July 9th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1877, the first Wimbledon Championships started.
There was only one title, (Men's Singles), and it was won by a Brit - Spencer Gore.

Whether or not you went further than SW19, and especially if you saw football rather than tennis - let's hear about it

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Sunday @ 14-00.
Estonia top tier.
JK Trans Narva 6 v 3 Parnu JK Vaprus.

@ Kreenholmi Stadium.

Att - 30.

JK Trans Narva - Martin Kaalma , Dmitri Selehhov , Alex Kulik , Stanislav Kitto , Alex Kulatsenko (3) , Sergei Kazakov , Alex Dubokin , Alex Tarassenkov , Sergei Popov , Dmitri Lipartov , Maksim Gruznov (2).
Subs - Oleg Gorjatsov for Kazakov , Irfan Ametov (1) for Gruznov , Vladislav Ivanov for Lipartov.
Manager - Valeri Bondarenko.

Parnu JK Vaprus - Stanislav Prins , Aleksei Galkin , Rando Rand , Gert Olesk , Jesper Veber , Aleksei Avdejenkov (1) , Imdrek Joost , Jevgeni Novikov , Ranet Lewpik , Mihhail Kazak (2) , Maksim Pedok.
Subs - Kristo Kasemets for Galkin.
Manager - Kalev Pajula .

Referee - Hannes Kaasik.

In the middle of a 13 day trip mainly in Latvia and this was a long trip to Narva on the Estonian/Russian border , just a stroll over the bridge away is Russia.

Trans were 2nd in the league table going into this mid point game of the season lying 11 points behind Levadia.
It caught the imagination of the local people and I counted 26 supporters there , Official was given as 30.
It was a cracking game with Parnu taking the lead twice before Trans took command in the second half scoring 5 more.
The final league table 18 games later had them the same 11 point gap behind Levadia with Parnu in mid table.

13 x games (8+10 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's. 2 x doubles , Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock13 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1976 Rochester Lancers 1 v 0 Portland Timbers.
1977 L A Skyhawks 1 v 2 Sacramento Spirit.(Yes I did see Spirit yesterday)

First Wimbledon Champion (Englishman Spencer Gore)---Death of King Camp Gillette-- 1932-----
See the source image
--
Businessman and Inventor King C. Gillette

--

Last edited:

hantslondoner

Youth Team Sub
Two pre-season friendlies, both covered on old WDYGs:

2013 - 1900 KO AFC Stoneham 3 Fareham T. 4 - attendance est 25
Stoneham were in the HPFL but gave Wessex League Fareham a good game. They took an early lead but Fareham equalised before the break and they had the better of the second half, although the home team came back twice to make it close. This was played on the back pitch of the old Pirelli ground.

2016 - 1500 KO Hamble Club 0 Thatcham T. 4 - attendance est 35
The visitors looked more into their pre-season, and were in control here against the Wessex 1 new boys, especially in the second half. It was a surprise that it took 39 mins for them to open the scoring. Melledew got a brace, and Cooper-Clark also scored after an impressive performance. Quite feisty for a PSF, as one would expect at Hamble at this time. Again the match was played next door to the usual ground in the Police College.
Hamble won Wessex 1 at a canter and Thatcham finished fourth in the Hellenic Prem that season.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
No tennis, nor rugby league. So running it is then with a mere two entries.

1995 Stowmarket Half Marathon 1-24-58 9th

2016 Mulbarton parkrun (169) 24-27 32nd

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Super League.
Harlequins RL 6 Wigan Warriors 38.
Adm. £15.
Prog. £2.50.
Att. 4,423.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Going back 9 years for an Anglo-Scottish Friendly encounter, as reported at the time . . .

July 9th 2011

Pre Season Friendly
Edinburgh City v Bishop Auckland, 3-5, H.T.3-4, Match abandoned after 87 minutes, Att c.60, Admission £2, Programme £2
at Meggetland 4G

City's home pre-season games are being played at Meggetland because Meadowbank is unavailable at present. The complex at Meggetland has three adjoining grounds -the biggest, best and most easterly in the Boroughmuir Rugby Club Stadium, with a large grandstand down one side. The back of the grandstand is also stepped seated and overlooks the water-based hockey pitch which. Further away is the 4G football pitch on which this game was played. Given the atrocious weather most spectators sat in the stand and viewed the match from a distance of 80 yards, rather than getting drenched on the pitch surrounds.

Bishop Auckland raced into a 2-0 lead, then lost a goal, but made it 3-1 - all within the first twelve minutes. By half time it was 4-3 to the visitors in a fast-flowing and highly competitive match. The standard was as good in the second half but the goals just didn't come - a penalty for the visitors being the only addition to the score.

As an aside, the ground is overlooked from a nearby hill by the tower of Craig House, now part of Napier University and formerly a psychiatric hospital and World War One convalescence hospital. It was there that Wilfred Owen met Siegfried Sassoon and wrote his famous poems Dulce et Decorum est and Anthem for Doomed Youth.

The referee showed good common sense on several occasions. Following a dreadful and dangerous lunging tackle by a visiting player he ordered him to be substituted rather than showing a red card. He also stopped the game several minutes early as the thunderstorms that had been drifting around all afternoon seemed to stop directly above the pitch.

Match programme was a 4-in-1 issue also covering games against East Fife, St Ants and the Shire. Handbook-type edition with full details of last season and well worth the £2 asking price.

For groundhoppers this match posed a number of interesting questions:

1) If you watch a game at Stadium A from the grandstand in Stadium B, which ground or grounds do you 'tick'?
2) If the ref blows for full time 4 minutes early due to the weather, do you put it down as an abandoned game or just that the ref cannot tell the time very well?

Thankfully I don't really count grounds, don't really count games, don't obsess over the crowd etc, so these conundrums are pointless to me . . . I just enjoy a decent game of football, and this most certainly was just that.

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Claeddnewydd v Llangynhafl 2-2
2007 North Wales Times Shield First Round Henllan v Caerwys Drew 1-1
2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Rhewl Won 4-1
2011 Myles N Kenyon Cup Group C Bury Grammar School Old Boys v Hargreaves (T263) 2-0
2012 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Semi Final Clawddnewydd v Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd (T311) 2-1
There were a couple of seasons where neutral venues were dropped for semi-finals, this being one such.
2013 Tony Evans Memorial Sheild Semi-final (@ Caerwys) Cefn v Llandyrnog 1-3
2015 Tony Evans Memorial Shield First Round Henllan v Trefnant Won 5-1
2016 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three Castleford Panthers v Crosfields (T375) 0-56
A railed pitch. They did not issue but I got an old one. Panthers dropped out at the end of the season having struggled all year.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Again no football on this date.

Cricket
Friday 9th July 2010
t20 South Group
Glamorgan v Surrey at Sophia Gardens
Scores Glamorgan 164 for 8 Surrey 154 for 8
Admission £15 Programme and scorecard £3
Was in Wales for the weekend the Speedway Grand Prix
being the following day, with the weather being good decided on
a revisit here for this t20 match. A decent match too Glamorgan
owed much to Mark Cosgrove as he scored 76 of their total.
In reply Stuart Walters scored 53 not out in Surrey's total
but they scored only 7 runs off the last over when 18 were needed
to win. Defeat for Surrey meant elimination from the competition
whilst Glamorgan still had a faint chance of progression.
I think Sophia Gardens is a good viewing ground to watch
cricket on and the improvements in recent years have been
quite impressive.

Rugby League
Saturday 9th July 2011
Conference League National
Coventry Bears v Dewsbury Celtic at the Butts Arena Coventry
Score Coventry 38 Dewsbury 16 half time 12-10
Admission £5 Programme £1 Attendance around 175
An enjoyable match with a very tight first half before Coventry were
well on top in the second half.

Speedway
Saturday 9th July 2005
Czech Grand Prix at the Marketa Stadium Prague start 1900
1st Tony Rickardsson 2nd Bjarne Pederson 3rd Jaroslaw Hampel
Admission tickets bought on internet just over £25 including programme
Flew out from Manston with Eu Jet on the Friday in the company of
Kent43 and our respective wives for a long weekend in Prague.
British rider Scott Nicholls rode well in the meeting and scored
14 points including a pass over Rickardsson but he failed to qualify for the
final. In the final Rickardsson sped away from Pedersson to win his
4th consecutive Grand Prix and build up an almost unassailable lead in
in his quest for a 6th world title. The meeting finished in a few spots
of rain and by the time we were on a tram back to the city centre the
rain was pouring down, had the meeting started later it would have
been abandoned. An enjoyable speedway meeting and a good weekend
overall.

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
1992 Botafogo 1 Corintians 0 crowd 25,000
Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Following the previous night’s game at the same stadium which saw Flamengo reach the final, the second group of four was decided the next evening in the same stadium and once again I took advantage of the minibus from my hotel. Whilst waiting for said vehicle to arrive in the lobby of the hotel, an extremely attractive Danish girl started talking to me and asking if I was going to the game too, just as I was wondering whether it was a dream her boyfriend turned up, funny how you remember little details like that from many years ago 😀.
Two games in the group were being played at the same time, the other game being Bragantino v Cruzeiro, and of the four teams in the group only Cruzeiro couldn’t qualify for the final so it was all to play for. I can’t say I recall a lot about the game except that the crowd was smaller as the teams involved weren’t so well supported, not sure whether Corintians had any fans there but it was a long bus ride from Sao Paolo if they did. An early goal from Rene gave Botafogo the lead and the points they needed to reach the final and they managed to hang on to their lead and achieve their objective so obviously their fans who made up the bulk of the crowd were ecstatic. The first leg of the final was on the following Saturday so as I was still going to be in Rio then I felt I ought to go even though three games in five days at the Maracana was a tough call.3B20540A-B451-4178-986F-561B5AEE093C.jpegAA188909-CF8D-4B5D-9EBE-C5B833E07F44.jpeg

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Women's World Cup Finals - Quarter-final
England 1-1 (aet) France (3-4 pens)
At BayArena, Leverkusen
Attendance: 26,395 (Wiki)

So close for England who scored through Jill Scott on 59 minutes but conceded the equaliser on 88 minutes. They scored their first three penalties but missed the next two and so France went through to meet the USA in the semis.

We spent a two week holiday near Solingen and enjoyed the beers of Koln and Dusseldorf as well as the industrial history of the Ruhrgebiet. I bought tickets for various games without knowing the teams involved and got lucky with this England game. We also saw a poor group game between North Korea and Colombia in Bochum and the aforementioned and vastly better semi-final in Monchengladbach - where the better football of the French was muscled out of the way by the physically stronger Americans.

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Pre-season Friendly
Cogenhoe United 4-1 Irchester United
Att: 45 (H/C)

Aside from the town of Northampton itself, Northants is a county I don't really know well at all. I learned that Cogenhoe is pronounced Cook-no, and is in a very pleasant rural setting. A pre-match pint was had at the Three Horseshoes in Ecton, though it doesn't open til 7pm on a Tuesday, so we had to make do with just the one.

The club officials were confident that they would be prepared for the forthcoming hop game, but they weren't expecting any hoppers at this game. Neither of us were able to attend the hop game, hence our visit for this game instead. Food was only being prepared for players and officials, but none for spectators, though they did prepare some ready for half time after we asked.

Irchester started far more brightly than their hosts. It took Cogenhoe 20-25 minutes to get into their rhythm, but from then on they looked the better side. 1-0 up at half time, Cogenhoe added a second in the first minute of the second half and, after that, there was only going to be one winner.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Interesting to see the photo of the Maracana with the very deep and spacious standing area in front of the seats, which is not easily discernible on TV but it does give you a good idea of how they managed to cram in 200,000 for the 1950 WC final.

1989 (Sunday) – Rovaniemi PS 1 FC Kuuysi 1 (Finland, top division, attendance 2,942) No programme but narrow Dutch-style season guide, similar to the one at Pallo-Karpat the previous day but thicker. I only found a discarded copy after the game, which suggested that they had all been distributed earlier in the season. I travelled on the overnight train from Helsinki and this was at the time, the furthest north I had seen any match and the ground was a bit disappointing for the top flight with only a relatively small wooden stand providing any cover. A look at recent satellite photos though, appears to show that a large new main stand has since been built as a replacement.

1990 (Monday) – UBK Kopavogur 0 Fylkir 0 (Iceland, top division) A5 programme issued. This was my first ever match in Iceland, having flown out from Heathrow the day before (while the World Cup Final was on TV!) and this match was played in the town of Kopavogur, which is just outside Reykjavik but close enough to be easily walkable. The ground has an elevated, but uncovered, concrete stand on one side. Looking at the current aerial photo, this stand is still there but a new, much larger one (which may be part of an indoor sports centre) has been built on the other side. The programme consisted of a glossy shell with a four-page insert. I also found, lying on the ground, a programme from a recent home game of IK, who shared the same ground. This suggested that programmes were commonplace in Iceland but disappointedly, there were no programmes for the remaining twelve matches I attended on the trip, just a few club magazines covering the whole of the 1990 season. It is possible that both the UBK and IK programmes were produced by the same person.

2011 (Saturday) – Buxton 1 Macclesfield Town 3 (pre-season friendly) A5 programme issued. This was a revisit, mainly because I had not bothered to take photos on my previous visit in 1993. On that occasion I had ticked the Stockport-Buxton railway line but this time I saved money by travelling to Derby and catching the bus from there. Ground largely unchanged since 1993. Anyone know what the official attendance was?

2016 (Saturday) – Boston United 1 Peterborough United 1 (pre-season friendly, attendance 920) Glossy B5 programme issued. This was a revisit to York Street, again it was mainly because I had not taken photographs on my previous visit in 1987. Also, this was the first time I had a chance to look at the main stand (in 1987, I did not move much beyond the covered terrace opposite) and I was surprised by how threadbare the facilities underneath it were. It does however offer an excellent view because it is elevated and steeply raked. From looking at the photos I’ve seen recently of the new stadium that is currently being built, it is disappointing to see that the main stand will not be an elevated structure. It looks as though it may be similar to the main stand at Yeovil. As with Buxton in 2011, I made use of my Freedom Pass by travelling by train to Peterborough, although this entails a change of buses at Spalding.

2017 (Sunday) – Derry City 4 Sligo Rovers 0 (Eire, top division) A5 programme issued, priced at three euros or two pounds. As some of you will be aware, this was played at Maginn Park in Buncrana, which Derry City used for the whole of 2017 while the Brandywell was being rebuilt. Having spent Saturday night at a B & B in Londonderry (having travelled there by bus after the Linfield game the day before) I took a taxi up to about three miles from Buncrana, then walked the rest of the way. After the match, I travelled back to Derry by bus. The ground is probably very good for the level of football it normally stages, but the stand was packed to capacity and, given that it was raining, I was fortunate to nab the only seat not reserved for season ticket holders, albeit with a slightly restricted view. Searching for the attendance on the internet has produced a figure of 600, although it may well have been closer to four figures. Around 200 of those would have been sitting in the stand.

Last edited:

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
2005 Friendly: AFC Telford United 0 West Bromwich Albion XI 6 (att 2,038)
The sort of friendly that appeals to me. Not a tick but Telford's ground had changed so much since my 1990 visit that it felt like going to a new ground. Not only that, but technically AFC Telford United are a different club to Telford United FC, so I guess it could have been bracketed tick (if I bothered with such things).

2008 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 1: Preston City 7 Elswick 3 (4)
Played on a grass pitch at Tulketh High School, which at the time was just closing its doors for good.

3130.jpg

2011 Sutherland AFA, Pattison Cup, 1st rnd: Helmsdale United 1 Dornoch City 3 (23)
A Saturday afternoon game on our Highland touring holiday. Helmsdale play at Couper Park, the same pitch that Bunillidh Thistle use in the North Caledonian League, although at the time of my visit Thistle were in abeyance.

3612.jpg

2012 Shetland FA, Fraser Cup, semi-final: Whalsey 3 Scalloway 0 (80)
Combining island hopping with groundhopping, Whalsay is a ferry ride from mainland Shetland, but the ferries are affordable, frequent, and run very much as a service rather to make money. Whalsay play at Harbison Park in Symbister. It's a 3G, but a 3G with a view.

3772.jpg

2013 Stan Brewster Memorial Tournament, Gp B: Codnor Miners 1 Hurst Farm United 1 (27) at Charles Hill PF, Loscoe
Another match in the pre-season semi competitive Stan Brewster tournament, which seems to have been discontinued in recent years. There were two matches to choose from at the Charles Hill Playing Fields, but the pitches were a fair distance apart.

3917.jpg

2015 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 2: BES Utilities 4 Fulwood Park Rangers 1 (5)
Played at the YMCA Sports Centre in Lytham, on the pitch to the right as you enter (which was handy, as I'd already seen a game on the pitch to the left).

4247.jpg

2016 11am Friendly: Ilkley Town 2 Knaresbrough Town 3 (18) at University Academy, Keighley
2016 3pm Friendly: Maltby Main 2 Wickersley 1 (32) at Sheffield Hallam University 3G pitch

Two friendlies on unusual neutral grounds, but little to enthuse over other than the chance of a double. The morning game was played over three 30-minute periods, possibly the only time I've had that.

4424.jpg

4425.jpg

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1993 ( Friday) - Final day of Inter Island Games Football Tournament.
2 pm. 3/4th place play off at Cowes Sports. Aland v Greenland 2-1.
Evening. Final at St Georges Park, Newport. Isle of Man v Jersey 1-5.
2005- P S F. Rocester v Stafford Rangers 1-5.
2011- Newlands Village Trophy Group A on pitch 2 at Peel Park, Bradford. Idle United v Ventus United 2-4.
2016- Rugby League. N C L Div.2. Salford City Roosters v Dewsbury Celtic 10-10.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Star
Pre Season Friendly

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Walton Casuals 5 Fleet Town 2

Free entry. No programme. Attendance - h/c 60

A warm and cloudy evening bought me to the XCel Sports Centre for this enjoyable PSF. WC were 2 up on 12 and a rout seemed possible but didn't materialise as Fleet suddenly remembered they were playing a football match. WC added a third on 50 but FT then scored on 68 and 78 and suddenly an unlikely draw seemed possible. WC however scored on 86 and 90 to secure the win.

Neither side covered themselves with glory in the 19/20 season and will be hoping for better when we start again.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
2019 (Tuesday)

F91 Dudelange 2 Valletta 2
UEFA Champions League 1st Qualifying Round 1st Leg
@ Stade Josy Barthel, Luxembourg City K.O. 20:00
Adm €20; Att: 1,152

Arrived in Luxembourg the previous evening with Flybe. We had booked accommodation at the Brasserie Beierhaascht in Bascharage primarily becuase it had its' own brewery. The rooms were good but the beer was average and the drinking area basically just the hotel restuarant - we only drank there the first night, Much better was the Brasserie Nationale brewery tap about 1 mile away where they served unfiltered Bofferding beer - apparently the only bar which does - and this was our post-match base for the rest of the trip.

Conveniently there was a regular bus service from opposite the hotel which stopped directly outside the venue for tonights match. Dudelange's own ground does not meet UEFA standards and so their European games are held at the national stadium.
Josy 2.JPG
F91.jpeg
After a temporary problem when the Block shown on our tickets did not appear to exist, and none of the stewards seemed to have a clue, we were able to access the main stand to watch an entertaining game on a very hot evening. Dudelange were two up at half time but Valletta fought back, to the delight of their small band of enthusiatic supporters, and looked the most likely to win as the game drew to a close.

Valletta went through after the second leg but Dudelange had the most succesful campaign - after transferring to the Europa League they reached the Group Stage where they were not disgraced and even managed the first ever win by a Luxembourgish club in a group game.

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
All I've got is...

Tuesday 9th July 2013~
Pre-season friendly
Old Woodstock Town 1-5 Grendon Rangers

...on a sunny evening at OWTFC's New Road ground, in the pleasant company of TheWavendonian and JimmyJazz.

The vulture

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Groundhog
Friendly @ East Shore Park :
Newburgh 5 Burrelton Rovers 1.
Entry by donation £5 Att 40 (h/c).

A cracking venue right on the banks of the Tay, cover on 2 sides and even some seating.

The day started drizzly as we left our digs but I assured the wife that it would improve before we got to Perth......unfortunately it just got heavier and by the time we reached Elcho Castle it was pretty torrential. I like castles and I liked this one although it was very small and only warranted an hour or so for a visit.

So it was onto Perth and yet more rain. Now I'd always imagined Perth to be an attractive city.....no idea why I'd think that but it wasn't, in fact in the rain it was quite bleak. After a couple of hours of avoiding rain an enjoyable fish supper was had and joy of joy when we ventured back out the rain had stopped.

Onto Newburgh where it was dry, actually very pleasant with the pitch in fine fettle.

The game was quite one-sided with the East Juniors dominant against their Perthshire Amateur League visitors. The HT score was 2-1 but really should have been a lot more, some good blocks keeping it respectable. Further goals on 60, 64 and 72 made a rout look possible but thankfully it didn't materialise and the visitors themselves were denied a late consolation by a post.

After a poor start, a fine day with a new castle tick and another at a fine Juniors venue where everyone was particularly friendly.

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 9th July 2016

Clipstone 2 Mansfield Town XI 2 (364)

A pleasant Saturday having a beer with mates whilst supporting a local non-league club.
I remember as a child being taken to Clipstone Lido, they had quite a few different pools.
1594322187679.png

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Dulwich Hamlet 0 Colchester United 2
PSF Admission: £10 Attendance: 544

Nice to tick off the Hamlet ground; I've never seen so many people drinking at a game! :) Thoroughly entertained; the League side were well worth their victory. Tube to Elephant & Castle and then bus; all very easy.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks