June 19th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 2012, Julian Assange founder of wikileaks, sought refuge in the Ecudorian embassy. He stayed there for seven years after which he was imprisoned in the UK for breaking bail conditions. He now remains in prison fighting the extradition charges from the USA.

You don't have to go into hiding, just feel free to tell us where you have been

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Saturday @ 15-00.
Netherlands Amateur Champions Final (2nd leg).
vv Katwijk 7 v 2 Utrechtse SV Holland
@ Sportpark de Krom.

1006_kleine_tribune_vroeger_2.jpg

This was the beginning of big things for vv Katwijk , for the first time they won the Hoofdklasse A Div to qualify for the 3 team Saturday Amateur National Championship , their opponents in this were B & C Hoofdklasse Div winners Lunteren and Kozakken Boys from Werkendam . They won all 4 games in the 3 team play off to win the National Saturday title.

At the same time the Sunday Hoofdklasse were going through their play offs , the 3 Div winners were USV Holland , Quick '20 from Oldenzaal and Geldorp. USV won 3 of their 4 only losing to Quick '20 and qualified by 3 points..

So it was to be a National Final between USV Holland and vv Katwijk , dates were arranged with the first leg in Utrecht on Saturday the 12th of June @ 18-30 with the second leg in Katwijk a week later but at 15-00. Yes USV playing on a Saturday I hear you say , some of the Sunday teams had no objections to playing on Saturdays.
Both dates suited my plans so I went to the first leg in Utrecht and it drew a crowd of 3,500 and it was a cagey 1-1 draw , so all to play for in the 2nd leg.

So the following Saturday and it was off to the seaside and the second leg at Sportpark de Krom , Katwijk had only moved in here in 1985 and it was still a labour of love.
I was given a crowd of 6,200 for the game and they were crammed in to see Katwijk rip apart Holland with a hat trick from Hans Zwaan , a brace for Kees Kraayenoord and singles from Verghoogt and Marco de Ridder.
Van Hanegem pulled it back to 3-1 and Testa la Muta to 7-2 for the opposition.
Couple of the Katwijk goals on video , Look at the crowd on the banking behind goal in the second clip , crammed in -

It was an impressive performance by Kaatwijk and an achievement they repeated the following season when they beat STEVO from Geesteren 4-3 on aggregate in the National Amateur Final.

They started out well for the treble in 94/95 winning their Saturday Hoofdklasse division but were beaten by Ijsselmeervogels in the Saturday play/offs , losing out on goal difference.
Ijsselmeervogels went on to beat Holland 3-2 on aggregate in the National Final.

14 x games (8 + 6 Summer) , 0 x 0-0'S, Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock (12 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

1974 Bulgaria 1 v 1 Uruguay.
2007 Tulevik 0 v 1 Kuressaare.

Image result for juneteenth
A mugshot of Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar taken in 1977

Last edited:

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
I have five games on this date; and today I attended every minute of all of them.

2000: Euro 2000 - Italy 2 - 1 Sweden - Att: 30,000
Played at the Philips Stadium in Eindhoven, my second visit there having watched a PSV fixture in 1995. We had lashed out Euro 50 on top seats here so were not best pleased to find our view totally blocked by a pitchside TV camera. We spotted three unoccupied seats in an even posher section further behind and unilaterally upgraded ourselves when the steward wasn't looking and got away with it even though we were noticeably the only people here not in shirt and tie and wearing lanyards. This was a good game, but essentially a dead rubber, the last at the group stages with Italy finishing top of the group and Sweden bottom. Goals today from Di Biagio, Henrik Larrson and a late winner from Del Piero.

2004: Euro 2004 - Latvia 0 - 0 Germany - Att: 22,344
This match was played at the Estadio de Bessa, the attractive home of Boavista in Porto, fully refurbished for this tournament. Germany were poor today and the Germans who made up the bulk of the crowd were getting angrier and angrier as the game went on. For some reason everybody else thought the outcome was highly amusing.

2009: UEFA U21 Championship - Belarus U21 0 - 0 Serbia U21 - Att: 2,500
This match was played at the rather sterile new home of Malmo FF. The terracing had been converted to seats for this match, although with such a small attendance it seemed a bit irrelevant. I'd be surprised if there was a single Swedish person present today; the whole city was deserted and closed, with everybody off in the countryside somewhere letting their hair down for the mid-summer celebrations. The game was not a classic.

2011: Double header
CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter Finals
Jamaica 0 - 2 USA
Panama 5 - 3 El Salvador - Att: 45,423

These matches were played at the historic (I think in US terms this means more than 20 years old) RFK Memorial Stadium in Washington, on an exceptionally hot day. Robert S had driven down from New York in the morning and we were leaving all our sightseeing for the following day, so were early at the attractive venue. It is a baseball stadium, and so an unusual shape for football, and showing its age a bit. Unlike at yesterday's quarter finals, the crowd for the first match here was very much smaller than that for the second match. The overwhelming majority of the tickets had gone to El Salvador supporters and they clearly were not much interested in watching USA play Jamaica. The much smaller number of USA supporters turned out to be a pretty obnoxious bunch, so were were firmly supporting Jamaica.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Veikkauslliga.
HJK Helsinki 5 Kotan Työväen Palloilijat 0.
Adm. €8.
Prog. Free.
Att. 2,718.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1995 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Lost 3-4

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Rhewl v Henllan Won 4-6

2000 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Nantglyn v Llanrhaeadr 0-4

2003 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Clawddnewydd v Henllan Lost 3-1

2004 LHF Health Plan National League Three Warrington Woolston Rovers v St. Albans 34-16

I think this was played at Wilderspool after Warrington RL had moved to the new stadium. It was used for a few seasons after the move by Woolston. All that remains now is the space from pitch and some rough ground where the stands used to be. Only surprise it is has never been redeveloped for housing.

2008 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Rhewl Won 5-2

2017 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llangynhafl Won 5-0

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Sunday June 19th 1983
National Drybrough Cup Round 1
Lochee Harp v Pollok, 5-5 AET, 8-9 on pens
At Beechwood Park, Dundee

It’s the third Saturday in June 1983. Only in the Scottish Juniors would a new Cup competition just be kicking off with the first round ties! Four to choose from in the National Drybrough Cup – a tournament for the 6 Regional Drybrough Cup winners, plus the Scottish Cup winners and the holders of the Drybrough Cup from the previous season.

I was keen to pick off some new grounds in those days so I headed for Beechwood Park in Dundee, home of Lochee Harp, to see them play Pollok. Harp were a big club in those days – definitely more successful and with more history than the other Lochee side, United. Those roles have long since been reversed.

Beechwood Park is no longer with us. The Harp moved out a few years ago and have been ground sharing at Downfield. Their new park will be ready to move into when football re-starts – sadly it is a bog standard floodlit astro with spectator access down one side. That will be more than big enough for the few dozen faithful who still follow them. It’s across the road from the old Beechwood Park and just a stone’s throw from Violet’s park.

In 1983 it was different. Beechwood Park hosted a decent crowd for this game, probably around 500. I remember there being a few busloads up from Glasgow to support Pollok. The ground had the ubiquitous grassy banking around three and a half sides with the pavilion located in one corner.

Sadly I didn’t keep any record of how this game progressed or how the scoring went. It was clearly quite a thriller – I think that Pollok were always in front and that Harp were chasing. It may well have ben 3-3 at full time but I cannot be sure. Being a Sunday the match was barely reported – had it been on the Saturday then the evening sports papers would have given the details.

Programme? No chance. Harp are amongst the least prolific issuers of all the Juniors. They dabbled with programmes for a few weeks around 1988 but they never caught on.

I do remember that Harp were managed by Jimmy Kelly. Members of the Kelly family have bene involved with the Harp from the beginning and remain with the club today. Their star man was big striker Hamish Mackay who scored several of their goals. He has the sort of name that would have had Melchester Rovers chasing his signature. Pollok had a few players that I knew well – Mick Leonard up front was formerly with the Pars, defender Danny Scullion was with St Johnstone, Norrie Hall was a Clydebank legend and John Dougall was a former Fa’kirk Bairn. I was always more interested in the players than anything else – frustrating now that I want the match details!

Other results that day were:

East Kilbride Thistle v Oakley Uniuted, 2-1
Larkhall Thistle v Auchinleck Talbot, 1-2
Sauchie v Sunnybank, 1-1 AET, 3-2 pens

Giving a Semi Final draw of:
East Kilbride Thistle v Sauchie (at Wishaw)
Auchinleck v Pollon (at Irvine Meadow)
Ties played June 21st

Drybrough-Keg-Heavy.jpg

Last edited:

Cleeve

Youth Team Star
FIFA World Cup Finals - Group Game
West Germany 1-1 Colombia
At San Siro, Milan
Attendance: 72,510 (Wiki)
Scorer: Littbarski 88; Rincon 90+3

West Germany had already qualified and dominated this game, but could only score once with minutes to go. Colombia needed a draw to be certain of qualification and they achieved this deep into injury time. I remember the Colombians struggling with the new rule that an injured player had to leave the pitch. One particular incident involved a Colombian who refused to get up after being tackled, presumably asking for the physio, and after what seemed an age suddenly jumped to his feet when they wheeled on the stretcher.

World Cup Finals - Group Game
Spain 3-1 Tunisia
At Stuttgart
Attendance: 52,000 (Wiki)
Scorers: Raul 71, Torres 76, 90+1 pen; Mnari 8

Very enjoyable game with Tunisia giving Spain a massive scare. The African team scored early on and played really well until Spain introduced Fabregas and Raul at halftime and the game swung inextricably towards the Europeans.

Didn't see anything of Stuttgart other than the car park next to the ground, which I liked a lot as it created a very good atmosphere.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
The final Euro 1996 group game at Hillsborough

Turkey v Denmark 0-3

A fabulous second half performance from the Danes saw goals from B.Laudrup (53 and 84) and Neilsen (69) give them a comfortable win. The attendance was 28,951

DJM61

Youth Team Starter
FIFA World Cup Finals - Group Game
West Germany 1-1 Colombia
At San Siro, Milan
Attendance: 72,510 (Wiki)
Scorer: Littbarski 88; Rincon 90+3

West Germany had already qualified and dominated this game, but could only score once with minutes to go. Colombia needed a draw to be certain of qualification and they achieved this deep into injury time. I remember the Colombians struggling with the new rule that an injured player had to leave the pitch. One particular incident involved a Colombian who refused to get up after being tackled, presumably asking for the physio, and after what seemed an age suddenly jumped to his feet when they wheeled on the stretcher.

World Cup Finals - Group Game
Spain 3-1 Tunisia
At Stuttgart
Attendance: 52,000 (Wiki)
Scorers: Raul 71, Torres 76, 90+1 pen; Mnari 8

Very enjoyable game with Tunisia giving Spain a massive scare. The African team scored early on and played really well until Spain introduced Fabregas and Raul at halftime and the game swung inextricably towards the Europeans.

Didn't see anything of Stuttgart other than the car park next to the ground, which I liked a lot as it created a very good atmosphere.
Also at the San Siro best stadium I have been to

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Only three for me this date. First up is my Monday night trip in Euro 2000.
This was my tick, (one and only visit to date) at the Stade Roi Baudouin, as the Heysel has been rebranded and extensively rebuilt since the 1985 catastrophe.

This was the third group game of the series, with Italy through to the next round having beaten both Belgium and Turkey, the two teams I was seeing in Brussels. Belgium had three points from beatng Sweden, while the Turks had just one from a draw with the Swedes.

The match was a triumph for Hakan Sukur, but a disaster for Belgium keeper Filip de Wilde. After almost reaching half time without score, Sukur muscled past the defender and de Wilde appeared to forget he needed to jump and claim the ball, allowing Sukur to get there first and bounce a looping header into the net. An incisive move on 70 minutes down the right wing allowed the ball to be crossed to an unmarked Sukur to make it two.

With 7 minutes to play, another break down the right saw the ball to Arif Erdem. de Wilde was quickly out to the wing, where he completely forgot that he was supposed to clatter the ball, rather than the player. His red card marked the end of his international career. I had t find two videos, the first does not show the sending off, (and curiously cites the wrong venue). The other does not show the first goal. They are short, so worth a look.

We had spent our day in a cafe or two in the centre of Brussels. I cannot remember travel details, but I probably parked close to the stadium at the start of the day, which would have allowed me to head to Calais immediately after the game finished. There was a lot of talk in Brussels over crowd trouble, not just with English fans, but also with Turkish fans on the day. Somehow I managed to avoid seeing any of this. €50 to watch, 48,000 at the ground

2004 - Euros time again, but with the matches in Portugal we took a short trip into Southern Spain. I think Spanner was behind the logic of our travel arrangements which worked well. Fly to Spain and stay two nights there. On the first day, spend the day in Cadiz and watch a meaningless second division game, on the second day, head across the border to Faro and watch Russia play Greece. Then come home.

Cadiz is worth a visit, whether they are playing or not, and the dead match in the Segunda was not bad. Around 12,000 watching (crowd certainly picked up from a Spanish sports paper), with three second half goals as Cadiz beat Almeria 2-1

The final game is tweet of the day, simply because I have digital photos available . This was the end of my 2006 World Cup trip and found me heading to Hamburg to see Ukraine play Saudi Arabia. It was the second group game for the teams. Saudi Arabia had drawn theirs, 2-2 with Tunisia in Munich, while Ukraine were beaten 4-0 by Spain.

It allowed me to revisit the stadium in Hamburg, still listed by me as Volksparkstadion, (I only give it one tick), but of course turned through 90 degrees and completely rebuilt since my earlier visit 13 years before.

Around 50,000 in the stadium for this one, and a decent view for my €100 ticket. The game was an easy win for Ukraine, scoring early through Rusol, and then adding a long range effort from Rebrov to be 2-0 up at the break. Shevchenko got in the act in the first minute of the second period and then laid the ball on for Kalynychenko to complete the scoring at 4-0. Spain beat Tunisia in the second round of fixtures, both Spain and Ukraine won in the final set and both moved on

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
No hiding place on a running track

1984 Thurrock Harriers Workshop Meeting 3000 metres 9-09.3 5th

1991 Wymondham Midsummer 10 miles 59-27 28th

1994 Hadleigh Midsummer Relay 4 x 3 miles 1085 yards 20-02 10th team

2010 Pathfinder March - RAF Wyton 46 miles 8-47-55

2019 East Anglian Cross Country League (summer series race two ) - Cart Gap 28-30 18th

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1997 Llandyrnog & District Summer Lge: Ysceifiog 0 Cefn 6 (att 43)
My final game of 1996/7, although I began my 1997/8 season just two days later. These days Ysceifiog play at Brynford but this was when they still used a pitch in the village.

1526.jpg

2000 UEFA European Championship, Gp B: Belgium 0 Turkey 2 (48,000) at King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels
Already covered in depth by Leo. Can't remember how much my ticket was, but this was the 5th of six Euro 2000 games I went to. I would have been at more had England made it out of the group stage.

1945a.jpg

1945c.jpg

2003 Derbyshire Summer League: Wheel Inn 0 White Swan 1 (52)
Played on a pitch at Ashbourne Recreation Ground. I've also seen a summer league game on another pitch, and an Ashbourne FC home game on the main pitch that has a stand.

2345.jpg

2006 Derbyshire Summer League Cup, 2nd rnd: Holly Bush 1 Blue Bell 3 (11)
At Church Broughton Playing Field. The Holly Bush is a pub in the village.

2783.jpg

2010 Arran League: Southend 11 Northend Thistle 1 (30)

My second game on Arran (see the 13 June retro thread for the first) and the second heavy defeat for Northend Thistle. Not been since, but now league games are no longer on Saturdays it's less attractive for a weekend football trip. Southend play on a pitch at Whiting Bay.

3453.jpg

2011 Estonia, Div 1: Tallinna JK Legion 1 Kivioli Tamme Auto 2 (60)
A 5pm Sunday kick off for my third and final game during a weekend in Tallinn. This was a second tier game, played at Wismari Stadium. It was a basic ground with a worn artificial pitch and very limited cover. They did issue a programme though.

3609.jpg

2016 Eccles Sunday Lge, Margaret Piggott Memorial Cup 2nd rnd: Irlam Rangers 3 Winton Wanderers 4 (10)
A Sunday league that has switched to a summer season. Played on a pleasant three-lined pitch at Prince's Park in Irlam.

4419.jpg

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Wednesday 19th June 1996

Croatia 0 Portugal 3 (20,484)

The City Ground is only 30 minutes away, so I purchased tickets for all three group games played there.
It was an opportunity to watch some of Europe's finest players, although not many in Notts shared that view as attendances were quite poor. Maybe ticket prices were set too high?

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
2004 - Rugby League Summer Conference - Yorkshire at West Park Bramhope RUFC.
Leeds Akademiks v South Wakefield 56-12
2005- Rugby League. National Div. 3 at Stanningley ARLFC.
Bramley v Essex 86-0.
2010- Burnley & Dist. Summer League at Queens Park, Burnley.
Ighten Leigh v GM Fitted Furniture ( formerly Whitegates) 4-4.
2016- Leeds Summer League on pitch 2 at Bramley Park.
West Leeds Farnley v Wortley Knights 3-2.

Mark

Junior Team Star
Sunday 19 June 1994
West Palm Beach Expos 4-3 Osceola Astros

Florida State League (high A baseball)
Attendance: 256
Prog: 20 page shell with photocopied game insert
Admission: USD 3 or 4

My first minor league baseball game. A few years earlier I’d bought a copy of Baseball America, a weekly publication that covers all levels of baseball, and was intrigued by the multi-layered structure that existed away from the major leagues, in the same way that you might initially take an interest in non-League football. So a road trip to Florida was a useful way to grab a couple of minor league games and obtaining the fixtures was as simple as making a trans-Atlantic phone call to Baseball America to seek the price & postage of their annual publication, go to the bank to get a cheque made out in dollars and then wait 8 weeks for the book to arrive.

The minor league attendance and ballpark boom had already begun by 94, so watching a storm-interrupted game on a chilly evening with 255 others wasn’t quite what I’d had in mind, although I’ve since realised that Florida exists in a kind of baseball isolation with most teams just an extension of the major league team’s training facilities. Anyway, the game became more interesting as it progressed, with the home team overturning a three-run deficit in the last two innings, although the highlight for me was watching the organ guy at the back of the stand keep the crowd entertained between batters, a long-standing baseball tradition.

It was also at this game that I became familiar with another tradition. Most parked cars (situated behind home plate in this case) had their windscreen facing away from the ballpark - for good reason, as I’ve since seen at a couple of other parks. Meanwhile, the prog featured some little snippets of Americana amongst the ads - Super Dave’s Grand Slam Cards & Comics, Rich’s ice cream & sherberts (sic) and Weenie Cuisinee (home of the world’s only solar powered semi truck hot dog stand).

West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium was built in the 60s and had the outdated-futuristic look of that era. It was primarily the spring training home of the Montreal Expos, with the 5,000 capacity reflecting their needs rather than those of the minor league team. A high roof, with a shell-like appearance and possibly made of concrete, covered no more than a quarter of the seats and was needed when the outer reaches of a storm caused the game to be temporarily halted.

Minor league action at this ballpark only lasted until 97 when the team moved to a spacious new complex at Jupiter, 20 miles to the north. The place was demolished within the next decade but, more recently, a new spring training complex, Ballpark of the Palm Beaches, has been built although I don’t think this is currently hosting any Florida State League team.

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Sunday 19th June 2005
Brazil 0 Mexico 1
Confederations Cup.Group B

I travelled up in the morning from Nurnberg to the rather uninspiring city of Hannover for this match.The Niedersachen Stadion or the AWD Arena as it was called in 2005 was rebuilt for the World Cup and it is a most impressive ground with the added advantage of being walkable from the city centre.Plenty of bier gardens nearby as well to avoid the rubbish that was served in the ground.
A very enjoyable game with Mexico deservedly winning thanks to goal through Jared Borgetti on 59 minutes.Despite Kaka,Ronaldinho etc playing for Brazil they didn't look that impressive but they did go onto win the competition!
Attendance of 43,677 on a very warm evening.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Cricket
Sunday 19th June 1983
Sunday League 40 overs a side
Hampshire v Leicestershire at May's Bounty Basingstoke
Scores Leicestershire 174 for 9 Hants 180 for 1
A rather disappointing game won easily by Hants for whom
Paul Terry was 100 not out

Sunday 19th June 1988
Sunday League
Northants v Middlesex at Wardown Park Luton
Scores Northants 200 for 8 Middlesex 201 for 2
A comfortable win for Middlesex for whom Mike Gatting
made 105 not out and Wilf Slack 65.

Thursday 19th June 2003
T20 Group match at Richmond
Middlesex v Kent
Scores Kent 161 for 8 Middlesex 165 for 3
Admission £10 Programme £3
A trip here straight from work. Matt Walker with 35 was Kent's top
scorer Paul Weekes and Andrew Strauss put on 77 in the first
8 overs, Strauss went on to make 60 and Owais Shah made 40 as
Middlesex won fairly comfortably

Sunday 19th June 2005
National League Division One 45 overs a side
Middlesex v Notts at Walker Ground Southgate
Scores Middlesex 314 for 5 Notts 283 all out
Admission £10 Programme £2 Scorecard 60p
A second visit to the Walker Ground. with the church in the background
and trees and bushes around the ground I think this is a lovely
ground to watch cricket on, Paul Weekes made 106 and Scott Styris
82 as Middlesex ran up a big score. Notts were never really up
with the asking rate despite 82 from Samit Patel and 45 from
Chris Read.

Wednesday 19th June 2013
Yorkshire Bank 40 over league
Kent v Sussex at St Lawrence Ground Canterbury
Scores Sussex 336 for 5 Kent 337 for 7 off 38.3 overs
Admission 2013 member Scorecard £1
A tremendous game of cricket I rate this as one of the best matches
I have ever seen. Chris Nash 83 and Luke Wright put on 194 before
the first wicket fell. Luke Wright's 115 coming from 61 balls faced.
At one time Sussex looked like like getting 350 to 375 runs but they
were pegged back slightly in the final overs.
A Kent win looked highly unlikely as the total of 336 had never before
been passed in a 40 over match. However a brilliant 115 from Sam
Northeast and an explosive 118 from Darren Stevens plus 52 from
Rob Key took Kent to an unlikely victory.
Darren Stevens century came in just 44 balls and equalled a Kent
record made by Mark Ealham at Maidstone in 1995
A truly remarkable and memorable match.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
1987 (Friday) – Manglerud Star 1 Ullensaker/Kisa IL 1 (Norway, Division 4) No programme but double-sided A5 flyer with fixture list and other information was given away with admission. This match was played at Manglerud Star’s own basic ground in Oslo, although I have since seen them at the Bislett when they were briefly playing in the second tier. Ullensaker/Kisa, who are based in Jessheim, have also since been promoted to the second tier. The match was decided on penalties because of a new rule requiring it for all drawn games at that level.

1988 (Sunday morning) – Hvidovre IF 1 Kastrup 2 (Denmark, attendance 591) A5 programme issued. Athletics stadium, only five minutes walk from Friheden station – Hvidovre station is actually some two miles to the north, on a different line!

1988 (Sunday afternoon) – B93 0 EfB Esbjerg 0 (Denmark, attendance 293) A5 programme issued. Played at athletics stadium next door to the national stadium.

1988 (Sunday evening) – Holbaek 3 Skjold Birkerod 1 (Denmark, attendance 578) A5 programme issued. Treble completed with this average lower division ground near Copenhagen.

1989 (Monday) – Turun Toverit 0 Elo 2 (Finland, second tier. Attendance 237) Four-page A5 programme issued. This was my first ever match in Finland, it was played at a proper football ground with a large stand (but nothing around other three sides) in Turku. Two other English hoppers were also at the match, although they had not been on my overnight ferry from Stockholm.

1993 (Saturday) SI Sorvagur 1 SIF Sandavagur 0 (Faroe Islands, second tier) No programme issued. This was a local derby between two clubs who are both based on the island of Vagar. They have since merged to form 07 Vestur. A good photo of the Sorvagur ground can be seen on the home club’s Wiki page, and it is only a relatively short walk from the international airport, although I had travelled by ferry from Aberdeen.

1994 (Sunday) Christchurch United 3 Dunedin Technical 2 (New Zealand, top tier, southern group) A5 programme issued. Played at the QE 2 Stadium, a huge concrete bowl used mainly for athletics. It was situated on the north-east outskirts of the city, and has since been demolished. The crowd of only 50 or so certainly looked very lost in such a large arena, although only the main stand was open. This was the final match of my Australia/New Zealand tour and I would certainly like to return to these two countries one day, particularly as I didn’t get to visit Tasmania.

1998 (Friday) Chicago Stingers 2 Texas Toros 1 (USA, third tier) Four-page A4 programme issued. This was certainly an eventful day! There was a Major League baseball game, Chicago Cubs v Philadelphia Phillies, being played at Wrigley Field in the early afternoon (there is a limit imposed by the city council on night games at Wrigley Field) while this football match was an evening kick-off, I think these two events were at 2pm and 7pm respectively. On average, a baseball game lasts for around three hours, which in theory meant that I would have two hours to get from Wrigley Field to the football match, which was being played in the Chicago suburb of Arlington Heights. Having done my research, I planned to take a combination of metro and train from the city centre to Arlington Heights station, from where it would probably be about 45 minutes walk to the stadium, which is part of the Robert Morris University complex.

Unfortunately, thanks to ‘Sod’s Law’, the baseball game was tied at the end of the regulation nine innings (a less frequent occurrence than a 0-0 draw in football) and therefore extra innings had to be played. When it finally did end, there was not enough time for me to get to the football match by train, so I had to get there by taxi instead. This was expensive but as I was nearing the end of the tour anyway, I did not have to worry too much about the cost. With the time going by fast, it did not look as if I would be able to get there in time, at least if I had used the main entrance in South Goebbert Road, but thankfully there was direct access from East Falcon Drive which was closer to where I had got out of the taxi, as can be clearly seen on Google Street View. The ground is surrounded by wire mesh fencing and this enabled me to see the teams lining up for the national anthem as I approached. The match kicked off as I was paying my entrance money, so I missed virtually nothing. After the match, I caught a local bus and alighted at the first metro station for the journey back to the city centre.

Judging by the current aerial photos, the ground appears to have had a synthetic pitch with permanent American Football markings installed since then, replacing the grass pitch that had been there in 1998. The best view of the ground as it looked on my visit can be found by going back to October 2007 on Google Earth’s timeline facility. If I could go back in time, would I do the same thing again? I suppose I could have left Wrigley Field until another day and saved the taxi fare, but it was a great game I saw with an 8-9 scoreline and the superstar of the time, Sammy Sosa, hitting two home runs.

1999 (Saturday) – Stromgodset 1 Lillestrom SK 1 (Norway top flight, attendance 1,665) Glossy B5 programme issued. The home team, as most of you probably know, are based in Drammen, and this is one of the better grounds in Norway for a town of its size.

2003 (Thursday) – Ystads FF 2 Karlskrona AIF 4 (Sweden, Division 2 Sodra Gotaland, attendance 318) A5 programme issued. Nice old ground with a small amount of standing cover, but it has since been completely rebuilt with two new pitches at 90 degrees to the previous orientation. The town of Ystad is notable for being where ferries depart to Poland and Bornholm, with the ferry terminal being quite close to the ground.

2004 (Saturday) - IF Sylvia 2 Falu BS FK 1 (Sweden third tier, attendance 184) A4 programme issued. Not sure why Sylvia are so called, but they are based in Norrkoping, at the Bollspelaren which is on the north side of the town.

2010 (Saturday) – FC Trelleborg 2 Nosaby IF 1 (Sweden Diviison 3 Sodra Gotaland, attendance 75) See my WDYG report from old forum at; http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=253554;search_string=nosaby;guest=336577146#253554
Apologies for the numerous spelling errors it contains. An update is that I believe a regular passenger train service has now started from Trelleborg to Malmo, perhaps with some new intermediate stations as well. I wonder if euro coins can still be used for the luggage lockers in Trelleborg?

2011 (Sunday) – IFK Mariehamn 1 FC Honka Espoo 0 (Finland top flight, attendance 1,907) A5 programme (in Swedish) issued. Having travelled on the early morning ferry from Turku, I had to spend a mostly wet afternoon trying to pass the time in the only large town of the Aland Islands. The stadium is an athletics venue with a huge main stand and not much else. The pitch is synthetic, so at least I did not have to worry about the match being off. A late goal was greeted with ecstatic delight by the home crowd.

2014 (Thursday) – Selanger FK 1 Hudiksvalls FF 2 (Sweden 3rd tier) No programme. I’ve since forgotten exactly where this club was, and apparently it is a village just outside Sundsvall. Without checking my photos or looking at the aerial maps, I can remember that there was no cover for spectators, only uncovered seating but fortunately the weather stayed dry.

2015 (Friday) – FK Jelgava 1 FK Spartaks Jurmala 1 (Latvia, top division, attendance 510) Four-page A5 programme issued. My first ever match in Latvia, and this match was played at an athletics stadium with a large modern main stand. I had travelled on a bus from Kaunas to Riga and then by train to Jelgava.

2016 (Sunday) - Eskiltuna Sodra FF 2 Nora BK 7 (Sweden, third tier) See my WDYG report on old forum at; http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/f...659;search_string=nora;guest=336577146#743659

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
1999 (Saturday)

SC Beira-Mar 1 SC Campomaiorense 0
Taca de Portugal Final
@ Estadio Nacional
Adm: 4000$; Att: 25,000

There was certain to be a new name on the Cup this year - Campomaiorense were appearing in thir first final and Beira-Mar had lost to Porto after a replay in their only previous appearance in 1991.

The national stadium is situated on the extreme edge of Lisbon. Access from the tram terminus was via a quite extensive wooded area in which a number of shanty settlements were seen. Near to the ground various stalls were set up amongst the trees selling the usual roasted chestnuts, bifanas etc as well as beer and other drinks. The atmosphere was carnival-like with fans of two clubs not used to success intermingling and clealy looking to enjoy their day.

When the match started, the friendliness did not extend to the pitch. At the end of a feisty match the card count had reached 15 yellows, 3 of them second yellows thus resulting in reds (2 for BM & 1 for SCC).
The winning goal was scored by Ricardo Sousa who was on loan from Porto. He went on to have a lengthy career for many clubs in various countries but never stayed very long anywhere. He had four different spells at Beira-Mar and, after similarly short managerial stays at four Portuguese clubs, became their manager in 2019.

Campomaiorense spent 5 seasons in the top division but after relegation dropped out of adult football altogether for a while, before starting up again at amateur level.

On an extremely hot day, I had splashed out for a ticket in the only shaded part of the ground. As far as I could tell, programmes were only available in the VIP area at the rear of that section, from where I got one after the match.
IMG_0071.JPEG

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1995 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Lost 3-4

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Rhewl v Henllan Won 4-6

2000 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Nantglyn v Llanrhaeadr 0-4

2003 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Clawddnewydd v Henllan Lost 3-1

2004 LHF Health Plan National League Three Warrington Woolston Rovers v St. Albans 34-16

I think this was played at Wilderspool after Warrington RL had moved to the new stadium. It was used for a few seasons after the move by Woolston. All that remains now is the space from pitch and some rough ground where the stands used to be. Only surprise it is has never been redeveloped for housing.

2008 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Rhewl Won 5-2

2017 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llangynhafl Won 5-0
Warrington RLFC Wilderspool ground post demolition and as it still is as far as I know

1624002346790.png

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock