Saturdays where there is a viable train service.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Yes, I'm aware of Combe station but as Ancient Wolf said, we're supposed to restrict our nominations to Saturdays where there is a viable train service.

Sorry, hadn't noticed the Saturday-only bit... :giggle:

I was living in Ryde on the Isle Of Wight in 1991, when the new Smallbrook Junction railway station opened that summer, connecting the Ryde~Shanklin line with the Isle Of Wight steam-railway to Havenstreet and Wootton.

The station was ideally placed for anyone wanting to watch Ryde Sports FC at the nearby Smallbrook Stadium, except that the station was/is strictly for holidaymakers to interchange onto a steam train, and not for locals taking a short-cut.

Sometime in September 1991, with the confidence you get from carrying a monthly season-ticket and photo-ID, I got off at Smallbrook Junction, waited for the steam train to chuff away into the distance, then jumped off the platform and climbed an access gate used during the station's recent construction, then cut across the farmland to the ground. I did it again with a mate shortly after, but I sponged lifts back into Ryde after final-whistle, so never did the stunt in reverse.

Smallbrook Junction is still an interchange-only station, but I'd guess that the perimeter fencing is more secure these days, and the vegetation barrier more substantial...

Ancient Wolf

Junior Team Sub
Karb seems to be right. Bearley is getting the same timetable service as Claverdon currently. I think that trains that would have gone through without stopping pre-pandemic now stop. Bearley has about 1000 passengers a year or (barely 3 a day) so Bearley United Blues of the Stratford Alliance is my current leader and only five minutes from the station. There is also a bus service to and from Wilmcote and Stratford-upon-Avon on a Saturday.
Bordesley is only getting the one stopping train on a Saturday afternoon towards Great Malvern. No point stopping the match day trains while no fans allowed at St Andrews for Birmingham or Coventry. It is the least used West Midlands station with about 24000 passengers.
When the 20/21 figures are announced Bordesley must be a contender for the biggest percentage drop possibly into the top 10 least used in the UK.

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
Gainsborough Central near Trinity used to have extremely low usage, has only moderately increased in recent years
That's a good suggestion. I believe it has a better service now, but when Central had a service of only three trains in each direction a week, there was one from Sheffield which arrived at a pretty convenient time on a Saturday. There was a long wait after a game, however, so it made more sense to walk down to Gainsborough Lea Road.

Closer to home for me, but still fairly high in the pyramid, Chassen Road station is very close to Trafford FC, but only has a train every two hours in each direction, despite its urban location, Most people would be able to walk it from Urmston which has a better service. Chassen Road seems to be surprisingly well used, despite its poor service, so may not quite fit this thread.

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Boston United
Spondon - can be used for Graham St Prims and Borrowash Victoria, only used the station once - mainly because I've got a direct bus (Indigo) that drops me off closer to the grounds.

I've used Spondon for a GSP match before. There was a decent chippy halfway between station and ground.

A good 15 minute walk with a lovely pub outside the ground. Visiting teams always went for food in the place after the games

I ticked off that ground to see Real United. Walked into the pub next door at about 2pm, ordered food and just about made it out for kick off.

I used the very low usage Darnall for a match at the Don Valley (Parramore Sports when they played there). Also I'm not sure how many people will have used Newark Castle station for Newark FC - as it was about a 2 mile walk.

Cherryhopper

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Drayton Park, right next to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium but no trains stop there within a few hours before and after a match so football fans can't use it.

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
Drayton Park, right next to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium but no trains stop there within a few hours before and after a match so football fans can't use it.
When I made my first visit to the Emirates, the train I was on did alight there so perhaps I was lucky? It's in a very densely populated area so will have high usage throughout the week.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks