League Cricket 2020

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Wondering about the lowest score recorded by an ECB Premier League club.

I know the 2020 season is a bit of an oddball but last Saturday (5/9), in a Jack Bland Trophy, Western Group fixture, Barnsley Woolley Miners (Geoffrey Boycott's old club) were dismissed for 19 in 11.4 overs at Yorkshire South Premier League rivals Hallam, who had posted 88 in 37.

On the same afternoon, lower down the pecking order, in the Halifax League's third tier, Brighouse club Augustinians were all out for 14 at Cullingworth, who replied with 16-0. The game was done and dusted in 94 deliveries!

Football Shorts

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None
Neutral

I know the 2020 season is a bit of an oddball but last Saturday (5/9), in a Jack Bland Trophy, Western Group fixture, Barnsley Woolley Miners (Geoffrey Boycott's old club) were dismissed for 19 in 11.4 overs at Yorkshire South Premier League rivals Hallam, who had posted 88 in 37.

On the same afternoon, lower down the pecking order, in the Halifax League's third tier, Brighouse club Augustinians were all out for 14 at Cullingworth, who replied with 16-0. The game was done and dusted in 94 deliveries!
Our standard is a bit lower than this, but some of the wickets at the moment are awful and umpires seem to want to play in some quite bad conditions too. In a game I saw the other week, a batsmen plonked his front foot out to make a cover drive and slipped in mud. Just carried on.

Then you are getting scores like Hoylandswaine v Denby Dale. Hoylandswaine scored 456/3 off 30 overs, 1 lad scored 316no off 113 balls, 21 fours and 34 sixes. Then you find out that they are 7 divisions above their opponents in a cup competition with a 35yd boundary. Unbelievable.

I suppose at least we are getting some cricket in.

AndyE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None.
The lowest I know of in an ECB Premier League is the 18 made by Beckenham v Bexley in the Kent Premier in 2018.

In lower levels of league cricket there have been a fair number of single digit totals. In a Southern League 2nd XI game sometime in the 80s (covered in The Cricketer at the time), Bournemouth II bowled Alton II out for 0.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Then you are getting scores like Hoylandswaine v Denby Dale. Hoylandswaine scored 456/3 off 30 overs, 1 lad scored 316no off 113 balls, 21 fours and 34 sixes. Then you find out that they are 7 divisions above their opponents in a cup competition with a 35yd boundary. Unbelievable.
I mentioned that game (despite being T30, what passes as a league match in 2020, rather than a cup tie) in one of the many other cricket threads. There were a few mitigating circumstances, chiefly that Denby (not Denby Dale) fielded a reserve strength team. I don't know why. In a normal season, Hoylandswaine and Denby are just two tiers apart in the Uddizfeald League, though, as you probably know, the former inhabit a different financial planet to every other club in the comp. Many will tell you it's a shame Hoylandswaine's poor ground prevents them buggering off to a higher ranked league.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Amended semi-finals for the North East Premier League's 40 over, pink ball comp on Saturday (12/9, noon start). Looks as though some resolution has been found to last weekend's unplayed Newcastle v Crook Town quarter-final (PP owing to an incidence of COVID-19 at Newcastle).

Banks Salver
Chester-le-Street v Benwell Hill
South Northumberland v Burnmoor

Banks Salver Plate
Burnopfield v Washington
Newcastle v Sunderland

Banks Salver Plaque
Whitburn v Lanchester
Sacriston v Blaydon

Football Shorts

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None
Neutral
I mentioned that game (despite being T30, what passes as a league match in 2020, rather than a cup tie) in one of the many other cricket threads. There were a few mitigating circumstances, chiefly that Denby (not Denby Dale) fielded a reserve strength team. I don't know why. In a normal season, Hoylandswaine and Denby are just two tiers apart in the Uddizfeald League, though, as you probably know, the former inhabit a different financial planet to every other club in the comp. Many will tell you it's a shame Hoylandswaine's poor ground prevents them buggering off to a higher ranked league.
Thanks for the additional info. It wasn't a dig at anyone, more a case of looking at the weird season. I know they fielded a 2ndXI, but the info I read was that they informed the league before hand of their intentions.
Though I still don't get the need for piling it on like they did.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
The Halifax League has declared void its final round of fixtures, on September 26-27.

Tim Helliwell, league secretary, told the league website: "The reasoning is to allow clubs time to complete end of season work on their grounds and our deep concerns about clubs being able to field teams and ensure any form of integrity of the competition is upheld. Looking at the last weekend’s fixtures from the voting it appears that 70% of matches throughout the various divisions would likely be called off.

"Clubs wishing to play the planned fixtures on the weekend of September 26-27 can talk to one another and if they wish to go-ahead they are at liberty and indeed encouraged to do so but league points will not be at stake.

"As we all know this has not really been a season but after all we have and are going through the fact that we have been able to see cricket played should be seen as a great success."

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Church & Oswaldtwistle will host Sunday's (13/9) Lancashire League President's Cup final. Ramsbottom provide the opposition at West End. Start time TBC (noon, likely).
Starts at 1pm, according to lancashireleague.com. Ex-Milnrow pro Neil Hornbuckle will be the home team's acting pro. Neither team has lost in the 2020 competition.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Surrey Slam has reached the knockout stages of its Midweek Cup:

1/9 (1715) Valley End Vikings 250/4 bt Woking Tigers 59
6/9 (1030) Woodmansterne 157/8 bt Merton Mammoths 113/8
6/9 (1400) Old Hamptonians 105/3 bt Whiteley Village 104
7/9 (1700) Sinjun Grammarians 134/6 (18) v Roehampton Royals 134/8 (18) - Roehampton won by losing fewer wickets.
7/9 (1715) Ashford 112/2 bt Hounslow Leopards 111
7/9 (1730) Effingham Ships 61/2 bt Newdigate Earthquakes 60
8/9 (1715) Thursley 198/6 bt Bradstone Bears 195/6
9/9 (1700) Chaldon CMO 49/7 bt Outwood 47

Quarter-Finals
12/9 (1530) Chaldon CMO v Effingham Ships
13/9 (1000) Roehampton Royals v Woodmansterne
13/9 (1300) Valley End Vikings v Bradstone Bears
13/9 (1400) Old Hamptonians v Ashford

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Surrey Slam - Sunday Knockouts

Quarter-Finals
13/9 (1200) Badshot Lea v Woking Tigers (Group B 1st v 2nd)
20/9 (1530) Slinfold v Salfords (Group C 1st v 2nd)

Winners will be joined in Finals Day on 27th by the top 2 in Group A, which looks like being Kingstonian and Spencer with a round of fixtures still to play.

OwdReds

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Accrington Stanley & Others
The Lancashire League Presidents Cup Final has been switched to Ramsbottom and admission will now be limited to members of both clubs.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
A few finals before the 2020 season ends (first club mentioned hosts unless stated):

Sunday, September 13
Northern Premier League, T20 Final (2pm)
Fulwood & Broughton v Netherfield

North Yorkshire & South Durham League, Readman Cup (T20) Final (2pm)
Barnard Castle v Marton

Saturday, September 19
Lincolnshire Premier League, Play-Off Final @ Bourne CC (11.30am)
Grantham v Lindum

Sunday, September 20
North Yorkshire & South Durham League, Kerridge Cup Final (12.30pm)
Thornaby v Richmondshire

Last edited:

AndyE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None.
One I can add to those:

Saturday 19 Sep
Northamptonshire League Premier Final: Peterborough Town v Old Northamptonians (11.00 tbc)

Peterborough Town have won every game they've played this season by a comfortable margin and will be strong favourites.

It's become clear in the last couple of years that they're a bit too good for the one of the weaker ECB Premier Leagues. League cricket in "North Anglia" really needs a whole new structure, but there are too many vested interests.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday, 19th September

North East Premier League

Banks Salver Finals (40 overs, noon start)

Banks Salver
Chester-le-Street v Burnmoor

Banks Salver Plate
Ashington v Sunderland

Banks Salver Plaque
Blaydon v Lanchester

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday, 19th September

Bradford Premier League

Gordon Rigg League Cup Finals (40 overs, noon start)

Premier Division: Pudsey St Lawrence v Townville

Division One: Baildon v Pudsey Congs

Division Two: Jer Lane v Sandal

Division Three: Crossbank Methodists v Scholes

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday, 19th September

Cumbria League, Premier Division T20 Cup, Final (12.30 start)

Furness v Keswick @ Furness Park, Barrow

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday, 19th September

Derbyshire Premier League, Play-Off Final (12.30pm)

Denby v Spondon @ The Copper Yard, Denby

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Saturday, 19th September

North East Premier League

Banks Salver Finals (40 overs, noon start)

Banks Salver
Chester-le-Street v Burnmoor

Banks Salver Plate
Ashington v Sunderland

Banks Salver Plaque
Blaydon v Lanchester
Must be some doubt over whether these will take place with the new lockdown in the North East, or if they do, spectators might not be allowed.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Surrey Slam Midweek Cup Quarter-Finals
12/9 (1530) Chaldon CMO 128/7 lost to Effingham Ships 129/7
13/9 (1000) Roehampton Royals 107/8 lost to Woodmansterne 153/2
13/9 (1300) Valley End Vikings 145/8 lost to Bradstone Bears 151/5
13/9 (1400) Old Hamptonians Lions 192/6 bt Ashford Jets 141/9

Finals Day - Sunday 20th September @ Horsley & Send CC
Semi-Finals (both 1130)
Old Hamptonians Lions v Effingham Ships
Woodmansterne v Bradstone Bears

Final between 1500 and 1730 according to twitter. Semi-Finals NOT being played at the home clubs' grounds as listed on Play-Cricket. Looks like Horsley has two pitches, one either side of the pavilion so presumably one Semi-Final will take place on Pitch 2.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks