Last ditch attempt to find the Champions of the Northern Amateur League (Tyneside)

QVC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
BPA fc
I can confirm some of the information on Percy Main Amateurs, as I am researching their history. They were competing in the Northern Amateur League from 1946/47 to 1967/68, joining the Northern Alliance in 1968/69. They were Northern Amateur League Champions in 1947/48, 1963/64, 1964/65, the Northern Amateur League Cup in 1967/68 and the Northumberland F.A. Amateur Minor Cup in 1970/71. I believe there are others I may not yet have but hopefully, I can find! I have used the British Newspaper Archive, too, it is a great information source, but you are relying on the print being clear enough to scan well. Lots of detail can be missed because the words are mis-read. There are also some gaps in the years covered and some individual days not there (perhaps the papers were not printed due to an industrial dispute?) but, hey, if it were easy, it would be no fun! Good luck with your search and if I can help any further, I will!
Thanks for the Percy Main details- it all helps. I know just how complicated non league history in the North East is. There was a huge number of clubs in every small town/village and keeping track is enough to send you bananas!

Kebel9

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Percy Main Amateurs
Bob Barton's 'Non League Football Review' for 1986 has a partial list:

58/59- West Allotment Celtic
59/60- West Allotment Celtic
60/61- New York United
61/62- New York United
62/63- Walker Naval Yard
64/65- Percy Main Amateurs
65/66- Newburn
66/67- Corbridge Rangers
67/68- Marine Park
72/73- Rosehill Villa
73/74- Willington St. Aidan's
74/75- Forest Hall

63/64 - A piece in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 12 August 1964 begins 'Percy Main Amateurs, last season's Northern Amateur League champions, are holding a trial match....' According to their website and Wikipedia, Percy Main left the Tyneside League in 1938 to join the Northern Amateur League and remained there until moving to the Northern Alliance in 1968.

Wikipedia also says that they tied for the championship in 1964/65 but if this is correct I cannot trace who with; Bob Barton has them as sole winners.

I can find three League Cup finals listed for the period:

60/61- Seaton Sluice United v Swan Hunter's Welfare at North Road, Wallsend - result not reported;
67/68- Marine Park v Percy Main Amateurs at Naval Yard, Walkerville - Percy Main won according to Wikipedia;
72/73- Rosehill Villa 2 Blue Star Welfare 2, replay at Newton Park, High Heaton on 30.4.73 - result not reported.

Hope this helps.

On Wednesday 1st September 1965, Percy Main Amateurs played Naval Yard at Marine Park's ground in the 1964/65 Northern Amateur League Championship deciding match. I haven't been able to find a report of the game as yet! I'll keep looking!

BigAl

Junior Team Sub
Thanks BigAl,

Information very much appreciated -helping me to fill in the gaps!

Would you be able to check if the Bob Barton book has any reference to the Northern Combination- I have a list of champions and league cup winners but I am trying to build up a list of Combination members between 1958-75. Some clubs may be listed as winners of subsidiary cup competitions-again any information would help!
Forgot to mention that at least two of the Northern Combination championships were decided by play-offs:

1969-70 - Whickham beat unknown opposition;
1970-71 - Swalwell beat Whickham - first match 0-0 after extra time, replay at Avenue Park, Swalwell on 25 May 1971, cannot see a report or a score

QVC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
BPA fc
Thanks Big Al,

If you are interested in tracking club histories in the Northern Combination/Northern Alliance I learned the following from a Blaydon local historian-

Blaydon Casuals entered the Northern Alliance in the early sixties , having formed as a Youth club team. They left to join the Combination as Blaydon Central.

Winlaton Central formed in the early 60s through a merger of two Winlaton pit teams. Winlaton Central enjoyed success in the Tyneside League before joining the Northern Combination as Winlaton West End (backed by the West End Social Club). By 1974 West End had hit financial difficulties and moved to the Hallgarth Social Club- rebranding as Winlaton Hallgarth.

I find this stuff absolutely fascinating- all from a local chap who played in the early sixties-seventies.

Having traced other club histories it seems like the Combination and Northern Amateur league took many new clubs from the Tyneside and South East Northumberland Leagues. Nothing formal- just a direct route to progress.

BigAl

Junior Team Sub
Thanks Big Al,

If you are interested in tracking club histories in the Northern Combination/Northern Alliance I learned the following from a Blaydon local historian-

Blaydon Casuals entered the Northern Alliance in the early sixties , having formed as a Youth club team. They left to join the Combination as Blaydon Central.

Winlaton Central formed in the early 60s through a merger of two Winlaton pit teams. Winlaton Central enjoyed success in the Tyneside League before joining the Northern Combination as Winlaton West End (backed by the West End Social Club). By 1974 West End had hit financial difficulties and moved to the Hallgarth Social Club- rebranding as Winlaton Hallgarth.

I find this stuff absolutely fascinating- all from a local chap who played in the early sixties-seventies.

Having traced other club histories it seems like the Combination and Northern Amateur league took many new clubs from the Tyneside and South East Northumberland Leagues. Nothing formal- just a direct route to progress.
Cheers QVC, very interesting. Helps to tie some more loose ends together!

A Northern Combination was formed in 1897 but the league handbook for 1964-65 only shows champions and cup-winners from 1934-35, and certainly I cannot see any mention of it in the press between 1928 and 1935. Do you know if the league did continue during this period or if 1934-35 is a reformation date?

pitch 63

Reserve Team Sub
I have a very early season league table for both 1928-29 and 1929-30

SEASON 1928-29 - INCOMPLETE
DIVISION 1
BLACKHALL MILL1100312
LINTZ COLLIERY1100212
CHOPWELL RANGERS1001120
MEDOMSLEY1001130
SEASON 1929-30 - INCOMPLETE
DIVISION 1
BLYTH SPARTANS RESERVES1100522
SHANKHOUSE1100402
WEST MOOR1001250
CRAMLINGTON R W1001040

and also a report that Shankhouse played in the league in 1930-31

QVC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
BPA fc
Cheers QVC, very interesting. Helps to tie some more loose ends together!

A Northern Combination was formed in 1897 but the league handbook for 1964-65 only shows champions and cup-winners from 1934-35, and certainly I cannot see any mention of it in the press between 1928 and 1935. Do you know if the league did continue during this period or if 1934-35 is a reformation date?
Hello Big Al,

Its all very confusing- I think the leagues that formed in the late 1800s would have been separate short lived affairs. When you look at the number of early competitions in Durham/Northumberland the numbers are bewildering- many seem to cover tiny geographical areas and all tend to merge/collapse after a few years.

The tables from Pitch 63 are interesting in that the 28/29 table features clubs from the Consett/North west Durham/Gateshead area. The 29/30 table features clubs from South East Northumberland.

My own feeling is that the Northern Combination as we know it started in 1934/35. There may well be a Northern Alliance connection- Between 1926-35 the Northern Alliance had merged with the North Eastern League. The Northern Alliance returned as an independent competition in 1935/36.

With both the formation dates being so close some kind of link may have been at play-perhaps just the ambition to form a stable county level competition.

Just a theory but seems possible.

BigAl

Junior Team Sub
I have a very early season league table for both 1928-29 and 1929-30

SEASON 1928-29 - INCOMPLETE
DIVISION 1
BLACKHALL MILL1100312
LINTZ COLLIERY1100212
CHOPWELL RANGERS1001120
MEDOMSLEY1001130
SEASON 1929-30 - INCOMPLETE
DIVISION 1
BLYTH SPARTANS RESERVES1100522
SHANKHOUSE1100402
WEST MOOR1001250
CRAMLINGTON R W1001040

and also a report that Shankhouse played in the league in 1930-31
I've found six more teams that played in the Northern Combination in 1928-29 - Crookhall Colliery, Burnhope Institute, Consett Reserves, Gun Park, Grove Park, Derwentside Blues. No tables though, and the main source for this league, the Newcastle Journal, disappears from the BNA after 1928.

I've also answered my own question about the continuity of this league - the Shields News of 1 June 1931 refers to the Northern Combination as 'now defunct' (which I assume to mean that 1930-31 was its final season).

1929-30 is actually the North East Combination, formed in 1929 either by a renaming of the Whitley and District League or by a merger of this league with the Blyth & District League (I've seen both versions). The Blyth and District League (formed 1904) certainly closed in 1929 with Ashington Colliery Welfare, Newbiggin West End, New Delaval Villa, and Shankhouse all joining this new league.

The North East Combination didn't last long, closing in 1933. Tables as shown in the press are attached (none of them balance - plus several other errors).

Attachments

• NE Combination.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 8

QVC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
BPA fc
I've found six more teams that played in the Northern Combination in 1928-29 - Crookhall Colliery, Burnhope Institute, Consett Reserves, Gun Park, Grove Park, Derwentside Blues. No tables though, and the main source for this league, the Newcastle Journal, disappears from the BNA after 1928.

I've also answered my own question about the continuity of this league - the Shields News of 1 June 1931 refers to the Northern Combination as 'now defunct' (which I assume to mean that 1930-31 was its final season).

1929-30 is actually the North East Combination, formed in 1929 either by a renaming of the Whitley and District League or by a merger of this league with the Blyth & District League (I've seen both versions). The Blyth and District League (formed 1904) certainly closed in 1929 with Ashington Colliery Welfare, Newbiggin West End, New Delaval Villa, and Shankhouse all joining this new league.

The North East Combination didn't last long, closing in 1933. Tables as shown in the press are attached (none of them balance - plus several other errors).
That's a detailed piece of research with some famous and historic club names in the mix. The name "Combination" being used by several leagues really does cloudy the waters. You have inspired me to subscribe to the British Newspaper archive and research the Newcastle Journal for other league memberships. I will be looking for information on the North West Durham Combination (yet another combination) for details of Chopwell clubs and trying to find out which league Kibblesworth Colliery Welfare played in in 1958/59.

BigAl

Junior Team Sub
That's a detailed piece of research with some famous and historic club names in the mix. The name "Combination" being used by several leagues really does cloudy the waters. You have inspired me to subscribe to the British Newspaper archive and research the Newcastle Journal for other league memberships. I will be looking for information on the North West Durham Combination (yet another combination) for details of Chopwell clubs and trying to find out which league Kibblesworth Colliery Welfare played in in 1958/59.
I would always recommend a BNA subscription for the sheer variety of what can be found (and not just football!). For your purposes, you might struggle a bit with anything before 1939 as local paper coverage is intermittent but after this date the Newcastle Journal and Newcastle Evening Chronicle have a complete run up to 1995. They carry comprehensive fixture lists and you sometimes find the odd table. I think it's definitely worth a go - and as a new subscriber you might get an introductory discount!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks