July 22nd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I don't know what happened on this date - a few wars, bombings and the like - Hoddy will find the two best!

(He might mention Kansas as well)

If you know what happened, at least in football terms, post it here

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Sunday @ 19-00.
UEFA. Inter Toto Round 3. (1st leg).
Vetra 0 v 2 Blackburn Rovers.

@ Vetra Stadium . Vilnius. (Later to become LFF Stadium , 2010).

Vėtra Stadium -  Vilnius
-- European Football Club Logos

Vetra - Vaidas Zutautas , Pedro Botelho , Nerijus Sasnauskas , Andrei Usachev , Andrius Skerla , Bobi Bozinovski , Geldminas Butrimavicus , Mindaugas Panka , Egidijus Juska , Lima Severino , Vitalis Stankvevicius.
Subs - Maksut Azizi for Butrimavicus , Rolandas Karcemarskas for Stankevicius , Robertas Vezivicius for Severino.
Manager - Aleks Tarkhanov.

Blackburn - Brad Friedel , Andre Oojier , Ryan Nelsen , Chris Samba , Stephen Warnock , David Bentley , Morten Gamst Pedersen , Robbie Savage , Tugay Kerimoglu , Benni McCarthy (1), Jason Roberts.
Subs - Aaron Mokoena for Kerimoglu , Matt Derbyshire (1) for Bentley , Maceo Rigters for McCarthy.
Manager - Mark Hughes.

Referee - Tony Asumaa (Finland).

The game was played under a high level of security , the riot police were out in force after the events of the previous round . The Legia fans in the first leg of Round 2 weren't happy at the 2-0 half time score to Vetra , they kicked off and caused the game to be abandoned.
Vetra were awarded the game 3-0 , the second leg was not played and Legia banned from European fixtures for a season.

The Blackburn game went off without incident off the field , on it Rovers scraped through with a good strike from McCarthy after half an hour and a further Matty Derbyshire effort 10 minutes from the end.
Vetra gave a good account of themselves and could / should have scored at least a goal in front of their record crowd of 5,200. The fans were terrific , urging Vetra on , but it was an easy game in the second leg at Ewood Park with a 4-0 win for Rovers and goals for Pedersen , Roberts , McCarthy & Samba.

I stayed over for a league game on the Tuesday at Ekranas 3 v 1 FC Vilnius before flying home on the Wednesday.

Look forward to Leos account of Kansas City in 1999 , it was game 1 / day 1 , we couldn't have fallen out yet ? :unsure:

17 x games (13+4 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's. Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock 13 x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.
1978 California Surf 1 v 2 Detroit Express.
1995 Sheffield Wednesday 3 v 1 Aarhus.
1999 Kansas City 4 v 3 Tampa Bay. (All yours Leo).
2000 Estudiantes BA 0 v 2 Sarmiento.
2001 Odd Skien 0 v 5 Bodo/Glimt.
2003 Ludlow Town 0 v 7 Shrewsbury.
2017 Triglav Kranj 2 v 3 Maribor.
2018 Pobbrezova 1 v 2 Dunajska Streda.
2019 CSKA 1948 2 v 0 Loko Sofia.(R/V)
2019 Vitosha Bistritsa 0 v 2 Tsarsko Selo.
+ 1996 (Just for the story). Mid tour with Hutch we were at a lower Iceland tier game (Div 4A) Lettir 3 v 1 KSAA. As was the norm , we took a 4 x pack of strong stuff each for company , it was my turn to get teams and as I was supping from a can trying to write teams down I asked one of the KSAA players what the A A stood for , you've guessed it , a team from Alcoholics Anonymous.
I don't know who was laughing most us or the KSAA players.:ROFLMAO:

2003/Qusay & Uday killed/Just Saddam to go (Captured Dec 13,2003/Executed , Dec 30, 2006)
Uday and Qusay Hussein with their father
--
--

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1991/92 Wingate & Finchley 0 Ruislip Manor 1 (Friendly) @ Brickfield Lane (Arkley)
2014/15 Wingate & Finchley 1 Redbridge 2 Att 52 (Friendly)
2017/18 Wingate & Finchley 1 Woking 1 Att 114 (Friendly)

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
A massive six PSFs on this date, the last four of which were covered in old WDYGs:

1979 - 1600 KO - FC 08 Villingen 1 VfB Stuttgart 4 @Schwenningen - attendance 5000, prog issued
Oberligisten FC08 hosted BL runners-up VfB in their big pre-season match, and didn't let themselves down, despite the visitors, with a full squad and boasting players such as Hansi Mueller and the Foerster brothers, going three goals up after 27 mins. After the break it was more even and the hosts pulled a goal back, only for VfB to extend their lead again later on.
The Gustav-Strohm Stadion in Schwenningen (BSV was the local team) had a decent stand and a fair amount of terracing, and coped with a big crowd pretty well.

2010 - 1900 KO - Moneyfields 0 Lancing 4
Played on the back pitch at Dover Road (the one behind the hedge at the far side of the main pitch), as the Wessex Prem hosts, with a weakened team, got stuffed by their Sussex 2 visitors , especially after the break. Lancing, who were to finish second in their league this season, looked likely to score every time they went forward. Free admission.

2014 - 1945 KO - Sholing 4 Gosport B 3
FA Vase winners v FA Trophy finalists, and a good game saw Sholing score in the first minute but the visitors came good to lead at the break. The hosts soon equalised but Boro went ahead again, only for two late goals to give Sholing the win. All three of Sholing's second half goals were scored by headers by central defenders Mott (two) and Miller (one).

2016 - 1945 KO - Team Solent 1 Havant and Waterlooville 6
Abandoned on 78 mins due to floodlight failure, despite the natural light (in my opinion) being perfectly adequate for the full 90 mins. Nevertheless an entertaining game, with the visitors impressing hugely. Three goals up (two for Patterson) before half-time, they were pegged back briefly but turned it on again in a truncated second period.

2017 - a double:
1300 KO - Upham 0 Infinity 5
Upham held their higher-ranked visitors to a single goal in the first hour, then two good finished by Phillips helped Infinity to a convincing win.
1500 KO - Colden Common 2 Totton and Eling 0
Two first-half goals at Main Road gave HPFL Common a surprise win over Wessex 1 opponents, for whom Jo Tessem played the full 90 mins. The home team worked very hard and deserved their victory, despite increasing pressure from the Millers in the second half.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Back in 2014 I had this to say on the old forum:

UEFA Champions League 1st Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
Celtic v KR Reykjavik, 4-0 (Agg 5-0), Att c.38000, Admission £20, Programme £2.50
at BT Murrayfield

This proved to be a very enjoyable evening even if the game was totally one sided. Celtic scored three times in the first half hour, the first two from set pieces, as the Icelanders provided feeble opposition. Once they decided to sit in and conduct a damage limitation exercise Celtic found it more difficult to break them down and added just on more goal.

Prior to the games I had feared that some of Glasgow's unwashed might disgrace themselves on a day out to Edinburgh. I was pleasantly suprised but delighted to be proved wrong. I saw a couple of Buckied-up neds near Haymarket Station but otherwise the Celtic fans were on their best behaviour. The game was included on the Celtic season ticket and many supporters had obviously brought the wife and weans for a day out in the Capital. A family next to me had been to the Zoo and the Castle and Maw and Paw had obviously also found time for a small refreshment along the way. Their wee girl had obviously been more impressed by the Pandas than the football.

In allocating tickets Celtic had been very cute. Murrayfield and Celtic Park are very similar in configuration (two tier, continous ellipse) and they had basically superimposed one on the other. This meant that the Green Brigade were all together in one corner and everyone had a ticket for their usual part of the other ground, if that makes sense. It also explains why the tickets available for neutral to purchase were in one corner - we were in what is normally the away section at Celtic Park, i.e. no season ticket holders. The 20 KR Reykjavik fans were grouped in the opposite corner from where season ticket holders had been given a better seat down the side of the pitch.

The atmosphere was good. The Green Brigade and the Celtic fans have toned down the political singing and obscenity to an acceptable level. They did have alarge display of Palestinian flags - the Celtic fans do back oppressed minorities around the world. There has been a bit of a backlash from them towards their Israeli player Nir Biton who tweeted the IDF Prayer a few days ago. There was constant noise from the Green Brigade and almost the whole crowd missed the fourth Celtic goal as they had their backs to the pitch "Doing the Huddle in the Champions League". KR were quite possibly distracted by the cacophony.

Murrayfield is a really excellent venue. Easy access and wide passageways are helpful and there was a huge array of catering outlets. They weren't cheap but the quality and portion size was way above the usual football fare. Many a Glasgow wean was gobsmacked at the quantity of chips and cheese they could get for £3. I opted for a double bacon cheeseburger with a double espresso for £7. I'd earlier been in the Haymarket and Ryries Bar where the Celtic fans were again on their best behaviour - I really got the impression that they wanted to be seen in a positive light.

The police also did a fine job in getting the Glaswegians out of town. They effectively shut all the roads to Roseburn and then into Haymarket for around half an hour to allow pedestrian specators unimpeded progress. This really annoyed the snooty residents from their detached Victorian villas near to the old Donaldsons School. How sad. A shuttle tram service operated from Murrayfield Stadium into town.

Programme was a slimmed down £2.50 version - perfectly adequate and the content was very good. Pleasing that Celtic ignored the opportunity to fleece the fans with some sort of rip-off Murrayfield Souvenir edition for a fiver.

Haven't yet seen an official attendance and, knowing Celtic, we never will. If one does emerge the it will almost certainly be inaccurate as it may well include all season tickets regardless of whether they attended or not. I reckoned around 38-40,000 which is pretty good for a home game in another city.

Lots of Kempsterites in attendance and mostly in the same section as me. Ran into hipkissexpress, davyc, shifnalshrew, grumpydwarf, yorkieexile, fitbadaft and a few others.

Celtic: Fraser Forster, Mikael Lustig, Efe Ambrose, Virgil Van Dijk, Emilio Izaguirre (Sub Adam Matthews), Leigh Griffiths (Sub B Kayal), Stefan Johansen, Charlie Mylgrew, Calum McGregor, Kris Commons, Timo Pukki (Sub Liam Henderson). Other subs Lukasz Zaluska, Nir Bitton, Dirk Boerrigter, Tony Watt
KR: Magnusson, Hauksson, Josepsson, Sigurdson G, Gunnarsson, Finbogasson, Saeversson (Sub Zato-Arouna), Sigurdsson B Atlason (Sub Ormarsson), Lorenzo (Sub Jonsson) and Martin.
Att 36850

Scorers - Van Dijk 2, Pukki 2

For those into trivia, I think the sum total of football hosted by Murrayfield is:

Friendlies between Hearts and Hibs and Barcelona
Hearts European ties 2004/5 and 2006/7
Half a season of Hearts league games when Tynecastle was being improved a few years ago
LC SF Celtic v Hearts a couple of years ago
Friendly between Liverpool and Napoli last year

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1996 North Wales Times Shield Final (@ Ysceifiog FC) Llanrhaeadr v Rhewl 2-2
(aet 90 mins 2-2) (penalties 4-3)
The only time I have ever seen the final played in Ysceifiog. Possibly the only time it ever has been held there. It was well attended.

1997 North Wales Times Shield Semi Final (@ Rhewl) Henllan v Llangynhafl Lost 1-4

1999 North Wales Times Shield Semi-final Replay (@ Ysceifiog) Llandyrnog v Llangynhafl 7-2

2004 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute Drew 0-0

2008 North Wales Times Shield Semi-final (@ Rhewl) Clawddnewydd v Ysceifiog Won 1-4

2009 Pre Season Friendly Heswall v Warrington Town Drew 2-2

2017 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three West Bowling v Dewsbury Celtic 38-22

In a big sports field but in the corner and with a large grass bank around part of two sides. Quite well hopped. Certainly Jerry from Eastleigh was one such present. There was a programme and refreshments on sale

2019 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v Accrington Stanley Drew 0-0

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Super League.
St Helens 22 Wigan Warriors 16.
Adm. £20.
Prog. £2.50.
Att. 14,204.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Star
No football for 22nd July for me, rugby league does have the following

2006 Harlequins RL - 18 Hull FC - 16 @ The Stoop, not sure if this was the visit I ran along The Thames from Central London on the way or not. I suspect it was as I remember it being rather warm.

Then back on track and other running surfaces, there are these.

1979 Barnet & District AC Open Meeting - Copthall Stadium 3000 metres 9-18.2 6th

2017 Catton parkrun (199) 25-13 158th

2018 East Anglian League - Great Yarmouth 800 metres 3-26.2 5th of 5, though I did win the B string by default :) but I'm pretty sure that was my slowest ever 800 metres.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
2004 Horsham YMCA 2 AFC Wimbledon 0
Pre season friendly crowd 354

One of the few benefits of the disgraceful decision by the football authorities to allow Wimbledon to move to Milton Keynes and the subsequent reformation as AFC Wimbledon was that I could go to a number of grounds I might never had gone to before, and this is how I found myself along with 200 or so other Wimbledon fans going to a Sussex County league ground on a Thursday night, sandwiched in between first team games at Brentford in the Supporters Direct Cup and home to Barnet.
The link between the two clubs was a centre forward called Ali Russell who had played for us in our first season in the Combined Counties league before returning to the Sussex league with Horsham YMCA, his claim to fame being that he scored AFC Wimbledon’s first ever hattrick in a home game against Cobham. Given that for us it was a squad game the quality of play wasn’t the best and it wasn’t a surprise when the home side took the lead on 24 minutes when our keeper pulled down an advancing forward to give away a penalty and it stayed that way till half time.
In the interval we took advantage of a large hole in the hedge to sneak a look at the Horsham v Crawley friendly which was taking place at the same time although with staggered kick offs, I think their game started at 7 and ours at 7.30pm and we were able to appreciate the difference in quality between the two games almost straight away. People always say the two closest grounds in the country are in Dundee but at that time before Horsham’s ground was sold off to become a housing estate it must have been the winner of that particular accolade. We slunk back in to watch the second half of our game but it didn’t get a lot better and Horsham YMCA added a second just before the end to give them a 2-0 win.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Look forward to Leos account of Kansas City in 1999 , it was game 1 / day 1 , we couldn't have fallen out yet ? :unsure:

1999 was a one off, the only time I have been on a lenggthy road trip with just Hody for company. It is fair to say that it did not all go smoothly, and we had numerous arguments on the way. I even considered driving away from Des Moines and leaving him at the motorway services. No doubt there were faults on both sides, and we have remained friends and have even taken short trips together.

We did not fall out on day 1. We had other problems to consider. If I remember correctly, the plan was to fly to Columbus (via either Chicago or Boston, I do not remember which), then take a loop with a long drive on the first day, heading west from Columbus to Kansas City, (Missouri), followed by driving to Chicago on the second day, and then back to Columbus. Day four was flights to Boston and a red-eye to London, with a hire car to allow us to get to Foxboro and back.

The problem on day 1 was the second flight, which decided to make an unscheduled stop at Dayton, due to thunderstorms in Columbus. Dayton is slightly closer to our destination and we decided to exit the flight then, not knowing the length of the delays. We did not know how the car hire company would respond, but in fact they did a good job and we paid either no excess or only a little extra for the change.

The game was played at the Arrowhead Stadium with just 4665 watching, which did not exactly fill the stadium, which at the time had a capacity just shy of 80,000, (it has been reduced to around 76,000 now). Kansas City Wizards, as they were called in 1999 are now known as Sporting Kansas City and play at a "sponsor's name" Stadium across the border in the state of Kansas.

The game was at least decent, a 4-3 home victory for the Wiz, against Tampa Bay Mutiny. Tampa Bay took the lead in the first half, with Alexi Lalas scoring the equaliser, Kansas then took the lead at 2-1, 3-2 and 4-3 in the second half, with two equalisers. Notable players included Mo Johnston for Kansas and Carlos Valderrama for Tampa Bay

I cannot find my own pictures, so this one from the internet comes from nbcsports.com

1595407505004.png

I'll post something on my other games from the date later, if I get time

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
The problem on day 1 was the second flight, which decided to make an unscheduled stop at Dayton, due to thunderstorms in Columbus. Dayton is slightly closer to our destination and we decided to exit the flight then, not knowing the length of the delays. We did not know how the car hire company would respond, but in fact they did a good job and we paid either no excess or only a little extra for the changes.
Yes remember me asking the captain in the cockpit to let us off at Dayton , as we had no checked bags he said OK as long as the ground crew could get us to the terminal. They were happy to oblige and they brought steps and a truck to take us to the exit.
It worked well in the end.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Football
Pre Season Friendly
Tuesday 22nd July 2014 Kick off 1900
Hollands and Blair v Fisher Athletic at Darland Avenue Gillingham
Score 5-1 half time 3-1
Admission £3 which included programme Attendance around 60
Sittingbourne had originally supposed to be the opposition but this was
changed to Fisher a few days previously. This was a very good match for
a friendly with some good attacking play by both sides and a deserved
win for Blair. Hollands and Blair have turned this ground from virtually a field
with a social club attached into a tidy ground with stands and floodlights
which may in the future host step 4 football.

Cricket
Sunday 22nd July 1984
Sunday League 1400 start 40 overs a side
Kent v Essex at St Lawrence Ground Canterbury
Scores Kent 213 for 5 Essex 216 for 3 39.1 overs
My first match at Canterbury after I had moved from
Oxfordshire to live in Kent. A good match in which Richard
Ellison with 83 was top scorer for Kent, Essex though were
always in control in their reply with Graham Gooch scoring 99
before he was bowled by Terry Alderman when Essex were in
sight of victory. The ground at Canterbury has changed a fair bit
since those days with the club selling off land around the ground
for flats, housing and a supermarket. Personally I feel this has
changed the character of the ground for the worse but it is
no doubt something the club have had to do to ensure it's
survival.

Rugby League
Saturday 22nd July 2000
Rugby League Alliance kick off 1445
Broncos Reserves v Leeds Rhinos Res at the Rugby Garrison Ground Gillingham
Score London Broncos 8 Rhinos 54 half time 4-18
Admission free No programme Attendance around 20
Not sure how I found out about this match possibly from a
Broncos programme ? London actually scored first but missed the
conversion from virtually under the post. Leeds replied almost
immediately but the score was just 12-4 for most of the first
40 minutes before Leeds made it 18-4 on the stroke of half time.
In the second period it was one way traffic as Leeds dominated.
Broncos second try coming in the dying minutes of the game.
The rugby garrison ground as distinct from the football ground which is
further down the road had a clubhouse and a stand with dressing
rooms underneath and was roped on one side for this match.
Kent once played a rugby union County Championship match here
though I was unable to attend that day.
Medway Dragons used the ground in later years and I saw them beat
Sussex Merlins 32-14 here in June 2011, they had to move off the ground
though as there was subsidence in the pitch and the last time I went past
the ground in 2014 the pitch and ground looked in a rather forlorn state.

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Just the one for me...

Saturday 22nd July 2017~
Pre-season friendly
Dunstable Town 0-2 Hendon

...a surprisingly competitive friendly, and all the better for it. In the good company of TheWavendonian.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Reserve Team Sub
Two PSF's on this date

Staines Town 1 Hungerford Town 0

Mo Bettamer scored on 10 and that was that.

Spelthorne Sports 2 Egham Town 0

Spelly scored on 60 and 87.

This clearly isn't a date for the spectacular for me !

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
A busier date than of late ...

1993 European Under 18 Championship, Gp 1: England U18 5 Spain U18 1 (att 8,565) at Walsall FC
Resounding win which meant England topped the group and qualified for the final. Had more luck getting to this than to the second group match against Netherlands, also at Walsall. The traffic between motorway and ground had been completely gridlocked, so eventually we gave up and drove home.

1994 Lewis & Harris League: Stornoway Athletic 0 Ness 2 (68)
Final Hebridean match towards the end of my first ever trip to the Western Isles. Athletic, and Stornoway United, play at Goathill Park, the main football venue on Lewis.

1084.jpg

1995 Friendly: Worcester City 1 Oxford United 1 (418)
A short stroll from home for a friendly Worcester's much-missed St George's Lane ground.

1998 Goldline Trophy, Gp 4: Atherton Town 2 Bolton Sports Federation Veterans 1 (50)
Played on the outside pitch immediately adjacent to Atherton Town's enclosed ground. Apparently this pitch was often used for games in this and other similar pre-season cups. Additional car parking now takes up part of the area where the pitch was.

1999 Caithness County Lge, Div 1: Wick Thistle 5 Thurso Swifts 1 (45)
Played at Upper Bignold, the railed off pitch in the park next to Wick Academy's ground. It's the main venue for Wick-based teams in the Caithness League.

2000 West Highland Amateur Lge, Div 2: Glenelg 0 Kyleakin 8 (16)
A Saturday evening (6.15pm) game at the start of a groundhopping tour of the Highlands. Glenelg is remote, and after a long drive from Manchester it was a relief to spot players walking towards the pitch from the changing rooms in a distant community centre. Glenelg is one of only two palindromic football grounds I've been to (the other was AXA).

1951.jpg

2001 Friendly: Fraserburgh 1 Cowdenbeath 1 (200)
A Highland League tick on a Sunday afternoon at the end of a weekend trip. Little between sides and, maybe surprisingly, no programme.

2002 Ross-shire Amateur Lge: Fortrose & Rosemarkie Union 2 Muir of Ord Rovers 7 (38)
Muir of Ord were 7-0 ahead by half time, but eased off after the break allowing Fortrose to get a couple back.

2003 Shropshire Senior Cup, SF: Ludlow Town 0 Shrewsbury Town 7 (2,000)
In theory this was a competitive fixture but in reality it was a warm up for Shrewsbury's only recent season as a non-League club. This might have also been the opening game at Ludlow's new stadium?

2004 West Highland Amateur Lge: Sleat and Strath 7 Sleat and Strath Juniors 0 (13)
The only time I've watched a match between two sides that are effectively part of the same club. It wouldn't have been my first choice game but I remember it was this or nothing. You wouldn't have known there was any connection between the clubs, and although the outcome was one-sided it was just like any other match. At the time Sleat played on a remote pitch at Kinloch, but they've since moved to Broadford. The main winners on the night were the midges!

2494.jpg

2006 Highland Amateur Cup, 5th rnd: Lochs 3 Pentland United 2 aet (68) at Lochbroom FC
Ullapool-based Lochbroom FC is a regular venue for Highland Amateur Cup ties between sides too far apart to make a day trip practical. This was a 1pm kick off on a Saturday. Lochbroom have been in abeyance in recent years, but were scheduled to return to league football this summer. Suspect they'll now have to wait until 2021.

2793a.jpg

2007 Friendly: Dounby Athletic 1 Clachnucuddin 3 (42)
After Saturday's game against the Orkney FA, Clachnucuddin played at Sunday lunchtime match at Dounby. I think it was arranged as part of Douby's 75th anniversary celebrations. Dounby is a small village and the football pitch is next to the community centre. I think Dounby is Orkney FC's first choice as a home ground, although the weather often dictates where games are staged.

2959.jpg

2010 Iceland 1 delid (level 2): Vikingur Reykjavik 5 Fjolner 3 (500)
Start of an Icelandic holiday in which I managed a few games. This was a bit of thriller, with the home side scoring late goals to come from behind to win.

3459.jpg

2012 League of Ireland, Premier Div: University College Dublin 1 St Patrick's Athletic 1 (507)
First time I'd completed the League of Ireland, and I did so by going to the same club that provided my first tick. UCD's old ground is now under buildings, and it took me a while to find the new one even once I'd parked inside the sprawling campus.

3779.jpg

2013 Inverness & District Lge, Premier Div: Ardersier 2 Dows Loch Ness 0 (33)
Ardersier are one of a handful of Inverness League clubs who have their own grounds, rather than playing home matches on pitches at Bught Park or Culloden.

2014 UEFA Champions Lge, 2nd qual rnd, 2nd leg: Havnar Boltfelag 1 Partizan Belgrade 3 (1-6 agg) (1,151)
More groundhopping on holiday, this time in the Faroes. Obviously the tie was already settled after the first leg, but at least HB had the satisfaction of a goal, and they held the lead into the second half. This was played at the main stadium in Torshavn. Only one side was open, and much of the rest appeared to be mid-reconstruction. Couldn't see a single away fan.

4082.jpg

2017 Switzerland, Super Lge: Lausanne-Sport 3 St Gallen 3 (3,415)
We were on holiday in the French Alps but I negotiated a day trip to Lausanne where we saw the sights before heading to the game in the evening. Enjoyable match as the scoreline suggests.

4551.jpg

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
2010 (Thursday)

FK Dukla Banská Bystrica 1 FC Zestafoni 0
Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
@ Štadión SNP Štiavniĉky K.O.17:00
Adm: €7; Att: 2,880

Caught the train south from Zilina and checked into a typically Soviet-style hotel. In view of the very hot weather I shelled out an extra €2 to sit in the shade of the main stand rather than the uncovered seating opposite. Unusually, the seat number was written on the ticket by hand and I was also surprised to find the programme was in both Slovak and English.
BB.jpeg
Zestafoni had won the first leg 3-0 and Dukla never looked like getting back in the tie, the only goal came on 28 mins. Unlike the Poles mentioned upthread, the home fans seemed content enough and stayed to applaud the visitors off at the end.

The SNP in the stadium name is an initialism for the Slovak National Uprising which launched in the city on 29 August 1944. That date is now a national holiday.
BB 1.JPG BB1.jpg

Dukla were relegated from Slovakia top level in 2015. Zestafoni were expelled from Georgia top level the same year - there are differing versions as to the circumstances surrounding the expulsion.

Last edited:

Chris1963

First Team Starter
1990 (Saturday) – FH 1 Vikingur 1 (Iceland, top division, attendance 221) No programme, but A4 season magazine available. FH are based in Hafnarfjordur, a port situated a few miles outside Reykjavik, and the stadium had an elevated, but uncovered, concrete stand on one side with grass banking around other areas. Like many other grounds in Iceland, it has been improved since then. As with the previous day’s game at Throttur, the other three English hoppers I knew were also at this match. A few months later, I read somewhere (perhaps in ‘When Saturday Comes’ or some other similar magazine) that at least one other English person had been there, as an article he had written for the magazine mentioned having attended this match, among others attended in the same country. His knowledge of the Icelandic language was non-existent though, as his article kept referring to one of Akureyri’s two clubs as ‘Por’ rather than ‘Thor’ which is the correct English spelling.

1995 (Saturday) – FC Groningen 0 Cehlaul Piatra Neamt 0 (Inter-Toto) No programme, although club magazines from the previous season were available. The only good thing about this trip was that I ticked Groningen’s old stadium. I have yet to visit the new one though. This was the first time I had seen a club from Romania in action.

1997 (Tuesday) – Hatfield Town 2 Watford 3 (pre-season friendly) Glossy A5 programme issued. This was a tick for me as the match was played at the Birchwood Sports Centre in the north of the town. The facilities were basic, just a roped-off pitch with no cover for spectators. There were several hundred spectators in attendance to watch Watford win after being 0-2 down at half-time, which suggests that they fielded a stronger side in the second half than they had done in the first. The programme stated that it would be issued for all first team home games in 1997-98, although I understand this did not happen when some hoppers visited for a midweek league game the following month.

2006 (Saturday) Bournemouth FC 1 Maidstone United 3 (pre-season friendly) A5 programme issued. Not to be confused with the Dean Court side, this club play their home games at Namu Road. The main reason for attending this match was to take photos, which I had not done on my previous visit in 1991. The programme was even better than the one I had got in 1991. Unlike that occasion, I made this trip by National Express coach.

2014 (Tuesday) Celtic 4 KR 0 (Champions League, 2nd round, 2nd leg) Attendance 39,099 with B5 programme issued. Having missed out on an opportunity to tick Murrayfield when Hearts had played a couple of European games there in the past, I made sure that I did not miss the opportunity to do so this time. I note that Prorege’s report gives the crowd as 36,850 but I have no idea which is the correct figure.

(Edit; have just re-read Prorege's report, seems that Hearts played a 'half-season of league games' at Murrayfield, which is rather surprising and I don't recall it at all. Obviously, I would have preferred to have attended one of these league games at a weekend rather than take a day or two off work for the Celtic v KR game)

2017 (Saturday) – Dundee 2 Buckie Thistle 0 (Scottish League Cup, Group C) Attendance 2,274 with B5 programme issued. This was a revisit to Dens Park, and it was the first time I had seen a SFL side play a Highland League side in the competition, although I did see Caledonian play at St Mirren’s old ground in the Scottish Cup in the 1980’s.

Last edited:

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1989- Jess Piggott Memorial Trophy 1st round. Sandy Albion v Biggleswade Town 1-4.
1994- P S F. Harrogate Town v Montrose 4-3.
1995- P S F. Buxton v Scunthorpe United 0-2.
2000- P S F. Burscough v Morecambe 1-0.
2006- Bury & Dist. Kenyon Cup Group C. Radcliffe Boys v Little Lever Sports Club 2-7.
2017- Rugby League. Yorkshire Men's Div. 1. Odsal Sedbergh v New Earswick All Blacks 10-28.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Again, I start with one I wouldn't normally include but there's a tale attached

1978 - Senate House CC v Hawkers 2nd XI, played at British Aerospace, Kingston. I would describe myself at a very occasional bowler - to say the least. On this occasion I turned in figures of 7-1-26-6, what makes it more interesting is that a) 3 of the wickets were stumpings and b) the wicketkeeper was in excess of 60 years old with associated mobility [NOTE I'm trying to avoid being ageist, especially as I fit the bill now]. Senate House were supposedly a team of people from the admin sections of London University - I was guesting.
2007 - The annual railway match, Bournemouth v Strawberry Hill at Brockenhurst College and the Foresters Arms afterwards.

The good news is a new bookcase is arriving next week, which will require a trip to the garage to retrieve various railway books and Good Beer Guides, in said garage are a couple of boxes of programmes dating back to the 1970s so I'll be able to add a bit more detail to future posts.

Warwickian

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
Thursday 22nd July 2004
ROPS Rovaniemi 1 FC Allianssi 0
Finnish League.Premier Division.Veikkausliiga

Arrived in Rovaniemi in the morning after overnight train journey from Tampere.Not an enormous amount to see in town to be honest but it does have the advantage of still being light at midnight which made sitting outside a bar having a drink in the light at midnight a novelty.
ROPS play at Keskusurheilukentta although I believe its called a different name thesedays. There was a small stand on one side with bench seating on terracing on either side of the stand.On the other side was a low covered stand along with the ubiquitous running track. ROPS won the game thanks to a penalty on 66 minutes. Attendance of 1,694 and a programme was issued.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks