Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
High Peak Cup
Buxton 0-3 Glossop North End
Admission £8, Programme £2, team sheet free

I'd made my only previous trip to the town of Buxton a little over 25 years earlier, but didn't make it to the football ground, so this was a chance to put that right. Nice ground in a pleasant setting. I like this town.

On the pitch, it was a comfortable win for the visitors who, despite being a division below their hosts, looked the better side throughout.

The game kicked off a little bit early at 2.56pm, and it took just 9 minutes for Glossop to take the lead, Yarwood doing a good impression of a calm penalty taker, as he scoried from the spot.

Glossop played a good short passing game, while Buxton looked to hit longer balls forward to take advantage of some pacy forwards. In first half stoppage time, some handbags in the centre circle led to Dereham of Glossop and Taylor of Buxton being dismissed. Most of the talk from players and supporters centred around their dissatisfaction with the referee's decision, though whether the ref should have booked them both, just given them a talking to, or insisted that they both be substituted, nobody could quite agree on. Personally, my only criticism was for the two players, for putting the ref in that position in stoppage time in a friendly match. Overall, the ref had a very good game indeed

The start of the second half was slightly delayed, after Glossop sent 11 men back out, and had to remove one before kick-off. Buxton had one or two chances, but never seriously troubled the substitute keeper, and it was no surprise that, when further goals came, it was Glossop who scored them. On 70 minutes, after collecting a Buxton corner, the visitors keeper sent a long punt downfield, and Glossop's number 11 held off a challenge before finishing well into the far corner. Two minutes later, it was 0-3. The hosts keeper fumbled, allowing a Glossop substitute to tap into an empty net.

Buxton did eventually get the ball into the net, 5 minutes before full time, only for it to be ruled out for offside. So, Glossop were the winners of the first piece of silverware I saw awarded that season.

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Friday 22nd July 2005

St. Patricks Athletic 1 Waterford United 0 (1,040)

After quite a few Stags friendlies, finally i've managed a proper game.
Spent the afternoon touring the excellent Kilmainham Gaol before walking to Inchicore, quite a tight little venue. Then bused it back to enjoy the Friday night Dublin scene.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Apart from the trip with Hoddy to Kansas, I have seen 8 other games on this date

2000 - Wangen bei Olten 2-2 Delemont. Admission ChF 10 (~£4.50), Programme Free, Attendance 1545. Swiss NLB. Unusual for me to to a game on Friday and Saturday and not have anything for the Sunday - I do not recall there being any problems. All the goals in a 12th minute period, with Delemont scoring on 22 and 27, then conceding on 29 and 34 - the equaliser being an own goal

2004 - Another double header in the second round of group games in Asian Cup. Despite there being a perfectly servicable ground in the city centre, the newly built Sichuan LongQuan Yi Stadium is around 30 km outside the centre. Getting out was no problem, but coming back might have been difficult. I recall trying to get our group onto the media bus (which would have taken me back to the centre), but I think this failed, leaving me waiting with the others until a taxi turned up

The group consisted of Turkmenistan, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Iraq. The first pair listed had drawn 2-2 in the first game, while the Uzbeks had beaten Iraq by 1-0. For this pair, my records and wiki agree with attendance of 22,000 for both games. The first game we saw was Turkmenistan v Iraq. The Iraqis scored early, but the lead was held for only two minutes, and we stayed at 1-1 until 10 minutes to play. Perhaps, crucially, Turkmenistan had a defender sent off on 60 minutes. After Iraq regained the lead on 80 minutes, Turkmenistan again quickly equalised, this time after being behind for 4 minutes. Only for Iraq to score again with three minutes to play.

The second game was more attritional, with Uzbekistan showing a fine defensive formation, so as once the ever impressive Alexander Geynrikh scored after 12 minutes, it always looked likely to be an Uzbek win.

Looking forward, the Uzbek team would score their third successive 1-0 win (against Turkmenistan) to top the group, while another late winner would give Iraq a place in the quarter-finals.

2005 - My next games after getting back from Japan were a Friday/Saturday pair in Austria. The first of these was a second tier game at Schwanenstadt, newly promoted and embarking on a three season spell at this level. The game, a scoreless draw against Kapfenberg did not impress much and to be honest, I was no overly impressed with the town either, but I think that may have been down to poor weather during the day. The Stadium, which I believe is correctly Stadion Vor der Au, was the Schwan stadium at the time, and was called the bet-at-home.com stadium-Arena shortly before the club disappeared, thanks to Wiener Neustadt buying out the license.

P1000200.JPG

2007 - The Asian Cup again, this time the second day of the quarter-finals in South East Asia. Having seen Iraq win in Bangkok, the question was who would they meet in the semi-final. I was to see both this game, and the semi-final at Bukit Jalil, the big new Malaysian National Stadium. For this game, I was travelling with my former boss, and American who was head of the project I worked on in Crawley a year earlier. The stadium is mighty and impressive, as well as easily reached on the metro from the city. As for the game, it was a 0-0 draw (including extra time) between Iran and South Korea. the attendance of 8,629 was only around 10% of the stadium capacity. While Iran would really have loved to meet Iraq in the competition, it was South Korea who made it through scoring four out of five penalties, while Iran missed two from four. My American friend has only ever been to two games with me, one in Kuala Lumpar, the other at Tonbridge

2008 - A Goldline Trophy game, Eagley 3-1 Tempest United, attendance ~120

2012 & 2016 - Early season Bavarian trips, both with second teams away from home, and in both cases winning. The final match of the trip in 2012 finished FC Affing 3-5 Unterhachng II, in fron tof around 430 spectators in the Bayernliga Sud (tier 5).
P1050564 m.JPG

Four years later, a trip was started at FV Illertissen 1921, with FC Augsburg II turning out the victors by 3-2. The pictures for that one can be found as tweet of the day

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Somehow I forgot to include a match attended on Saturday 22nd July 2000, which was;

Swanage Town & Herston 3 Exeter City 6 (A5 programme issued)

This was a revisit to the wonderful Days Park ground in my favourite seaside resort.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Somehow I forgot to include a match attended on Saturday 22nd July 2000, which was;

Swanage Town & Herston 3 Exeter City 6 (A5 programme issued)

This was a revisit to the wonderful Days Park ground in my favourite seaside resort.
Totally agree, it's in a lovely setting, one of the few I've played, ran the line, refereed and observed (assessed) at.

Bagman

Reserve Team Regular
Saturday 22nd July 2017

Pre Season Friendly

Weymouth FC (0) 0 v 1(0) Torquay United

Admission £6 OAP Programme None Team Sheet 30p Car Park £2 Attendance 528

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
RETRO Part 2. ( All new material ).
R2ab41ef94c66ee4e16f7575ec9000209.jpg

Saturday @ 15-00.
UEFA Inter Toto Cup Group 1.
Sheffield Wednesday 3 v 1 Aarhus GF .
@ Millmoor ( Rotherham ).
087millmoorpanoramiconecopyright.jpg-SheffieldWednesday-AGFAarhus-22_07_95-L.jpg

Wednesday - Chris Woods , Dan Petrescu (1) , Peter Atherton , Mark Pembridge , John Sheridan , Des Walker , Graham Hyde , Ian Nolan , DavId Hirst , Mark Bright (2)( Sent off 87 ) , Andy Pearce.
Subs - Lee Briscoe for Nolan , Andy Sinton for Hyde , Guy Whittingham for Hirst.
Manager - David Pleat.

Highlights-
https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/646264

Aarhus - Lars Windfeld , Palle Sorensen , Torben Piechnik , Martin Nielsen , Arkadiusz Gmur , Stig Tofting , Claus Stack , Jan Bartram , Thomas Thorninger , Henrik Mortensen , Nocko Jokovic (1).
Subs - Martin Jorgensen for Jokovic , Lennart Bak for Thorninger , Lars Lambaek for Sorensen.
Manager - Peter Rudbaek.

Referee -Jan Wegereef ( Netherlands ).

More Inter Toto action , this time at Rotherham United's Millmoor Ground.
Hillsborough was being renovated ahead of the '96 European Championships where it was to stage 3 games , it had all Denmark's 3 games in Group D , v Portugal , v Croatia and v Turkey.

David Pleat was new in the role of manager for the Owls and had picked what looked on paper as a very strong side.
For the opening league game of 95/96 v Liverpool showed only 3 changes.
Kevin Pressman replaced Woods.
Julian Watts replaced Pearce .
& Chris Waddle replaced Hirst ( who was a sub )

Bright opened the scoring finishing off some slick passing in midfield with a left foot chip over the keeper from the edge of the box. after 10 minutes.
Aarhus were level after 21 mins with a far post header by Jokovic. It remained a draw at half time.

5 mins into the second half Bright again collecting a chip over the defence controlled it and fired past the keeper. This settled the Owls down , that is all except Bright who was letting defenders who were having a niggle at him get to him.

Petrescu finished the game off with 5 mins left when collecting a through ball on the right drew the keeper went round him headed towards goal and fired in.
Just enough time to run the clock down and Bright to get himself sent off . Pillock . Unlucky but you can't react.

Flnal league table Group A.
1.Karlsruher SC 4 3 1 0 13- 4 10
2.Sheffield Wednesday 4 2 1 1 7- 5 7
3.FC Basel 4 2 0 2 6- 6 6
4.AGF (Aarhus) 4 2 0 2 7- 8 6
5.Gornik Zabrze 4 0 0 4 5-15 0
17 x games , 0 x 0-0's , 1 x double beware_idiots.jpg 13 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

.1978 California Surf 1 v 2 Detroit Express.
1999 Kansas City 4 v 3 Tampa Bay Mutiny.
2000 Estudiantes BA 0 v 2 Sarmiento.
2001 Odd Skien 0 v 5 Bodo.
2007 Vetra 0 v 2 Blackburn.
2017 Triglav 2 v 3 Maribor.
2018 Podbrezova 1 v 2 Dunajska Streda.
2019 CSKA 1948 2 v 0 Loko Sofia ( 18-30 ).
2019 Vitosha 0 v 2 Botev Vratsa ( 21-00 ).

------------------------1994--- OJ pleads ''absolutely, 100 percent not guilty"-----------------
--------------OIP.jpg

Attachments

• SheffieldWednesday-AGFAarhus-22_07_95-L.jpg
    SheffieldWednesday-AGFAarhus-22_07_95-L.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
DUNFERMLINE 1 NORWICH CITY 0

Saturday, 22nd Jul 2000
Pre Season Friendly
Lee Bullen (66) 1-0:

Lee Bullen has the hero and the tragedy as the Pars defeated their English First Division opponents. After scoring the 66 minute winner he pulled up injured with 13 minutes remaining and was stretchered off.

Following their 4-0 defeat of Queens Park on Wednesday and a 2-0 defeat in Perth last Saturday Norwich fielded a side that was shaping up as their first choice. Their manager Bryan Hamilton had the Dane Steen Nedergaard and former Nantes player Gaetano Giallanza in the starting line up along with Welsh internationalist Craig Bellamy.

Dunfermline were forced to make changes through injury. Scott Thomson came in for Marco Ruitenbeek (groin strain). Jason Dair, Eddie May and Steven Hampshire came in for Doesburg, Potter and Matthaei.

DUNFERMLINE: Scott Y Thomson: Scott M Thomson, Justin Skinner, Andrius Skerla: Lee Bullen (Keir Nicol 81), Eddie May (Russell Huggon 81), Steven Hampshire (Colin Nish 66), Stewart Petrie, Jason Dair: Stevie Crawford, Owen Coyle (Chris Templeman 77)

NORWICH CITY: Andy Marshall; Daryl Sutch, Darren Kenton (Fernando Derveld 45), Lee Marshall (Darel Russell 68): Craig Fleming, Matt Jackson (Malky Mackay 73), Steen Nedergaard, Craig Bellamy (Adrian Coote 85), Iwan Roberts (Adrian Forbes 77), Gaetano Giallanza (Raimond Da Waard 45), Chris Llewellyn (Paul Dalglish 45).

REFEREE: David Somers
ATTENDANCE 2163

Lots of interest in this for me. Norwich fielded two Scots in Malky Mackay and Paul Dalglish. Mackay is now Manager of Ross County. Dalglish runs a successful coaching academy in the USA.

I always enjoyed watching big Templeman of the Pars where ever he played – he had outstanding skill for such a tall player. Stevie Crawford and Owen Coyle were also players to admire.

Pars v Norwich Prog.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1996 North Wales Times Shield Final (@ Ysceifiog FC) Llanrhaeadr v Rhewl 2-2
(aet 90 mins 2-2) (penalties 4-3)
The only time I have ever seen the final played in Ysceifiog. Possibly the only time it ever has been held there. It was well attended.

1997 North Wales Times Shield Semi Final (@ Rhewl) Henllan v Llangynhafl Lost 1-4

1999 North Wales Times Shield Semi-final Replay (@ Ysceifiog) Llandyrnog v Llangynhafl 7-2

2004 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute Drew 0-0

2008 North Wales Times Shield Semi-final (@ Rhewl) Clawddnewydd v Ysceifiog Won 1-4

2009 Pre Season Friendly Heswall v Warrington Town Drew 2-2

2017 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three West Bowling v Dewsbury Celtic 38-22

In a big sports field but in the corner and with a large grass bank around part of two sides. Quite well hopped. Certainly Jerry from Eastleigh was one such present. There was a programme and refreshments on sale

2019 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v Accrington Stanley Drew 0-0
West Bowling RLFC
1626940115080.png
1626940174976.png

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock