July 12th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
As I was brought up Catholic, (despite both protestant and jewish ancestry as well), I will not mention why today is the Glorious Twelftth. I am sure Hoddy has it on his list

Today (appaarently) is Julius Ceasar's birthday. I am not sure how he comes to be born in July as July is named after him, and therefore did not exist at the tiime

Anyway, now July 12th exists, lets here where you went on this day

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
2008. (Ta Lord Lucan , that's up to 6 readers now).

Saturday @ 18-00.
J League Div 1.
Tokyo Verdy 0 v 1 Kyoto Sanga.

@ Ajinomoto Stadium , Chofu City.
See the source image
--
Image result for Tokyo Verdy

Tokyo Verdy - Yoichi Doi , Daisuke Nasu , Yukio Tsuchiya , Toshihiro Hattori , Seitaro Tomisawa , Tomo Sugawara , Takashi Fukunishi ,Hiroki Kawano , Leandro , Hulk , Kazuki Hiramoto.
Subs - Kosei Shibasaki for Kawano , Kazunori Iio for Leandro , Masashi Oguro for Hiramoto.
Manager - Tetsuji Hashiratani.

Kyoto Sanga - Yuichi Muzutani , Hiroki Mizumoto , Yuki Okubo , Makoto Kakuda , Tatsuya Masushima , Sidiclei , Yusuke Nakatani , Yuto Sato , Fernandinho , Daigo Watanabe , Atsushi Yanagisawa (1).
Subs - Toshiya Ishii for Nakatani , Takenori Hayashi for Fernandinho , Yataka Tahara for Yanagisawa.
Manager - Hisashi Kato.

Referee - Hajime Matsuo.

Began onward travel on Thursday , starting from Manchester to Heathrow at 10-30 (BA1389) connecting into Heathrow to Tokyo at 13-45 (BA0005). This got me into Tokyo on Friday at 09-15.
First game was not until Saturday in Tokyo , I thought I would need 24 hours to get used to Tokyo , took me a lot longer than that. Would never have coped without local help.
First job was to get from Airport to Shinagawa where our apartment for 7 nights was.
Direct train to Shinagawa was straightforward with railway ticket office assistance but then to be out on the streets, we had a map and knew the general direction , but it took a while to get bearings and correct station exit.
I'd got a good deal on the Tobu just a five minute walk away , and we plonked into our decent room by about 17-00. Think it was about £40 per night , no breakfast. It did my head booking on line , futon beds , capsules , bunk beds , I'm afraid the cheaper end of the market is a no go for me , I like an en suite and bigger bed the better. Didn't feel like it but we had a walk about to find a supermarket and stock the fridge at the hotel room , that was a fiasco in the market but we got through the ordeal. Good job the Japanese are a nice bunch , and they all thought I was there for Sumo so they were very inquisitive.

The trip the next day to the ground was also interesting , it took me about an hour and a half but I got lost on Shinjuku station , remembered after that you need to know final destination of train. Such obvious things.
Had a feeling it was 2 changes before checking note book but it was just the one. Shinagawa to Shinjuku (Yamanote Line / every 5 / 20 min journey) , change , then Shinjuku to Tobitakyu ( Keio line / every 8 to 10 / 30 min journey ). Then a short walk to ground.

Bought a one day Tokyo ticket every day I was heading for football in Tokyo , it cost about £8 a time and covered Subway / Metro / Rail (not expresses) / Bus (All different company's for all). Couldn't find a longer term pass for everything , 5 day were available for Metro or Subway but not for all as far as I could see. It saved a lot of hassle and I also bought one for a non football day and just went here there and everywhere ( sightseeing , not really).

Even tried the Baird Taproom in Tokyo , newly opened in the April ?. One of the first real ale bars in Tokyo. Not too expensive either.

The game was a relegation battle , in an 18 club division with 2 automatically down and third bottom plays third in J2 in a 2 game play/off.
Tokyo Verdy were 11th going into this game and Kyoto 15th , it was all pretty close at the bottom. The attendance was poor as was the game with only a 30th minute goal by Atsushi Yanagisawa to separate the teams.
Verdy had a poor finish to the season and finished 2nd bottom and got relegated even with all those on very large wages Leandro and Hulk etc , just Consadole Sapporo below them.

Kyoto finished 15th and avoided the dreadedl play offs on goal difference.
The promotion / relegation play / off was J1 third bottom Jubilo Iwata against 3rd in J2 Vegalta Sendai. Jubilo won 3-2 0n aggregate .

Both Verdy and fellow ground sharers FC Tokyo play odd games at the National Stadium , FC Tokyo may feature on here on the 16th there. Verdy had 2 there and FC Tokyo 3 league games there this season.

おやすみ

15 x games (13+2 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's.3 x doubles. Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock13 x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.
1966 Brazil 2 v 0 Bulgaria.
1979 Atlanta Chiefs 3 v 4 (Shoot out) Dallas.
2006 Metalurgs 1 v 0 Aktobe.
2014 FC Minsk 1 v 0 Dnepr Mogilev.

Last edited: 26 minutes ago
--------------1943---------------------------------------------------1998-----------------------------
--TBT! France v Brazil 1998 World Cup Final: Where are they now? As ...

Last edited:

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
1992 Flamengo 3 Botafogo 0 crowd 102,541
Brazilian Championship Final 1st leg
Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The last of three games at this iconic stadium that I managed to get to in a week in Rio and the biggest crowd I have ever been part of, saw quite a few people jumping the turnstiles as well so it was probably bigger than the figure announced. After a marathon season the players could have been excused for being knackered but the larger crowd seemed to inspire Flamengo as Junior put them 1-0 up after 15 minutes and 2 more goals from Nelio and Gaucho gave them a 3-0 half time lead. In the second half there were no more goals and it ended 3-0 to give Flamengo a massive lead before the second leg the following weekend by which time I would have left the country.
Unfortunately, the second leg which ended 2-2 was marred by a tragedy when a barrier in the upper tier gave way and fans fell from the top to the bottom tier resulting in 3 deaths and 50 injured, given the state of the ground which was pretty poor this wasn’t a massive surprise although no one could imagine going to a football match and not coming home. A very sad postscript to my time in Brazil.
CB5382E9-323E-43F5-89F0-38CFCB8B2FF1.jpeg
2019 Kaiserslautern 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 pre season friendly
Played at the ground of SV Weingarten crowd 970

Although not a fan of pre season friendlies, I couldn’t miss the chance to see Wimbledon play 2 friendlies in 2 days in Germany especially as I could get back home in time to watch the cricket World Cup final, which was unlikely to be shown in that country. I got the 8.30am flight from London Heathrow to Frankfurt, arriving mid morning and got a train south towards the small town of Weingarten, stopping off in Speyer to have a look at the famous cathedral there.
There was only one small hotel in town and luckily another Wimbledon fan I knew there, even more fortuitous he had booked a cab with another fan to the ground which was in the adjoining village which although only a couple of miles away was too far to walk given the heat so I jumped in. Before the game the weather broke with a torrential thunderstorm and lightning and I was thinking I’d come all the way to Germany only to have the game called off but just as the 7pm kick off approached the rain stopped abruptly and the game started. Even though it’s only a year ago I don’t recall a lot about the actual match but Kaiserslautern were fitter and sharper as their season started the following weekend whereas Wimbledon’s didn’t till the start of August so a first half goal gave the home side a 1-0 win. Quite an interesting experience, much more so than the average friendly, and even though we lost the 70 or so Wimbledon fans had a good time and were warmly welcomed.81BA0F9D-230C-499E-9DF1-E0AA9BF1A8F2.jpegC76AEDA6-4856-4FE2-A58A-D472A6040FD6.jpeg

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Only two games for me on todays list, in 2007 and 2008

2007 - Asian Cup. Vietnam 1-1 Qatar. Attendance: 40,000
Vietnam had opened their account with a 2-0 win over UAE, while Qatar had drawn with the cup holders, Japan. It looked good for the host nation when they went ahead in the first half, but as against Japan, Qatar's Uruguayan born mercenary Sebastian Sorria scored an equaliser.

2008 - First game of the season, a long weekend in Finland. My first visit. I travelled with Ryanair and took the bus for about 2 hours from their Helsinki airport (aka Tampere). We must have passed close to the main stadium on the way into town, but not early enough for me to wonder if I could get a ticket for Bruce Springsteen. It was probably sold out anyway. Now Springsteen is a much better musician than me, but at some things we are roughly equal in ability. This did not prevent a crowd from gathering outside his hotel to watch him exit and enter a waiting car. I can do that!

I spent the morning wandering around the fine city of Helsinki, before heading to a local match in Kakkonen (the third tier).
IF Gnistan 2-2 Warkaus JK. Admission €5, Programe Free. Attendance 120
And obviously the choice for tweet of the day.
(I have no match photos from Asian 2007. I think this was not allowed)

The ground, easily reached by local train from the centre is inside a track and next to a sports hall. A large bank of open seating exisits on one side, with refreshments served from under a gazebo. Gnistan were a goal up in the first half. Warkaus then turned them over to lead 2-1, with the home equaliser in injury time.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
No football for this date, rugby league does provide

2003 Luton Vipers - 20 South Norfolk Saints - 28 @ Stockwood Park RUFC

2008 Huddersfield Underbank Rangers - 102 East Lancs Lions - 2

2008 Wakefield Wildcats - 18 Hull FC - 26

Running wise we have

1978 Southern Counties AAA Open Meeting - Crystal Palace 3000 metres 9-16.0 (PB at the time)

1986 Norwich Carnival Mile 4-33 2nd

1997 Lord Mayor's 5k 16-48 15th

2014 Catton parkrun (41) 23-36 36th

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
2000 UEFA Champions League Preliminary Round
Total Network Solutions v Levadia Maardu (at Wrexham FC) 2-2
2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Rhewl Drew 3-3
2004 North Wales Times Shield First Round Nantglyn v Trefnant 1-2
2007 North Wales Times Shield First Round Replay
Caerwys v Henllan Lost 2-2 (penalties 5-3) (Aet 90 mins 2-2)
2010 North Wales Times Shield First Round Cefn v Nantglyn 5-3
2011 North Wales Times Shield Semi-final Llanrhaeadr v Llandyrnog 1-3 (aet 90 mins 1-1)
2013 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Final (@ Rhewl) Llandyrnog v Ysceifiog Lost 5-0
2014 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Premier Division Lock Lane v Thatto Heath Crusaders 20-18
A great game. The venue was tightly enclosed and railed but had no cover. There was a programme.
2016 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Semi-final (@ Caerwys) Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd v Henllan Lost 5-4
The double was denied

hantslondoner

Youth Team Sub
Two more pre-season friendlies, again covered on the old WDYG, at a couple of rarer venues (for me):

2014 - 1500 KO - Alresford T. 3 New Milton T 2 @Wellington Sports Ground, Eastleigh
Decent passing games by both sides. Alresford, with mostly new players, as last season's manager and most of the squad decamped to Winchester, conceded a goal early in each half but came back well in both to prevail. The visitors looked quite good, but neither team pulled up any trees this season.
Wellington is on the other side of the road from the Silverlake, it houses the sports facilities of two independent schools and looked very well-kept, with 4-5 pitches and a large pavilion. The car park is used for overflow parking when Eastleigh are at home.

2018 - 1915 KO - Kennington Athletic 5 Abingdon T XI/Dev 1 @Cutteslowe Park, Oxford
On the way back from a trip oop North, this was a nice evening in the sun at the Lower Pavilion part of a large park off the Ring Road near to the A34 Peartree exit. The home team took an early lead, but were pegged back on 20 mins. They took the lead again before half time and then dominated the second half as the Abbots changed to a high defensive line and got caught out.
Kenny seem to finish a perpetual third in the Oxfordshire Senior League, the Abbots just avoided relegation having come up to the Hellenic Div 1 East, but were struggling in 2019-20.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Nine years ago this match didn't inspire me to write very much on the old forum:

July 12th 2011
Pre Season Friendly
Raith Rovers v Morecambe, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att c.500, Admission £10, No Programmes, Steak Pie and Coffee £3.30
at Stark's Park

This was not the most exciting of pre-season matches with Raith marginally the better of two poor teams. Both goals were scored in the closing 15 minutes - Alessandro converting a low cross to sidefoot Morecambe ahead. Within five minutes or so Raith produced an equaliser from John Baird with a goal he created and scored. His powerful run took him from half way to the edge of the box, and when he played the ball wide it was returned to the centre and he scored an 'in off' via the post.

Raith challenged for promotion to the SPL last season but if this is the extent of their squad then they'll be nearer the other end of the table in 2011/12.

The whole ground was opened for this match - not because of any great fears about the couple of dozen travelling Morecambe fans - but as a 'dry run' for this season's stewarding arrangements. Appropriately enough the Morecambe fans were in the Val McDermid stand - their team looked murder.

Raith haven't done programmes for pre-season games in recent years and there was none for this game. In previous seasons they have made team sheets freely available but this has been stopped for resons of economy. Instead the teams are displayed on notices inside the various stands.

Picture of Oor Lorraine shaking hands witrh a Morecambe player

raith v moirecambe.jpg

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1999 Derbyshire Summer Lge: Bradley 3 FC Hulland 6 (att 51)
On the village playing field at Mapleton/Mappleton, which is one of those places with alternative spellings.

1808.jpg

2000 UEFA Champions Lfe, 1st qual rnd, 1st leg: TNS 2 Levadia Maardu 2 (1,432) at Wrexham FC
Same game as Wiretown.Editor, and a revisit to the Racecourse Ground.

2003 Friendly: Dinnington Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday XI 1 (250)
I don't often tick 'proper' grounds for friendlies these days but alternative matches close to home
must have been thin on the ground.

2347.jpg

2006 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 2: Myerscough College 2 Kenlis Arms 1 (12)
My notebook tells me this didn't kick off until 7.55pm, and was reduced to 35 minutes halves. Myerscough's summer league pitch had been relocated since an earlier visit in 2001.

2788.jpg

2008 Friendly: Hutton Cranswick United 4 Scarborough Athletic 4 (200)
Another friendly I can remember little about, but the scoreline suggests an entertaining afternoon.

3131.jpg

2011 Lochaber Welfare Lge: Lundavra 0 Ballachulish United 2 (16) at Canal Park, Caol
Sadly the Fort William-centered Lochaber League is no more. Most sides played on pitches in and around the town, and this was at Caol, just north of Fort William. Two days later I saw another Lundavra home fixture, but at a different ground.

3614.jpg

2014 Friendly: Chadderton 2 Runcorn Town 0 (30) at Oasis Academy, Oldham
This PSF on a school 3G turned out to be an accidental revisit. It was only once I got home and looked to see what had been on the site before the new-looking school was built that I realised it had previously an imposing mill building, and the pitch was on the site of the Oak Pit Colliery ground, where I'd seen AFC Oldham in 2009. The pitch had been rotated 90 degrees, turned into a 3G, and was unrecognisable, but by my rules it wasn't a new ground. It's not bad for a 3G though, with a steep terrace behind the goal, albeit outside the fence.

Last edited:

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Football:
1997- The Summer League Cup Final at Mappleton. Coach & Horses v Mayfield 0-3.
2004- Llandyrnog & Dist. Village Clubs Summer League Cup 1st round. Llanrhaedr v Clawdnewydd 4-2.
2011- Bradford Sunday Cup. Group A. Cuedos Rangers v Hare & Hounds 8-2.
Rugby League:
2004- Yorkshire Inter League Tournament. Castleford / Featherstone v Leeds 19-16 at Castleford Panthers.
2014- Yorkshire Men's Group 1. Birstall Victoria v Airedale Cougars 52-16 at Lee Side School.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Football
Sunday 12th July 2015
Pre Season Friendly
Lowestoft v Luton Town at Crown Meadow Lowestoft
Score 1-2 half time 0-1 Attendance 528
Admission £7 Programme £1.50 double issue with Camb Utd friendly
A grey damp showery afternoon more akin to November than July
saw Lowestoft take on a youthful Luton side. A reasonable game
in which Luton led at half time thanks to a Mustapha Tiryaki header.
The same player scored a second goal after the break again with another
header before Lowestoft pulled one back through Bradley Woods-Garness'
Since moving to East Anglia I always enjoy going
to Crown Meadow as it seems a proper old fashioned non league
with wooden tip up seats in the stand and some terracing in the corner.

Cricket
Wednesday 12th July 2000
Tour Match Day 1 of 4
Hampshire v New Zealand A at United Services Ground Portsmouth
Score at end of day Hampshire 204 all out New Zealand 97 for 3
Admission Free think I used my Kent membership reciprocal arrangement
Scorecard issued
A decent days cricket Hampshire looked in deep trouble at 27 for 3
but Jason Laney scored 49 and Hampshire's tail wagged a bit enabling
them to reach 204. Chris Tremlett made his debut for Hampshire and
claimed the wicket of Mark Richardson with his first ball.
Despite being dismissed for 153 on the second day New Zealand A
went on to win the match by two wickets on the fourth day.

Rugby League
Saturday 12th June 2003
Rugby League Division 3
Coventry Bears v Huddersfield Underbank at Coundon Rd Coventry
Score Coventry 24 Huddersfield Underbank 30 half time 12-8
Admission £3 including programme
A very good match in which the lead changed hands 4 times.
Huddersfield played well in a very hard fought
second half in which both sides had a player sent off.
Glad I got to this old fashioned venue before it was demolished
to make way for housing in 2004

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 12th July 2003

Teversal 0 Mansfield Town XI 4 (558)

Our youth team were using Carnarvon Street at the time and a guy I worked with was playing for Teversal. Big difference in levels of fitness.

The vulture

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Groundhog
Friendly @ Nympsfield Road :
Forest Green Rovers 2 Swindon Town 3
Att 1,425 Prog £2

The 1st game at what is now referred to as the New Lawn and in a typical friendly match fashion Swindon boss Dennis Wise (I don't remember either) played a different side in each half....loads of triallists pretty much none ever heard of again. The Town winner was a fine strike from Christian Roberts. Most popular individual for the away support was the FGR 1st team coach, the legend that is (to my generation, a bit too young for the Don Rogers era) Shaun Taylor.

The prog covered 3 home games : Swindon, AFC Bristol (1982) and Hereford. I guess the game on the 15th which I believe to be the official ground opener against local big club Sunderland must've had its own programme.

For this game just the 2 sides were open ; the main stand and the shallow uncovered terrace opposite it. One of the covered ends was complete and looked usable whilst the other end was still some way off being ready to accommodate spectators.

By this time all remains of The Lawn had been bulldozed.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Nothing more than...

Friday 12th July 2013~
Pre-season friendly
Abingdon Town 2-10 Didcot Town

ThorsHammer

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Derby County . St Johnstone
2005 PSF Redditch United v Watford 0 - 3
2008 PSF Great Yarmouth Town v Clyde 0 - 4

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks