January 26

IAN S

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1980 Hallam 3 Mexborough Town 1 Senior Cup (round unknown)
1982 Blades 0 Darlington 0 L4 Att 11,517
1985 Blades 2 Wolves 2 L2 Att 9,141
1988 Maltby MW 1 Stocksbridge PS 1 NCE League Cup 2nd round AET (1-1)
1991 Blades 1 Derby 0 L1
1992 Charlton 0 Blades 0 FA Cup 4th round @ Upton Park
2002 Preston 2 Blades 1 FA Cup 4th round
2010 Blades 3 Reading 0 L1 HT 1-0
2011 Cotgrave Welfare 2 Basford United 4 Notts Senior League HT 1-1 Att 28
2019 Bugbrooke St Michaels 1 Lutterworth Athletic 0 UCL 1 HT 0-0 Att 30

Rugby League
2008 Queens 27 Hull Dockers 11 BARLA National Cup 2nd round HT 6-8 @ Busvale. Queens were actually a decent side when they weren't brawling. They would end up banned because of this.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
1980 Hounslow 1 Chelmsford City 0, Southern League. Attendance about 130.

My second ever non league ground after following Chelmsford for a few years at home. Chelmsford were at a very low ebb at this point, having even been knocked out of the FA Cup by Parsons Drove on their roped off pitch a few months previously. As a result they only took only a dozen or so die hards to the much missed Denbigh Road ground, on which now stands a school. I went by train, having convinced my parents to let me go, (I was still at school) taking the Piccadilly line for what seemed an eternity to Hounslow East and then a 10-15 minute stroll to the ground. I remember visiting a very good fish and chip shop on the way, and a sign of the times is that when I was in the area a few years ago it was now a kebab / burgers / chicken outlet.
Hounslow won with a goal in the first half and Chelmsford enjoyed a lot of possession but had very little up front.
So Denbigh Road became only my 9th ground (I think) and although I think the ground was not at the time regarded as one of the better grounds, it would now be treasured as a thing of beauty, and be more than adequate compared to many of those that have arisen since.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Ipswich had beaten us 3-0 at Ashton Gate on the 19th in front of 14,218 but, as was the lure of the FA Cup in those days, over five thousand more people turned up the next week to see the same teams play in the 4th Round.

I'm really fed up with attendances , your figure tallies with worldfussball.,net.
The 2 sites I use 11v11 has 15,119 and one I pay an annual fee for has it as 15,004.

Not anything like each other so no odd slips :mad:
I think my best is 6 different attendances for one game , I give up.

Last edited:

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Meagre offering on this date:
1991- NCEL Div.2. Kiveton Park v Fryston Colliery Welfare 3-3.
2002- Essex Senior League Cup 1st round. Enfield Town v Leyton 0-2 Abandoned at half time due to waterlogging.
2008- West Yorkshire Div.2. Brighouse Old Boys v Great Preston 3-1.

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 26th January 1980
Blackburn Rovers 1 Coventry City 0
FA Cup.4th Round.

This was typical Coventry! A week after deservedly beating top of the table Liverpool,they go away to a Third Division team in the FA Cup and get turned over! Coventry had a young team and the conditions didn;t help.The pitch was half frozen and Blackburn's experienced team,led by player-manager,Howard Kendall adapted far better to the conditions.Andy Crawford got the only goal of the game after 9 minutes with a header.Blackburn easily saw the game out against the Sky Blues youngsters.
Attendance of 20,785 including 5,000 from Coventry.
Blackburn went out in the 5th Round after a replay to Aston Villa but gained promotion at the end of the season whilst Coventry ended up in 15th place.

Blackburn : Jim Arnold,Jim Branagan,Mike Rathbone,Howard Kendall,Glenn Keeley,Derek Fazackerley,
Noel Brotherton,Andy Crawford,Simon Garner,Duncan McKenzie,Tony Parkes.

Coventry : Jim Blyth,Mick Coop,Bobby MacDonald,Ray Gooding,Paul Dyson,Gary Gillespie,
Tommy English,Ian Wallace,Mark Hateley,Andy Blair,Tommy Hutchison.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Star

Conference South

Staines Town 0 Eastbourne Borough 2

Goals from Charles (45) and Walker (69 pen) settled this one.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 26th January 1974
Southern League Division 1 North Kick off 1500
Merthyr Tydfil 1 Banbury Utd 5 at Pennydarren Park
Three weeks earlier the two teams had drawn 2-2 at Banbury. Several carloads
travelled to Merthyr hoping that Banbury would get at least a draw and maybe a win.
Merthyr at this time were managed by John Charles and he played in this match.,
Merthyr were three down at the interval as Banbury as notched up one of their
biggest ever Southern League away wins, I certainly cannot recall ever seeing
a bigger away win. Think Banbury's biggest Southern League away score is a
7-0 victory at Gravesend in the opening match of the 1967/68 season and I was
definitely not at that game.

Saturday 26th January 1990
FA Vase 4th Round Replay Kick off 1415
Cammell Laird v Glossop at Kirklands St Peters Rd
Score 2-1 half time 0-1 Attendance around 300 Admission £2 Programme 30p
I had really enjoyed the 2-2 draw at Glossop the previous Saturday so travelled
by train to Cammell Laird for the replay. Think this was an even better game than
the previous week a proper cup tie with goalmouth action at both ends.
Glossop led after 7 minutes when Thompson scored with a long range which saw
Lairds keeper Stewart stood rooted on his line as the ball flew into the net.
Cammell Laird then played some lovely football and hit the cross bar three times
in the first half. Glossop enjoyed a good spell at the start of the second half and
twice Stewart saved well for Cammell Laird. Laird then worked hard to get back
into the match and were unlucky to hit a post when they were well on top.

Just as it seemed as if Glossop would hold out Cammell Laird got two lucky
breaks, firstly after 75 minutes a ball bounced off Glossop defender straight
into the path of Granville who smashed the ball home to make it 1-1.
Then with 7 minutes left a Glossop defender sliced a clearance straight to
the same player who scored despite two Glossop defenders being present on the
goal line. A memorable game and win for Cammell Laird who then lost
3-2 at home to Harwich and Parkeston in the next round.

Tuesday 26th January 1993
Friendly Sittingbourne v Tottenham XI at Central Park
Score 0-1 half time 0-1 Attendance 5,951 Programme £1
Back in the early nineties Sittingbourne still had money from the sale of the
Bull Ground and at this time employed a full time commercial and marketing
manager. He certainly did a good job in publicising this game as an astonishing
crowd turned up for the match., This attendance beat the ground record of
5,583 for the Bull Ground so is on these figures the highest crowd ever for a
football match held in Sittingbourne. However I would add that quite a few
people present thought the crowd numbered no more than 3,500 to 4,000 but
5,951 was the official attendance given.

Spurs played several players with first team experience including Terry Fenwick,
Andy Gray, Steve Sedgley and Gudni Bergsson. Kevin Watson scored the only
goal midway through the first half after a neat passing move, Simon Beard
came nearest for Sittingbourne when he hit the post.
Spurs missed a number of clear cut chances in the second half with Terry
Fenwick missing a penalty which was well saved by Andy Hough.

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
I'm really fed up with attendances , your figure tallies with worldfussball.,net.
The 2 sites I use 11v11 has 15,119 and one I pay an annual fee for has it as 15,004.

Not anything like each other so no odd slips :mad:
I think my best is 6 different attendances for one game , I give up.
Well, at least my source agrees with your figure for the cup game.

stingray

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Just the one -

26 January 2008 - Cinderford Town 1-1 Leighton Town (Southern League Midlands)

huttonpark

Junior Team Star
Saturday 26 January 1974
F A Amateur Cup Second Round
Ilford 3 Brockenhurst 0
Programme 4p

Ilford were on a roll in the Amateur Cup in what was the last season that it was played. There was a good attendance for this game with a large contingent from Brock and they certainly gave their team plenty of vocal support. Brock had beaten St Albans in the First Round and it was end to end stuff to begin with but gradually Ilford got on top and by the finish ran out comfortable winners. The Brock supporters excused their team's defeat by saying 'we're only a village team'.

Saturday 26 January 1991
Vauxhall (Isthmian) League Division 2 North
Billericay Town 1 Basildon United 0
Attendance 312
Programme 30p

A local derby but I can't remember anything about this game.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
1983 Aston Villa 3 Barcelona 0(aet) crowd 31,570
European Super Cup, Villa Park

I had been to a few European games in London but this was the first time I’d ventured out of the capital. I had seen Barcelona kick Spurs off the park in the previous year’s Cup Winners Cup semi final so I was firmly on the side of Villa in this one. The previous week in the away leg Barca had won 1-0 with a Marcos Alonso goal so the tie was set up nicely for this second leg. I don’t recall too much about the detail but the atmosphere was great, very partisan, and looking at the teams of the 11 players and 2 subs Villa had 9 English and 4 Scots whereas Barca had 12 Spaniards and only Bernd Schuster the German as a foreigner, seem to recall Spain was very strict about that in those days. After much huffing and puffing and a lot of time wasting from the Catalans Gary Shaw eventually scored with 10 minutes to go to send the crowd wild and the game into extra time. Unfortunately I had to leave to get my last train back to London at that point so I missed the two goals from Gordon Cowans(100) and Ken Mcnaught(104) that clinched the tie but it was a pretty good first game at Villa Park.

Also at this one and able to stay to the end.
AV.JPG
Barca's tactics at Spurs had been well reported and they certainly lived down to expectations here. The highlights below capture some of the incidents, including keeper Urruti literally kicking Cowans up the air when the latter went to retrieve the ball after scoring. Villa captain for the night McNaught then put on a display of shadow boxing - no doubt many in the crowd were anticipating a square go.

Although Barca were main culprits, Villa had their moments. Peter Withe, certainly no shrinking violet, managed to elbow Migueli in the face without attracting the attention of the referee.

Afterwards, a UEFA official said "We are all getting sick and fed up with Barcelona behaving in this way. Football has a bad enough reputation as it is and they are making it worse.” Barca were fined £20k and given a final warning.

This article puts some flesh on the bones and is well worth a read;

Last edited:

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Star
Five standouts:

Bolton Wanderers 2 Halifax Town 0 (FA Cup, Round Four, 3pm, 21,085)

A red-letter day for the Halifax faithful. About 6,000 Shaymen (4,500 glory hunters, then) made the short trip across the Pennines to Burnden Park, hoping Town could follow up their stunning third-round home victory over top-flight Manchester City.

It was a disappointing afternoon, for two reasons: Ian Greaves’s Bolton, struggling at the bottom of the First Division, were there for the taking yet Fourth Division Town delivered an oddly inhibited, unadventurous performance - a wasted opportunity; my dad, doubtless keen to make the most of a special occasion, splashed out for seats (we always stood). Unfortunately, we found ourselves stuck behind a goal in the low Little Lever end stand. Its plastic seats had merely been plonked on terracing. The sightlines were dreadful.

Wanderers stalwart Roy Greaves - more than 500 games for the club - put Bolton ahead in the 32nd minute. Halifax were in contention until second half stoppage time, when at our end, Neil Whatmore, getting on the end of a Mike Walsh cross, scrambled in the clincher. Despite Bolton’s win, Greaves was sacked on the Monday.

I returned several times to Burnden Park, a functional ground, albeit to watch rugby league. Its undersoil heating came in handy for live TV games! A supermarket now covers the site.

Trotters: Seamus McDonagh, Peter Nicholson, David Burke, Roy Greaves, Sam Allardyce, Mike Walsh, Willie Morgan, Neil Whatmore, Michael Carter, Neil McNab, Peter Reid.

Shaymen: John Kilner, Chris Dunleavy, Geoff Hutt, Dave Evans, Don Goodman, Paul Hendrie, Franny Firth, Mick Kennedy, Peter Burke, John Smith, Andy Stafford.

Stenhousemuir 2 Albion Rovers 0 (Scottish League, Division Two, 3pm, 337)

Ochilview was a ground I’d looked forward to visiting since reading about it in the second of Simon Inglis’s seminal stadium surveys, which extended into Scotland. This was a day trip from Cumbria. My mate, accountant Ian, gallantly shouldered the driving burden. On this occasion, I guess we’d have gone via the Kincardine Bridge.

Stenhousemuir was a name, read out on the weekly football results, that fired my childhood imagination. It turned out to be a wholly unremarkable village!

Victory over Davie Provan’s Rovers saw Stenny end a run of six games without a win. We’d watched the Coatbridge men, the previous Saturday, held at home by Berwick Rangers. In his match programme notes, manager Jim Meakin spent the thick end of a column bemoaning Warriors’ ill luck.

Allen Bell set Stenny on their way with a goal in the second minute. A 77th-minute penalty from substitute Tony Spiers, who’d been on the field only seven minutes, put the outcome beyond doubt.

I returned to Ochilview, in 2009, for an East Stirlingshire versus Queen’s Park game (a mad dash after discovering at the turnstile Kelty Hearts weren’t issuing, despite a prior indication to the contrary). Modernised (read: most interesting stand razed), with a plastic pitch, it’s no longer the ground I remember and liked.

Stenny: Charlie Kelly, Neil Aitken, Eddie Hallford, Harry Cairney, Kevin Tracey, Paul Anderson, Allen Bell, Lee Bullen (Bruce Clouston, HT), Stevie McCormick (Tony Spiers, 70), Brian Kemp, Colin Walker.

Rovers: Rab McCulloch, Graham Millar, Jim Cousin (Jim Henderson, 60), Ewan Watson (Iain Stalker, 67), Brian McGuinness, Robert Clark, Mike McAnenay, Steve Cadden, Billy Ferguson, Lex Richardson, Des McKeown.

Dundee United 6 Berwick Rangers 0 (Scottish Cup, Round Three, 3pm, 6,207)

We (my mate, Ian, and I) had been at Station Park, Forfar, the previous afternoon and stayed over in what marketing drones have since rebranded The City of Discovery.

Dundee United manager Jim McLean delivered on a promise to go for goals. His Terrors led 4-0 after 40 minutes. A string of saves from Berwick keeper Derek Neilson prevented humiliation. Duncan Ferguson scored a hat-trick, with skipper Maurice Malpas, Vic Ferreyra and John O’Neil getting the others. All the goals came in the opening hour. Captain Willie Garner, denied in the first half by keeper Guido Van de Kamp, went closest for Borderers.

We sat in the quirky, L-shaped main stand. A mid-teen lass behind us threatened to damage our eardrums irreparably by yelling ‘C’mon, Mixu’ every 30 seconds. Must say I’d like to go back to Tannadice. After its all-seat transformation, it looks - on TV’s Sportscene - a very tidy stadium. And who can resist a vivid splash of tangerine in a grey, urban setting?

Terrors: Guido Van de Kamp, John Clark, Maurice Malpas, Dave Bowman, Freddy Van der Hoorn, Jim McInally, John O’Neil, Darren Jackson (Gary Bollan), Vic Ferreyra, Duncan Ferguson (Paddy Connolly), Mixu Paatelainen.

Borderers: Derek Neilson, Mark Cass, Jackie O’Donnell, Graeme Davidson, Willie Garner, Gordon Leitch (Tommy Graham), Ralph Callachan (Justin McGovern), Brian Thorpe, Kevin Todd, Martin Neil, Steve Bickmore.

MK Dons 0 Rochdale 1 (League Two, 3pm, 7,882)

Leaders MK suffered a third straight 0-1 defeat as Dale remained unbeaten away since the season's opening day. A nerve-tingling contest that lived up to its billing.

MK saw an early effort cleared off the line. Then, in the 13th minute, Dale defender Nathan Stanton was sent off after Dean Lewington fell over his tackle in the box. Dale keeper Sam Russell ensured justice was done by saving MK skipper Keith Andrews’s penalty. The visitors got everyone behind the ball but broke away for captain Gary Jones (32) to score.

In the second half, MK struck the inside of a post, saw two efforts cleared off the line and Russell made two fabulous saves inside a minute. A pitch sprinkler burst into life. No sooner had it been dealt with, another began spouting water. Quite an afternoon!

A typically dull new stadium, which, if I remember the road signs correctly, is in Bletchley ('Home of the Codebreakers') rather than Milton Keynes. The short-lived, razed National Hockey Stadium was the more interesting home for MK FC. Unfit for purpose, I suppose. Milton Keynes is a bit careless over its sports stadia. In addition to losing the hockey stadium, it has also allowed to be demolished The Groveway (greyhounds and speedway) and Elfield Park (speedway). Any others?

Doncaster Rovers 0 Gillingham 1 (Division Four, 7.30pm, 3,059)

As a seven-year-old, I found football under floodlights super exciting. This was a Friday game hence not a ‘school night’. My dad would have us walk - my little legs pumping - to Belle Vue from our home on the Bessacarr/Cantley border. Must’ve been at least two miles. I imagine, on this occasion, he spared me the return trek. We probably took the bus, through Cantley.

Goodison Boulevard and Somerton Drive were at either end of our road. Many roads, though not ours, in the district were/are named after football grounds: Anfield, Blundell, Ewood, Highbury, Hillsborough, Millmoor, Ninian, Selhurst and Sincil are other prefixes. There is a Villa Park Road and a cul-de-sac called The Shay (which figures). There must've been a football fan in the council planning department!

Other sports:

Two ties in rugby league’s Challenge Cup: in 1997, I was amid a sparse gathering of 647 at Huntington Stadium to watch National Conference League amateurs Dudley Hill spring a major surprise by beating semi-professional third round hosts York 21-14. York, whose season was just starting, looked rusty compared to their mid-campaign visitors from Bradford. In 2019, I was at Scawthorpe, on the outskirts of Doncaster, to watch an all-amateur first round tie between Bentley and Royal Air Force. A good crowd of 650 at Woodside Playing Field saw the home team win 18-16 after trailing on the hour.
I was at that Dundee United v Berwick game we stood with the Berwick fans on the terrace beside that stand you were in.
At the time there was real danger of Berwick folding.
Thinking about it it would have been the last time I was at the ground in that form.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
I was at that Dundee United v Berwick game we stood with the Berwick fans on the terrace beside that stand you were in.
At the time there was real danger of Berwick folding.
Thinking about it it would have been the last time I was at the ground in that form.
Yes, I see the individual who wrote a column, headed Berwick's Final Fling?, in the match programme questioned whether his article would see the light of day, "such is the precarious nature of Berwick's financial status". It explains Rangers were £250,000 in debt and arguing over their lease with Shielfield's greyhound promoter, Gordon Grant. Rangers were having talks with the local council in the hope of reallocating to them the stadium's lease. Aren't Rangers now a sub-tenant of the Bandits speedway team?

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1987 Gilbert Rice Cup, 1st rnd, 2nd leg: Horndean 0 Dorking 4 1-6 on agg (48)
I don't know who Gilbert Rice was, but he had a floodlit cup competition named after him.

1991 Herefordshire Challenge Cup, 3rd rnd: Ledbury Town '84 2 Pegasus Juniors 1 aet (70)
This was something a cup shock as Ledbury were in the Herefordshire League. The ground was in a very poor state at that time, and I remember the clubhouse was derelict.

1993 Football Lge, Div 2: Chester City 2 Preston North End 4 (2,901)
A midweek journey to tick off the Deva Stadium.

1999 Scottish Lge, Div 3: Queen's Park 4 Stenhousemuir 1 (383)
A Tuesday night in Glasgow for a game at Lesser Hampden, which Queen's Park were using at the time as the main stadium was being refurbished. I ticked Lesser Hampden before seeing a match (Scotland v England) at Hampden Park.

2002 Humber Premier Lge: Hider Foods 3 Westella and Willerby 1 (22)
Hider Foods, who subsequently became Hessle Rangers, played on a pitch at the Blackburn Sports Club in Brough. Visitors Westella and Willerby had moved in by the time I returned seven years later to see them at home on a different pitch.

11am Premier Academy Lge: West Ham United U18 3 Charlton Athletic U18 3 (98)
2pm Essex Olympian Lge, Div 2: Newham United 1 Hutton 1 (20)
4.15pm Middlesex County Lge, Premier Div: Bethnal Green United 1 Sutton Common Rovers 2 (8)

A treble thanks to a late afternoon kick off at Bethnal Green's floodlit Meath Gardens pitch (pictured below). Bethnal Green became Tower Hamlets and moved out, I don't know if anyone plays there now?
3048.jpg

2013 Welsh Alliance, Div 1: Bodedern Athletic 0 Denbigh Town 1 (40)
Same game as Leo, but I counted 10 fewer spectators. Perhaps one of us used an ‘official’ figure from the Welsh Alliance website.
3846.jpg

1.15pm Liverpool County Premier Lge, Premier Div: East Villa 6 Alumni 3 (10)
3.15pm Liverpool County Premier Lge, Premier Div: BRNESC 1 Liverpool NALGO 4 (35)

Games on two of the three artificial pitches at the Jeffrey Humble ground in Fazakerley, Liverpool.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
2013 Welsh Alliance, Div 1: Bodedern Athletic 0 Denbigh Town 1 (40)
Same game as Leo, but I counted 10 fewer spectators. Perhaps one of us used an ‘official’ figure from the Welsh Alliance website.

Thw website probably had it down as over a hundred

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
1987 Gilbert Rice Cup, 1st rnd, 2nd leg: Horndean 0 Dorking 4 1-6 on agg (48)
I don't know who Gilbert Rice was, but he had a floodlit cup competition named after him.

I don't know how many games you have seen in the Gilbert Rice Cup, but it is quite a coincidence that we have both seen Horndean lost 4-0 on 26 January, my viewing being four years before yours.

Gilbert Rice was the name of a car dealership

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Star
Yes, I see the individual who wrote a column, headed Berwick's Final Fling?, in the match programme questioned whether his article would see the light of day, "such is the precarious nature of Berwick's financial status". It explains Rangers were £250,000 in debt and arguing over their lease with Shielfield's greyhound promoter, Gordon Grant. Rangers were having talks with the local council in the hope of reallocating to them the stadium's lease. Aren't Rangers now a sub-tenant of the Bandits speedway team?
I believe the lease is held by the BR supporters club.
That season they were locked out of Shielfield and played games at Stenny, East Fife and Meadowbank that I can remember. Prorege would know if I missed any out .
They were really in dire straits I remember we played them down there a few months later just before they got locked out.
The season before they had bought a player off us for £25000 and they had to sell him on for £16000 to repay the money still owed on the deal.

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 26th January 2008

Mansfield Town 0 Middlesbrough 2 (6,258)

For this 12:30pm kick off, in front of the BBC cameras, Mansfield put in a decent performance but ultimately were not quite good enough to defeat our Premier League opponents. Boro's opening goal came from Lee Dong-gook, who made over a hundred International appearances for South Korea.
It was a season of turmoil for The Stags with many protests against our unpopular chairman, twice during this televised match Haslam Out balls were thrown over the Bishop Street Stand onto the pitch causing delays. This was our last appearance in the FA Cup 4th Round.107mansfield_468x312.jpg

bluearmybob

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1971. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v WEST BROMWICH ALBION (0) FA Cup 4th Rd Replay. Att 27,015.
1980. BRISTOL CITY (1) v IPSWICH TOWN (2) FA Cup 4th Rd. Att 19,608.
1985. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v GILLINGHAM (2) FA Cup 4th Rd. Att 16,547.
1991. CREWE ALEXANDER (1) v ROTHERHAM UNITED (0) FA Cup 4th Rd. Att 6,057.
2010. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v WEST BROMWICH ALBION (1) Championship. Att 19,574.
2013. ENFIELD TOWN (0) v BOGNOR REGIS TOWN (1) IL Premier. Att 434.
2019. MULBARTON WANDERERS (3) v MARCH TOWN UNITED (0) ECL Division 1 North. Att 78.

Last edited:

NeilH

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Cambridge City
A busy date for me...........watching:

1980 Cambridge United 1 Aston Villa 1
FA Cup 3rd round

As a schoolboy Villa fan perfect draw for me. Stood on The Habbin Terrace and the ground completely sold at with 12,000 there.

1982 Cambridge United 0 Crystal Palace 0

Division 2

My first opportunity to see the "team of the 80's" in the flesh, under the lights at The Abbey.

1985 Ashford Town 4 Cambridge City 0

Southern League Southern Division

Never saw City win at Essella Park, this heavy defeat coming in the middle of a poor run of form across December into January when we played all games away.

1987 Cambridge City 1 Buckingham Town 2
Southern League Cup

1991 Saffron Walden Town 1 Newquay 0
FA Vase 4th round

A rare trip into the FA Vase for me, a cracking game at one of my favourite local grounds.

2008 Cambridge City 1 Hayes & Yeading United 4
Conference South

2010 Cambridge City 6 Stourbridge 1
Southern League Premier Division

......playing:

1985 Ely St George 1 St Andrew's 2 played at Littleport Village College
1992 Cambridge Cosmos 1 Metals Research reserves 3 at St Bede's School, Cambridge
1997 Cambridge Cosmos reserves 1 YMCA 2 at St Bede's School, Cambridge

playing for St Andrew's/Cosmos, all in the Cambridge & District Sunday League

2020 Ridgeons 1 Bottisham "The Shed" 5
Cambridge Veterans League

The Shed are one of those teams that on our day we might get a point from, or at least not get hammered. From memory we were 2-1 down and pressing for an equaliser when with about twenty to go they got their third on the break. Heads went down and they finished us off. Played on Trumpington Rec. "The Shed" is actually a very decent pub/bar in the village of Lode in Cambs, well worth a visit if you are heading that way when allowed to.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock