League One - going up and going down

Northstandexile

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
If Peterborough gain promotion will they have to get rid of any standing terraces.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
If Peterborough gain promotion will they have to get rid of any standing terraces.
I'd expect they'll get to keep it for a set time period. Brentford kept theirs at Griffin Park for quite some time (based on the fact that the were building their new ground), and Wycombe Wanderers still have their terraced home end.

Northstandexile

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
I thought originally teams were giving three years grace, but Peterborough have already had the three years grace some time ago. I thought Brentford only got the extension due to their ground move that was planned.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Today's scores from the early afternoon kick-offs...

1618679627738.png

Well, the Danny Cowley honeymoon period is well and truly over (though Portsmouth are arguably in probably a slightly better position than if Kenny Jackett were still at the helm, so small mercies). Jeez, so much for that bloody easy run-in. Next up for Pompey is Swindon away on Tuesday

The only silver lining is that Sunderland's form over their past three matches is even worse than ours - three defeats on the bounce now, meaning they're now eight points behind Peterborough with fifteen points left to play for. On the down-side however, that means a very strong Sunderland side destined for the play-offs (though maybe I shouldn't worry anymore, what with Pompey's chances narrowing by the week...)

Hull City made heavy weather of beating Fleetwood, but got there in the end. I heard on the radio that, should Hull beat Sunderland in midweek, they'll be promoted.

At the bottom, another win for a Rochdale side who suddenly look on really good form. However, a win for Wigan Athletic as well might mean it's just too late for Dale...

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Bloody 'ell, the news just goes from bad to bleedin' worse...

1618684395327.png

I've just finished listening to BBC Radio Idiotshire, with Oxford United coming from two-down with less than twenty minutes to go to win 3-2 against Gillingham. Enough to move Oxford back into the play-off places by one goal at Portsmouth's expense.

Looks like it's getting worse for Swindon Town, as they lose again to go rock-bottom. That's AFC Wimbledon's third win on the bounce.

Here are Oxford United's remaining matches. Tuesday's trip to AFCW might be tricky, but the other three matches look piss-easy...

20/4 ... AFC Wimbledon (a)
24/4 ... Plymouth Argyle (H)
1/5 ... Shrewsbury Town (a)
9/5 ... Burton Albion (H)

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Top of League One tonight...

1618685220793.png

Of that lot, Charlton Athletic have a couple of matches in hand, and are in some fine form at present. However, they do have at least three tough matches still to go...

20/4 ... Plymouth Argyle (a)
24/4 ... Peterborough United (H)
27/4 ... Crewe Alexandra (H)
1/5 ... Accrington Stanley (a)
4/5 ... Lincoln City (H)
9/5 ... Hull City (H)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Meanwhile
1618733490353.png

Most bookmakers have Cheltenham, Cambridge and Bolton Wanderers for the automatic places. Bolton had been on such form, I thought they would be favourites for the title, but you can still get about 10/1 on them. Cheltenham visit Stevenage on Tuesday, where their league record is played 5, lost 5. Morecambe v Bolton is on Saturday. At the other end, Grimsby's win over Bolton has not lifted them ad they are seven points behind Colchester which in turn beat Walsall. Southend travel to Colchester on Tuesday which may be the last chance to keep the gap between the Essex sides close - Conference fans are already expecting to go to Grimsby (again) and Southend.

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Boston United

MacAnthony is aware of this, and I think he said they will look to bolt on a load of seats onto the home terrace to keep up capacity.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Posh are due to move to a new stadium in the Embankment area of the city in January 2023 so it'll not be a great problem for the fans.

Brightside

Reserve Team Sub
Meanwhile
At the other end, Grimsby's win over Bolton has not lifted them ad they are seven points behind Colchester which in turn beat Walsall. Southend travel to Colchester on Tuesday which may be the last chance to keep the gap between the Essex sides close - Conference fans are already expecting to go to Grimsby (again) and Southend.
Tuesday is a must win for Southend. Colchester's form until yesterday seemed to indicate they'd be overtaken.

Arguably a bigger Essex derby than in 2006.

Grimsby need to make their game in hand count and hope Colchester don't pull away by beating Southend.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Get your spectacles out...

An updated version of that League One run-in grid, nicked off of the Oxford United fans forum, but put together before Saturday's results...

1618786387140.png

...and some more 'difficulty ratings' graded out of 3...

Hull City ..... 1.6
Peterborough ... 1.83
Sunderland ... 1.83

Lincoln City ... 1.71
Blackpool ... 1.43
Portsmouth ... 1.33

Oxford Utd ... 1.2
Charlton Ath ... 2.0
Ipswich ... 1.17

Gillingham ... 1.6
Accrington ... 1.83
Doncaster ... 1.86

So much for Pompey and Ipswich having piss-easy run-ins the last time this chart was put together :(.

Oxford's fans have now given themselves the easiest apparent chance, with Charlton still given the most difficult run-in. What with Lincoln City's results improving of late, I'd guess that the most likely play-off candidates will be Sunderland, Lincoln City, Blackpool and one from Oxford, Pompey or Charlton for the fourth place.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
A full programme of fixtures on Tuesday night in League One...

1618797640801.png

...with the biggie being Hull City v Sunderland. I've read somewhere that a win for Hull will confirm their promotion back up to the Championship.

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
I've read somewhere that a win for Hull will confirm their promotion back up to the Championship.
A win for Hull would leave Sunderland unable to catch them, but it would only confirm promotion if Lincoln lose and Blackpool don't win. So probably one more result needed to be sure. I suspect whoever started the idea on a win being enough had forgotten that there are other teams with a game in hand over Sunderland.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Get your spectacles out...

An updated version of that League One run-in grid, nicked off of the Oxford United fans forum, but put together before Saturday's results...
Nice to Oxford United do have some uses after all 😉

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Boston United
That would give awful viewing lines and a lack of legroom.

True, but they are planning a new stadium. If it's the price of promotion, I'm sure they'll take it.

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Nice to Oxford United do have some uses after all 😉
The ground does as it's the main vaccination centre for the area.

The local radio station and it's commentary team are hopeless and their general knowledge of football is Nil. Only worth listening to between 5.50pm and 6.00pm on a Saturday evening.

GoldenMiller34

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Millwall
I fancy Charlton to nab the final PO spot - Adkins has been a breath of fresh air.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks