July 16th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Back in the capital Montevideo after a long bus journey from from up country Paysandu we headed towards another double header at the famous Estadio Centenario to see two of the quarter finals. I should have been at Brighton watching my team Wimbledon play Beitar Jerusalem in the Intertoto in front of barely 700 people but luckily I had binned that off for some proper football in a country that was passionate about the beautiful game.
Wimbledon at Brighton was on Saturday

Steveb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1994 West Highland Amateur Lge, Div 2: Portree 12 Glenelg 0 (att 15)
My first ever taste of summer league football in the north of Scotland was a Saturday evening kick off on the Isle of Skye. I recall the drive north from my Worcester home, in heavy holiday traffic, took far longer than I'd expected and I only just made the ferry from Mallaig (no bridge to Skye back then). These days the main ground in Portree is a school 3G, but then the two Portree clubs (Portree FC and Portree United) both played on grass at the King George V Playing Field, near the town centre. The West Highland Amateur League (now renamed the Skye and Lochalsh League) had two divisions back then.

1080.jpg

1996 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 3: Great Eccleston 2 Cadley Rangers 3 (20)
Another long-gone Catforth League side. They played at St Mary's Field, which is in effect the village recreation ground.

1367.jpg

1999 Friendly: Guiseley 2 Hull City 4 (700) at South Leeds Stadium
A pre-season friendly on a Friday night that was a good opportunity to see a game at an unusual venue. I think it's staged the occasional match since.

1810.jpg

2005 Annan Tournament, Semi-Final: Annan Athletic 3 Dunfermline Athletic XI 1 (200)
My first first visit to Galabank for a semi-final of the club's annual four team tournament. I subsequently returned for a properly competitive fixture after Annan joined the Scottish League.

2640.jpg

2011 Gordon Leask Memorial Cup, Semi-Final: Clinton Thistle 4 Hatton 2 (20)
A cup for teams in the summer season North East Scotland League. This Saturday afternoon game was tagged onto the end of our holiday in the Highlands. I think we drove back home after the final whistle. Clinton Thistle have since folded, but were based in Sandhaven, near Fraserburgh.

3616.jpg

2012 Shetland Premier Lge: Whitedale 5 Scalloway 0 (28)
Final match during our Shetland holiday. Whitedale's Strom Park ground, in Whiteness, was the best football ground I visited in the islands. There's a pavilion one side, and a covered standing area, flanked by dugouts, opposite.

3777.jpg

2019 Friendly: En Avant Guingamp 2 SO Cholet 1 (1,200) at CS Pledrannais
No competitive football during last summer's holiday in Britanny but I squeezed in a couple of friendlies that were played on local lower grounds. This was the first, and was a big occasion for the host club, who must have made a fair bit of money as well. Shame more English sides don't play friendlies like this to help out their nearby non-League clubs.

4807.JPG

Loiner

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
None
1994- P S F. Bourne Town v Grantham Town 1-0.
1995- P S F York Railway Institute v York City 0-10. Opening match on new floodlit pitch.
2005- P SF Cottesmore v Stamford 1-3 at Oakham School.
The Summer League Cup Final. Alton v Doveridge 4-5 at Mappleton.
2011- Newlands Village Cup. Group B. Beldon Sports v Eccleshill United 1-2 on pitch 1 at Peel Park, Bradford.

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
True but you can’t exactly get back from Uruguay on a day return to see it, think I made the right choice
You did, I was one of the 702.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Sub
A couple of Pre Season Friendlies

Spelthorne Sports 2 Ashford Town (Middx) 0

Entry £4. Attendance - h/c 40.

A glorious summer evening and what better way to spend it than watching a meaningless friendly between two of my local sides in the company of almost no-one. Spelly scored on 16 and 68. This result was sort of reflected in the following season, where SS were battling for promotion from Step 5 and ATM were trying to avoid relegation from Step 4.

Staines Town 0 Barnet 2

Jefferson Louis made his debut for Staines in this match. Needless to say he didn't stay too long. Barnet scored on 3 and 44 through Watson.

Ellisref

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
2005 - Hamworthy United v Cobham Sports - linesman.
2017 - The usual railway offering - Bournemouth v Strawberry Hill at Brockenhurst College - referee.

The Willows

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Wednesday 16th July 2008

KIrkby Town 2 Mansfield Town XI 2 (380)

Having been relegated to the Conference, a Stags XI took on Central Midland League newcomers at the Summit Centre. This was the recycled Lowmoor Road ground where Sutton Town/Ashfield United played for around 20 years. I believe it is only in use today for youth team football.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Hopeful
2010 (Friday)

University College Dublin 4 Bray Wanderers 0
League of Ireland Premier Division
@ UCD Bowl; Adm: €15

A far more entertaining game than often the case in the LOI. Only some fine saves from both keepers kept the first half goalless.
On 51' Brian Kane in the Bray goal tipped another effort onto the bar, but the rebound fell kindly for Ciaran Kilduff to head into the empty net. Bray were furious, claiming Kilduff was offside, and Kane was booked for kicking the ball at the linesman. Bray, and Kane, then went to pieces with the keeper fumbling a cross to present Kilduff with a second on 54'. Kilduff completed his hattrick on 71', with sub Greg Bolger scoring the fourth on 75', two minutes after coming on.
There was still time for some late handbags with Chris Shields (Bray) and Bolger getting sent off.

The Students had moved across to the Bowl from Belfield Park on the other side of the campus in 2008. Spectator facilities are limited to one stand flanked by open seating and out of bounds grass banking. Somewhat surprisingly, the Bowl does meet UEFA standards which the former larger ground did not.

UCD.JPG

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Argentina (0) 0 West Germany (0) 0
World Cup Group B
Saturday 16th July, 1966
At Villa Park, Att.: 46,587

The second of my three group games at Villa Park and by far the most disappointing. Whereas the other two were entertaining with the focus on attacking, this was tetchy, negative and no sort of advert for the World Cup at all.
The main incident of note was the second half sending off of Argentine's Rafael Albrecht when his knee came into contact with Weber's 'groin area' with the ball not remotely nearby. In a trial run for their Quarter Final with England the poor referee was surrounded by Argentinian players and I believe even management, all of whom wished to 'discuss' the incident. Inevitably the Germans also got involved as they no doubt saw the chance of playing 25 minutes against ten men. While all this was going on, Albrecht was rolling around, making out he was the injured party.
Apart from the sending off, my main memory was of the incredible display of German flags on The Holte End, lots bearing messages of goodwill to England and Birmingham.
This game left the group table as: Argentina 3pts, West Germany 3pts, Spain 2pts and Switzerland 0pts. With Argentina's last game being against Switzerland, this point had left them in a very strong position to reach the Quarter Finals.
ARGENTINA: Roma, Perfumo, Marzolini, Ferreiro, Rattin, Albrecht, Solari, Gonzalez, Artime, Onega, Mas. (Manager - Juan Carlos Lorenzo)
WEST GERMANY: Tilkowski, Höttges, Schnellinger, Schulz, Weber, Beckenbauer, Brülls, Haller, Overath, Seeler, Held. (Manager - Helmut Schoen)

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
In 1995, I paid £5 to get into the Goldstone Ground to see "Tottenham Hotspur" play Osters IF of Sweden.
Both Spurs and Wimbledon had agreed with the FA, (and they thought with UEFA) that not only would the matches be played away from their home grounds, but that they would play a weak side and would be allowed loanees that would come in for the cup only.

Four of the Spurs players I saw on view 25 years ago were loan players who only played for them in the Intertoto. If we exclude Stephen Carr, then the total number of Spurs' first team appearances made by the XI I saw start would add up to under 100 - and that is including the 40 odd appearances these players made in the Intertoto.
For the interested among you the 4 loan platers were -
David Byrne / St Mirren. (4 apps I Toto)
Mark Newson / Barnet. (4)
Alan Pardew / Charlton.(4)
Ian Sampson / Northampton.(3)

Before that day 2 others in the game starting line up had not started for Spurs in League games , Jamie Clapham & Chris Day.(4 apps each I Toto).

Others-
Danny Hill ( 1 x I T) + 4 x Spurs starts.
Gerry McMahon (3 x I T) x 9 Spurs starts.
Steve Slade (4 x I T) + 1 x Spurs starts.
Kevin Walsh (4 x I T) + 4 Spurs starts.

Then as Leo mentioned Stephen Carr 200 + Spurs starts. (2 x I T).

So going into the Osters game apart from Carr 4 out of the squad had started in 18 Spurs League games.

If you'd have had accreditation :unsure: you could have seen ''Barry the Twit'' make a complete arse of himself in the post match interview with Spurs acting manager Chris Hughton.

Last edited:

Chris1963

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Another one I'd forgotten to include;

Saturday 16th July 1988 - Girondins Bordeaux 2 AJ Auxerre 0 (French top division, att 22,400)

This was a long trip but I had purchased a 3 day French rail pass (I think it cost me £55) which I used for the following weekend as well. The match was played at Bordeaux's old stadium and an A4 sized programme was available. It was quite an unusual issue as it included other sports played by Bordeaux, and it had a front cover photo of their recent English signing Clive Allen playing golf.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks