June 11th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In the general election, held this day in 1987, Diane Abbott, Paul Boatang and Bernie Grant become Britain's first elected Black MPs.

The vulture

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog

Another first (and last), the only escape from Alcatraz Island by Frank Morris and brothers John and Clarence Anglin.

It'd be a good idea for a film, until they drown that is.

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
It'd be a good idea for a film, until they drown that is.
So no proof then ?
Will add game later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday @ 20-00.
World Cup 2018 Qualifying Group 8.
Philippines 2 v 1 Bahrain.

@ Philipines Sports Stadium , Ciudad de Victoria , Bulacan.
Philippine Sport Stadium - Ciudad Victoria, Bocaue, Bulacan

Cheers Markus Linke for photo.

Philippines - Neil Etheridge (ENG) , Robert Gier (ENG) , Stephen Palla (AUSTRALIA) , Iain Ramsay (AUSTRALIA) , Manuel Ott (GER) , Phil Younghusband (ENG) , Jerry Lucena(DEN) , Sato Daisuke (PHIL/JAPAN), Martin Steuble ( SWITZ), Stephen Schrock (GER) , Javier Patino (SPAIN) (1).
Subs - Misagh Bahadoran (PHIL)(1) for Patino , Juan Guirado (SPAIN)for Palla , Simone Rota (PHIL)for Gier.
Manager - Tom Dooley (USA)

Bahrain - Sayed Abbas , Abdulla Shallal , Waleed Al Hayam , Sayed Dhiya Shubbar , Abdullah Alhazaa , Abdulla Omar , Abdulwahab Ali Alsafi , Abdulwahab Al Malood (1), Faouzi Aaish , Mohamed Tayeb Alalawi , Sayed Ali Hashem.
Subs - Isa Moosa for Alalawi , Abdulla Yaser for Shubbar , Abdulla Janahi for Aaish.
Manager - Sergio Batista (ARG)

Referee - Jumpei Iida (Japan).

The Philippines are the 'Republic' of Asia , plucking anyone with a hint of Philippino blood in them to play for them.
The starting line up had 10 non born Philippino's and one born but not bred. Sato Daisuke (thank you Leo) despite being classed as Japanese on all the pre match press releases was indeed born in the Philippines but then went home to Japan for his early years upto University days. He had a Philippino mother and a Japanese dad and went back for football reasons to the Philippines..
Had a pre match chat with Etheridge who was fascinated by my mentioning I was at his debut for the Alex v Port Vale in Nov 2013. He has since made a good career for himself in the Football League.

The game was the first International at the newly built Philippines Sports Stadium (Cap 25,000), there had been club games here since opening for football on April 15 , 2015 for a domestic game.
The opening event at the venue allegedly had 50,000 on for a religious festival on July 21 , 2014.

Not the easiest to get to and from the stadium , it's about 17 mile North of downtown Manilla.
Time not being a problem I spent the afternoon in a shopping city in Marilou and had a relaxing few beers , at teatime I caught a cab to the Stadium , even 2 hours before there was a problem entering the stadium road off the NLEX. It was sorted by my cabby and I found the press centre for a chilling out period. Took a chance and thought I'd get a lift after game and indeed that was not a problem although I had to stay for the Post Match stuff.

The game was a bit of a surprise , Philippines were the better side and took a 2 goal lead by the hour. First substitute Bahadoran toe poked in a cross by Younghusband , then 10 mins later a left wing free kick by Ott was not collected by the keeper and it eventually fell to Patino to slam home.
Bahrain (106) quite a few places above Philippines (137) in the FIFA best teams table only managed a 93rd minute consolation goal with a neat effort by Al Malood who beat a defender rounded the keeper and slotted home , but far too late to be of any consequence.

Final placings.
1.Uzbekistan 8 7 0 1 20- 7 21
2.North Korea 8 5 1 2 14- 8 16
3.Philippines 8 3 1 4 8-12 10
4.Bahrain 8 3 0 5 10-10 9
5.Yemen 8 1 0 7 2-17 3

17 x games , (14 + 3 summer) , 0 x 0-0's, 1 x double, Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock (15 x foreign ).

Some others of note.

1980 Czechoslovakia 0 v 1 West Germany.
2009 Riga FS 2 v 0 Tranzits.

corn_cob-640x514.jpg
joemontana.jpg
Escape From Alcatraz' Mystery Revisited Video - ABC News

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
No one want to mention football then? I'll be back later

Until 11 June 1988, my country list was three, England, Scotland and Wales.

The vulture

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Freezing cold water, very fast currents, home made dinghy.

Scientists have shown that the currents could have washed them ashore if the hypothermia didn't get to them first. But had they safely landed ashore would 3 career criminals been able to see out the rest of their lives without comitting further misdemeanours and getting a tug from law enforcement?

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Freezing cold water, very fast currents, home made dinghy.

Scientists have shown that the currents could have washed them ashore if the hypothermia didn't get to them first. But had they safely landed ashore would 3 career criminals been able to see out the rest of their lives without comitting further misdemeanours and getting a tug from law enforcement?
OK you don't know then. Please delete these Leo including the unfounded drowned claim. Escape is correct.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Ostbrandenburgliga.
Union Frankfurt (Oder) 4 FC Concordia 1.
Adm. €1.50.
Prog. None.
Att. 35.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Dyrny Summer League all the way on this date - the only date so far that has occurred.

Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Trefnant v Henllan Won 3-5

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Rhewl Won 3-1

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Trefnant 4-1

With Henllan well out of the running I was rooting for my closest club at the time as they had never won anything up until around this time. They started with the shield I think and then went on to do the double, which I think was in 2009

2015 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Clawddnewydd v Llanrhaeadr 3-6

2018 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 6-2

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday June 11th 1977
Friendly
Scottish Miners v English Miners, 7-0
At Holyrood Park (Edinburgh)

Thought this one was worth a mention due to the unusual venue in the Queen’s back garden. The annual Scottish Miners Gala was held in Edinburgh every June. In Scotland it’s a “gah-la”, not a “gay-la” as in Northern England. Around 15,000 miners and their families descended on the city for a day of funfair, sports, dancing competitions, colliery bands, political speeches and a football match.

It may have been billed as Scotland v England Miners but in reality it was a Scotland Junior Select against a Northern League Select. All the top Junior clubs had players in the team – Newtongrange, Cumnock, Glenrothes etc – at a time when mining was still a key industry across the Central Belt.

Holyrood Park is the massive open space at the heart of Edinburgh with the impressive Arthur’s Seat in the middle of it. It belongs to the Queen as it goes with Holyrood Palace, her official residence in Scotland. As an aside, how many official residences does one woman need? It is open to the public and sometimes used for big events. There is a flat area of ground immediately behind the royal residence and a football pitch was marked out there for the occasion and roped off.

The match was somewhat one-sided. Possibly the English visitors had been enjoying the beer tent or maybe they were just overwhelmed by the commitment of the Scots, eager to repeat the dose that the full international team had handed out at Wembley a week earlier.

There was a 36-page programme for the whole Miners Gala event and the inside back page had the line-ups and match details for the football.

Sunday June 11th 1989
Bundesliga 2
1FC Saarbrucken v Fortuna Koln, 4-2, H.T. 2-1, Att 20,000
At Ludwigspark, Saarbrucken

A couple of nights ago I was watching the German Cup Semi Final on BT Sport, Saarbrucken versus Leverkusen. I had the sound turned down so that I didn’t have to listen to the drivelling inanity of the ill-informed commentators. Initially I thought I recognised the Ludwigspark as the venue but I quickly realised something wasn’t quite right. A quick google told me that the game was being played at the ground of Rochling Volkingen, where Saarbricken have been all season due to a reconstruction of their own ground.

It got me thinking about my own visit to the Saarland to see the locals play Fortuna Koln in 1989. It was a huge match, the penultimate game of the season. The promotion race was really tight - the top two went up automatically with 3rd place going into a play off against the third-bottom Bundesliga side.

1. Fortuna Dusseldorf 36-45 +25
2. FC Homburg 36-45 +20
3. Fortuna Koln 36-43 +24
4. 1FC Saarbrucken 36-42 +4
5. Blau Weiss 90 36-41 +10
6. Aachen 36-41 +8
7. Wattenscheid 09 36-40 +12

I had arranged a ticket in advance which was just as well – the game was a 20,000 sell out. The Ludwigspark was fairly typical of German stadia in those days – a running track in a large oval bowl with a grandstand on one side. Bog standard for its day but vaguely quaint where they survive nowadays! It reminded me of Duisburg or Karlsruhe. I recall having a gander at the other ground in Saarbrucken, the Kieselhulm, once used by Saar 05 Saarbrucken.

1. FC Saarbrücken
Wahlen - Geyer - Gothe - Jelev - Nushöhr - Schlegel - Steiner - Hach - Knoll - Szesni - Yeboah

Fortuna Köln
Agaciak - Außem - Hupe - Niggemann - Ritter - Engels - Gede - Lopes - Pförtner - Seufert – Woodcock

Two names stand out in those teams – Yeboah and Woodcock. Neither got on the scoresheet that day despite their being six goals. Woodcock was actually subbed at half time.

I was on the Kurve towards the west end of the ground. What a game and what an atmosphere! Saarbrucken took the lead in 26 minutes, but Koln got a quick equaliser. Saarbrucken went back in front before half time. A double by Hach in the second half had Saarbrucken 4-1 up before a goal by Hupe with ten minutes left gave Koln renewed hope. The home side held on to go above Fortuna. They stayed there on the final day but couldn’t catch Dusseldorf or Homburg. Saarbrucken lost the promotion play off to Eintracht Frankfurt.

No idea if there was a programme or not. I expect there would be but I never saw one.

Back to 2020 and I believe that Saarbrucken have a real problem following their promotion to the Third Division. Their own ground still hasn’t completed it’s rebuild, delayed by the lockdown. Rochling Volkingen doesn’t meet Bundesliga 3 standards, so they need to find another groundshare. Apparently the DFB don’t allow two teams in the same division to groundshare. That rules out Kaiserslautern. Trier have told them to bog off. None of the grounds in the Saarland itself meet the criteria. It now looks like Saarbrucken are heading for a ground-share at FSV Frankfurt for next season.

Holyrood Palace - the football was played on the pock-marked area at the top of the photo:

holyrood.jpg

Saarbrucken

ludwigspark.jpg

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
Saturday June 11th 1977
Friendly
Scottish Miners v English Miners, 7-0
At Holyrood Park (Edinburgh)

Thought this one was worth a mention due to the unusual venue in the Queen’s back garden. The annual Scottish Miners Gala was held in Edinburgh every June. In Scotland it’s a “gah-la”, not a “gay-la” as in Northern England. Around 15,000 miners and their families descended on the city for a day of funfair, sports, dancing competitions, colliery bands, political speeches and a football match.

It may have been billed as Scotland v England Miners but in reality it was a Scotland Junior Select against a Northern League Select. All the top Junior clubs had players in the team – Newtongrange, Cumnock, Glenrothes etc – at a time when mining was still a key industry across the Central Belt.

Holyrood Park is the massive open space at the heart of Edinburgh with the impressive Arthur’s Seat in the middle of it. It belongs to the Queen as it goes with Holyrood Palace, her official residence in Scotland. As an aside, how many official residences does one woman need? It is open to the public and sometimes used for big events. There is a flat area of ground immediately behind the royal residence and a football pitch was marked out there for the occasion and roped off.

The match was somewhat one-sided. Possibly the English visitors had been enjoying the beer tent or maybe they were just overwhelmed by the commitment of the Scots, eager to repeat the dose that the full international team had handed out at Wembley a week earlier.

There was a 36-page programme for the whole Miners Gala event and the inside back page had the line-ups and match details for the football.

Sunday June 11th 1989
Bundesliga 2
1FC Saarbrucken v Fortuna Koln, 4-2, H.T. 2-1, Att 20,000
At Ludwigspark, Saarbrucken

A couple of nights ago I was watching the German Cup Semi Final on BT Sport, Saarbrucken versus Leverkusen. I had the sound turned down so that I didn’t have to listen to the drivelling inanity of the ill-informed commentators. Initially I thought I recognised the Ludwigspark as the venue but I quickly realised something wasn’t quite right. A quick google told me that the game was being played at the ground of Rochling Volkingen, where Saarbricken have been all season due to a reconstruction of their own ground.

It got me thinking about my own visit to the Saarland to see the locals play Fortuna Koln in 1989. It was a huge match, the penultimate game of the season. The promotion race was really tight - the top two went up automatically with 3rd place going into a play off against the third-bottom Bundesliga side.

1. Fortuna Dusseldorf 36-45 +25
2. FC Homburg 36-45 +20
3. Fortuna Koln 36-43 +24
4. 1FC Saarbrucken 36-42 +4
5. Blau Weiss 90 36-41 +10
6. Aachen 36-41 +8
7. Wattenscheid 09 36-40 +12

I had arranged a ticket in advance which was just as well – the game was a 20,000 sell out. The Ludwigspark was fairly typical of German stadia in those days – a running track in a large oval bowl with a grandstand on one side. Bog standard for its day but vaguely quaint where they survive nowadays! It reminded me of Duisburg or Karlsruhe. I recall having a gander at the other ground in Saarbrucken, the Kieselhulm, once used by Saar 05 Saarbrucken.

1. FC Saarbrücken
Wahlen - Geyer - Gothe - Jelev - Nushöhr - Schlegel - Steiner - Hach - Knoll - Szesni - Yeboah

Fortuna Köln
Agaciak - Außem - Hupe - Niggemann - Ritter - Engels - Gede - Lopes - Pförtner - Seufert – Woodcock

Two names stand out in those teams – Yeboah and Woodcock. Neither got on the scoresheet that day despite their being six goals. Woodcock was actually subbed at half time.

I was on the Kurve towards the west end of the ground. What a game and what an atmosphere! Saarbrucken took the lead in 26 minutes, but Koln got a quick equaliser. Saarbrucken went back in front before half time. A double by Hach in the second half had Saarbrucken 4-1 up before a goal by Hupe with ten minutes left gave Koln renewed hope. The home side held on to go above Fortuna. They stayed there on the final day but couldn’t catch Dusseldorf or Homburg. Saarbrucken lost the promotion play off to Eintracht Frankfurt.

No idea if there was a programme or not. I expect there would be but I never saw one.

Back to 2020 and I believe that Saarbrucken have a real problem following their promotion to the Third Division. Their own ground still hasn’t completed it’s rebuild, delayed by the lockdown. Rochling Volkingen doesn’t meet Bundesliga 3 standards, so they need to find another groundshare. Apparently the DFB don’t allow two teams in the same division to groundshare. That rules out Kaiserslautern. Trier have told them to bog off. None of the grounds in the Saarland itself meet the criteria. It now looks like Saarbrucken are heading for a ground-share at FSV Frankfurt for next season.

Holyrood Palace - the football was played on the pock-marked area at the top of the photo:

View attachment 2353

Saarbrucken

View attachment 2354
I went to Saarbrucken in 1989 too( see my report on 19th May in front of a sparse crowd of 3,100)sure they played Eintracht Frankfurt in the play off in front of 35,000 so 20,000 wouldn’t have been a sellout would it?

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
I went to Saarbrucken in 1989 too( see my report on 19th May in front of a sparse crowd of 3,100)sure they played Eintracht Frankfurt in the play off in front of 35,000 so 20,000 wouldn’t have been a sellout would it?

It certainly seemed full apart from the away section.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Just the one for today

East Ayrshire cup semi-final

Muirkirk Juniors v Glenafton Ath. 1-2

Remember the midges were out in force for this one - the linesman made good use of his flag to try to keep them at bay.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1988 Spain 3 Denmark 2 Euro 88 crowd 55,707
Niedersachsen stadium, Hanover, Germany

I had tickets for all 3 England games from the FA so I thought I may as well make a week of it by taking in some other games along the way. Germany and Italy had opened the tournament in Düsseldorf on the Friday night with a draw but I had been there so my first target was Hanover where Spain and Denmark were meeting. I can’t remember exactly how I got there but I imagine I would have got the last train out of London Victoria about 11.30pm which on a Friday night would no doubt have been alcohol fuelled, got to Dover and jumped on the connecting bus to the ferry terminal to get the 2am service to Ostend which took about 4 hours so would have arrived at about 7 in the morning with the hours difference. After that it would have been a train to Cologne then another to Hanover, on which I remember seeing some Spanish fans, which in those days was a rare occurrence as they didn’t travel in numbers.
I found the ground fairly easily but still had to source a ticket from somewhere. There was a good atmosphere outside the stadium but you could hardly hear yourself think with all the blaring klaxons from the majority of the crowd who were Danish but eventually I managed to get a decent seat for face value from someone. The game was faster and more open than I expected given the warm summer setting, Michel gave Spain the lead after 5 minutes and Michael Laudrup equalised for the Danes on 24 and it was 1-1 at half time. In the second half the Spanish got 2 more goals from Butragueno and Gordillo to put them 3-1 up and although Denmark scored with 8 minutes left it ended 3-2 to Spain. After the game I took a train south in the direction of Stuttgart where England were playing on the Sunday, and found a cheap place to stay in Wurzburg.FC436D49-E28B-454D-B76A-D7F9466EBDD0.jpeg

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Monday 11th June 2012

France 1 England 1 (47,400)

Flew in on a Sportops daytrip to Sergei Prokofiev Airport, which two years later was destroyed in the Donbass War. There were certainly a lot of Russian supporters in evidence in the Arena and very few Ukranians. England took the lead through Joleon Lescott, his only international goal, before France deservedly equalised in this Euro 2012 group D match.Euramax-Donbass-Arena-1-1024x683.jpg

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
2009 World Cup 20/20 Trent Bridge, Nottingham
New Zealand 198/5(20 overs) Ireland 115 all out(16.4 overs)
England 111 all out(19.5 overs) South Africa 114/3(18.2 overs)

Also just dug out the ticket for this double header at Trent Bridge, don’t recall a lot about the day but both games were pretty one sided, Ireland were swatted aside by a decent New Zealand side and England only getting an abject 111 which was never going to be enough against South Africa with Jacques Kallis getting 57.1F095A18-8F54-42A9-932A-7940322DB67E.jpeg

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 11th June 2005
Rugby League Conference Welsh Premier Division
Cardiff Demons v Swansea Valley Miners at Taffs Well Rugby Union
Score 37 42 half time 25 10 Admission £3 including programme
Attendance around 80
With the speedway starting at 1900 plenty of time to get this match in.
A bit of a surprise result here as in an entertaining match Swansea Valley
Miners gained their first win of the season. However it looked very
different at half time as Cardiff were totally in charge and it looked
like they would go on to score 50 points or more. Swansea
Valley though ran up 22 unanswered points after the break to lead
32 25 and they were never behind again.
A reasonable set up here with a two tier club house and the pitch
being railed on two sides.

Saturday 11th June 2005
Speedway
British Grand Prix at Millennium Stadium
Admission £27 Programme £7
A meeting chiefly remembered for Tony Rickardsson's sweep round
the outside scraping the air fence in his grand final win
Rickardsson would go on to become world champion for the 6th time
at the end of the season. It was not a happy evening for Jason
Crump who was excluded 3 times during the meeting.
Once again a great atmosphere here.

Sunday 11th June 2006
Cricket 40 over friendly at Parkfield Low View Hoddesdon
Mike Wellow Fundation XI v Afghanistan National Team
Programme Issued
Scores Afghanistan 347 for 6 Mike Wellow XI 291 for 9
Not sure how i found out about this fixture presumably read about
it a national newspaper. Some very big hitting by the Afghan players
led them to a massive score. A brave effort by the Mike Wellow xi
who at one time were up with the asking rate but they lacked a big
hitting player. Believe Afghanistan played a number of county second
elevens during 2006 winning 6 out of 7 matches.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
European Championship Qualifying Group 7
England 2-1 Slovakia
Att: 33,106

After a dull U21 match the previous night, this was a much better game. Slovakia took a deserved lead on 31 minutes when a long range free kick from Janocko deceived David James. Stand-in captain Michael Owen, became the youngest England player to reach 50 caps. Owen won a penalty which he converted himself, on 62 minutes, Lampard had a goal disallowed, then Owen scored the winner when he headed in Gerrard's cross on 73 minutes.

England: James (West Ham United); Mills (Leeds United), Upson (Birmingham City), Southgate (Middlesbrough), A.Cole (Arsenal); Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Scholes, P.Neville (both Manchester United); Rooney (Everton), Owen (Liverpool)
Subs: Hargreaves (Bayern Munich, for Mills), Vassell (Aston Villa, for Rooney), Bridge (Southampton), Robinson (Leeds United), Terry (Chelsea), J.Cole (West Ham United), Heskey (Liverpool)

Kingstone Press League 1
Newcastle Thunder 36-12 Keighley Cougars
Att: 786

The game marked skipper James 'Buster' Feather's 300th appearance for Cougars, but there were few highlights from a Keighley perspective on a warm, but windy day on Tyneside. A hat-trick of tries for Thunder's Lewis Young.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
No one want to mention football then? I'll be back later

Until 11 June 1988, my country list was three, England, Scotland and Wales.

Five games for me on the date.

1986 - The opening one was the second Stewart Memorial Cup semi-final, postponed due to the weather on the Tuesday. This took me to Fochabers, who were defeated 4-2 (after extra time) by Cabarfeid. I don't know how the final went.

1988 - This was my first time where I needed a passport to get to the game, the French Cup final as already linked by video above. Sochaux scored first through Stephane Paille, while Scotsman eric Black equalised on the stroke of half time. The second half, and extra time passed without further goals, and the first nine shots of the penalty shoot-out were all scored. The tenth was saved by Metz' keeper Michel Ettore to give Metz the cup, 5-4 on penalties, after a 1-1 draw.

2002 - The World Cup continues, and we were in Suwon. This is a unusual city not far from Seoul, which had decided that its variety of public toilets should be a tourist attraction. I may have used one, even two, and they did go to great lengths over this, but no, honestly, surely whoever thought this up should be hanging his head in shame. [On the other hand, it is what I remember about the city, 18 years later]

The game is Uruguay v Senegal in the final group match for group A. Simultaneously, and not very far away, France were playing against Denmark. The points totals at the start of play were Denmark and Senegal 4, France and Uruguay 1. This meant that for both Denmark and Senegal, a point would send them through, but also presented multiple possibilities if France and/or Uruguay won. Goal difference was the deciding factor when on level points. From the start, the game was Senegal's and they took the lead from the penalty spot, Fadiga scoring after 20 minutes. Papa Bouba Diop then added two and they were 3-0 up at the break. Uruguay began the fightback immediately after the break with Morales' goal coming seconds into the half, (my records say 10). Then, in a move that must have shocked Manchester United fans, Diego Forlan also got onto the scoresheet. Of course, news would have reached Suwon that France were 2-0 down to Denmark. Uruguay equalised with a penalty (Recoba) about two minutes from time. Both Senegal and Denmark heading to Japan for the knock out games, with the group winners to play England, (the teams would not have advanced notice of this, as the final games in England's group were the following day).
suwon -senegal-uruguay(3).jpg

2005 - Altijd Sterker Worden Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht 3-2 Argon. The home team more generally known as ASWH, Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht being the placename, while the other three words translate as Always become stronger. This is the second leg of the Netherlands Amateur Championship with the Saturday Champions at home, the clubs had drawn 2-2 in Mijdrecht a week earlier. I am sure that there was a car load, as I would not have made a one match trip alone. A 5 p.m. kick off according to my notes, so it would have been very late when we got back to Calais. It was €6 to enter and the notes say that €1 was paid for the programme. Around 3000 in the ground. ASWH scored mid-way through the first half, with Argon equalising before the break. Argon then went ahead five minutes into the second half, with the second equaliser coming just five minutes later. In the final minute, Argon were awarded a penalty, and Willem-Jan Barendrecht saved the effort to send the tie into extra time.

Extra time was not good for Argon. They conceded a penalty six minutes in, and had the player conceding the penalty sent off. The penalty was scored, meaning they were 3-2 down and trying to recover with 10 men. In the very last minutes, they conceded another penalty, and had another player sent off. ASWH used a different penalty taker, and this became the second penalty saved in the game, but the one scored was decisive and ASWH won the title

2006 - The final match of the list is the choice for tweet of the day. During the 2006 World Cup, some amateur leagues in Germany, mainly in the East were still playing. Having arrived for the game in Dortmund on yesterday's list, and not meeting my friends until the next day in Gelsenkirchen, I had a free day, and a German rail pass. My choice was Bentwisch against Rostocker 1895. I cannot see why I chose this one, there was nothing on it, as Schoenburg had already won the title, (but I had been there three years earlier). Bentwisch does have a good train service, so that alone may have decided the matter. It was free admission and programme to a fairly open ground, but the match did not live up to much, my second scoreless draw in two days

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock