June 18th

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
2006 (Sunday) - Atvidabergs FF 0 Trelleborgs FF 2 (Sweden ‘Superettan’) Attendance 1,191 (A5 programme issued) This wonderful old ground with wooden stands is in a town that is not on the rail network
When I went in 2012 I arrived by train.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
When I went in 2012 I arrived by train.

At the time of writing, google says that if I get a train in about 15 minutes, I will arrive by train around 3 hours later - starting from Stckholm central

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
In 2004 I was 7 miles or so along the coast from SteveB for, as billed on the programme cover,
"The last competitive game of Junior Foootball played at Westfield Park"
CP.jpeg

Carnoustie Panmure 1 Dundee Violet 2
SJFA Tayside League Premier Division
Adm: £3

The programme also highlighted The Gowfers' first (and, to date, only) Junior Cup Final win the month before when they had beaten holders Tayport on penalties. This was a golden period for Tayside teams as Tayport won again the following season against Lochee Utd.

Since the final of the Scottish, Carnoustie had played 9 times in 20 days, clinching the divisional title on Monday of this week. The exertions had probably caught up with them and Violet ensured Carnoustie did not sign off at Westfield with a win.

The most distinctive feature at Westfield Park were two ex-RNAS Nissan Huts behind the goal which served as dressing rooms. If anyone is interested, they can be seen very clearly in the first 25 seconds of this footage from a few years earlier,

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Sunday @ 18-00.
World Cup Finals Qualifying Group F OR if you prefer 6.
Australia 0 v 2 Brazil.

@ World Cup Stadium Munich. (FIFA wouldn't allow sponsors names).

ALL 3 OFFICIAL FIFA 2006 WORLD CUP PROGRAMMES (ENGLAND)

I got the English version of the one on the left , as the photo shows there were 2 more versions , Second Round and the Final.
Were there more , Q-F's , S-F's ?
Also plenty of other paper given away with teams/game mentioned.
I've got English and German versions of both the main prog and the 'second round' edition, but didn't see anything different for England's QF.

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Six games for me, or five and a half really - and I know some people would say that's only really five.

1996: Euro 96 - Netherlands 1 - 4 England - Att: 76,798
At Wembley Stadium and already covered by The Willows and Steveb. Possibly the best England performance I have ever witnessed and almost certainly the most enjoyable.

1998: World Cup Finals - South Africa 1 - 1 Denmark - Att: 33,500
Played at the Stade de Toulouse. My mate Chris B was driving from our digs near Montpelier and we stopped off to climb to the top of a high peak in the area (as you do) before getting stuck in traffic and then struggling to find anywhere to park. One thing led to another and we didn't take up our seats until nearly half time. I probably shouldn't be mentioning this at all in these circles. Should have kept mum.

2000: Euro 2000 - Slovenia 1 - 2 Spain - Att: 53,100
Played at the Amsterdam ArenA and already covered by Ricardo and Cleeve. For me too it was my third Ajax ground, although I have still not seen Ajax themselves play at this one. And I was certainly having nothing to do with the stadium charge card and never have done anywhere yet when this has been the payment system.

2004: Euro 2004 - Italy 1 - 1 Sweden - Att: 44,927
Played at the Estadio de Dragao in Porto, one of the finest stadiums I have been to anywhere. A lovely place.

2011: Double-header.
CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter Finals -
Costa Rica 2 - 4 Honduras
Mexico 2 -1 Guatamala - Att: 78,807

Played at the MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and the New York Jets. This monster stadium has very good rail links from Penn Station in Manhattan, yet so few other people travelled this way that we were beginning to wonder if we had come on the wrong day or something. Unusually in my experience, the actual attendance for both games in this double was similar, most people arriving in time to watch both games. In did increase a little for the second match, with Mexico supporters forming the bulk of the crowd. Good football and an enjoyable atmosphere.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
2017 Men’s hockey World League
India 7 Pakistan 1
Great Britain 3 Argentina 3
Lee Valley Hockey Centre, London

On the same day as India and Pakistan were across London playing cricket at the Oval in the final of the Champions Trophy I was watching their hockey counterparts meet each other but whereas the hockey was a resounding success for the Indians the cricket was a disaster and Pakistan won that. Great Britain were taking on Olympic gold medalists Argentina and went 3-0 up but managed to squander the lead and the game ended 3-3.

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Also in Frankfurt like KK & Ricardo , but 14 years earlier.
RETRO Part 2.
R2ab41ef94c66ee4e16f7575ec9000209.jpg

Tuesday @ 19-30.
FIFA World Cup Finals Group 2.
Scotland 0 v 0 Brazil.

@ Waldstadium , Frankfurt.
60,000. ( Many different attendances on line ).
waldstadion6.jpg

Scotland - David Harvey , Sandy Jardine , Danny McGrain , Billy Bremner , Jim Holton , Martin Buchan , Peter Lorimer , David Hay , Joe Jordan , Kenny Dalglish , Willie Morgan.
Manager - Willie Ormond.

1974-Official-World-Cup-74-Tournament-Programme.jpg-695092955_0_x.jpg

Brazil - Emerson Leao , Luis Pereira , Marinho Peres , Wilson da Silva Piazza , Marinho Chagas , 'Nelinho' Manuel Cabral , Roberto Rivelio , Paulo Cesar , 'Mirandinha' Miranda da Silva Filho . 'Jairzinho' Jair Fiha , 'Leivinha' Joao Leiva Filho.
Sub - .Paulo Carpegiani for 'Leivinha'.
Manager - Mario Zagallo.

Referee - Arie Van Gimert ( Netherlands ).

I travelled to and from my base in Cologne on the day , it was an extremely noisy day. Both sets of fans in good voice.

Scotland were by far the better side but could not score . Bremner , Hay , Jordan , Lorimer all having chances especially in the second half..

It was this lack of goals which cost them dearly , not in this game but in the opening game v Zaire in Dortmund which they only won by 2-0.
They left themselves with having to win against Yugoslavia in the last game in Frankfurt to qualify, if it's a draw then hope Brazil don't win by 3 goals.
Guess what , Scotland 1 v 1 Yugoslavia & Brazil 3 v 0 Zaire.
So going home unbeaten.

1​
Yugoslavia, Yugoslavia
Yugoslavia
3​
1​
2​
0​
10:1​
9​
4:2​
2​
Brazil, Brazil
Brazil
3​
1​
2​
0​
3:0​
3​
3​
Scotland, Scotland
Scotland
3​
1​
2​
0​
3:1​
2​
4​
Congo DR, Congo DR
Congo DR
3​
0​
0​
3​
0:14​
-14​
0:​

1974, World Cup Grounds -

.19 x games , 1 x 0-0, 1 x double , beware_idiots.jpg 17 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1980 Spain 1 v 2 England.
1996 Scotland 1 v 0 Switzerland.
2006 Australia 0 v 2 Brazil.

------------1972 BEA548 -London - Brussels crashes just after take off---118 RIP--------
OIP.jpg-GL1328899.jpg

Last edited:

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
From the old forum, 2015 (Thursday):

West Juniors Central District KO Cup Final
Thorniewood United v Blantyre Vics, 2-2, 4-3 pens, Att c.700, Admission £6, No Programmes
At Newlandsfield Park (Pollok FC)

The Scottish Junior season finally ended with this Cup Final between two of the lesser lights in the West Region. For Blantyre it was their third Cup Final of the season, all of which they have lost. For Thorniewood it was apparently their first Final of any sort for 50 years, so the victory was well worth celebrating. Neither team is particularly well supported but both had brought along noisy and passionate crowds, many of whom had clearly been preparing for the Cup Final since at least lunchtime.

A week ago, for the first time ever, I saw a player red carded in a penalty shoot out. This game produced a repeat incident – so that’s twice I’ve seen it now!

Blantyre will be wondering how they ever got taken to a penalty shoot out. They should have had the game sewn up, playing against just nine men for much of the second half.

Thorniewood were reduced to ten men early in the game when their goalkeeper was dismissed for a foul just outside the box. The Blantyre player had a free run on goal so there was no real doubt about the decision.

It was Blantyre who took the lead midway through the first half with a tremendous 25 yard shot. However, they were pegged back before half time thanks to a dubious penalty award which was well converted. The Vics quickly restored their lead with a brilliantly constructed goal on the break with a move that ripped a hole in the Thorniewood defence.

Thorniewood equalised early in the second half with a second penalty. Shortly afterwards they were reduced to nine men – a late challenge poleaxed a Vics player and led to a magnificent 20-man brawl with both linesmen rushing to the referees assistance.

The perpetrator of the foul was sent off, and a couple more yellow cards were dished out. Thankfully the referee didn’t get too card happy, choosing yellow instead of the reds which would have been technically justified. The Thorniewood player who was dismissed took a while to go, berating the referee and everyone else as he ambled off. Shortly afterwards the Thorniewood Manager was sent to the terracing for calling the referee a fud. He was probably correct, the manager that is.

Blantyre didn’t seem to know how to play against the nine men and the game fizzled out to a draw.

Given what had happened it was inevitable the Thorniewood would win on penalties. One of their players was red carded during the shoot-out for gesticulating at the baying Vics fans.

Magnificent value for £6, this game summed up Junior football perfectly. Attacking football, feisty tempers, brutal challenges, crafty players, great sportsmanship, bampot managers, deranged supporters, lots of red cards, decent pies . . . ye cannae whack it.

Must have forgotten to take my camera that night or more likely too busy blethering to folk to take any pictures.

willesden

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1996: England 4 Holland 1 Euro 96 (att: 76,798)

Probably the best performance from England I’ve witnessed in the flesh. Plenty of booze greeted the win back at our Wembley hotel. No doubt the ITV coverage will latch on the anniversary in their build up to tonight’s game, which isn’t a bad time to remind ourselves that going overboard with predictions after one good game is a foolhardy approach.

2018: Dome 1 BCG 3 Thai League 4 Bangkok Region (att: 109)

4.jpg

Sometimes my adventures while pursuing my hobby don’t work out how I expect when leaving in the morning, and this day out definitely fell into this category. A lesson never to presume, especially in Thailand.

I set out from base in Minburi fully loaded with requirements for the following five days as the plan was to head straight to Don Muang Airport after the Rangsit University against Port B match.

The website said it was a 4pm kick off when I last checked. I took local transport down to Bangkapi to meet my pal Steve for coffee in the Mall, where he asked if I’d checked that the match was definitely on?

I laughed at him. “of course, it is” I replied. We said our goodbyes until the following Saturday when we’d be enjoying the final few hours of my trip, as I headed to take the Saen Saep Ferry downtown. I alighted from the packed service at Asok before heading to Phetchaburi underground station.

thumbnail_IMG_9607.jpg

The plan was to make my way as near as I could to Rangsit University by public transport aside from taxis unless absolutely necessary. I ended up walking and getting lost several times around the Central Plaza Ladprao. Eventually I managed to find a bus stop and a service going north. The plan was to take it past the airport and then commandeer a taxi the rest of the way as the bus service didn’t appear to service the university.

My cab driver thought I knew exactly where to go; which I thought I did. The following twenty minutes we went up and down the main road as we missed turnings and I called it wrong. After what seemed like ages and my driver still somehow finding the strength to smile, we eventually turned into the grounds of Rangsit University. I got out close to the small stadium and paid up. I think the driver was glad to be shot of me, even if he had taken a good fare.

Immediately I became aware that my test of endurance was far from over. There was a distinct lack of footballers on the pitch, that I could see through the trees. Perhaps they were in the tunnel ready to come out for the match as it was nearing kick off time?

IMG_1248.JPG

The stand was virtually empty with just three or four students in there with a drum. I knew that fourth division games were sparsely attended, but surely the under 23 Port side would attract a few more than this? I went out to the front to see the scoreboard on the far side displaying a 3-1 score. The match had been played the previous afternoon! I knew that Dome were at home at Thammasat Stadium, several miles further north.

Within a few minutes I was in the taxi. With a bit of luck, I’d only miss the first half hour. My man did a cracking job, even if it was a longer journey than I’d envisaged. We went on what I thought was a long way, but I was in no position to ask questions after my earlier calamitous efforts.

Team buses were outside, so at least I knew the game was on. I thought it a bit unusual as I dashed through an open gate and up the steps and into the stand. Usually someone took an admission fee. Maybe I was to get a freebie because I was late?

On the contrary, again there were no players on the pitch, but lots of training cones and footballs. The scoreboard had the teams displayed on it. I managed to crank my local phone up to discover it was a 6pm kick off. I was eighty minutes early!

Dome were up against BGC, the under 23 outfit of neighbours Bangkok Glass, whose first team I’d seen at home the previous evening. Some omitted players sat and smiled at me wondering what a foreigner in a snug fitting Port FC shirt was doing at a division 4 game out of the city. I’d have loved to have been able to explain in Thai, but there again it was nice to leave them in suspense.

The 6pm kick off meant that I’d only have chance to see the first half before heading to the airport for my flight to Udon Thani. We certainly rattled around in a 20,000 capacity stadium, which also staged the home games of top flight side Bangkok United.

The Glass youngsters had vocal backing from one fan down at the front who was soon joined by a mate who bellowed out all the supporters’ songs and chants. Fair play to them. BCG were by far the better team, but the Dome students gave it their best.

IMG_1257.JPG

A huge storm was heading from the south as the half neared its conclusion with the score 1-0 to the visitors. I definitely didn’t need a soaking. As the whistle sounded, I headed out to the front and managed to hail a taxi after a few minutes as the rain began to fall.

To add to the drama the driver was ready to head to Suvarnabhumi until I put him right. I grabbed some food at the airport and then fell asleep right through my flight. It wasn’t until we got out at Udon Thani that I realised just how much I’d sweated. I certainly received a few glances!

It had been a fantastic day despite all the things that I’d got wrong. It concluded once I’d checked into my room, then had a few beers in the brilliant nightlife area before finding a vibrant late night establishment to watch England defeat Tunisia with a last minute goal in the World Cup.

I certainly didn’t need any rocking to sleep!

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
When I was there at the end of the previous season, I was given the impression that Dome played their matches on the "mini-Stadium", which I had seen referred to as Dome stadium. I saw Rajdamnern play Tokio Blue Army there, on the same day as my visit to the Leo Stadium, also for a match at the lower levels. I can going to have to check now whether my games were fourth or fifth level as I am sure they were one level below Dome. Or was Dome relegated at the end of 2017

IMG_20170924_140629 m.jpg

willesden

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
When I was there at the end of the previous season, I was given the impression that Dome played their matches on the "mini-Stadium", which I had seen referred to as Dome stadium. I saw Rajdamnern play Tokio Blue Army there, on the same day as my visit to the Leo Stadium, also for a match at the lower levels. I can going to have to check now whether my games were fourth or fifth level as I am sure they were one level below Dome. Or was Dome relegated at the end of 2017

View attachment 13846

They definitely finished bottom in 2018, from where they look as if they dropped down to the fifth tier Amateur League, but who knows exactly what is going on out there at present. Several clubs have dropped out and it looks as though the old T4 fourth tier has gone.

Hoping it all unravels, as well as the possibility to get out there in October.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 5-2

2000 Tetleys Bitter Super League V Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Lost 16-32

2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llandyrnog Won 5-4

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llangynhafl v Henllan Drew 2-2

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Nantglyn (Won) 6-4

2012 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanrhaeadr v Nantglyn 6-0

2015 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llandyrnog v Cefn 4-2

2016 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three
Rylands Sharks v Eastmoor Dragons 36-24

An enclosed and railed ground on the same site as the football club, but at more or less opposite sides of the venue. You can’t see one from the other. No programme for this game but I did get one from them. They pulled out of this level not that long after this game

2018 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llagynhafl Won 6-2
Rylands Sharks pitch is now for football
1624002235136.png

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
I was also at the Bruchwegstadion on this date but 6 years earlier than Chris.
M.JPG

Going into this last game of the season Mainz were already confirmed as heading back to the Regionalliga from which they had only been promoted at the end of the previous season. Visitors Osnabrück needed a point to be absolutely certain of avoiding joining Mainz in the relegation positions.
In more recent times such a scenario would doubtless see hoards heading south but, as mentioned before, back in the 80s attendances in Germany were very different and the crowd was only 2,000.

Mainz took the lead on 49' through Karl-Heinz Mähn. Christian Neidhart drew the visitors level 10 mins later and that is how it remained. In the event, Osnabrück would have still stayed up even if they had lost.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock