Knappan

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Star
The old football game of Knappan was played in West Wales. Does anyone know the full extent of the area in which it was played? (Wikipedia is very wrong with its opinion).

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
The old football game of Knappan was played in West Wales. Does anyone know the full extent of the area in which it was played? (Wikipedia is very wrong with its opinion).
Not many will have heard of Cnapan, being an obscure Welsh ball game that's been effectively extinct for a century or more.

Gets a passing mention in "Uppies and Downies" by Hugh Hornby (English Heritage - 2008) and looks like a cross between an Ashbourne Shrove Tuesday match and something that Genghis Khan's hordes might once have played, albeit not necessarily with a ball as such.

P.S. Might also be helpful if you could hint at why exactly (the normally always reliable) Wikipedia is wrong as regards Cnapan.

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Star
From what I'm being told it is still played on occasions and the initial area I thought it covered is in fact much wider.

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
From what I'm being told it is still played on occasions and the initial area I thought it covered is in fact much wider.
Doubt Cnapan has been played seriously since Rugby (Union) came to the fore in the late Victorian era.

What areas do you reckon it was once played in? Pembrokeshire? Cardiganshire? Elsewhere in South Wales?

Cnapan 1.jpg
Cnapan. No such concept as a "friendly" match (!)

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Star
It was played in Northern Carmarthenshire; also South Ceredigion and parts of Pembrokeshire north of a line drawn through Haverfordwest.

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
It was played in Northern Carmarthenshire; also South Ceredigion and parts of Pembrokeshire north of a line drawn through Haverfordwest.
The Wikipedia article on Cnapan (which hasn't been edited recently) suggests that the game originated in, and seems to have remained largely confined to, the western counties of Wales, especially Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.

You mentioned upthread in post #1 that Wikipedia was very wrong in its opinion.

How exactly? :unsure:

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks