June 4th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I'm sure Leo would have had the same thread starter but I wanted to get my two pennuth in first and he can add to it or otherwise if wanted :)

China gets pretty bad press these days. Dumping subsidised cheap steel on Europe to ruin their industries and corner the market, Huwawei.. need I say more, reported source of the Covid 19 virus, current effective 'absorption' of Hong Kong into mainland China against all legal agreements etc etc... it's a long list.

It's not a recent phenomena however as back in 1989 on this day we had the Tianeman Square massacre. If you're logging in from China something you may not have heard of as it's on the state censored list to this day.

People, mostly students had been peacefully occupying the Square from April in protest, demanding democratic reform. On June 4th the Chinese Army moved into the Square from 3 directions in tanks randomly firing on unarmed protestors to clear the area.

Nobody knows how many died. Probably thousands. It was condemned around the World. Two days later the incident was immortalised by an unknown protestor standing in front of a tank column leaving the square which was filmed and the footage smuggled out of China concealed in a box of tea.

You may have had tea on this day or not but if it was at football or any other sporting event then where was it.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Having spent a lot of time in China, I naturally believe that nothing happened on June 4 1989 in China.

So, I would have led with Ali Khamenei being made supreme leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran, or Solidarity winning the Polish elections

And this video is from the 5th June, anyway!

(and it must be fake news - try getting to meet Tank Man now)

Ricardo

Junior Team Regular
I'm sure Leo would have had the same thread starter but I wanted to get my two pennuth in first and he can add to it or otherwise if wanted :)

China gets pretty bad press these days. Dumping subsidised cheap steel on Europe to ruin their industries and corner the market, Huwawei.. need I say more, reported source of the Covid 19 virus, current effective 'absorption' of Hong Kong into mainland China against all legal agreements etc etc... it's a long list.

It's not a recent phenomena however as back in 1989 on this day we had the Tianeman Square massacre. If you're logging in from China something you may not have heard of as it's on the state censored list to this day.

People, mostly students had been peacefully occupying the Square from April in protest, demanding democratic reform. On June 4th the Chinese Army moved into the Square from 3 directions in tanks randomly firing on unarmed protestors to clear the area.

Nobody knows how many died. Probably thousands. It was condemned around the World. Two days later the incident was immortalised by an unknown protestor standing in front of a tank column leaving the square which was filmed and the footage smuggled out of China concealed in a box of tea.

You may have had tea on this day or not but if it was at football or any other sporting event then where was it.

The vulture

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
The event that lead to the death (on June 8th) of Emily Wilding Davison, suffragette, who died after being hit by the King's horse Anmer at the Epsom derby.

Queen Mary later without sympathy described her as a "horrid woman".

One of them furthered the rights of both women and men in gaining universal suffrage in the UK....the other was a Royal parasite.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Regular
Has Retro WDYG finished now then .... this seems to be more of a General Chat thread ?

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I used to like this thread.

Back to the football-

Saturday @ 15-00.

At Wembley Stadium.
England 1 v 2 Scotland.
British Home Championship.

1977 England V Scotland Programme 04/06/1977
Singer Rod Stewart is visible among the hordes of jubilant Scottish fans who invaded the Wembley Stadium pitch after their famous British Championship win over England in 1977

Hope they caught the ring leader , I certainly don't think he's sexy.

England - Ray Clemence , Phil Neal , Mick Mills , Brian Greenhoff , Dave Watson , Emlyn Hughes , Trevor Francis , Mick Channon (1) , Stuart Pearson , Brian Talbot , Ray Kennedy.
Subs - Trevor Cherry for Greenhoff , Dennis Tueart for Kennedy.
Manager - Don Revie.

The invasion begins on 43 minutes.

Scotland - Alan Rough , Danny McGrain , Wilie Donachie , Tom Forsyth , Gordon McQueen , Bruce Rioch , Don Masson , Kenny Dalglish , Joe Jordan , Asa Hartford , Willie Johnston.
Subs - Archie Gemmill for Masson , Lou Macari for Jordan.
Manager - Ally MacLeod.

Referee - Karoly Palotai (Hungary).

Scotland came to Wembley not having won there since 'Slim Jim' engineererd a victory to enable Scotland to become 'World Champions' in 1967.
They came hoping to retain the British Championship and to give their hopes of aiding momentum to World domination again in Argentina 78.

It was a fine display by the team and a disgraceful show by the fans.
Wembley and the FA were partly to blame as they had wanted pitch barriers put in at Wembley by this fixture but there was a problem with the manufacture of the fences and they hadn't arrived in time.

Scotland had an unchanged team from the win over N Ireland while England made 3 changes from the home loss v Wales , 2 enforced through injuries in Francis for Keegan and Talbot for Brooking. It was Clems turn in goals while Hughes took the captains armband from Keegan.

On the pitch Scotland were good with Masson and Johnston having fine games and Scotland retained the Championship with goals by McQueen and Dalglish.
McQueens was a typical header from a Hartford free kick in the 43rd minute and the second a Dalglish prod in after a goalmouth scramble on the hour.

A Francis theatrical dive from a McQueen rash challenge gave England a glimmer after 87 mins with a penalty which was despatched by Channon , alas too late to make a difference and it was the Scots celebrating in the way they know best.

The best thing about this for England was that it hastened the mercenary Revies exit.
He was missing from Englands next game on June 8th away in Brazil , his excuse was he was scouting at the Finland v Italy game. Lying get , he was in the Emirates discussing wages with UAE for the vacant managerial post there.
Les Cocker took over the reigns as England manager for that one , Revie was back in charge for the Argentina game on June 12 and the last game of the tour in Uruguay on the 15th.

Step in Greenwood for the home game v Switzerland in Sept , 77. Good riddance 'mercenary'.

I do hope prorege has a photo of a banner I saw that day quoting ''Revie must stay''. ?

Final Standings.
Scotland. 3 2 1 0 5- 1 5
Wales 3 1 2 0 2- 1 4
England 3 1 0 2 3- 4 2
N.Ireland 3 0 1 2 2- 6 1

18 x games , (12 + 6 summer) ,1 x 0-0, Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock (15 x foreign ).

Some others of interest.

1999 Papatoetoe 0 v 2 Ellerslie.
2000 Bellinzona 0 v FC Zurich.
2005 HJK 2 2 Alliansi.

So we go from the Scottish invasion to the British et al evacuation.
300,000 evacuated by June 4th.
Allied evacuation of Dunkirk

Last edited:

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
As we build up to the big anniversary of the birth of American actor Slim Pickens later this month (he might as well be honorary patron of these threads from now), for the third day running I have just one match to report:

1994: 2nd Bundesliga - FC St Pauli 4 - 1 Waldhof Mannheim - Att: 20,600

I had seen them as an away team a couple of times, but this was my first visit (of three so far) to the Millerntor-Stadion to see St Pauli at home. The fans were then at the height of their anti-establishment, right-on, dogs-on-string period and the assembled throng were a sight to behold. Naturally we left laden down with skull and crossbones T-shirts etc and for years tried to get over for at least one of their fixtures somewhere. I found the whole atmosphere of the club very appealing.

The ground was very basic at this time. Not knowing the lie of the land, we stood on the terraced end opposite the bunker end (I think it's the south end) and I did again on each subsequent visit. It's really the away end, but there were few here from Mannheim today. St Pauli were fourth in the table, but conceded a first minute penalty, 0-1. But it was pretty much one way traffic after that.

After the match we were drinking in one of the many dubious little bars that abound in the area and got talking to two Hansa Rostock supporters who had been to the game. When we explained that at home we were partial to the O's they said "Ah yes, we saw your flag at the match". It turned out that at the front of the terrace where we were standing, but out of view to us, there had been a large St George's flag with Leyton Orient written across the horizontal. It was months later that I discovered that it belonged to good friend Matt B from Hornchurch who had also been at this game unknown to us.

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday June 4th 1977
Home International Championship
England v Scotland, 1-2, H.T. 0-1, Att 100,000
At Wembley Stadium

I was one of the estimated 150,000 Scots who travelled to London for this game, most without tickets. I did have one of the precious items – and at the time it felt like the achievement of an ambition to be part of the huge crowd heading towards Wembley.

The match, and its associated disorder, needs to be set in a social context. The young people of Scotland were starting to stir in the mid 1970s. They were starting to really question the imbalance of power within the UK. This was a generation that had grown up after the War and didn’t share the feelings of Britishness of their parents. They were starting to feel that Scotland was being kept in a state of economic and political serfdom. They saw a British state prepared to put the army on the streets in Northern Ireland and to dispense with democracy through internment and wanted none of that.

The opportunity to “invade” England en masse was not to be missed. We sang about how we hated England – not the English, I add – but England. We hated the conflation of England and the UK as one and the same thing. Careless broadcasting by “national” tv channels didn’t help. Victory on the football field was one of the few opportunities to put one over on the colonial masters and boy how we celebrated. National pride was at stake and this was one way in which it could be demonstrated.

The vandalism at Wembley was wrong. In the ground it was mainly good-natured with goalposts and turf being carried off as trophies rather than out of any desire for destruction. We could have burned Wembley to the ground if we had wanted to.

Away from Wembley there were some disgraceful incidents with perpetrators on both sides. I look back on it as a strange surreal experience. The people who were at Wembley that day, myself included, are now in their late 50s and 60s. Many of them are the people who have been behind the rise of Scottish nationalism and the enfranchisement of the Scottish nation, both as politicians and as voters. Westminster’s attitude to Scotland hardened with the election of Thatcher in 1979 and the rigged referendum with the Cunningham amendment. But the stirrings for democracy of Wembley 77 partially bloomed in the 1990s and the approach of the ordinary Scot changed. England is closer to being an equal partner to Scotland although there is still work to be done. . Scots have a more studied and considered approach towards demonstrating national pride than they did back then. For those like me who do not particularly seek independence it is frustrating that Westminster is regressing into old Anglo-centric ways. The SNP don’t have to do very much pro-active to increase their support these days – Boris and C hums are doing their work for them

Being just short of 18 I, of course, had a sober weekend. Base camp was the Green Man near Euston Station. Scots from different areas had their own pubs where they congregated – Aberdonians tended to be in Victoria and Dundonians near Knightsbridge somewhere. I stayed with pals in a dirty and overcrowded B and B across the road from King’s Cross Station. Some of us paid. I expect we got the tube out to Wembley. At the time Scotland looked like they had a really good football side. Hopes were high of qualification for Argentina 78. The game is a blur but I shall avail myself of the highlights provided by Hoddy earlier in the thread.

I might come back later in the day and report on the 4 Nations Tournament finale at Scarborough in 1983, which was another June 4th venture into England.

wembley 77.jpg

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
R 🏉 L
Telstra Premiership @ Anzac Stadium. Sydney.
Canterbury - Bankstown - Bulldogs 40.
Sydney Roosters 12.
Adm. $25.
Prog. $2.50.
Att. 22,572.

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Groes/Nantglyn v Llangynhafl 0-2

1999 JJB Sports Super League IV Warrington Wolves v Halifax Blue Sox Won 31-18

2000 Tetleys Super League
(An on the road game @ Rodney Parade, Newport RUFC, later also to be home to Newport County FC and Newport Gwent Dragons RUFC)

London Broncos Warrington Wolves Won 18-28

This was a bit of a carnival atmosphere really. It was a sunny afternoon and I think you could go anywhere within the ground, although it may have been a separate entrance for seating. I was stood and recall changing ends, or at least sides for one half. I think we were pretty much in control on the pitch.

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanrhaeadr Lost 1-3

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Llangynhafl 6-2

2010 Ayrshire Evening Times Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final
Irvine Meadow XI v Rutherglen Glencairn 2-0

Another classic Juniors ground with the large main stand and terracing around much of the rest of it being the most notable features. No programme but I was able to collect an old one from their Scottish Cup tie v Arbroath, which I think was from earlier that same season. A friendly club. Lots of choice on the tea bar with pies and bridies aplenty. I think one of each may have been sampled. A very pleasant evening out at The Medda and just twenty minutes from our base for the week.

1591255796626.png

2011 ACA Sports East Region Super League Bo'ness United v Tayport (T262) 2-1

Another Juniors gem even if not quite what it once was with the old main stand out of action. Just the changing rooms and offices beneath it were still in use, which I was given a brief tour of by the secretary. On the opposite side was a large covered standing terrace. There was open terracing at either end. No prog but again I had arranged to collect an old one which was kindly brought to me during the game. It was the long journey home after this but a ground very much worth visiting, even in its diminished state.

1591255838759.png

1591255858327.png

I would have revisited here on the March hop as the only revisit that weekend, until it had to be postponed.

2012 Stagecoach West Region Super League Division One
Shotts Bon Accord v Glenafton Athletic (T305) 3-2

The Juniors gems keep on coming. This saw an oval track around the ground with a large covered terrace down one side and open terracing around the much of the rest of the ground. I had started up a conversation with their secretary the previous Saturday when they were the visitors to Hurlford United and arranged to collect and old programme from them then. None was issued for this match. I was also given a tour of the boardroom with its fabulous collection of memorabilia adorning the walls. There was a good atmosphere for this game too with a sizable contingent from New Cumnock. I have yet to see a game at Glenafton Athletic. It is on the to do list, along with too many others.

1591255941127.png

McBookie.com Scottish Juniors East Region Premier Division

Kennoway Star Hearts v Dundee Violet (T374) 1-1

This was a bit of a rural outpost for football being on the edge of the village of Star in the Fife countryside. It was pleasant set up with cover down one side and otherwise fully enclosed. It was a short walk from the car park to the pitch up a track and through the fields on what was a bright sunny afternoon. There was no programme but I had an old one at home. It was a game that saw a few hoppers present including Harry from Birkenkead with his Wirral/Chester/Merseyside mates, whose names I have forgotten (sorry lads).

2018 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Caerwys v Cefn 0-4

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 4th June 2011

England 2 Switzerland 2 (84,459)

After going 2 goals behind an out of sorts England came back for an undeserving draw in this Euro 2012 qualifier. Two first half free kicks from Tranquillo Barnetto gave the Swiss a firm grip on the game.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Umbro Cup
Sweden v Brazil 0-1
@Villa Park

First day of Yorkshire v Kent @Abbeydale Park in Sheffield.
Kent were skittled out for 118 in their first innings (Cowdrey 47, Sidebottom 6 for 30)
Yorkshire were all out for 170,( 'Chilly' Old 61, Shepherd 5 for 40)

Kent also made 170 in their second innings and Yorks eventually limped home by 2 wickets

Another game at Abbeydale Park, this time Yorkshire took on Derbyshire.
A fine 172 by Hill and 73 by Jean-Jacques (last wicket partnership of 132) saw Derbys to 398 all out

Yorks declared their first innings on 259 for 7 (Metcalfe 67, Holding 4 for 70)

Derbys declared their second innings on 140 for 2 (Hill 76, Morris 53), then bowled out Yorkshire for 180 (Boycott 69, Holding 5 for 28) to win by 99 runs

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Regular
2014 McBookie.com Scottish Juniors East Region Premier Division

Kennoway Star Hearts v Dundee Violet (T374) 1-1
Bit of a coincidence. When I visited two years later on the same date in 2016 (Saturday), the same fixture was played and it ended with the same score.

Also on this date I have been to 6 other matches. Will post a bit more about one of them once I have dug out the programme.

Ricardo

Junior Team Regular
1988 Caen 2 Lyon 0(agg 3-2)French 2nd Division play offs
Stade de Venoix crowd 10,500

On 6th June 1986 on the 42nd anniversary of D-Day a new ferry service was launched from Portsmouth to Ouistreham in Normandy which is quite close to the city of Caen, so it seemed appropriate to use the new service(in those pre Eurostar days)to access this important match in the fight for promotion. On arrival by the connecting bus from the ferry terminal in town, I had a few hours to kill so I jumped on a train heading towards the nearby town of Bayeux where I had a look at the famous tapestry, coincidentally for the first time it will be exhibited in London in 2022 after the French turned down 2 previous requests in 1953 and 1966.
Caen had finished 2nd in their group which gave them a home tie in the first play off at home to Ales which they managed to win only on penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time whereas Lyon had managed to get past Mulhouse in their home semi final. Lyon were favourites for the tie and in the first leg took a 2-0 half time lead but Caen managed to pull one back in the second half so the first leg ended 2-1. Caen’s new ground is impressive but the old one with a velodrome round it was barely suitable for any crowd exceeding 5,000 with quite poor sight lines for those on the terraces but I managed to squeeze myself into a spot where I could see a reasonable amount of the pitch. Half time came and went with no goals for the locals to cheer but early in the second period a header by Scipion from a free kick put Caen ahead but with away goals not counting double this was not enough to secure victory. Just as extra time loomed large Caen scored a last minute goal to secure a 2-0 win amid ecstatic scenes. After this, Caen still had to play Niort, who had finished 3rd bottom of the top flight, home and away, but they won this 4-1 on aggregate to secure their first ever promotion to the top division.

1997 England 2 Italy 0 Tournoi de France
Stade de la Beaujoire, Nantes crowd 25,000

Leaving behind the tennis at Roland-Garros, my brother and I jumped on a train heading west towards Nantes where years earlier on a family holiday in 1980 we had managed to persuade our parents to take us to a French league game against Bordeaux at the old Stade Marcel Saupin, little knowing that within 4 years the old ground would be replaced by a gleaming new one for Euro 84. The tournament was a dry run for the World Cup the following year, and with England being closer to Nantes than Italy there seemed to be a lot more English fans there although the locals were keen to see what it was all about too and a decent crowd turned up. At that time obviously the spectre of hooliganism was in the back of the minds of the locals and there were a fair number of police about but as it transpired it was a very friendly occasion and I was able to use my French to chat to a few people on the tram to and from the ground as well as in the city to reassure them that some of us were actually human despite what they may have read in the papers.
The game itself was a more comfortable than expected 2-0 win for England with first half goals from Ian Wright and Paul Scholes. England had won 2-0 in Poland the previous weekend in a World Cup qualifier so could have been forgiven for taking it easy with a decent Italian side containing the likes of Zola, Nesta, Cannavaro and Ferrara in opposition and the superb ground(in contrast to Caen)and decent weather all left me with a fine memory of the trip. England went on to beat France in Montpellier then despite a loss to Brazil in the Parc des Princes went on to lift the trophy.BBB64754-245E-4C87-A124-DE91106BFA8B.jpeg

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1994 SJFA Ayrshire Regional Lge, Div 1: Glenafton Athletic 5 Irvine Meadow XI 3 (att 220)
Recent photos of Loch Park show a much neater stand and terracing than was there for my visit.

1077.jpg

1998 Oxfordshire Senior Lge, Div 1: Long Crendon 3 Hook Norton 1 (120)
I can't remember why this game was played so late in the season. The large crowd must have been boosted by hoppers, and there was a programme.

1654.jpg

2005 SJFA Fife League: Newburgh 1 Rosyth Recreation 4 (80)

2629.JPG

2008 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 3: Ribchester Rovers 8 Black Horse 3 (40)

Unsure if Ribchester had a winter league side in 2008, but they do now and this was at the same ground they use in the Mid Lancashire League.

3121.jpg

2011 North East Scotland League: St Combs 3 Invercairn United 3 (76)

3603.jpg

2015 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 2: Hambleton Spartans 8 Fulwood Park Rangers 0 (33)

4238.jpg

2016 SJFA North Region, Super Lge: Inverness City 3 Bridge of Don Thistle 0 (24)

Not sure if there's anything left of Inverness City's short-lived Lister Park ground inside Bught Park. While I had sympathy with the club's plight, it's hard to believe they couldn't find a permanent venue capable of staging North Region Junior football without having to rely on Highland Council.

4414.jpg

2017 Moray and District Welfare Lge: Rothes Amateurs 9 Macduff 0 (29)
At Recreation Park, close to Rothes FC's Highland League ground. Rothes Amateurs missed last year's welfare league, but were due to return this year.

4546.jpg

norwich6

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 4th June 2005
French Amateur Championship
Calais v Chalons at Stad Julien Denis
Score 3-0 ht 1-0 Admission 8 euros No programme
Attendance in region of 1800
Roland and I met Eddie Cook and Dennis Woods in Rainham
and Eddie kindly drove down the A2 to Dover. He parked up
there and we went over to Calais as foot passengers on the
catamaran. When we got to Calais we had plenty of time to find
the ground and then go for a meal before the game.
The first half of the match saw little in the way of goalmouth action
but Calais led through with a penalty given for a trip.
In the second half Calais went two up with another penalty again
given for a trip, A third penalty was awarded to Calais but this time
it was saved by the Chalons keeper. Chalons then tried hard to get
back into the game but missed several chances. Perhaps inveitably
Calais then scored a third goal as Chalons threw men forward.
Whilst the crossing had been quite smooth on the way over it
was certainly not on the way back and the catamaran pitched
and tossed in a rough sea. Some poor lady lay on the floor being ill
and turned the proverbial green and many others felt queasy !
I think we were all glad when we docked in Dover
Eddie didn't feel fit to drive for 15 to 20 minutes !
Still an enjoyable and memorable day.
Think 2005 was the last year of catamaran sailings and it ceased to
run that November.

Rugby League
Sunday 4th June 2000
Like Wiretown Editor I was also at London Broncos 18 Warrington 28 ht 6-12
at Rodney Parade Newport. Attendance 4174
I was a season ticket holder at Broncos that season
and they laid on a free coach from the Valley to Newport. A really enjoyable match
in which Allan Langer was superb for Warrington.

Sunday 4th June 2006
Two matches at Old Parish Ground Maesteg
Bridgend Blue Bulls 48 Swansea Valley Miners 22 kick off 12 noon
Half time 28 4 Admission £2.50
Had been to the Speedway Grand Prix at Cardiff on the Saturday evening
won by Jason Crump then stayed overnight at Porthcawl so a shortish
drive to Maesteg on the Sunday. Blue Bulls scored the opening try
after 2 minutes, Valley Miners were better in the second half and
managed to keep the score to a respectable level

Second Match National League Two
Celtic Crusaders v Keighley Cougars
Score 58-18 half time 36 0 Admission £8 Programme £2.50
Attendance around 400
A very one sided game in which Crusaders were 24 0 ahead after
25 minutes. Keighley scored two late tries in the match.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1994 SJFA Ayrshire Regional Lge, Div 1: Glenafton Athletic 5 Irvine Meadow XI 3 (att 220)
Recent photos of Loch Park show a much neater stand and terracing than was there for my visit.

View attachment 2165

1998 Oxfordshire Senior Lge, Div 1: Long Crendon 3 Hook Norton 1 (120)
I can't remember why this game was played so late in the season. The large crowd must have been boosted by hoppers, and there was a programme.

View attachment 2166

2005 SJFA Fife League: Newburgh 1 Rosyth Recreation 4 (80)

View attachment 2167

2008 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 3: Ribchester Rovers 8 Black Horse 3 (40)

Unsure if Ribchester had a winter league side in 2008, but they do now and this was at the same ground they use in the Mid Lancashire League.

View attachment 2168

2011 North East Scotland League: St Combs 3 Invercairn United 3 (76)

View attachment 2169

2015 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 2: Hambleton Spartans 8 Fulwood Park Rangers 0 (33)

View attachment 2170

2016 SJFA North Region, Super Lge: Inverness City 3 Bridge of Don Thistle 0 (24)

Not sure if there's anything left of Inverness City's short-lived Lister Park ground inside Bught Park. While I had sympathy with the club's plight, it's hard to believe they couldn't find a permanent venue capable of staging North Region Junior football without having to rely on Highland Council.

View attachment 2171

2017 Moray and District Welfare Lge: Rothes Amateurs 9 Macduff 0 (29)
At Recreation Park, close to Rothes FC's Highland League ground. Rothes Amateurs missed last year's welfare league, but were due to return this year.

View attachment 2172
Recreation Park in Rothes was home to Junior side Rothes Decimals for many years. They played home Junior Cup ties at MacKessack Park so that a gate could be taken.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Recreation Park in Rothes was home to Junior side Rothes Decimals for many years. They played home Junior Cup ties at MacKessack Park so that a gate could be taken.
Thanks. Was going to add that I thought it was previously a junior ground, but wasn’t sure of the facts.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Saturday June 4th 1977
Home International Championship
England v Scotland, 1-2, H.T. 0-1, Att 100,000
At Wembley Stadium

I was one of the estimated 150,000 Scots who travelled to London for this game, most without tickets. I did have one of the precious items – and at the time it felt like the achievement of an ambition to be part of the huge crowd heading towards Wembley.

The match, and its associated disorder, needs to be set in a social context. The young people of Scotland were starting to stir in the mid 1970s. They were starting to really question the imbalance of power within the UK. This was a generation that had grown up after the War and didn’t share the feelings of Britishness of their parents. They were starting to feel that Scotland was being kept in a state of economic and political serfdom. They saw a British state prepared to put the army on the streets in Northern Ireland and to dispense with democracy through internment and wanted none of that.

The opportunity to “invade” England en masse was not to be missed. We sang about how we hated England – not the English, I add – but England. We hated the conflation of England and the UK as one and the same thing. Careless broadcasting by “national” tv channels didn’t help. Victory on the football field was one of the few opportunities to put one over on the colonial masters and boy how we celebrated. National pride was at stake and this was one way in which it could be demonstrated.

The vandalism at Wembley was wrong. In the ground it was mainly good-natured with goalposts and turf being carried off as trophies rather than out of any desire for destruction. We could have burned Wembley to the ground if we had wanted to.

Away from Wembley there were some disgraceful incidents with perpetrators on both sides. I look back on it as a strange surreal experience. The people who were at Wembley that day, myself included, are now in their late 50s and 60s. Many of them are the people who have been behind the rise of Scottish nationalism and the enfranchisement of the Scottish nation, both as politicians and as voters. Westminster’s attitude to Scotland hardened with the election of Thatcher in 1979 and the rigged referendum with the Cunningham amendment. But the stirrings for democracy of Wembley 77 partially bloomed in the 1990s and the approach of the ordinary Scot changed. England is closer to being an equal partner to Scotland although there is still work to be done. . Scots have a more studied and considered approach towards demonstrating national pride than they did back then. For those like me who do not particularly seek independence it is frustrating that Westminster is regressing into old Anglo-centric ways. The SNP don’t have to do very much pro-active to increase their support these days – Boris and C hums are doing their work for them

Being just short of 18 I, of course, had a sober weekend. Base camp was the Green Man near Euston Station. Scots from different areas had their own pubs where they congregated – Aberdonians tended to be in Victoria and Dundonians near Knightsbridge somewhere. I stayed with pals in a dirty and overcrowded B and B across the road from King’s Cross Station. Some of us paid. I expect we got the tube out to Wembley. At the time Scotland looked like they had a really good football side. Hopes were high of qualification for Argentina 78. The game is a blur but I shall avail myself of the highlights provided by Hoddy earlier in the thread.

I might come back later in the day and report on the 4 Nations Tournament finale at Scarborough in 1983, which was another June 4th venture into England.

View attachment 2159
Merely the flip-side of the same ugly, shameful, colonialist-framed, buck-passing coin that stirred-up disenfranchised young people in Ingerlund to venture on those unmissable opportunities to "invade" Europe in the 80s. Pathetic.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks