June 11th

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1994 2.30pm SJFA Eastern Regional Lge, Div 2: Stoneyburn Juniors 2 Haddington Athletic 2 (att 150)

1078.jpg

1994 7pm Forth & Endrick League: Balfron Rovers 3 Buchlyvie United 1 (112)

My first Forth and Endrick League game. A good one to begin with, with a decent crowd and a programme.

1079.jpg

2003 European Championship, Qual Gp 7: England 2 Slovakia 1 (33,106) at Middlesbrough FC
Covered by Karb, which is just as well as I can't remember much about it.

2005 2.30pm SJFA Fife League: Rosyth Recreation 5 Lochgelly Albert 1 (157)
Pity the club have vacated this ground for a caged 3G, at least temporarily.

2632.JPG

2005 7pm Forth & Endrick League: Fintry 1 Gargunnock 4 (25)

Returned to Fintry expecting to tidy it up after a second half abandonment in 2002 (see the 8 June retro thread). The pitch used that day had become a rugby pitch, so this was played a newer pitch even further from the Fintry Sport Club building.

2633.JPG

2011 SJFA West Region, Cup Winners Cup SF: Arthurlie 2 Irvine Meadow XI 2 4-2 on pens (700)

3605.jpg

2016 Stirling & District League, Premier Div: Stenhousemuir Communuity 6 Sunnyside Thistle 4 (15)

A long day trip just to see what is my only Stirling and District League game to date. Stenhousemuir Community now play in the Caledonian League and play home games at Ochilview Park.

4417.jpg

2017 Stewartry Sunday Amateur Lge, Clive Harris Memorial Cup QF: Birchtree 10 Twynholm 1 (18)
Information on this Scottish summer league has dried up so I suspect it's no more. This game was tagged onto a weekend break in Cumbria. Birchtree played in a public park next to Dalbeattie Star's ground.

4547.jpg

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Some more "highlights" from my running career on this date.

1994 Chigwell 10 (miles) 59-26 23rd

2000 Gold Cup First Round - Corby 10,000 metres 35-41.0 2nd

2011 Norwich parkrun (41) 22-53 73rd

2016 Catton parkrun (140) 22-57 69th

2017 East Anglian League - Great Yarmouth 800 metres 3-22.3 7th and 1500 metres 6-24.7 7th

As with some previous posts in this vein, two football grounds were visited for these races, possibly three if you include Eaton Park as "football ground"

The vulture

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Sodra Svealand Division 3 @ Skarpnacks Sportfalt :
Sparvagens FF 4 Ragsveds IF 1
Entry : Free Att 112.

The ground is in one of the more troubled parts of the city, apparently crime ridden although the walk to and from the Metro wasn't at all threatening or uncomfortable.

The game was played on a 3g with 3 sides of it caged in, although access was available behind both goals. On the uncaged side were 5 steps of terracing with an announcement box central to this. A 4 page programme was issued which makes me wonder if an admission was charged.

The table showed the hosts in 6th place and the visitors 11th in the 12 team Division.

Two brief spells saw the goals. Efforts on 3 and 6 minutes for 2-0 at HT with 2 more on 53 and 56 minutes, before the visitors netted a consolation on 72 mins.

The official attendance was 112 but my headcount only came to 77.

It is only now, 11 years later, that I realise that I saw Ragsveds teams two days running, BK yesterday and IF today.

Chris1963

First Team Sub
1987 (Thursday) – AIK 1 Hammarby IF 1 (Sweden, top division. Attendance 11,626) A5 programme issued. This was my first ever trip to Stockholm, which I travelled to by train after spending the previous night at the Kalmar youth hostel. The match was played at the Rasunda stadium, which as someone else on this forum mentioned the other day, has since been demolished. Paying for entry was not a problem although such a potentially volatile derby match might be all-ticket today with no sales on the day. As things were, there was no crowd trouble. If only things were still like that today!

1988 (Saturday) - Varbergs BOIS 1 Norrstrands IF 1 (Sweden, third tier) A5 programme issued. Varberg is a town on the west coast, about halfway between Halmstad and Gothenburg.

1989 (Sunday) - Schalke‘04 4 BW 90 Berlin 1 (German second tier) Glossy A4 programme issued. There was a near-capacity crowd of around 66,000 present at the old Gelsenkirchen stadium for this match. It is the biggest crowd for any second-tier match I have attended anywhere in the world. If I recall correctly, entry was only 1 DM to stand on the terraces behind the goal, which explains the huge crowd despite the fact that this was an end of season ‘dead rubber’ match. I still haven’t been to Schalke’s new stadium yet though.

1994 (Saturday) - Port Melbourne 0 Thomastown 1 (Victoria State League, Premier Division) No programme. With no shortage of matches to choose from this day, due to nearly all matches in Victoria having to be played at the same time so that they could appear on the British pools coupon, why did I choose this particular match? The reason was simply that I remembered reading in a Sunday newspaper - sometime between 1976 and 1978 - that Port Melbourne had won 11-0 at home and this, coupled with the fact that they had a name which was easy to remember, led me to decide to tick their ground. It is a rather basic venue, being little more than a railed-off pitch and unsurprisingly it is located not very far from the waterfront. No chance of a repeat of that 11-0 scoreline though, as the ‘Port’ lost at home to Thomastown.

1995 (Sunday early afternoon) - Brondby IF 2 Aalborg BK 1 (Attendance 17,678 in the Danish top flight) Glossy B5 programme issued. The first of this double was at Brondby’s impressive stadium, which I believe has been expanded further still since then.

1995 (Sunday late afternoon) - Bronshoj BK 2 Efb Esbjerg 4 (Attendance 654 in the Danish third tier) A5 programme issued. I recall someone posting on here recently saying that they managed a very tight double of this ground with nearby Gladsaxe even though they had to miss a few minutes of one match! Fortunately I had no such problems as there was plenty of time to spare after Brondby even though I needed a train journey between the two. Fairly basic ground with only uncovered seating or terracing available, although in 1987 I had seen Bronshoj play a home game at a bigger ground elsewhere in Copenhagen, due to them being in the top flight then.

1996 (Tuesday) - Indepediente 3 Newell’s Old Boys 2 (Argentinian top flight) No programme. The home club are based in Avanelleda, a large suburb of Buenos Aires, and their stadium is less than a mile from that of Racing Club. I remember that the match was a very late scheduled kick-off at 9 pm and that half-time took at least twenty minutes. All the goals came in the second half.
The stadium has since been largely rebuilt but for some reason the new stands are mostly uncovered.

1998 (Thursday) - Chicago Fire 5 San Jose Clash 2 (Attendance 7,598) MLS. Programme/League magazine issued. This match was played at the Soldier Field, which has since been rebuilt, but as with Indepediente, the reason for doing so is unclear as none of the new stands are covered.

2005 (Saturday) - Gunnilse IS 3 Floda BOIF 1 (Sweden third tier, attendance 360) Programme issued. Fairly modern ground in outlying northern suburb of Gothenburg.

2006 (Sunday) - Qviding FIF 1 Atvidabergs FF 2 (Sweden ‘Superettan’) Attendance 610, programme issued. Small ground in eastern Gothenburg. Home club had made rapid rise to second tier of Swedish football but they were relegated not long afterwards.

2007 (Monday) - Lindome GIF 1 Kinna IF 0 (Sweden Division 2 Vastra Gotaland, attendance 470) Four page A5 programme issued. I keep forgetting where this match was played and had to look it up on Google Maps! Lindome is a small town with a railway station on the line going south from Gothenburg. Basic ground.

2011 (Saturday) - FC Svendborg 0 Brabrand IF 1 (Denmark, Division 2 West) Svendborg is a port at the end of a branch railway line from Odense. One of those Danish grounds that is surrounded by a lot of trees, and there is a covered stand.

2015 (Thursday) – Huddinge IF 0 Nykopings BIS 4 (Attendance – 239, Sweden, Division One North) Teamsheet programme.

2016 (Saturday 2 pm) Vasteras IK 1 Boo FK 0 (Sweden Division 2 Norra Svealand) First part of a very tight double, see WDYG report on old forum.

2016 (Saturday 4 pm) Vasteras SK/FK 1 Vasalund IF 1 (Sweden, Division One) I arrived just one minute before kick-off, see WDYG report on old forum.

2017 (Sunday) Kalundborg GB 0 Kastrup BK 5 (Denmark Series, Group 1) See my WDYG report on old forum.

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1993- Rugby League. Castleford & Featherstone Dist. Open Cup Final at Swillington Miners Welfare. Fryston v Jubilee 24-16.
1995- SJFA Ayrshire Cup Final at Irvine Meadow. Kilwinning Rangers v Largs Thistle 3-1.
2000- Three more matches in the Bradford Asian Tournament at University of Bradford, Woodhall Playing Fields:
Premier Div. SF. Azaad Sports ( Birmingham) v Warley Rangers 0-3.
Div.2 Final. Khalsa Sports ( Derby) v Punjab United ( Wolverhampton) 3-2 (aet).
Premier Div. Final. Albion Sports v Warley Rangers 0-3.
2005- UEFA Women's Championship. Group A. Denmark v Finland 1-2 at Blackpool.
2011- Rugby League Summer Conference Yorkshire (West). Prospect Pirates ( Eccleshill) v Lindley Swifts 36-10 at Undercliffe ARLFC, Apperley Bridge, Bradford.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
1989 (Sunday) - Schalke‘04 4 BW 90 Berlin 1 There was a near-capacity crowd of around 66,000 present at the old Gelsenkirchen stadium for this match. It is the biggest crowd for any second-tier match I have attended anywhere in the world. If I recall correctly, entry was only 1 DM to stand on the terraces behind the goal, which explains the huge crowd despite the fact that this was an end of season ‘dead rubber’ match.

Not a dead rubber - Schalke were only 2 points above the relegation places with 2 matches (including this one) left to play.
>>>>

I have been to 5 mtaches on this date, the 3 Junior fixtures in Scotland have already been mentioned. Here is the programme from Arthurlie:
Art.jpeg

My WDYG though is something a bit different at Italia 90. By now I think the group was up to 4 and we moved on to Genoa for Costa Rica v Scotland. The problem was, that when we got to the ground, there were 100s of ticketless Scots around and as soon there was a sniff of a ticket the seller was surrounded. We decided to split up and seek out quieter areas. The others managed to get a ticket (I remember Dave C got one for face value from a Swedish girl) but I couldn't, so I retired to a local bar to watch the match on TV and very entertaining it was too, although I was not impressed with the number of empty seats visible in the ground. Equally entertaining was the sight of the happy Scots trudging away from the ground afterwards.

Last edited:

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Four games for me on this date over the years:

1994: Regionalliga-Aufstiegsrunde - Luneburger SK 0 - 0 S V Wilhelmshaven - Att: 5,200

One of two games seen in a quick weekend trip to northern Germany. I arrived at Luneburg railway station with no idea where this match was being played (the now-demolished Stadion Wilschenbruch as it turned out) and walked to two little grounds that appeared on a street map but were clearly not the place. Things have to be desperate for me to get into a taxi (or any sort of car really) but I walked back to the railway station and got in a cab. Unfortunately the driver had no idea where the game was being played either and expressed disbelief when I said there was a 'grosser spiele' in Luneburg that day. Fortunately she got on the radio and her controller put her right.

All this had taken time and the ground was bursting at the seams when I arrived. They happily squeezed me in though and I was able to appreciate what a fine, old-fashioned little ground it was. Although a full house, I got the feeling that there were a lot of casual visitors present and the hard core support for both clubs seemed quite small. The result did not get LSK promoted and they had to wait until 2000 for a taste of the Regionalliga.

1995: Umbro Cup - England 1 - 3 Brazil - Att: 67,318

I had left it to a friend to sort the tickets for this Wembley match from a 'contact' of his and as soon as I met up with him and saw the ticket I smelt a rat. It just did not look right. I'm looking at it now. It says "Duplicate ticket in place of one lost or stolen" and is over-stamped "v Brazil". There is no price on it. These got us in without problem to an odd little section of seats near the front with an unusually (for Wembley) good view. We were surrounded by rather overweight, middle-aged men in jackets and ties. Odd; and we felt a bit conspicuous. I think we worked out what was going on, but it became obvious 20 minutes before the end when an announcement was made "Will all coach drivers please return to their vehicles" and very quickly we had the block of seats to ourselves.

Of course we had really wanted to be sat amongst the bikini-clad babes from Ipanema, but had to make do with distant sightings. England held their own for a long time in this match, with Graeme Le Saux scoring, before Brazil really turned it on in the second half - Ronaldo (the real one) amongst their scorers.

1998: World Cup Finals - Cameroon 1 -1 Austria - Att: 33,500
This match was played at the Stade de Toulouse, my first of two games there in quick succession. We were quite a large group today and had made the most of the drinking opportunities in town before the match that had drawn a crowd mostly made up of locals and neutrals. Apart from the block of Austrian fans almost everyone, including us, was supporting Cameroon and Austria's injury time equaliser was greeted by more of a groan than a cheer.

2011 - MLS - Philadelphia Union 1 - 1 Real Salt Lake - Att: 18,728
A long day trip from New York to Philadelphia by Amtrak with Little Kev. We were in town early and had a few tip-offs of good city centre bars to follow up. Very quickly we realised we had stumbled in to Philly Beer Week and we managed to attend three or four listed events in a couple of hours. One of the bars was running a coach to the football. They had no room for us, but gave good advice on how to get to the stadium. Do not go to the nearest subway station and walk the rest, they said, as the stadium is in a very rough area. There was a different station we should go to where shuttle buses connected to the ground. Very good advice as it turned out and the area around the stadium looked the very definition of rough.

The match appeared to be a sell-out, making us glad we had bought on-line tickets in advance, and we loved the stadium and the atmosphere. Union have a little ultras group behind the goal who kicked up quite a racket, we found a 'craft beer' bar in the ground and we enjoyed the classic American scenery over the stadium wall. We did not enjoy the swarms of biting insects though.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Not a dead rubber - Schalke were only 2 points above the relegation places with 2 matches (including this one) left to play.
>>>>

Indeed, it was the game against Blau-Weiss that confirmed Schalke would not be relegated. A two points for a win, they were then three above the relegation zone

DJM61

Youth Team Starter
>>>>

I have been to 5 mtaches on this date, the 3 Junior fixtures in Scotland have already been mentioned. Here is the programme from Arthurlie:
View attachment 2372

My WDYG though is something a bit different at Italia 90. By now I think the group was up to 4 and we moved on to Genoa for Costa Rica v Scotland. The problem was, that when we got to the ground, there were 100s of ticketless Scots around and as soon there was a sniff of a ticket the seller was surrounded. We decided to split up and seek out quieter areas. The others managed to get a ticket (I remember Dave C got one for face value from a Swedish girl) but I couldn't, so I retired to a local bar to watch the match on TV and very entertaining it was too, although I was not impressed with the number of empty seats visible in the ground. Equally entertaining was the sight of the happy Scots trudging away from the ground afterwards.
Was also at Costa Rica v Scotland

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Indeed, it was the game against Blau-Weiss that confirmed Schalke would not be relegated. A two points for a win, they were then three above the relegation zone

Thanks Leo and LL, I might have been aware of this in 1989 but I forget stuff like that easily.

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Four games for me on this date over the years:

1994: Regionalliga-Aufstiegsrunde - Luneburger SK 0 - 0 S V Wilhelmshaven - Att: 5,200

One of two games seen in a quick weekend trip to northern Germany. I arrived at Luneburg railway station with no idea where this match was being played (the now-demolished Stadion Wilschenbruch as it turned out) and walked to two little grounds that appeared on a street map but were clearly not the place.

I ticked the ground sometime around 1999 or 2000, didn't have any problems in finding it but my luck then ran out when I saw a notice pinned above the entrance that included the words 'Stadion-Zeitung' which was obviously an apology for the non-appearance of the programme, probably printing problems or something like that.

Looking at Google Earth's timeline feature shows that a lot of trees surrounding the ground were cut down when new houses were built on the site, which is rather surprising in view of the fact that the Green movement has always been very strong in Germany.

Cleeve

Youth Team Star

One of two games seen in a quick weekend trip to northern Germany. I arrived at Luneburg railway station with no idea where this match was being played (the now-demolished Stadion Wilschenbruch as it turned out) and walked to two little grounds that appeared on a street map but were clearly not the place. Things have to be desperate for me to get into a taxi (or any sort of car really) but I walked back to the railway station and got in a cab. Unfortunately the driver had no idea where the game was being played either and expressed disbelief when I said there was a 'grosser spiele' in Luneburg that day. Fortunately she got on the radio and her controller put her right.

All this had taken time and the ground was bursting at the seams when I arrived. They happily squeezed me in though and I was able to appreciate what a fine, old-fashioned little ground it was. Although a full house, I got the feeling that there were a lot of casual visitors present and the hard core support for both clubs seemed quite small. The result did not get LSK promoted and they had to wait until 2000 for a taste of the Regionalliga.
I ticked the Wilschenbruch stadium in May 1999. I'm not sure how I found it but it was worth it. As you say, a lovely old-fashioned ground in a woodland setting. I've scanned in a couple of pictures It took at the time:Luneburger 01.jpegLuneburger 02.jpeg

bluearmybob

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1995. ENGLAND (1) v BRAZIL (3) Umbro International Trophy. Att 67,318.

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
R2ab41ef94c66ee4e16f7575ec9000209.jpg

RETRO Part 2.

Wednesday @ 17-45.
European Championship. Finals. Group 1 Qualifying.
Germany 1 v 0 Czechoslovakia.

@ Olympic Stadium , Rome.
10,500 / 11,000.
olimpicopast4.jpg-s-l1600.jpg

Germany - Toni Schumacher , Hans Peter Briegel , Bernd Cullmann , Karlheinz Forster , Bernard Dietz , Bernard Forster , Manni Kaltz , Hansi Muller , Uli Stielike , Karl Heinz Rummenigge (1) , Klaus Allofs.
Sub - .Felix Magath for Forster B.
Manager - .Jupp Derwall.
Germany 1980_06_11_Roma,Italy_EC GR-Czechoslovakia v West Germany 0-1 No2.jpg

Czechoslovakia - Jaroslav Netolicka , Jozef Barmos , Ladislav Jurkemik , Anton Ondrus , Kolomon Gogh , Frantisek Stambachr , Jan Kozak , Antonin Panenka , Miroslav Gajdusek , Zdenek Nehoda , Ladislav Vizek.
Sub - Marian Masny for Gajdusek.
Manager - .Jozef Venglos.
Onze, Issue 55, July 1980, page 61.jpg

Referee. - Alberto Michelotti ( Italy ).

The game was won in the 57th minute with a Rummenigge header from a left wing Hansi Muller cross .
ger czech Guerin Sportivo, Numero 25 (292), June 18-June 14, 1980 - Copy.jpg-th2EUSJ22L.jpg

All the goals at the tournament , starts with the Rummenigge goal -
Final positions Group A.
West Germany 3 2 1 0 4- 2 5 ( Into Final ).
Czechoslovakia 3 1 1 1 4- 3 3 ( Into 3 / 4 place match ).
Netherlands 3 1 1 1 4- 4 3
Greece 3 0 1 2 1- 4 1
Final positions Group B.
Belgium 3 1 2 0 3- 2 4 ( Into Final ).
Italy 3 1 2 0 1- 0 4 ( Into 3 / 4 place match ).
England 3 1 1 1 3- 3 3
Spain 3 0 1 2 2- 4 1

Saturday June 21 3/4 Place Play Off. Czechoslovakia 1 v 1 Italy. No E/T. Czech 9-8 on pens @ Naples.
Sunday June 22 Final. Belgium 1 v 2 West Germany @ Rome.
17 x games , 0 x 0-0's 1 x double. beware_idiots.jpg 17 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1997 Bardejov 2 v 0 Dunajska Streda..
2009 Riga FS 2 v 0 Tranzits.
2015 Philippines 2 v 1 Bahrain.

-------------------------.1955----Le Mans crash---84 RIP---------------------------
155d389e28047351dba130d9e6be0a2d.jpg

Last edited:

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Some more "highlights" from my running career on this date.

1994 Chigwell 10 (miles) 59-26 23rd

2000 Gold Cup First Round - Corby 10,000 metres 35-41.0 2nd

2011 Norwich parkrun (41) 22-53 73rd

2016 Catton parkrun (140) 22-57 69th

2017 East Anglian League - Great Yarmouth 800 metres 3-22.3 7th and 1500 metres 6-24.7 7th

As with some previous posts in this vein, two football grounds were visited for these races, possibly three if you include Eaton Park as "football ground"
Rugby League

2005 Ipswich Rhinos - 38 Greenwich Admirals - 6 Rugby League Conference Premier Division South

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
2011, Saturday

Evening Times Cup Winners Cup Semi Final
Arthurlie v Irvine Meadow, 2-2, 4-2 on pens, Att c700
At Dunterlie Park Barrhead

This match turned into something of a “Forum Flashmob” with quite a few posters, past and present, in attendance.

The Glasgow Evening Times were loyal sponsors of Junior football over the decades. Their flagship tournament was this end of season Cup which was contested by all the League Division winners and Cup winners from the West. This meant it couldn’t get underway until all the other Cups had finished. Games were always staggered with one per day to afford maximum exposure on the pages of the Times.

For many of the posters there that day it was a first visit to Dunterlie Park. It’s a magnificent ground – one of the few real period pieces left in Scottish Non League football. I’ve never heard that it’s future is in doubt, but common sense says that should the opportunity arise for Arthurlie to get a new all-plastic Cage with Benefits then they might jump at it. Iconic old grounds may be manna to people reading this; They are a millstone around the neck of football clubs.

Arthurlie were 1-0 up, then 2-1 down with Meadow going in front 7 minutes from the end. That looked like it for the home team but an injury-time equaliser took the game to penalties. Arthurlie prevailed amidst scenes of much rejoicing from their fans and players.

Those who champion a pyramid system and neat / tidy league structures clearly don’t enjoy getting out and watching decent football. The days of the Scottish season extending to mid-June are pretty much gone now – Leagues will have to be finished in April or early May to allow for pre-arranged play offs. It may be the law of unintended consequences for some as the annual May / June game a day splurge was the highlight of the season for those who actually like to get out and watch games.

I was presumably too busy blethering to folk to take any photos, so pictures have been pinched from:

Arthurlie 3.JPG
Arthurlie 2.JPG
Arthurlie 1.JPG

Chris1963

First Team Sub
1994 (Saturday) - Port Melbourne 0 Thomastown 1 (Victoria State League, Premier Division) No programme. With no shortage of matches to choose from this day, due to nearly all matches in Victoria having to be played at the same time so that they could appear on the British pools coupon, why did I choose this particular match? The reason was simply that I remembered reading in a Sunday newspaper - sometime between 1976 and 1978 - that Port Melbourne had won 11-0 at home and this, coupled with the fact that they had a name which was easy to remember, led me to decide to tick their ground. It is a rather basic venue, being little more than a railed-off pitch and unsurprisingly it is located not very far from the waterfront. No chance of a repeat of that 11-0 scoreline though, as the ‘Port’ lost at home to Thomastown.
A short while ago today, I decided to check Google to see if there is an archive of Australian soccer results, and to my surprise, there is one going back many years. I found that the match in question had been played on 01/05/1976 (the date of the FA Cup final, which I remember watching on TV at home) and it actually ended with the score being 11-4 rather than 11-0 which suggests that my memory was only 50% correct. It's a great website to look at if you're interested in Aussie soccer!

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
A short while ago today, I decided to check Google to see if there is an archive of Australian soccer results, and to my surprise, there is one going back many years. I found that the match in question had been played on 01/05/1976 (the date of the FA Cup final, which I remember watching on TV at home) and it actually ended with the score being 11-4 rather than 11-0 which suggests that my memory was only 50% correct. It's a great website to look at if you're interested in Aussie soccer!

As a kid, back in the day when football barely featured in the media during the summer, perusing the Aussie fixtures on my old fella's pools coupon was almost the only footie fix available.

Port Melbourne, coincidentally, were 'my team'. After some near misses I remember they finally got promoted, but it was only when looking at the coupon the following summer I discovered that! Likewise, news of their immediate relegation only became apparent the following year. So gutted I lost interest after that. 😄

There were certainly some names to conjure with, and that link reminds me of some of them. Mooroolbark is another that somehow still lingers in the memory.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
As a kid, back in the day when football barely featured in the media during the summer, perusing the Aussie fixtures on my old fella's pools coupon was almost the only footie fix available.

Port Melbourne, coincidentally, were 'my team'. After some near misses I remember they finally got promoted, but it was only when looking at the coupon the following summer I discovered that! Likewise, news of their immediate relegation only became apparent the following year. So gutted I lost interest after that. 😄

There were certainly some names to conjure with, and that link reminds me of some of them. Mooroolbark is another that somehow still lingers in the memory.
Chelsea were another

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Don't remember Mooroolbark, but surely the best name is the club called Hoppers Crossing! (there is a suburb of Melbourne with that name) That one only came to my attention in the 1990's though, possibly after my 1994 trip which is the only time I've been to the country.

Incidentally, it has just occurred to me that the Aussie results of 01/05/1976 must have been the first ever ones I had read, because English matches would have been on the pools coupon the previous Saturday and I had only become really interested in football since the first weekend of October 1975.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock