In 1815, British and Prussian forces defeat Napolean at the Battle of Waterloo

Even if you did not travel from Waterloo station, tell us where you ended up

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Sunday @ 18-00.
World Cup Finals Qualifying Group F OR if you prefer 6.
Australia 0 v 2 Brazil.

@ World Cup Stadium Munich. (FIFA wouldn't allow sponsors names).

ALL 3 OFFICIAL FIFA 2006 WORLD CUP PROGRAMMES (ENGLAND)

I got the English version of the one on the left , as the photo shows there were 2 more versions , Second Round and the Final.
Were there more , Q-F's , S-F's ?
Also plenty of other paper given away with teams/game mentioned.

Australia - Mark Sschwarzer , Lucas Neill, Craig Moore , Tim Cahill , Jason Culina , Tony Popovic , Brett Emerton , Mark Viduka , Vince Grella , Scott Chipperfield , Mile Sterjovski.
Subs - Marco Nresciano for Popovic , Harry Kewell for Cahill , John Aloisi for Moore.
Not used - Michael Beauchamp, Ante Covic , Zelijko Kalac , Joshua Kennedy , Stan Lazaridis , Mark Milligan , Josip Skoko , Archie Thompson , Luke Wilkshire.
Manager - Guus Hiddink.

Australia 0 v 2 Brazil. - Bing video

www.bing.com
www.bing.com
Brazil - Dida , Cafu , Lucio , Juan , Emerson , Roberto Carlos , Adriano (1) , Kaka , Ronaldo , Ronaldinho , Ze Roberto.
Subs - Gilberto Silva for Emerson , Robinho for Ronaldo , Fred (1) for Adriano.
Not used - Cicinho , Cris , Julio Cesar , Juninho , Luisao , Mineiro , Ricardinho , Rogerio , Silva.
Manager - Carlos Alberto Parreira.

Referee - Markus Merk , (Germany).

Fearing the worst I was impressed with the 'Socceroos, they managed to keep the first half scoreless , the chances were to Brazil but it was fairly even. 'Aus' defenders Culina & Sterjovski were covering the flanks and Moore was picking up the scraps in a good defensive display.

After the break Brazil scored early , VAR may have ruled it out nowadays for an offside on Ronaldo who then squared for Adriano to fire home. (Edit. Just looked on the video and it looks OK , my notes at the game were scrawled but 'iffy' is written ! )
Kewell missed an absolute sitter when presented with an open goal but blazed over and then tried a 40 yarder which went just over the bar with the keeper off his line.

It turned into an end to end affair with both sides having chances , Australia were going for it and leaving themselves exposed at the back.
The keeper made a fine save from Breschiano's volley , Viduka narrowly missed with a lob.

But they were caught on the break in the last minute when Fred only just on as a sub finished the game off tapping in a rebound off the post from a Robinho shot.

Enjoyed it , Australia deserved more but it was now in their own hands with the last game v Croatia looming 4 days later in Stuttgart .
That finished 2-2 with it all kicking off in the last 5 minutes.

Just a 2 day trip , in and out of Salzburg with a hire car. 3 of us went , 2 with tickets , it wasn't too difficult or expensive to get another.

Final standings Group 6/F. (2 x qualify).
Brazil 3 3 0 0 7 1 9
Australia 3 1 1 1 5 5 4
Croatia 3 0 2 1 2 3 2
Japan 3 0 1 2 2 7 1

19 x games (14 + 5 Summer) , 1 x 0-0,, 1 x double , Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock (18 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

1974 Brazil 0 v 0 Scotland.
1980 Spain 1 v 2 England.
1996 Scotland 1 v 0 Switzerland.

----------Staines air crash. 1972--------No wonders he doesn't look happy , it was his Waterloo.
Trident plane crash 1972: Remembering 118 people killed just ...
See the source image

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Euro 88.
Waldstadion - Frankfurt.
England 1 Soviet Union 3.
Adm. DM. 20.
Att. 48,335.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Wednesday June 18th 1986
Craig Stephen Cup Final (Tayside Juniors)
Dundee North End v Lochee United, 3-2 AET, Att c.500
At Downfield Park, Dundee

June was always a good month for Tayside Juniors games as the multitude of Cup competitions came to a conclusion. It’s just as well that the Region was a fairly level playing field with different clubs successful in different competitions – otherwise the season might never have finished.

I’m not sure if I ever knew what the Craig Stephen Cup was. Was Craig Stephen a bloke? Was it a business? Anyway, the Cup contested in that name drew to a conclusion at Downfield Park on a Wednesday evening in June 1986 providing a welcome diversion from watching the World Cup in Mexico.

Downfield Park was the same then as it is now. Built in the 1950s, it has the most ridiculously steep bankings fit only for mountain goats or folk with one leg a foot shorter than the other. On the far side is a covered enclosure that would be fit for a higher level of football. Most of the nearside is taken up with the Social Club. It was a good source of revenue for The Spiders in those days, popular with locals from the adjoining Downfield Housing Scheme. Next door to the ground was a police station with more razor wire on the roof than the one in the original Fort Apache The Bronx.

Dundee clubs have great nicknames so on this occasion The Spiders hosted the Dokens and The Bluebells. Lochee had taken a first half lead when North End keeper Ian Boardley (ex Forfar Athletic) had fumbled a shot and Brian Traynor scored with ease. Ernie Scrimgeour levelled things up in the second half to take the game to extra time. Stevie McIntosh and Paul Craig scored in the first period to put North End 3-1 up before a Bob Stewart penalty ensured a rousing finish as Lochee sought an equaliser.

Fine entertainment as I recall, with a good crowd. No programme, good pehs and probably a pint of Tennents in the Clubbie.

I’m not sure if there was any World Cup football that night. I remember Mexico 1986 well with matches kicking off after midnight. That sometimes meant an evening in the pub followed by a carry out and falling asleep in the chair sometime during the second half followed by a real struggle to get moving in the morning. Happy days.

DOWNFIELD.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 5-2

2000 Tetleys Bitter Super League V Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Lost 16-32

2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llandyrnog Won 5-4

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llangynhafl v Henllan Drew 2-2

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Nantglyn (Won) 6-4

2012 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanrhaeadr v Nantglyn 6-0

2015 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llandyrnog v Cefn 4-2

2016 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three
Rylands Sharks v Eastmoor Dragons 36-24

An enclosed and railed ground on the same site as the football club, but at more or less opposite sides of the venue. You can’t see one from the other. No programme for this game but I did get one from them. They pulled out of this level not that long after this game

2018 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llagynhafl Won 6-2

mxhornet

Reserve Team Star
Quite a successful day for me on the running front

1978 Essex Beagles Open Meeting - Mayesbrook Arena 800 metres 2-12.7 1st

1985 Wisbech v March v West Norfolk 3000 metres 9-18.7 1st

1986 Lowestoft Midweek 10k (race two) 32-16 1st

1989 Pulham Pennoyers 15k 59-45 8th

2011 Norwich parkrun (42) 23-22 73rd

2016 Brundall parkrun (52) 24-57 40th

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1988 Russia 3 England 1 Euro 88 crowd 48,335
Waldstadion, Frankfurt

Leaving Munich and its celebrating home fans I took the train to Frankfurt to see England’s last game in the tournament against Russia. The ground as the name suggests is set in the middle of a wood and was quite different from the one you see today with vast open terraces at either end in the German style. There seemed to be more locals there as it was a weekend and they started off Mexican waves fairly early which the England fans refused to join in with and were met with chants of Auf Wiedersehen(goodbye and good riddance basically)from the home fans.
Alenichev put the Russians ahead after just 3 minutes and Tony Adams headed an equaliser after a quarter of an hour but it was 2-1 on 28 minutes and 3-1 to the Soviets with 13 minutes left in a lethargic second half. Lineker was subbed and later revealed to be suffering from hepatitis and Woods played in goal in place of Shilton who at the age of 38 should probably have been told he was too old 2 years before after the Mexico World Cup. It had been a bad tournament for England(although just qualifying was hard with only 8 teams in it)but I really enjoyed my week in Germany seeing 6 games in a week all on new grounds for me.

1992 New Zealand 1 Dutch Amateur XI 2 crowd 1,000(estimate)
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland( see pics below)

Travelling round the world in the summer of 1992 I was in New Zealand when Euro 92 was on and realised it was possible to watch the games when I walked into a bar showing a match on a big screen. The England games started at 6am local time so I found a place to stay which had cable TV and which was near the stadium so when we lost to Sweden and crashed out everyone at home could go to bed but I was getting up to go to breakfast.
New Zealand were playing two friendlies against a Dutch Amateur XI as a warm up for World Cup 1994 qualifiers which were starting soon, there seemed to be a lot of Dutch people living there and they made up about half the small crowd on a wet weekday afternoon. I don’t recall a great deal about the game but the Dutch won 2-1 with Grant Coveny scoring the home goal, there was a second game in Wellington a couple of days later between the same sides which NZ won 1-0. As per usual in those days(apart from the 82 WC)New Zealand lost out to Australia in the World Cup qualifiers, and Australia lost out in a play off with Argentina.

2000 Spain 2 Slovenia 1 Euro 2000 crowd 51,300
Amsterdam Arena, Holland

I had seen Ajax play at their old de Meer ground as well as the Olympic stadium so a visit here completed the trio albeit for a neutral game. I had travelled up from Arnhem on the train and squeezed onto the metro with hordes of Slovenian fans who were quite excited about their first ever tournament, they didn’t think someone English like me would have ever heard of their country let alone that I knew the capital was Ljublana. The ground was a massive improvement for Ajax with very impressive views from all around the stadium although I wasn’t too enamoured with having to get a type of credit card to pay for purchases, the first step to a cashless society, either that or they didn’t trust their employees with cash.
Raúl gave Spain an early lead in the 4th minute which they held till half time. In the second half the Slovenians were less overcome by the occasion and scored an equaliser through their star man Zahovic on 59 minutes but straight away Exteberria scored to give Spain the lead 2-1 which they held onto. The Slovenians had thrown away a 3-0 lead to draw 3-3 with Yugoslavia in their first game and were a bit naive in this game too, and after a goalless draw with Norway they headed home. Spain lost to France in the quarter finals.F7F790C3-9928-4BB5-A6DC-AF32E347FFAB.jpegB0A89965-BD8E-4A62-AD4A-EDDDCC982E7A.jpegEAF7EA60-6E3B-4440-B5B5-107B1736870C.jpeg

Last edited:

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
1977 saw my one and only visit to Northants cricket ground for the first day of the county championship game against Gloucestershire.

Northants were all out for 216, an 8th wicket stand of 96 between Virgin (87) and Sarfraz (61) being the highlight. Brain ripped out the middle order with 4 for 62.

Gloucestershire limped to 76 for 6 in reply (Stovold 42). They were eventually all out for 81, Willey taking 5 for 14.

Northants 2nd innings was declared on 267 for 7 (Mushtaq Mohammed 147). Gloucestershire were then bowled out for 188 (Bedi 5 for 64) to give the home team a comfortable 214 run win.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
There are five games on the list for this date

1989 – After the match at Hannover, it was down to the 2. Bundesliga, and another relegation scrap. So much of a scrap that the match attracted some 6000 more than the previous day’s game. Around 18,000 spectators paying DM10 to enter. No programme for this game, although I did pick up one from the previous game. I was also surprised to note that the Bieberer Ring still did not have floodlights at the time.

Going into the game, Union Solingen and FSV Mainz had already been relegated from the division, with Bayreuth on 32 points and Offenbach on 33 in the other relegation places. Aschaffenburg were on 34, while Osnabruck and Rot Weiss Essen also in potential trouble on 35. Meppen also on 35 had some security due to better goal difference, as Essen were the visitors at Offenbach.

I got to the ground in good time, there being little else of note in Offenbach for a Sunday lunchtime. Kick off was 3 p.m. The 3.30 kick off time seems to be a standard in Germany only for Saturdays.

I do not remember much about the game, it was won by a single goal, giving Kickers the lead on 58 minutes. This was enough to take them above Essen in the table. A win for Bayreuth placed them ahead of Aschaffenburg, who lost in Wattenscheid.

There was a kick in the tail for Kickers, as after the season had finished, they had their license rescinded, and hence were relegated anyway. Bayreuth’s win giving them another season in the zweite.

2000 – Following from the game at Assen, I had a ticket to see Norway play Yugoslavia, (do you remember when there was a Yugoslavia?) in Liege, but first a play-off game in Germany. The game was VfB Hüls against Borussia Neunkirchen for a place in the Regionalliga in the following season. This was due to one of the regular German re-organisations of the Regionalliga. Four teams in the group with Elversberg trying to retain their place at the third level, while Hüls, Neunkirchen and Wuppertal were all trying to move up. The teams played each other once only, with every team getting one home game, but the final pair of games being at neutral venues. Elversberg had one both games before the final day, Hüls and Wuppertal had one win each, both away from home, while Neunkirchen had lost both. The format did not do a lot to attract fans for the final legs, and only around 200 there. 12 DM to enter, no programme.

The match was south of Köln, at the Sportplatz Höhenburg, home of Viktoria Köln. Two goals in the first half and another near the end gave VfB Hüls a comfortable victory, but with Elversberg winning the other game, they were not promoted.

Then on to Liege, no problem at all with the timings, I think we parked near the station and then took a shuttle bus to Sclessin. This was the second group game, and Norway had marked a good opening when Steffen Iversen had scored the only goal as they beat Spain. Yugoslavia had drawn 3-3 with Slovenia in their earlier game. Earlier in the evening, Spain had beaten Slovenia to join Norway on three points.

The two main features of our game were Savo Milosevic’ early goal, and the short cameo by Mateja Kezman. He came on after 86 minutes, and survived 45 seconds of play before Hugh Dallas showed him the red card.

I paid €50, to be part of a crowd of 28,750. I did not buy the programme

2006 – Still on my weekend break from the World Cup trip, I drive down to Praha to see Bohemians 1905. For the season, this was one of the two clubs with the Bohemians name in Praha, both claiming to be the successor of the original. 1905 had the advantage in that they had secured the use of Dolicek, the home ground of the Bohemians club, and they also took most of the fan base with them, meaning that there were 3,616

It would also have helped that Varnsdorf, the visitors were joint top of the division with Caslav. I cannot remember who were actually top with a game to play, as although Varnsdorf had the better goal difference, I think it would be the head to head record that decides. Having said that, I do not recall seeing many away fans in the ground.

I have selected pictures from this one for tweet of the day. Bohemians won 2-0. Caslav won their game, so Varnsdorf were second and Bohemians were fourth behind Caslav, Varnsdorf and the other Bohemians club. 1905 then bought out the license from financially troubled Xaverov and like the Sokolov team I saw a day earlier, they would end up with an unearned promotion

2011 - I had not seen anything in the Kingdom Caledonian League, but was persuaded by Prorege that their Scottish Brewers Cup final would be worth the effort. As with most f the day trips to Scotland, I was also indebted to Buncranaboy (and possibly Knowyourmarket). I cannot remember who was on each trip. The match was played at Kelty Hearts' ground, with a counted 155 people buying raffle tickets for admission (£2, I didn't win). Cupar Hearts 3-1 Rosyth Civil Service. The ground has been extensively improved in the last few years

P1030982 m.JPG

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 18th June 1996

England 4 Netherlands 1 (76,798)

An evening where England destroyed the Dutch, in one of their best performances that I've seen.
Two goals each from the SAS strike force to top the group, before a Kluivert consolation denied the Scots further progress.

Eesti7

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Gillingham, Tonbridge
Belarusian Premier League
Ataka Minsk 0 Dynamo Minsk 2

This was my eighth game at the Traktor Stadium since the beginning of May, seven of those in a 17 day period, as it was being used by Ataka, Dynamo and Dynamo 93. It's still there although there are plans to build a purpose built national football stadium nearby.

On the far side of the ground there was a large painted image of Lenin. It wasn't in very good condition and must have been there for many years. So I decided to take my camera to the Traktor Stadium for the first time to get some snaps. But, in the few weeks since my last visit they'd ripped it down and now there was just a big pile of wood. Oh, the disappointment!

In 1997 admission was free and the stewarding (ie militiamen) low key so I could always just wander in with my rucksack. However, in later years rucksacks were banned from stadiums in Minsk. I watched one game from the park behind the ground in 2002 where plenty would gather for an excellent free view.

I'm not aware of Ataka issuing any programmes apart from for their Inter-Toto Cup ties with Rotor Volgograd and Antalyaspor in 1996.

Belarusian Premier League
Lokomotiv Vitebsk 0 Belshina Bobruisk 4

Although the railways in Belarus are very efficient, they're not very fast. So this trip involved a train at dawn to Vitebsk, followed by an late evening train that got me back to Minsk almost 24 hours later.

I hadn't been to Vitebsk before meaning it was the last of the six regional capitals that I visited. There was a small old town, a zoo with a lion in a bare concrete cage and a war memorial on a hill above the river. It's also the birthplace of the artist Marc Chagall and his childhood home is a small museum.

The Dynamo Stadium (according to Wiki it has another name now) has a wonderful, imposing 8,000 seater stand with no cover but nothing else apart from a small pavillion opposite.

All the free programmes had been distributed by the time I arrived but I wasn't worried that I wouldn't get one. Whenever programmes were given away you could be sure that lots of people would simply use them for sitting on and leave them after the game. However, someone near me was holding a copy and I managed to get that from him at full-time.

Cleeve

Reserve Team Hopeful
2000 Spain 2 Slovenia 1 Euro 2000 crowd 51,300
Amsterdam Arena, Holland
Also at this game and also disliked the Arena Card.

European Championship Finals - Group Game
Slovenia 1-2 Spain
At Amsterdam Arena
Attendance: 53,100 (Wiki)
Scorers: Zahovic 59; Raul 4, Etxaberria 60

Spain needed to win this game as they lost their first match to Norway. And it looked like it would be a cake walk with Raul scoring after four minutes. But Slovenia dug in and equalised on 59 minutes. By now, I think most neutrals were willing on the Slovenians, but Spain replied immediately and managed to beat a team from a country with a population of only two million.

We travelled by train from our base in Nunspeet which mean plenty of bars could be visited in Amsterdam before the 6pm kickoff. I was impressed by the arena but not by the arena card. Why would I want to put credit on a card that I couldn't spend completely in my one visit to the arena and that I couldn't spend anywhere else? We didn't spend any money in the stadium, serves them right.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Cricket
Sunday 18th June 1989
Sunday League 40 overs a side
Somerset v Kent at Recreation Ground Bath
Scores Somerset 249 for 8 Kent 169 all out
My one and only visit to the Rec for cricket. Chris Tavare
who had left Kent at the end of the 1988 season scored
a brilliant 110 for Somerset and was backed up by Richard
Harden who made 49. Richard Davis took 5 for 52 and was Kents
best bowler. Kent in reply struggled and only Mark Benson with 45
and Steve Marsh with 40 got past 20. Tavare caught Benson off
the bowling of Vic Marks. Marks was the best bowler for Somerset
with 4 for 48.
As I understand it Somerset have not played a home county or 1 day match
outside of Taunton since 2011.

Sunday 18th June 2006
National Club Knockout Competition 45 overs a side
Bromley v Lordswood at Plaistow Lane Bromley
Free admission no scorecard
Scores Bromley 295 for 6 Lordswood 147 all out 28 overs
A crushing defeat for Lordswood, Bromley's innings was based
on a magnificent 197 not out by Nadeem Shahid the ex Essex
and Surrey player. This remains the highest score I have
ever seen a player get in a 1 day match.
Bromley is a pleasant ground to watch cricket on with
a two storey clubhouse and some bench seating on the ground.

Wednesday 18th June 2008
T20 Cup South Group Match
Surrey v Hampshire at the Oval
Scores Surrey 175 for 6 Hampshire 177 for 6
Admission £15 if bought on advance £20 on day Scorecard 50p
I used to like attending t20 matches here going straight there
from work, Though it should be said that a lot of the crowd
often seemed more interested in drink than watching the cricket
I once heard a lady say to her friends 'that was a lovely evening
but I didn't have a clue what was going on on the pitch'
A decent match won with an over to spare by Hants with 46
runs each by Carberry and Ervine.

FLOYD FIRECAN

Junior Team Regular
1999 UEFA Regions Cup - Group 8
England [Cheshire F.A.] 2 - 0 Scotland [West Scotland Region]
Venue - Athletic Union Complex Dublin; Kick Off - 4.00 p.m.; Att. 125

For the final round of games in Group 8 of this first ever UEFA Regions Cup competition, the 4 teams returned to the Athletic Union Complex, the training H.Q. of the Irish National teams. All 4 sides were playing their 3rd game in 5 days which, happily, had all been played in good weather.
England again had the afternoon slot in a contest which saw opponents Scotland, having overcome favourites Holland last time out, still in with a chance of topping the group. However they were brushed aside by an excellent team display which saw England take control from the off. But they had to wait until the stroke of halftime before taking the lead when Stork's Paul Wiggans finished off a well constructed attacking move. The same player was involved in doubling the advantage when, just after the hour mark, he was brought down in the box at the end of a fine solo run. Mike Riley of Poulton Vics. stepped up to convert the resultant spot kick. The England side had improved with each game throughout the competition and easily went on to complete victory.

UEFA Regions Cup - Group 8
Republic of Ireland 0 - 2 Holland [District West II]
Venue - Athletic Union Complex Dublin; Kick Off - 7.00 p.m.; Att. 800

Hosts, Ireland only required a draw to emerge as Group winners but were unable to make much impression against a Dutch side displaying greater fitness. Top English official Neale Barry brandished 6 yellow cards in a competitive encounter which saw Paulo Majdershagen open the scoring in the 26th minute that was added to by Rade Trifkovic early in the 2nd period. The result left Holland as Group winners and they went on to compete in the Finals held in Veneto [Italy], with the hosts defeating Madrid AMA in the final.
P W D L F A Pts
FINAL TABLE :- Holland 3 2 0 1 5 3 6
England 3 1 1 1 4 3 4
Rep of Ire 3 1 1 1 3 3 4
Scotland 3 1 0 2 2 5 3

England Squad - John Gann, Craig Campbell, Nicky Dillon, Chris Durkin, Dave Mayes, Graeme Pringle, Graham Steele, Dave Huyton [Heswall], Ian Dolan, Lee Atherton, Ken Burgess,Mark Jones, Neil Larkin, [Cammell Laird]. Mike Smith,capt, Paul Wiggans [Stork], Neil Clarke [Shell], Mike Riley [Poulton Vics], John Thompson [Mersey Royal].
Manager - Ken Meadows, Asst, Manager Steve Jones [Heswall].
Medical Officer - Dr. Michael Freeman, Physiotherapist - Rick Carter [Crewe Alexadra]

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1996 UEFA European Championship, Gp A: England 4 Netherlands 1 (att 76,798) at Wembley Stadium
Little that hasn't already been said about this game. I think Kluivert's late goal back cost Scotland a place in the quarter-finals.

1996 UEFA European Championship, Gp C: Norway 0 Yugoslavia 1 (28,750) at R. Standard de Liege
Interesting to read that Leo preceded this with a game in Germany. I'd was driving so would have done the same if it had occurred to me that there might have been extra games I could have got to. Instead I spent a few hours soaking up the lively atmosphere in Liege.

1944a.jpg

1944b.jpg

2004 SJFA Tayside League, Premier Div: Broughty Athletic 2 Arbroath Sporting Club 3 (40)
A Friday evening game in Dundee the day after a day trip to Coimbra. At least I didn't have to worry about pickpockets in Broughty Ferrry. This is the latest date I've watched Scottish junior football.

2492.jpg

2011 Estonia, Meistriliiga: FC Ajax Lasnamae 2 FC Kuressaare 2 (55)
An official crowd of just 55 for a top division match! Ajax were bottom and winless, and the opposition were from an island and brought few, if any, fans. It was all enjoyably laid back though. The basic Ajax Stadium was a long but pleasant walk from central Tallinn. I got a bus back. The home side have since be rebranded as Ajax Tallinn

3608a.jpg

3608b.jpg

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
2006 (Sunday) - Double in the Moray Welfare League.
Premier Division. Newmill v Buckie United 5-1 at The Leys, Newmill.
Division 1. St Mamans v Tomintoul 2-4 at McRobert Park, Aberchirder.
2009 (Thursday) - Catforth & Dist. Summer League. Barron Cup 2nd round.
Preston City v Anfield 5-0 at Tulketh High School, Preston.
2011 (Saturday) - Rugby League Conference Yorkshire Premier (West).
Lindley Swifts v Shaw Cross Sharks 32-48.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
1987 (Thursday) – Enskede IK 0 Huddinge IF 0 (Sweden, Division 3) A5 programme issued. Small but modern athletics stadium in southern suburbs of Stockholm, close to metro.

1988 (Saturday early afternoon) – Spanga IS 4 Ludvika FF 2 (Sweden, 3rd tier) A4 programme issued. Athletics stadium in Stockholm, uncovered seating along one side.

1988 (Saturday late afternoon) – Hogalids IF 0 Vartans IK 2 (Sweden, Division 4 Stockholm Mellersta) played at the Kristinebergs IP with single sheet double-sided A5 programme issued.

1989 (Sunday early afternoon) – Essinge IK 0 Ska IK 1 (Sweden, Division 4 Stockholm Mellersta, A5 programme issued) This was a revisit to the Kristinebergs IP on the first anniversary of my original visit!

1989 (Sunday late afternoon) - Bagarmossens-Bellevue 0 IK City 1 (A5 four-page programme) match played at the Karrtorps IP. After the match I headed for the nearby Ropsten ferry terminal for the ferry to Finland.

1994 (Saturday) – Riccarton 3 South Canterbury 2 (New Zealand, Southern League, Premier Division) No programme. This Riccarton is not the Edinburgh suburb, but a large western suburb of Christchurch (I have an old atlas which shows it as a separate town) and I was fortunate in those pre-internet days to find out about the fixture, as coverage of soccer in NZ newspapers is not as good as that as in Australia, where I had flown from a couple of days earlier. It was thanks to a woman in the tourist information office at the railway station who found me a newspaper that had not only the fixtures listed, but the venues as well. The ground, Ray Blank Park in Maidstone Road, was however, nothing more than a roped-off pitch in a public park and entry was free. The aerial photo on Acme Mapper shows two football pitches marked out, unlike the Google photo which doesn’t. According to the following day’s newspaper, there had apparently been an earthquake in the city at around the time the match was played, although I hadn’t noticed it.

1995 (Sunday) – FSV Mainz 05 7 FSV Frankfurt 1 (Germany 2nd division, attendance 3,859) A4 programme issued. This match was played at Mainz’s old Bruchweg stadium, which was later rebuilt, only for the club to then decide a few years later to move to a new stadium further out of town. I haven’t returned to the town since this match, and a look at the aerial photo shows that the Bruchweg is still there although one end has been demolished. According to Wiki, it is still in use for the club’s youth team games.

2003 (Wednesday) - BK Forward 4 Atvidabergs FF 1 (Sweden second tier, attendance 643) A5 programme issued. This match was played at the second biggest stadium in Orebro, the Trangens IP which is BK Forward’s normal home venue.

2004 (Friday) - Askollen BK 6 Roa IL 3 (Norway, Division 4) No programme. This match was played on one of the most basic venues I’ve ticked in Norway, Askollen being a village just outside Drammen. The goalposts had not yet been put up when I arrived at the unenclosed ground, giving me some cause for concern, but everything eventually turned out fine. A man came around the pitch collecting gate money and handing out a nice orange ticket in return.

2005 (Saturday) Finn Harps 2 Waterford United 0 (Eire Premier Division) B5 programme issued. The first of two visits I have made to Finn Park in Ballybofey.

2006 (Sunday) - Atvidabergs FF 0 Trelleborgs FF 2 (Sweden ‘Superettan’) Attendance 1,191 (A5 programme issued) This wonderful old ground with wooden stands is in a town that is not on the rail network and I travelled by bus from Norrkoping.

2010 (Friday) - Utsiktens BK 0 Holmalunds IF 2 (Sweden Division 2 Vastra Gotaland) see attached link for WDYG report from old forum. http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/f...earch_string=utsiktens;guest=336536316#253389

2011 (Saturday) - HIFK 4 KPV Kokkola 0 (Finland 2nd tier) See link for WDYG report on old forum http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/f...955;search_string=HIFK;guest=336536316#335955

2014 (Wednesday) - Hammarby IF 1 GAIS 3 (Sweden, ‘Superettan’) Attendance 14,311 (B5 programme issued) played at Hammarby’s impressive new stadium.

2015 (Thursday) - FK Spyris Kaunas 0 FK Trakia 3 (Lithuania, top division) No programme although I obtained an A4 match poster. My first ever match in Lithuania, played at the Dariaus/Gireno stadium.

2016 (Saturday early afternoon) - Hisingsbacka 4 FK Kozara 0 (Sweden Division 4 Gothenburg) No programme. Played at the ‘Backavallen’ in the northern suburbs of Gothenburg. http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/f...;search_string=orgryte;guest=336536316#743600

2016 (Saturday late afternoon) - Orgryte IS 0 Dalkurd FF 1 (Sweden ‘Superettan’ Attendance 2,314) See above link for WDYG report on old forum.

2017 (Sunday) – MSK Puchov 2 Banik Horna Nitra 1 (Slovak Republic, third tier) A5 four page programme issued. This was the furthest I had travelled from Bratislava for a match in this country.

Warwickian

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 18th June 2005
Argentina 4 Australia 2
Confederations Cup.Group A

The start of a five day trip to Germany to visit three grounds to be used for the following years World Cup.I flew out from Birmingham to Frankfurt on the Saturday morning and then got the train down to Nurnberg for my first match.I must say that I really liked Nurnberg, an interesting city which had been rebuilt after the war but had plenty to see.
The Franken Stadion was easily reached on the S bahn and I was treated to an entertaining game with Argentina going two up by half-time with goals from Luciano Figueroa and Juan Roman Riquelme (penalty). When they went three up on 53 minutes from Figueroa again,it looked game over but the Aussies fought back with two goals from John Aloisi to make it an interesting last twenty minutes.Argentina rode the storm and a third goal from Figueroa clinched the win for Argentina.
Attendance of 25,618

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Scotland (1) 1 Switzerland (0) 0
UEFA European Championship Group A
Tuesday 18th June, 1996
At Villa Park, Att.: 34,926

I travelled to this game expecting to see not much more than an exercise in fixture fulfilment and it turned into the most excruciating, nerve shredding occasion (or at least it did if you were Scottish!).
The unlikely equation that Scotland needed was for them to beat Switzerland, England to beat the Netherlands and for there to be a goal difference swing of five. Having missed other chances, Ally McCoist had given Scotland a 36th minute lead but the day really swung on the well documented events at Wembley. Three goals in eleven minutes saw England 4-0 up and remarkably Scotland were in second place in the group. My seat was not far from the dug outs and at this point there were clearly messages going out to the Scottish team, presumably telling them not to take any risks.
Unfortunately for them, Kluivert's goal came with twelve minutes to go at Wembley and the Scots suddenly had just a few minutes to get a second. It never did come and they will have undoubtedly regretted the quarter of an hour where they seemed content to sit on a 1-0 lead.
The Swiss fans were in good voice again so this, added to the usual Scottish support, made for another raucous occasion where the atmosphere was more memorable than the actual football.
Euro96-ScvSw.JPG

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks