June 3rd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) married Wallis Simpson on this day in 1937, following the abdication in the previous year. Co-incidentally (or maybe not), Edward VIII's father George V was born on this day in 1865

That's enough for the royalists, how far did you go for football on the date?

The vulture

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
The birth of New Zealand's finest rugby player, Colin Meads.

The death of the greatest, Muhammad Ali.

Sporting royalty.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Thursday @ 19-30.
Inter City Fairs Cup Final. (2nd leg).
@ Elland Road , Leeds.
Leeds 1 v 1 Juventus. (Agg 3-3 Leeds win on Away Goals.)

Allan Clarke gives Leeds the lead at home to Juve

Leeds United - Gary Sprake , Paul Reaney , Terry Cooper , Billy Bremner , Jack Charlton , Norman Hunter , Peter Lorimer , Paul Madeley, Mick Jones , Allan Clarke (1), Johnny Giles.
Sub - Mick Bates for Madeley.
Manager - Don Revie.

Juventus - Roberto Tancredi , Luciano Spinosi , Sandro Salvadore , Francesco Morini , Gian Petro Marchetti , Fabio Capello , Guiseppe Furino , Helmut Haller , Franco Causio , Pietro Anastaasi (1), Roberto Bettega.
Manager - Cestmir Vycpalek.

Referee - Rudi Glockner (East Germany).

''Leeds had applied for permission to have the match televised by the BBC after the two parties agreed a £10,000 deal. The Football Association rejected that request out of hand, arguing that there was enough televised football already in the shape of the European Cup final between Ajax and Panathinaikos at Wembley the night before.

It seems an archaic attitude these days, but the FA were steadfast, a spokesman saying, "As far as we are concerned there is no live showing of the Fairs Cup final. A second application will not alter that decision. We have told Leeds of our decision and that is final.
Also, there will be no highlights of the match televised on Thursday evening , one live football match on television a week is enough."
How times change and not for the better.

Sod TV , I find being there much better than creaming oneself in the armchair , we seem to have a few of that variety on here ?

Anyway after a pit stop in Crewe after Wembley it was off to Leeds for the last ever Inter City Fairs Cup game and the 2nd leg of the Final in 1970/71 season. Leeds were in a great position after gaining a 2-2 in the first leg in Turin.

Revie picked an unchanged team from the first leg while Vypcalek replaced the injured Massimo Piloni who had a broken finger. He was a possible change after his first leg performance anyway.

The first half was decent end to end stuff with Leeds opening the scoring with 'Sniffer' scoring after a goalmouth scramble after only 12 minutes. After a long free kick was aimed to the back post Charlton headed back into the centre when it was cleared but only to Clarke who fired home. Leeds were going for the long ball aimed at Jones and the Italians were struggling with these tactics.
Juve however equalised on 20 mins when Anastasi beat his man drifted wide and slotted it past Sprake. Leeds were dominant for the rest of the half and were the better side.

The half time team talks must have centred on defence as the second half saw Leeds happy with the draw and Juve reluctant to attack in fear of being picked off.
Leeds guile and defensive qualities were enough to see them through.

20 x games ,( 14 + 6 summer) ,1 x 0-0, Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock (17 x foreign ).

Some others of interest.

1992 Sigma Olomouc 1 v 3 Slavia.
2005 TP 47 0 v 1 MyPa
2018 Kuktosh 0 v 2 Istiklol.
Heavyweight Boxing Champion Muhammad Ali

Last edited:

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
1989 - Leyton Orient 2 Wrexham 1 (Division 4 play off final 2nd Leg) (13,355)
Following a goalless encounter @ the Racecourse ground 4 days earlier, this was a different game as just over 13,000 crammed into Brisbane Road for a lunchtime kick off to decide who would make it into Division 3 for the following season & it went to the O's thanks to goals from Lee Harvey & a winning goal from Mark Cooper after Jon Bowden had levelled for the Welshman just after half time.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
World Cup Qualifier.
England 3 Poland 0.
Adm. £12.50.
Att. 69,203.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday June 3rd 1978
West of Scotland Junior Cup Final
Arthurlie v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, 1-0, H.T. 1-0, Att c.1000
At Somervell Park, Cambuslang

I never seemed to be away from Glasgow on Spring / early Summer Saturdays around this time. With Scottish Cup Finals, Junior Cup Finals and Home Internationals to see it was a well-trodden path out to Hampden.

On this Saturday there was a slight deviation to take me to Somervell Park, Cambuslang. The occasion was the West of Scotland Junior Cup Final, contested by two of the great old names of Junior football. Thankfully it was an Ayrshire-free occasion making the fixture more attractive all round.

Arthurlie hail from Barrhead, near Paisley. One time Seniors – they once beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup – they have a fantastic home ground at Dunterlie Park. Rob Roy, from Kirkintilloch, to the north of Glasgow also boasted a fine home at Adamslie Park, now derelict. The venue chosen for the Final was Cambuslang. Somervell Park has barely changed in the intervening 42 years. The covered enclosure was there and the terracing was exactly as it is today. The only real difference is in the area around the ground. Back then it was a hive of activity with the huge Hoover plant behind the far goal. The Social Club was there as well. Having visited it last season I’m not sure if the carpets have been cleaned since 1978.

Arthurlie won the game 1-0 thanks to an early goal from Willie Milne. He was scoring for fun that season and was attracting attention from various senior clubs. St Johnstone, Hamilton and Partick were all reported to be after him. However, he never did go senior – perhaps when clubs performed due diligence on their prospective signing they discovered something to out them off.

I didn’t keep a note of the teams and haven’t been able to source them elsewhere. I do recall a colourful spectacle with Rob Roy in their black and red hoops and Arthurlie nin their Argentina style sky blue and white stripes.

Why did I mention Argentina? Rushing home afterwards I got there in time to settle down to watch the start of Scotland’s Argentina World Cup campaign. Scotland v Peru, in Cordoba. What could possibly go wrong? Quite a lot if truth be told. It all stated so well as Joe Jordan knocked in the opener in 14 minutes. But Scotland ran out of steam and out of ideas very quickly. Cueto equalised, then Teofilio Cubillas, a veteran of the 1970 World Cup, scored twice. To add insult to injury Willie Johnston was drugs tested after the game. It looked like he was on Mogadon but it turned out he had taken some sort of banned stimulant in hay fever tablets. Maybe we weren’t going to win the World Cup after all. The only consolation was in reminding any patronising Englanders that “You’ze didnae qualify”

somervell.jpg

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Football League Division Four - Playoff Final Leg 2
Orient 2-1(aet) Wrexham (Aggregate 2-1)
At Brisbane Road
Attendance: 13,355

Definitely the latest date for a league game that I've attended. Went with a friend who lived near the ground. Can't remember the game but I seem to recall some raucous celebrations in the ground and various pubs afterwards.

CONIFA World Football Cup - Group Game
North Cyprus 2-2 Abkhazia
At QE2 Stadium, Enfield
Attendance: 976

The final round of group games and these two teams were fighting for one qualification place. A draw was good enough for North Cyprus to qualify at the expense of their opponents and defending champions. North Cyprus started well but conceded after 21 minutes against the run of play. They soon equalised and took the lead on 77 minutes after more good pressure. Abkhazia scored from a penalty on 90 minutes but couldn't get the winner and bowed out of the competition. Putting any political sensitivities aside, I enjoyed this game and the really lively atmosphere. As for the ground, I love the Art Deco building but not the running track around the pitch.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1996 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Cefn v Llanrhaeadr 4-1

2004 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Trefnant 3-2

2006 West Region Stagecoach Ayrshire District League Muirkirk Junior v Girvan 2-5

A shared trip with Andy D to a game that was well hopped. This was a there and back in a day visit. A tidy ground that was enclosed, railed and had some cover. There was also a fairly large open terrace. There was a programme, but it did not arrive on match day, but was sent through to those that wanted one a few days later. We also took a look at the old ground up the hill away. It is quite surreal really as you can see what would have been a fairly decent ground for the level with the ruined stand base and buildings evident. Even one set of goal posts was still partially standing, some of it having rusted away.

Photos have been shown of this in the past.

2016 UEFA Women’s European Championships Qualifier Group One (@ Falkirk FC)
Scotland v Iceland 0-4

A bonus game at a ground not previously done. Only the main stand was open, but it was reasonably well filled. It is a three sided all seated stadium out on the eastern edge of town. I never got to their old ground. There was a programme and I think it was free of charge – just left in boxes in the stand foyer. There was food available, but I did not bother.

The game was fairly one sided with the result never really in doubt. Not seen many women’s games in all but the standard is definitely improving no end.

2017 McBookie.com Scottish Juniors West Region First Division Yoker Athletic v Petershill (T381) 0-6

The last day of a week away and we picked a decent ground to end on. Also met up with Andy D who had travelled up for the day. Enclosed, railed and with a decent covered stand down one side. It was needed at one point as the rain came lashing down for a time. The pies were good and on sale upstairs in the club house/changing room block. The ground did have a well-used look about it that I think has seen some redevelopment in recent years. It was an easy win for the visitors in a game with relegation avoidance riding on it for Yoker. They went down.
A trouble free home journey followed.

1591169588602.png

2019 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Nantglyn v Henllan Lost 4-3

Bigaitch

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
None in particular
1989 - Leyton Orient 2 Wrexham 1 (Division 4 play off final 2nd Leg) (13,355)
Following a goalless encounter @ the Racecourse ground 4 days earlier, this was a different game as just over 13,000 crammed into Brisbane Road for a lunchtime kick off to decide who would make it into Division 3 for the following season & it went to the O's thanks to goals from Lee Harvey & a winning goal from Mark Cooper after Jon Bowden had levelled for the Welshman just after half time.
I was also here having been at the Racecourse to watch the first leg. It was a warm day and although the official crowd was as stated by Barnetbee, the ground which then had a capacity of around 20,000 was heaving and rumours were that another 5,000 had not been declared, which would not surprise me one bit.
Lee Harvey’s opener was a superb strike right on half time with the Wrexham equaliser about 2 minutes into the second half. Had there been no further scoring then extra time would have followed at the end of which away goals would have put Wrexham up. It was getting tense when out of the blue and almost in slow motion Mark Cooper scored the winner in 84 minutes. Cooper was a fairly recent signing and had taken stick from sections of the Os crowd but had suddenly come good right at the end of the season and his goal was his sixth in the last 3 home games.
Wrexham had a chance late in but the Os held out for promotion to Div 3, and winger Alan Comfort jumped in a waiting helicopter to fly to Belfast to get married.
The following year the play offs went to Wembley, and since then Os have obtained a hat trick - of final defeats, one at Old Wembley , one at Millenium Stadium and one at New Wembley, meaning 89 to date is the clubs only play off success.

Mark

Junior Team Starter
Sunday 3 June 1990
Toronto Blue Jays 7-4 Milwaukee Brewers

American League (baseball)
Attendance: 49,702
Admission: CAD 9
Prog: 196 pages (basically 180 pages monthly mag plus 16 pages game-specific), CAD 4

My first baseball game, and a very enjoyable experience it was. Actually, it was my first trip to North America and I think I’d bought a baseball magazine from Sportspages in preparation and was a bit disappointed that stayovers in other cities - New York, Boston & Montreal - didn’t also coincide with games there.

I believe the Jays were in their second season at the newly-built SkyDome. They’d begun in 1977 as a major league expansion club playing at Exhibition Stadium, a multi-purpose venue that was never suitable for baseball, and the SkyDome represented a huge step forward. It was still multi-purpose, but the stands could be re-configured for different sports and a retractable roof meant no more games would be lost to snowstorms. We did the stadium tour one day, had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in the outfield and I remember being very impressed with it all.

However, SkyDome would probably be the last of the old-style, compromised parks as only three or four years later Baltimore Orioles would open their new ballpark that set the bar very high indeed and would prove highly influential in ballpark design over the next few decades - smaller, baseball-only, more seats nearer to home plate, aesthetically pleasing with a strong nod towards old-style ballpark design, and helping to steer downtown regeneration.

For a few years though, the SkyDome was definitely the place to be as the Jays built a great team as well as being one of the best supported. Anticipating a sell-out gate, I'd hunted out the club’s address and wrote for ticket details. I remember there being a problem - possibly tickets weren’t due to be sent out until near the date of the game - but I sent off the money in any case and pleaded my case, and the tickets duly arrived a few weeks later.

The game itself was a good one to start with - close, tense and just a couple of hits or bad pitches could have sent it either way. The Jays wouldn’t win their division in 1990, but were building a strong team with the likes of Kelly Gruber, Pat Borders, John Olerud, Dave Stieb and Tom Henke. The fans didn’t have to wait long for the team to peak as they won the World Series in 92 and 93.

Four days later we returned to the SkyDome, this time for an evening game where the Jays overcame the Minnesota Twins 10-3. I still have the newspaper cuttings from these games. Both have Andy Capp cartoons over the page - always struck me as an odd export.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
3 June 1990
Toronto Blue Jays 7-4 Milwaukee Brewers

Attendance: 49,702
. We did the stadium tour one day, had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in the outfield and I remember being very impressed with it all.
Both have Andy Capp cartoons over the page - always struck me as an odd export.
Did you meet these fans ?
See related image detail

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 3rd June 2006

England 6 Jamaica 0 (70,373)

A comfortable victory in this last match before the World Cup in Germany.
A hat-trick for Crouch followed by his robotic celebration.

Ricardo

Junior Team Regular
1989 England 3 Poland 0 as above

1997 My first(of 3 visits to date)to the French Open Tennis in Paris, or Roland-Garros as the locals know it. Me and my brother were en route to an England game in Nantes in le Tournoi and whilst he went off in search of the Stade de Colombes, I had applied several months earlier for a ticket from the UK and landed a plum centre court one on the second Tuesday. I had never seen a Brazilian tennis fan before in years of going to Wimbledon yet there seemed to be hundreds there with national flags all supporting their young hopeful Gustavo Kuerten(or Guga to his adoring followers)who was only 20 years old. I like to think I know a bit about tennis but I had genuinely never heard of him which is one of the joys of tournaments like that in that every year you see newcomers making their way towards the top. It rained a couple of times but unlike grass courts it only takes about 15 minutes to come back which is a definite bonus when you’ve forked out a large amount of money for the privilege of being there. Kuerten won the game and went on to lift the title, the first Brazilian to win a Grand Slam for 31 years since Maria Bueno won the US Open in 1966.96EC0D13-AFDE-44C6-82B1-DA5FEB2E15D8.jpeg

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1989 World Cup Qual Gp 2: England 3 Poland 0 (att 69,203) at Wembley Stadium
A Wembley revisit for the umpteenth time.

1995 3pm SJFA Ayrshire Regional Lge, Div 1: Beith Juniors 1 Auchinleck Talbot 2 (700)

1232.jpg

1995 7pm Forth & Endrick League: Drymen United 1 Aberfoyle Rob Roy 3 (56)

Pleasant village ground with some cover in front of a wooden pavilion. There was even a PA system, used just to announce the winning raffle numbers.

1233.jpg

2000 2.30pm SJFA St Michael's Cup SF: Bo'ness United 1 Harthill Royal 0 (250)
I assume this was one of the many extra cups that were done away as the juniors merged regions and trimmed their fixture lists.

1940a.jpg

2000 7pm Forth & Endrick League: Kippen 0 Killearn 5 (24)

1941.jpg

2002 SJFA Ayrshire Regional Lge, play-off 2nd leg: Troon 0 Lugar Boswell Thistle 0 2-1 on agg (200)
I think this was one of a series of post-season play-offs to determine league placings when the Ayrshire and Central Leagues merged.

2199.jpg

2004 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 3: Tanterton 2 Church Inn (Garstang) 2 (40)

2486.jpg

2006 SJFA East Region, Findlay & Co Cup SF: Montrose Roselea 3 Forfar West End 3 (123)
Another one of junior football’s mystery cups. I've just Googled and maybe it's sponsor-free title was the Currie Cup?

2780.jpg

2015 Caledonian Lge, Presidents Cup Final: East Kilbride YM 1 Hamilton FP 0 (157) at Dalziel HSFP AFC
Played on 'pitch one' at Dalziel Park, the 3G closest to the pavilion. I've assumed that's the pitch at that Dalziel HSFP normally use for home games. In 2007 I'd seen Motherwell's youth team on the grass pitch inside the running track.

4237.jpg

2017 1pm Highland Amateur Cup, 2nd round: Hill Rovers 6 Ness 6 aet 3-2 on pens (65) at Bught Park, Inverness
The lunchtime kick off was to allow Ness to travel to and from the Western Isles by ferry. This was probably the most remarkable football match I've ever seen. It was 4-4 at 90 minutes, and the final kick of extra time was a penalty that made it 6-6, before more penalties decided the outcome.

4545.jpg

2017 3.30pm Highland Amateur Cup, 2nd round: Polonia 0 IRN Security 4 (15) at Bught Park, Inverness
Extra time and penalties in the 1pm kick off should have scuppered hopes of a second match. But in another part of Bught Park this match was a late start. None of the earlier drama though, and not a new ground was it was the same pitch I'd seen an Inverness League game on in 2015.

Last edited:

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Did you meet these fans ?
See related image detail

This was also the venue of my first baseball game. Friday Sept 5th 1997 v Texas Rangers. Blue Jays won 5-1. There is a hotel attached that has some bedroom windows overlooking the stadium. Apparently one amorous couple thought the glass was one way - it wasn't and they were cheered on by the crowd until they realised they were on the big screen.
We didn't know much about baseball but thought we'd ask the people sat either side of us if we didn't understand anything - unfortunately they were tourists as well ! Anyway we enjoyed it enough to go to games at St Louis, Boston and Chicago White Sox on future trips.

No footy on this day but I did watch Essex v Lancashire at Valentines Park, Ilford 1n 1979 in the John Player League.
Lancs won easily. Essex struggled to 127 for 9 (Gooch was out for 0 off the third ball of the innings, Hogg took 4 for 23)
Lancs replied with 130 for 4 without much bother. Cannot remember much about the venue, memory not what it was.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
2004 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 3: Tanterton 2 Church Inn (Garstang) 2 (40)

View attachment 2136.
What a handsome looking chap making his way to the corner while there's a lull in play. Tram following.

30 bloody 8.

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Just one on this date for me and, unsurprisingly, I was also at Brisbane Road back in 1989.

1989: Division Four Playoff Final, Second Leg - Orient 2 - 1 Wrexham - Att: (official) 13,355

This match has been well-covered on here already. I hadn't been to the 0-0 away leg at the Racecourse Ground because I was away on holiday in Scotland, walking the West Highland Way - a trip probably booked in February when Orient lay 14th in the league table and nobody was thinking about playoff dates. Indeed, I had to leave Scotland a day early to get to this match.

It had been a remarkable turnaround for a very popular but underachieving Orient team in a season which had reached its nadir with an FA Cup second replay home defeat to Enfield. I was one of those on the pitch at the end of that game calling for the head of manager Frank Clark. To end up being promoted and to do this on our own pitch, rather than having to go to Wembley, was fantastic.

Loiner

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
None
1989- Maryhill Charity Cup Final. Petershill v Glasgow Perthshire 2-1.
1993- SJFA Eastern Div. B. Ormiston Primrose v Haddington Athletic 3-0.
1994- SJFA Eastern Div. B. Bathgate Thistle v Preston Athletic 2-0.
1995- SJFA Fife & Lothians Cup Final. at Warout Stadium, Glenrothes . Hill of Beath Hawthorn v St Andrews United 3-4.
Forth & Endrick League. Blanefield Thistle v Killearn 2-0.
2004- Also at Tanterton for Catforth & District Summer League game.
2006 The Summer League. Peter Johnson Memorial Cup Final. At Kirk Langley. Bradley v Osmaston 1-0.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks