League One - going up and going down

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Tonight's scores at the top of League One...

1620171178703.png

...meaning that Blackpool are now confirmed in the play-offs. They're now in third place, ahead of Sunderland.

Charlton's win keeps them in contention for the play-offs, but they must get a better result than both Portsmouth and Oxford United to make sixth place.

Whichever of Portsmouth, Oxford United or Charlton Athletic finishes in the final play-off place, none of them can finish better than sixth place, and so will play their semi-final against whoever of the already-qualified sides finishes in third-place (presently Blackpool).

Sunday's fixtures for play-off standings/qualification, and all the contenders are at home...

Blackpool v Bristol Rovers

Charlton Athletic v Hull City

Lincoln City v AFC Wimbledon

Oxford United v Burton Albion

Portsmouth v Accrington Stanley

Sunderland v Northampton Town

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Two play-off places... four clubs...

Pick your favourite celebrity fan!

Timmy Mallett - Oxford United

View attachment 12350

Fred Dinenage - Portsmouth

View attachment 12351

Jim Davidson - Charlton Athletic

View attachment 12348

Prince William - Blackpool (and others, apparently, when he's not at the rugger...)

View attachment 12349
I did have to look twice, I thought it was a Have I Got News For You odd one out question, who isn't in the running for Numpty Of The Year.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
He was the closest I could find to someone masquerading as a celebrity fan for Blackpool.

Good job Lincoln City aren't one of those four - I can't find clues to a single celebrity Imps fan...
Graham Kelly, former FA Executive, is allegedly a Blackpool fan.

You're right about Lincoln City, unless you count my father.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
The only celebrity Lincoln City fan I can recall is John Inverdale, former BBC Sport presenter.
Wasn't Bernie Taupin linked with Lincoln City many many years ago?

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
He was born near Sleaford, not far from Lincoln, but that's about it, as far as I know. Brought up in the same village as some of my ancestors, too.

SME

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford Park Avenue, Sutton United, Northwood
Wasn't Bernie Taupin linked with Lincoln City many many years ago?
I seem to remember that one of his associates might have been keen on football ?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I seem to remember that one of his associates might have been keen on football ?
So do you think they discussed managers before Graham Taylor moved from Lincoln to Watford?

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Final day of the season in League One...

Good luck to Pompey this afternoon - beating Accrington Stanley will be far from easy... (y)

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Final day of the season in League One...

Good luck to Pompey this afternoon - beating Accrington Stanley will be far from easy... (y)
A Portsmouth Supporter worrying about playing Accrington shows the fascinating fluidity of the Football League system.

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Oxford United it is 4 star performance.

Dancing in the streets of Cowley.

pitch 63

Reserve Team Starter
Three un-named Football League clubs, who I understand have either family or non-football business connections amongst directors, are in discussion with a leading London-based legal practice about Restraint on Trade.

It is my understanding that there may be a joint action against both the Football Association and the Football League over the transfer windows preventing the clubs from trading normally and that this is against current UK legislation. The amount of damages being considered runs into millions.

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
He had good reason to be worried..............

Probably for the best anyway... Had we made it into the play-offs, all we'd have achieved is a couple of stuffings at the hand of Blackpool, and the upper echelon of the club would yet again be telling the supporters that it's been "a positive season" and "progress has been made". At least this cocking-up of our own destiny is a proper illustration of failure, and well-paid people at the club will now have unavoidable questions to answer.

Our home form in an empty Fratton Park has been appalling this season, ranked only 15th in the division (though admittedly Sunderland's and Lincoln's weren't much better, and Charlton's was actually worse) - maybe that shows the strength of having 18,000 angry locals on the players' backs to get them motivated. Particularly irritating was hearing a couple of club voices on the radio before kick-off spinning that old clique "We're doing it for the fans." Well, here really was a genuine opportunity to do just that, because a win would have a least allowed a couple of thousand season-ticket holders in to watch a play-off first leg - but of course footballers never really do it for the fans, and most of our lot have been so insipid this season that they know they probably won't be back again anyway.

I'm surprised at how little difference Danny Cowley has made over the past six weeks. Apparently he took the job after spotting Pompey's apparently easy last dozen fixtures, and the board were impressed that he only asked for a short-term contract til the end of the season (other candidates for the position were demanding a lot more). However, out of that supposed easy run-in, he managed to conjure up four fairly woeful defeats: to Burton, MKDons, Accrington and Swindon, while also seeing us lucky/struggle against the likes of Rochdale, Crewe Alexandra and Bristol Rovers. May well be changes all round next season...

As for today, our man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray, who single-handedly prevented us taking a first-half stuffing - that's not really what you want to hear in a must-win match. The out-field lot bucked their ideas up a bit in the second-half, but not by anywhere near enough. Stanley are a good side and deserved to win, but the fact that Stanley also played with more determination and desire than Pompey is pretty unforgivable on such an important day with our destiny in our own hands.

In truth, and despite the embarrassment, I think we might have actually had a lucky escape here... :confused:

Cousse

Junior Team Regular
Wow, gotta say I didn’t see Pompey not beating Accrington at all, thought that was a banker to be honest.

Anyone but Sunderland to win the play offs would be good. Having watched the excellent Sunderland ‘till I die NetFlix series the words utterly deluded comes to mind for a large majority of their fans.

Also felt for Jack Ross as he came across as a decent bloke tbh and I’m glad he’s doing well at Hibernian now.

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Wow, gotta say I didn’t see Pompey not beating Accrington at all, thought that was a banker to be honest.

Anyone but Sunderland to win the play offs would be good. Having watched the excellent Sunderland ‘till I die NetFlix series the words utterly deluded comes to mind for a large majority of their fans.

Also felt for Jack Ross as he came across as a decent bloke tbh and I’m glad he’s doing well at Hibernian now.

Unfortunately, I think I spotted this particular banana skin about eleven days ago, when Accrington ran rings around us at their place. It finished 3-3, but Stanley were again the better side...

I said at the start of this thread that I fancied Blackpool to go all the way, and I think I'll stick with that.

GoldenMiller34

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Millwall
Probably for the best anyway... Had we made it into the play-offs, all we'd have achieved is a couple of stuffings at the hand of Blackpool, and the upper echelon of the club would yet again be telling the supporters that it's been "a positive season" and "progress has been made". At least this cocking-up of our own destiny is a proper illustration of failure, and well-paid people at the club will now have unavoidable questions to answer.

Our home form in an empty Fratton Park has been appalling this season, ranked only 15th in the division (though admittedly Sunderland's and Lincoln's weren't much better, and Charlton's was actually worse) - maybe that shows the strength of having 18,000 angry locals on the players' backs to get them motivated. Particularly irritating was hearing a couple of club voices on the radio before kick-off spinning that old clique "We're doing it for the fans." Well, here really was a genuine opportunity to do just that, because a win would have a least allowed a couple of thousand season-ticket holders in to watch a play-off first leg - but of course footballers never really do it for the fans, and most of our lot have been so insipid this season that they know they probably won't be back again anyway.

I'm surprised at how little difference Danny Cowley has made over the past six weeks. Apparently he took the job after spotting Pompey's apparently easy last dozen fixtures, and the board were impressed that he only asked for a short-term contract til the end of the season (other candidates for the position were demanding a lot more). However, out of that supposed easy run-in, he managed to conjure up four fairly woeful defeats: to Burton, MKDons, Accrington and Swindon, while also seeing us lucky/struggle against the likes of Rochdale, Crewe Alexandra and Bristol Rovers. May well be changes all round next season...

As for today, our man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray, who single-handedly prevented us taking a first-half stuffing - that's not really what you want to hear in a must-win match. The out-field lot bucked their ideas up a bit in the second-half, but not by anywhere near enough. Stanley are a good side and deserved to win, but the fact that Stanley also played with more determination and desire than Pompey is pretty unforgivable on such an important day with our destiny in our own hands.

In truth, and despite the embarrassment, I think we might have actually had a lucky escape here... :confused:
Can you pinpoint a reason why Marcus Harness has been less effective in the second half of the season?

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
Well, as someone who predicted play-off glory for Pompey under the Cowleys, time to eat some humble pie.
Hard to tell what the problem is - Pompey went close for a number of seasons under Kenny Jackett and maybe the mindset of the 'nearly men' has been hard to change.
Then again, maybe the Cowleys, after great success in non-league and continuing the momentum with Lincoln to League 1, are not able to go higher than that, as evidenced by their spells with teams such as Huddersfield or Pompey. Too limited? Or maybe they need time to bring in their own players and have a full season (they weren't even given a full season at Huddersfield, IMO a poor decision by the owner)? Since their contract is up in the summer, it will be interesting to see which way the board goes. Oxpete's summary of things Fratton is, as usual, spot on.
Accrington were a tough opponent, having drawn with Charlton, Sunderland and Pompey in recent weeks, Strange, because they lost 0-7 at Peterborough and 1-5 at home to AFC Wimbledon 4-5 weeks ago.

As for the playoffs now... Blackpool are definitely the form team, the manager has done a fantastic job there, Sunderland have got a lot of pressure and, like Pompey, have been there before, and Lincoln (whose manager has also done very well) and Oxford are probably outsiders, but dangerous outsiders at that. My heart says Lincoln, but my head says Blackpool beating Sunderland in the final (hopefully that will put the kiss of death on them).

On the other hand, I did pick the top two (out of three) and got the bottom four right!

Last edited:

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Can you pinpoint a reason why Marcus Harness has been less effective in the second half of the season?

General consensus has been declining confidence and tiredness under Kenny Jackett's style of play. Jackett would often play him out of position, leading to Harness getting knackered, and then Jackett would sub him much later in matches than he perhaps should've. Despite one or two better performances under the Cowleys, that confidence hasn't come back.

He was consistently very good until taking a bit of a kicking in the 0-0 at home to Fleetwood in December. Since then, he's still had occasional good performances (notably the wins away at Hull and at home to Ipswich, plus Bristol City in the cup), but has all-too-often become increasingly anonymous and lightweight.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock