Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
1900 - The first Zeppelin flight takes place

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Mostly Dyrny Summer League

1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llandyrnog v Henllan Lost 3-0

2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Rhewl v Nantglyn 1-1

2007 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Llanrhaeadr v Ysceifiog 0-0 (aet)

Only the second occasion I have had a goalless draw in a summer league or shield fixtures since the summer of 1995, which was the year for my previous one

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Rhewl 2-1

2012 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Preliminary Round Llandyrnog v Rhewl (T309) 6-5

2015 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanrhaeadr v Henllan Won 3-5

2016 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division One Millom v Shirlaugh 28-42

A railed pitch just around the corner from the football club but within the same complex, which I had visited some years previously with Andy D. Some good memorabilia in the club including some from an ex Warrington player who started with Millom (Mark Roskell rings a bell but don't quote me!). There was a decent programme.
The pitches, both rugby and football were unchanged since we were last here. It is not a town you pass through on the way to anywhere, but was well worth the trip

2018 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Preliminary Round Clawddnewydd v Henllan Won 2-3

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Tuesday @ 20-45.
Malaysia top flight.
Johor FC 2 V 0 Melaka.

@ Pasir Gudang Stadium.

Well as promised back to Johor Bahru , this time not to the Plaza Sentosa and lots of young women asking me 'You want business Uncle' ?

This time Spanner and I were on business , football business , we caught the train over the Singapore Causeway bridge again to JB Central station , then as we knew the game was being played nearly 15 miles away in Pasir Gudang we made our way to the bus station to check the bus service.
First taxi of the day the 5 miles North from Railway Station to the main bus station , what a kick in the teeth , the Larkin Stadium floodlights on show about a quarter of a mile away , shame Johor FC weren't playing at their normal venue but refurbishing was taking place.
Timetable to PG was good and bad , good that we could get there but, bad that there was no service back at 23-00'ish after game.
So after a conflab with Span I suggested the best plan would be a taxi out there with the same cabbie picking us up after game and dropping us off Singapore side of the Causeway Bridge. He agreed , just now the interesting bit , talking a cabbie into the idea , I love this side of travel , the bartering.

Found a cabbie who was a Johor FC fan and he was more than happy at said plan and he would watch game as well. So we agreed a time to be picked up at a bar/café nearby , part of deal was we would buy his match ticket and buy him something to eat at game. Agreed to leave at 19-30 , he was a bit early and we arrived at a remote Stadium in PG , the car was waved into the main stadium , I think they thought we were match officials. Once inside we found the stadium café and bought our man his dinner , 2 x chocolate bars and a cold drink. So free entry and a cheap meal , at least Spanner was happy.

The game between 2 mid table teams was awful , Johor opening the scoring in the 15th minute , well actually it was an own goal by Melaka defender Rosli Omar , more of him / that goal later.
The rest of the game was dire and it was not until the last minute when Jon Angelucci wrapped it up for Johor.

Our new cabbie mate had been standing with a few Johor fans and seemed to enjoy it , the stadium was a dump , looking at some photos now it looks as if they've spent a few ringgit on it , brand spanking seating on one side.

Going back to that opening own goal , I never at the time thought anything about it but a few years later Mr Omar was banned for life when for match fixing 🤔 . He was assistant manager of Kuala Lumpur FC at the time , they had dropped down the leagues and were playing in the third level when it happened in 2013.
Quite a few years after the game we watched but what a conspiracy theory ?
https://www.todayonline.com/sports/football/kuala-lumpur-fa-found-guilty-match-fixing

Life bans handed out in Malaysia match-fixing case | Malay Mail
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 21 ― Five players and three team officials from a Malaysian lower league football club have been handed life bans after being found guilty of match-fixing, local media reported. The eight who represented Kuala Lumpur were also fined RM20,000 by the Football Association of...
www.malaymail.com
www.malaymail.com

So our cabbie took us to the Singapore side of the Causeway where he had to drop us off and we got the 4th cab of the day to our hotel, 4 cabs in one day , Span was not a happy bunny but hey ho it's only money . There was no shortage of Singapore taxis to take us the last part of the journey to the hotel.
It was straight to bed after sorting bags out , 1 x small travelling bag and a main bag to be left at hotel as we'd be back in a couple of days.

Early breakfast time flight to Jakarta and a couple of games there , more on that tomorrow , perhaps , or day after ?

Spanner left hotel early on public transport to airport , no doubt having a cup of tea , filling his flask and acquiring a breakfast rolls doggy bag at hotel breakfast point.
I had another hour in bed , had a quick breakfast and caught a cab , airport wasn't too far so fare was not expensive , but 4 cabs the day before , I think he'd been having nightmares during the night.
I was 2 behind him in the Check In queue :cool: but I'd spent £5 more than him to get there.

10 x games (6+ 4 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's, 1 x double Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock(9 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1978 Detroit Express 5 v 0 Colorado Caribous.
1979 London City 2 v 0 Bradford Marshlanders.
2006 Hibs 5 v 0 Dinaburg.
2017 Philadelphia Union 3 v 0 New England Revolution.

-- 1900 -----Zeppelin LZ1 first flight -------------------1937 , Amelia Earhart goes missing -----
First Zeppelin ascent.jpg--Amelia Earhart standing under nose of her Lockheed Model 10-E Electra, small.jpg

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
July 2nd 2009
UEFA Europa League 1st Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Motherwell v Llanelli, 0-1, H.T. 0-1, Att 4307, Admission £15, Programme £2.50
At Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie

Motherwell: Fraser, Saunders, Craigan, Reynolds, Hammell, O’Brien (McHugh 74), Lasley (Slane 46), Forbes, McGarry, Sutton, Murphy.
Subs: Kosiorowski, Darren Smith, Fitzpatrick, Hutchinson, Page.

Llanelli: Ashley Morris, Legg (Warlow 51), Howard, Stuart Jones, Jarman (Thomas 16), Phillips, Mumford, Corbisiero, Venables, Griffiths, Craig Jones (Follows 65).
Subs: Craig Morris, Jenkins, Moses, John.

My WDYG report from the time:

The match was played at Airdrie as much-needed remedial work on Motherwell’s pitch is underway. There was a decent turnout of Motherwell fans, all things considered, with tickets on sale on the night. Llanelli mustered around 25 which is pretty poor.

Most Motherwell fans were confident before the match but their optimism was unfounded. They really should have known better. They’ve lost their Manager and all their best players during the Summer – although Jim Gannon has been appointed Manager this week, no players have been signed. With the Setanta collapse leaving a massive hole in the club finances, tonight’s XI of journeymen and youth team players is about as good as it will get.

Llanelli were content to let Motherwell have the bulk of possession. They knew that their superior strength and experience would make it difficult for the Scottish team to break them down. And that’s how it proved – Motherwell had the bulk of possession but mad every few clear chances. Llanelli had very few chances but converted one of them, in the 28th minute. They were seldom in any real danger of losing a goal after that. I enjoyed the match – good craic from some of the ‘home’ fans as they grew increasingly exasperated.

The second leg should really be a foregone conclusion – if Llanelli cannot close out the tie against this bunch of no-hopers then they need to take a good look at themselves. They’ll get a reasonable pay day with Motherwell having already sold upwards of 1500 tickets for the match at Llanelli.

Thirty three years ago I watched the Motherwell of Willie Pettigrew, Joe Wark and Bobby Graham defeat a full-strength Ajax side in a Friendly; The present team should be embarrassed to wear the same claret and amber jerseys as these guys.

Reasonable programme which was nearly worth the asking price – plenty to read, and worrying for the club, very few adverts.

No trouble at the ground despite the intense Motherwell / Airdrie rivalry. A few Section B nut-jobs hanging around, but Strathclyde’s Finest, including the cavalry, ensured a peaceful evening.

A few pointers about the Shyberry Excelsior Stadium:

Parking at the ground is a total rip-off. Park in the Gartlea scheme between the ground and where Broomfield used to be. Game finished at 9.50, I was on the road by 10 and over the Forth Bridge by 10.40.

£2.80 for a bottle of beer in the Stadium Bar behind the Dalziel Stand – take a kerry-oot

£2.50 for a steak pie in the ground – bring your own sandwiches.

To be fair to Motherwell and Jim Gannon he did turn things around quite quickly. They won the second leg in Wales 3-0 and some of the young players he brought in blossomed quickly into very decent players.

Good news was that the programme was quite rare and sold out – I punted it on eBay for a 500% mark up a few weeks later.

Photo is shamelessly borrowed from LLD’s blog. The Llanelli fans are the tiny knot in the top left corner.

llanelli 2.jpg

hantslondoner

Youth Team Star
Pre-Season Friendly:
2016 - 1500 KO - Baffins Milton Rovers 1 Gosport B 4
Baffins' first season in the Wessex, Gosport in Conference South.
Expected result, expected high level of competitiveness, with Boro better in the second half.
Boro's new signing Parish did well against his old team. A penalty for each side.
Full details on old WDYG.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Hopeful
Yet again no rugby league on this date, though I can promise something for tomorrow. Running comes up trumps as usual though, eventually !!

2011 (0900) Bedford parkrun (4) 22-36 21st
(1200) Summer Enigma Ultra (30 miles) - Caldecott Lake 4-57-28 8th

2016 Catton parkrun (143) 24-22 89th

Ricardo

Youth Team Sub
1995 Kosice 1 Wimbledon 1 admission 80p
Intertoto Cup crowd 4,023

Despite the previous weekend‘s 4-0 home drubbing by Bursaspor, three of us decided to make the long trip to Slovakia to see the Dons play away in Europe for the first time in our history. Since we had an early morning flight from Heathrow my friend came to stay in my flat in Putney as it had a spare room but for the only time in the ten years I lived there my neighbour below decided to have a party that Friday night before I told him to shut the f up at about 2.30 in the morning.
Some of our fans had been deterred by our own club secretary Steve Rooke trying to stop any away fans going but we were a bit more streetwise and managed to find another source within the club who gave us the details we needed. A quick check of the map of Europe determined that the Hungarian capital Budapest was within striking distance of our destination and so the three of us were on the flight that Saturday morning and arrived by lunchtime. As I had been there before when interrailing so I knew a decent hotel where we could crash whilst the afternoon was taken up looking around town, visits to the old Ferencvaros stadium and the Nep were taken in along with the other sights. In the evening after a meal out we fell prey to the common sting the local police enacted on tourists with hire cars when they pretended something was wrong with our car in return for a bribe.
Sunday the match day was hot and dry and we were pleased to have air con in the hire car for the three hour trip across the border into Slovakia, stopping only for a food break in Miskolc where the McDonald’s air conditioning was as welcome as the food. At the ground the only food was warm bread so we were glad to have stocked up earlier and I managed to gain admission by just showing my Crazy gang card, think they thought I was a club official, mind you as it only cost 80p to get in it wasn’t a massive bonus. The game itself was quite slow and drab in the heat even in spite of the 6pm kick off and it ended 1-1 which ended up being the only goal in Wimbledon’s European history after we had been robbed of the chance in 1988 due to the Heysel ban.
Another 3 hour drive back into Hungary after the game but luckily it stayed light until about 10pm at that time of year so it was largely uneventful and the heat had taken its toll so we were all knackered and ready to fall into bed on our return at 11pm to our hotel. The following morning we flew back home to London, three of probably only about 10 Wimbledon fans there.9D3F6F37-6725-4472-9956-8718DF5F7BD7.jpeg

2007 Portugal 2 New Zealand 0 crowd 19,526
under 20 World Cup, Toronto, Canada

My wife and I had booked a superb 15 night holiday to Canada with 5 nights in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto and by amazing chance(I swear I didn’t know anything about it beforehand 😀) the under 20 World Cup was taking place whilst we were in Toronto, so I managed to persuade her what a good opportunity this would be for her to have an afternoon nap whilst I saw a game. It was in fact a double header with Gambia v Mexico afterwards but I didn’t want to take the mick so I only went to the first game which was Portugal against New Zealand, whose players were staying at our hotel.
There were tons of Portugese and Mexican ex pats at the ground creating a great atmosphere and it was pretty competitive stuff, I don’t recall a lot about the game but Portugal won 2-0 with both goals by Bruno Gama who is still playing for Aris Salonica in Greece to this day so most of the crowd went home happy.AE8139B0-35C8-4C47-9311-141472AB8103.jpeg418D8A36-43A3-4558-8F69-3BF6192682C0.jpeg

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Now the question is, had Hoddy already prepared his post, and photo of the zeppelin before I made the somewhat delayed opening post.

Only two games on the date for me, the more recent was in 2013 and featured Bala's first ever match in European competition. A 1-0 win over Levadia, in front of a crowd of 1,287 for a match played at Rhyl's Belle Vue ground.

No photos from me at that one, so the tweet of the day and pictures come from the fourth game in my 2010 American trip, the third succesive day in Canada

I started with a trip out to the Niagra falls. The falls themselves are majestic and beautiful, but the tourist industry around them is tacky to say the least. They tell me the USA side is worse, so perhaps I'll forgo the opportunity to check on that.

After that, I headed to London and my first objective was to find a sports bar. I think it would have been the Netherlands v Brazil World Cup quarter-final that was attracting me. Canada had got well into supporting the cup in South Africa and they had encouraged people to fly the flags of their ancesteral countries, or other countries that may be competing.

I then went down to Cove Road Field, which is owned an operated by the German club. Germany's quarter final in South Afrca was a day later. The match was in the Canadian Soccer League which despite the name has no teams beyond the province of Ontario, with the exception of the academy team of Montreal Impact. Toronto FC also had an academy side in the 13 team division. According to the Canadian FA, it was a third tier league although the country had no first or second tier leagues. At the time, the only First tier team was Toronto (in MLS), while Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps (in USSF, Division 2) were the second tier teams.

The plan at the time to have tier 3 leagues in every province and then a national championship never came to fruition.

The stadium was simple, with a few seats, but no cover. There was of course a club house and beer, (did I mention it is the GERMAN club). It cost C$10 to get in, and the programme was free. If I remember correctly, this was two items - one for the whole season showing players and sponsors, and a single sheet for the match itself. Around 150 in attendance.

Home officials told me that their team was superior and would beat the Forest City London side I had seen earlier in the week. They cited their ability to field a fully open age squad, while the team playing in the USA's PDL had to field a certain number of youth players.

Nothing on the field of play backed up the statement, and the home club fell to an easy 3-0 defeat to the Astros. Eight teams from the 13 team division made it to the play-offs, an end of season knock out, but both this pair missed out

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
In the evening after a meal out we fell prey to the common sting the local police enacted on tourists with hire cars when they pretended something was wrong with our car in return for a bribe.
Interesting. The Hungarian police must have been very poorly paid then. I attended a couple of games in Hungary that year, so it's a good thing I don't drive!

norwich6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Cricket
Friday 2nd July 2010
T20 South Group Kent v Hampshire at St Lawrence Canterbury
Scores Hampshire 139 all out Kent 94 all out 16.3 overs
A game of importance to both sides as both had hopes of
qualifying for the 1/4 finals. The pitch was spin friendly and
difficult for batsmen. Sean Irvine was the backbone of Hampshire's
total with 44 the next highest scorer made just 17. Malinga
Bandara took 3 for 14 and Martin Van Jarsveld 3 for 25 for Kent
The Kent batsman found it very hard Joe Denly was out to a good
catch and Rob Key was top scorer with 22 as Kent were all out for 94
Hampshire's Danny Briggs was almost unplayable and he took 3 for 5 in his
4 overs This remains one of the best economical bowling analysis in English
t20 history. Defeat for Kent meant only had a very outside chance of
progressing further.

Rugby League
Saturday 2nd July 2005
London Broncos v Hull FC at Brewery Field Bridgend
Score 24-24 half time 16-10 Attendance 3775
Admission £15 standing £18 to sit Programme £3
Game played here as Griffin Park was being reseeded and yet another
attempt to promote to rugby league in South Wales.
The game was absolutely tremendous with both sides being rightly
applauded off the pitch at the end. Broncos were 10-0 ahead early on
but Hull made it 10-10 before Broncos led 16-10 at half time. Soon after
the interval a try under the post and a easy conversion 16 all. A penalty
puts Broncos back in front 18-16 but then a try and conversion for
Hull make it 18-22 but then the try and conversion puts Broncos ahead
24-22 finally a Danny Brough penalty makes it all square again.
Broncos just miss a drop goal attempt in the final minute.
A brilliant afternoons entertainment a match right up there with one
of the best I have ever witnessed.

Speedway
Sunday 2nd July 2017 National League
Mildenhall v Eastbourne at West Row Mildenhall
Score Mildenhall 46 Eastbourne 44
Admission £11 over 60 Programme £2
An excellent speedway meeting with Eastbourne recovering
from a 31-23 deficit after heat 9 to lead 43-41 going into the
last heat thus requiring Mildenhall to get a 4-2 to force a
draw or a 5-1 to win. To the crowds delight Jon Armstrong
and Jordan Jenkins got the 5-1 needed with Jake Knight 3rd
and Georgie Wood 4th. Jon Armstrong ended the meeting with
11 points and Jordan Jenkins 10. Jake Knight 12 and Georgie
Wood 10 were Eastbourne's top scorers
A good afternoon if only all speedway was like this.

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Now the question is, had Hoddy already prepared his post, and photo of the zeppelin before I made the somewhat delayed opening post.

=====================================================

Home officials told me that their team was superior and would beat the Forest City London side I had seen earlier in the week. They cited their ability to field a fully open age squad, while the team playing in the USA's PDL had to field a certain number of youth players.
He had , if you'd like to avoid the USS Vincennes / 1988 & Algeria / 1962 tomorrow.

=======================================================

That's why it was a no go for me then .as is it is now as the USL2.

Last edited:

Loiner

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
None
1995- Charity match at East End Park FC, Leeds. Leeds City Housing v Leeds United Ex Players 1-2.
Rugby League. Halifax Workshops Final at Siddal. Siddal v Crown & Anchor 12-22.
2005- Pre Season Friendly. Total Network Solutions v Glentoran 0-1 at Llansantffraid.
2011- Burnley & Dist. Summer League. Group 1. FC George IV v Sacred Heart 11-1 on pitch5 at Prairie Playing Fields.
2016- Rugby League. N C L Div.1. Thatto Heath Crusaders v Shaw Cross Sharks 30-0.

Warwickian

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Leamington
Wednesday 2nd July 1997
K.R 4 I.A Akranes 0
Iceland League.Premier Division

My final match of my Icelandic holiday saw me at the most impressive ground of my trip.The K.R Vollur had a decent covered enclosure with seating at the front and terracing to the rear.This is now all seating whilst the rest of the ground was just open standing.
A comfortable win for the home team with three goals in the first half and another early in the second half with Einar Thor Danielsson getting a hat-trick. Best crowd of the trip with 2,815 being in attendance but the only game with no programme.The weather was the same as all the games I attended in the Reykjavik area,cold and cloudy but thankfully dry.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
1989 (Sunday) – FF Jaro 0 FC Kuuysi 0 (Finland, top division, attendance 2,305) Four page A5 programme issued. Jaro are based in the mainly Swedish-speaking west coast town of Jakobstad, also known as Pietersaari in Finnish. The town does not have a railway station, so I travelled by bus from the nearest station which was about seven miles away. I might try to walk it if I ever return there! The ground is a centrally located athletics venue with had a fairly large stand along the whole of one side and appears to be more or less unchanged today.

2005 (Saturday) – Kildare County 1 Galway United 2 (Eire, second tier) A5 programme issued. This was a daytrip (flying there and back) to the town of Newbridge, easily reached by train from Dublin, with the station being very close to the ground. The club did not spend very long in the league, which is a pity as the ground was better than some others in the league. It had a permanent covered stand with a viewing area at the back. A look at the aerial photos suggests that uncovered seating has since been added to the other side of the ground.

2011 (Saturday) – Finn Harps 0 Cork Celtic 2 (Eire, top tier) See link to WDYG report on old forum; http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=339277;search_string=finn;guest=337219929#339277

2014 (Wednesday) - Lincoln Red Imps 1 HB Torshavn 1 (UEFA Cup first round, first leg, attendance 1,821) A5 programme issued. This was my first trip to Gibraltar to watch a match there, although I had previously walked around it when ticking Ceuta in 2012. The Victoria Stadium, where this match was played, may be rebuilt at some point in the near future. I bought my ticket at the stadium before the game, which was probably not far off from being a sell out.

2015 (Thursday) – West Ham United 3 FC Lusitanos 0 (Europa League) Attendance 34,966 (B5 programme issued - not a thinned-down effort, but normal issue. It described the visitors, who are from the principality of Andorra, as ‘FC Lusitans’ on the front cover, which I believe is the Spanish spelling) The main attraction of this match for me was that it is probably the earliest ever date that a competitive club match has been played in England. The biggest surprise about this game was the sell-out crowd for my last visit to the Boleyn and it is unclear why so many people wanted to attend, particularly as the Hammers fielded their reserve side. I was fortunate to get one of the last tickets available, despite having booked it a few days earlier. I think this was also the last time I saw the late Paul Sparrow at a match.

2016 (Saturday) – Bath City 1 Partick Thistle 1 (pre-season friendly, attendance 302) Four page A5 programme issued. Revisit to Twerton Park, which may be partially rebuilt in the near future although the planning application for this was recently rejected. I travelled by National Express coach to Bristol rather than Bath (as the service to Bath isn’t as frequent or cheap) and then used my Freedom Pass to travel free on a local bus to Bath. After the match, I took a short cut via Weston Island (an island in the River Avon, connected to the mainland on either side by bridges) in order to catch the bus back to Bristol quickly.

Steveb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
2005 (Saturday) – Kildare County 1 Galway United 2 (Eire, second tier) A5 programme issued. This was a daytrip (flying there and back) to the town of Newbridge, easily reached by train from Dublin, with the station being very close to the ground. The club did not spend very long in the league, which is a pity as the ground was better than some others in the league. It had a permanent covered stand with a viewing area at the back. A look at the aerial photos suggests that uncovered seating has since been added to the other side of the ground.
The ground was, and still is, home to Newbridge Town FC in the Leinster Senior League.

You probably knew that, but I thought it worth pointing it out in case some people weren't aware.

DJM61

Junior Team Star
1989 (Sunday) – FF Jaro 0 FC Kuuysi 0 (Finland, top division, attendance 2,305) Four page A5 programme issued. Jaro are based in the mainly Swedish-speaking west coast town of Jakobstad, also known as Pietersaari in Finnish. The town does not have a railway station, so I travelled by bus from the nearest station which was about seven miles away. I might try to walk it if I ever return there! The ground is a centrally located athletics venue with had a fairly large stand along the whole of one side and appears to be more or less unchanged today.

2011 (Saturday) – Finn Harps 0 Cork Celtic 2 (Eire, top tier) See link to WDYG report on old forum; http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=339277;search_string=finn;guest=337219929#339277

2014 (Wednesday) - Lincoln Red Imps 1 HB Torshavn 1 (UEFA Cup first round, first leg, attendance 1,821) A5 programme issued. This was my first trip to Gibraltar to watch a match there, although I had previously walked around it when ticking Ceuta in 2012. The Victoria Stadium, where this match was played, may be rebuilt at some point in the near future. I bought my ticket at the stadium before the game, which was probably not far off from being a sell out.

2015 (Thursday) – West Ham United 3 FC Lusitanos 0 (Europa League) Attendance 34,966 (B5 programme issued - not a thinned-down effort, but normal issue. It described the visitors, who are from the principality of Andorra, as ‘FC Lusitans’ on the front cover, which I believe is the Spanish spelling) The main attraction of this match for me was that it is probably the earliest ever date that a competitive club match has been played in England. The biggest surprise about this game was the sell-out crowd for my last visit to the Boleyn and it is unclear why so many people wanted to attend, particularly as the Hammers fielded their reserve side. I was fortunate to get one of the last tickets available, despite having booked it a few days earlier. I think this was also the last time I saw the late Paul Sparrow at a match.

2016 (Saturday) – Bath City 1 Partick Thistle 1 (pre-season friendly, attendance 302) Four page A5 programme issued. Revisit to Twerton Park, which may be partially rebuilt in the near future although the planning application for this was recently rejected. I travelled by National Express coach to Bristol rather than Bath (as the service to Bath isn’t as frequent or cheap) and then used my Freedom Pass to travel free on a local bus to Bath. After the match, I took a short cut via Weston Island (an island in the River Avon, connected to the mainland on either side by bridges) in order to catch the bus back to Bristol quickly.
Maybe it was a sell West Ham might have a lot of supporters?

paulh66

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
2015 (Thursday) – West Ham United 3 FC Lusitanos 0 (Europa League) Attendance 34,966
The biggest surprise about this game was the sell-out crowd for my last visit to the Boleyn and it is unclear why so many people wanted to attend, particularly as the Hammers fielded their reserve side.
I went to the Boleyn for the next round and tickets for that were £10 - iirc the Lusitanos game was the same. I think the cheap pricing, the club's return to European competition and the school holidays all helped swell the attendance. Plus, for some, the last realistic chance of seeing a competitive game at the Boleyn.
EDIT - and, as DJM says, they've a lot of supporters!

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC

Pre-season Friendly
Boldmere Sports and Social Falcons 3-1 Walsall Phoenix
F&N, Att: 30ish

Advertised as a 6.30 kick off, we eventually got underway one minute before 7, as the officials were late arriving, which put an end to my hopes of being back in the house nice and early.

This is a ground I've passed many times on the train, but was my first visit. The main pitch is railed off, to the right is space for another pitch, which hasn't yet been marked out but presumably does get used, as there are dugouts installed, and a single sprinkler was rather ineffectively watering part of the grass throughout the evening. Between the clubhouse and the pitch is a caged 5-a side pitch, which was in use by the local kids and their coaches throughout the evening.

Wholesale changes were made at half time - Boldmere changing their entire team, and kit. The black replacement kit, (presumably a training kit, as it had no numbers on the back of the shirts, only a small number on the right breast, which made identification impossible if they weren't standing right in front of you), meant that the officials spent the second half wearing yellow bibs to distinguish themselves from the players.

Boldmere always looked the better side, though Phoenix did take the lead with their first attack. 3-1 seemed a fair reflection of the balance of play.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The ground was, and still is, home to Newbridge Town FC in the Leinster Senior League.

You probably knew that, but I thought it worth pointing it out in case some people weren't aware.
Four years and 17 days before my visit. A decent ground, but any illusions are dispensed when you go into the bar.I sat down and then looked down to the side of my seat, to see a bundle of electrical cables sprawling out of the wall, without a plug socket and at least some uninsulated. And yes, something was plugged in so I know they were live

kildare v limerick (6) m.JPG

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks