Cheltenham Town
In 1926, John Logie Baird gave the first demonstration of Television

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1985 Steyning Town 2 Finchley 1 (aet) (FA Vase 4th Round)
1989 Finchley 2 Queens Park Rangers 0 (Middlesex Charity Cup)
1991 Royston Town 2 Finchley 2 Att 78 (Isthmian Div 2 North)
2002 Parramatta Power 2 Newcastle United 0 Att 4,176 (Australian National Soccer League)
2008 Barnet 0 Bristol Rovers 1 Att 5,190 (FA Cup 4th Round)
2010 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Fulham 0 Att 35,467 (Premier League)
2013 Tottenham Hotspur U21 2 Southampton U21 2 (Barclays U21 Premier League)
2013 Wealdstone 3 Hastings United 0 Att 523 (Isthmian Premier Div)
2016 Wingate & Finchley 2 Redbridge 3 Att 62 (London Senior Cup Quarter-Final)
2019 Wingate & Finchley 2 Brightlingsea Regent 2 (Isthmian Premier Div)

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
Five standouts:

Bolton Wanderers 2 Halifax Town 0 (FA Cup, Round Four, 3pm, 21,085)

A red-letter day for the Halifax faithful. About 6,000 Shaymen (4,500 glory hunters, then) made the short trip across the Pennines to Burnden Park, hoping Town could follow up their stunning third-round home victory over top-flight Manchester City.

It was a disappointing afternoon, for two reasons: Ian Greaves’s Bolton, struggling at the bottom of the First Division, were there for the taking yet Fourth Division Town delivered an oddly inhibited, unadventurous performance - a wasted opportunity; my dad, doubtless keen to make the most of a special occasion, splashed out for seats (we always stood). Unfortunately, we found ourselves stuck behind a goal in the low Little Lever end stand. Its plastic seats had merely been plonked on terracing. The sightlines were dreadful.

Wanderers stalwart Roy Greaves - more than 500 games for the club - put Bolton ahead in the 32nd minute. Halifax were in contention until second half stoppage time, when at our end, Neil Whatmore, getting on the end of a Mike Walsh cross, scrambled in the clincher. Despite Bolton’s win, Greaves was sacked on the Monday.

I returned several times to Burnden Park, a functional ground, albeit to watch rugby league. Its undersoil heating came in handy for live TV games! A supermarket now covers the site.

Trotters: Seamus McDonagh, Peter Nicholson, David Burke, Roy Greaves, Sam Allardyce, Mike Walsh, Willie Morgan, Neil Whatmore, Michael Carter, Neil McNab, Peter Reid.

Shaymen: John Kilner, Chris Dunleavy, Geoff Hutt, Dave Evans, Don Goodman, Paul Hendrie, Franny Firth, Mick Kennedy, Peter Burke, John Smith, Andy Stafford.

Stenhousemuir 2 Albion Rovers 0 (Scottish League, Division Two, 3pm, 337)

Ochilview was a ground I’d looked forward to visiting since reading about it in the second of Simon Inglis’s seminal stadium surveys, which extended into Scotland. This was a day trip from Cumbria. My mate, accountant Ian, gallantly shouldered the driving burden. On this occasion, I guess we’d have gone via the Kincardine Bridge.

Stenhousemuir was a name, read out on the weekly football results, that fired my childhood imagination. It turned out to be a wholly unremarkable village!

Victory over Davie Provan’s Rovers saw Stenny end a run of six games without a win. We’d watched the Coatbridge men, the previous Saturday, held at home by Berwick Rangers. In his match programme notes, manager Jim Meakin spent the thick end of a column bemoaning Warriors’ ill luck.

Allen Bell set Stenny on their way with a goal in the second minute. A 77th-minute penalty from substitute Tony Spiers, who’d been on the field only seven minutes, put the outcome beyond doubt.

I returned to Ochilview, in 2009, for an East Stirlingshire versus Queen’s Park game (a mad dash after discovering at the turnstile Kelty Hearts weren’t issuing, despite a prior indication to the contrary). Modernised (read: most interesting stand razed), with a plastic pitch, it’s no longer the ground I remember and liked.

Stenny: Charlie Kelly, Neil Aitken, Eddie Hallford, Harry Cairney, Kevin Tracey, Paul Anderson, Allen Bell, Lee Bullen (Bruce Clouston, HT), Stevie McCormick (Tony Spiers, 70), Brian Kemp, Colin Walker.

Rovers: Rab McCulloch, Graham Millar, Jim Cousin (Jim Henderson, 60), Ewan Watson (Iain Stalker, 67), Brian McGuinness, Robert Clark, Mike McAnenay, Steve Cadden, Billy Ferguson, Lex Richardson, Des McKeown.

Dundee United 6 Berwick Rangers 0 (Scottish Cup, Round Three, 3pm, 6,207)

We (my mate, Ian, and I) had been at Station Park, Forfar, the previous afternoon and stayed over in what marketing drones have since rebranded The City of Discovery.

Dundee United manager Jim McLean delivered on a promise to go for goals. His Terrors led 4-0 after 40 minutes. A string of saves from Berwick keeper Derek Neilson prevented humiliation. Duncan Ferguson scored a hat-trick, with skipper Maurice Malpas, Vic Ferreyra and John O’Neil getting the others. All the goals came in the opening hour. Captain Willie Garner, denied in the first half by keeper Guido Van de Kamp, went closest for Borderers.

We sat in the quirky, L-shaped main stand. A mid-teen lass behind us threatened to damage our eardrums irreparably by yelling ‘C’mon, Mixu’ every 30 seconds. Must say I’d like to go back to Tannadice. After its all-seat transformation, it looks - on TV’s Sportscene - a very tidy stadium. And who can resist a vivid splash of tangerine in a grey, urban setting?

Terrors: Guido Van de Kamp, John Clark, Maurice Malpas, Dave Bowman, Freddy Van der Hoorn, Jim McInally, John O’Neil, Darren Jackson (Gary Bollan), Vic Ferreyra, Duncan Ferguson (Paddy Connolly), Mixu Paatelainen.

Borderers: Derek Neilson, Mark Cass, Jackie O’Donnell, Graeme Davidson, Willie Garner, Gordon Leitch (Tommy Graham), Ralph Callachan (Justin McGovern), Brian Thorpe, Kevin Todd, Martin Neil, Steve Bickmore.

MK Dons 0 Rochdale 1 (League Two, 3pm, 7,882)

Leaders MK suffered a third straight 0-1 defeat as Dale remained unbeaten away since the season's opening day. A nerve-tingling contest that lived up to its billing.

MK saw an early effort cleared off the line. Then, in the 13th minute, Dale defender Nathan Stanton was sent off after Dean Lewington fell over his tackle in the box. Dale keeper Sam Russell ensured justice was done by saving MK skipper Keith Andrews’s penalty. The visitors got everyone behind the ball but broke away for captain Gary Jones (32) to score.

In the second half, MK struck the inside of a post, saw two efforts cleared off the line and Russell made two fabulous saves inside a minute. A pitch sprinkler burst into life. No sooner had it been dealt with, another began spouting water. Quite an afternoon!

A typically dull new stadium, which, if I remember the road signs correctly, is in Bletchley ('Home of the Codebreakers') rather than Milton Keynes. The short-lived, razed National Hockey Stadium was the more interesting home for MK FC. Unfit for purpose, I suppose. Milton Keynes is a bit careless over its sports stadia. In addition to losing the hockey stadium, it has also allowed to be demolished The Groveway (greyhounds and speedway) and Elfield Park (speedway). Any others?

Doncaster Rovers 0 Gillingham 1 (Division Four, 7.30pm, 3,059)

As a seven-year-old, I found football under floodlights super exciting. This was a Friday game hence not a ‘school night’. My dad would have us walk - my little legs pumping - to Belle Vue from our home on the Bessacarr/Cantley border. Must’ve been at least two miles. I imagine, on this occasion, he spared me the return trek. We probably took the bus, through Cantley.

Goodison Boulevard and Somerton Drive were at either end of our road. Many roads, though not ours, in the district were/are named after football grounds: Anfield, Blundell, Ewood, Highbury, Hillsborough, Millmoor, Ninian, Selhurst and Sincil are other prefixes. There is a Villa Park Road and a cul-de-sac called The Shay (which figures). There must've been a football fan in the council planning department!

Other sports:

Two ties in rugby league’s Challenge Cup: in 1997, I was amid a sparse gathering of 647 at Huntington Stadium to watch National Conference League amateurs Dudley Hill spring a major surprise by beating semi-professional third round hosts York 21-14. York, whose season was just starting, looked rusty compared to their mid-campaign visitors from Bradford. In 2019, I was at Scawthorpe, on the outskirts of Doncaster, to watch an all-amateur first round tie between Bentley and Royal Air Force. A good crowd of 650 at Woodside Playing Field saw the home team win 18-16 after trailing on the hour.

Attachments

• Bolton 1980_LR.jpg
    Bolton 1980_LR.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Stenny 1991_LR.jpg
    Stenny 1991_LR.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DU 1992_LR.jpg
    DU 1992_LR.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Bentley ARL 2019_01_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_01_LR.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Bentley ARL 2019_02_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_02_LR.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 2
  • Bentley ARL 2019_03_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_03_LR.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Bentley ARL 2019_04_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_04_LR.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Bentley ARL 2019_05_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_05_LR.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Bentley ARL 2019_06_LR.jpg
    Bentley ARL 2019_06_LR.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
1985 SLP 1500 Fareham T. 2 Willenhall T. 2 200
The top of the table visitors were by far the better team until the last ten mins. They led at half time with a goal by Birch, but Fareham turned it round completely with goals by Bye and Bartlett, a late equaliser by Gallacher was the least the Reds deserved. They faded to fourth by season's end.

2004 Fr 2000 Southampton 1 Bayern Munchen 1 28453
This mid-season friendly caught the attention of the public, and people were still coming in half an hour after the start due to poor organisation. I'd got there early and saw Saints take the game to their illustrious opponents and lead at the break, Ormerod scoring early on. Bayern improved in the second half but still their equaliser from Ballack was unexpected. After that, the game was end-to-end as both teams sought the winner, but a draw was a fair result. Visiting keeper Kahn was injured in the warmup and was replaced by Rensing, who made a decent career for himself in the Bundesliga and is in fact still playing.
Saints: Niemi, Dodd, Higginbotham, M.Svensson, Kenton, Telfer, A.Svensson, Folly, McCann, Ormerod, Tessem - subs Blayney, Beattie, Blackstock, Hall, Fernandes, Griffit, Benali
Bayern: Rensing, Sagnol, Kuffor, Kovac, Makaay, Ze Roberto, Ballack, Pizarro, Jeremies, Salihamidzic, Hargreaves - subs Demichelis, Santa Cruz, Linke, Schweinsteiger, Trochowski

2008 HPFL 1400 Hamble Club 0 Headley U. 3 9
Moved to Mount Pleasant Rec (near pitch) due to weather - the lowly hosts put their opponents under some pressure, but the visitors were good on the break and were two up at half-time, adding another one in the second half. Poor standard. The home team improved to finish well clear of the bottom places by season's end.

2013 HPFL 1400 Paulsgrove 2 Overton U. 4 19
The hosts had the better of things in the first period but the improving visitors took the lead into the break through Rudge. After the restart Noakes equalised but the visitors took the lead again with two offside-looking goals. Crawford's penalty for the Grove made it a close finish but a good break saw Rudge's second seal victory for the visitors.

2019 Southampton League Supp Trophy 1 1345 Bishops Waltham 3 Knightwood U. 3 (4-3 pens) 5
Great cup-tie, with the home team (top of Premier) coming back from 0-3 down with 20 mins to go to tie the game against their Div 1 opponents and win on penalties. The visitors scored in the first minute and in fact were three up in half an hour, right-back Doble scoring two of them on breaks. They were under more pressure in the second half but survived until speedy winger Locke came on as sub for the hosts. He scored one and made one and the equaliser was scored by Cole who had played in goal for most of the game but was pushed up front late on. Two visiting penalties were saved (by BW sub keeper Lisher) in the shootout to give the home side the win. Played at Priory Park, bottom pitch.

aiwa

Youth Team Hopeful
1983 Sutton Coldfield Town 2-0 Boldmere St Michaels (Walsall Senior Cup I think) No memories.
1987 Morecambe 1-1 Stafford Rangers (GMAC Cup I think) No memories.
1988 Barrow 2-1 Hendon (FAT2r) Barrow had an epic Trophy run in 87/8, playing twelve matches and still not making the Final. They had already captured the imagination of the town by the second round, with over 3,000 turning out for this replay, making for a terrific atmosphere. This was my first visit to Barrow, think I took the train so there must have been a late service back to Lancaster, where I was living at the time. I was stood under a covered terrace and recall being showered with rust when a defender's clearance cannoned off a stanchion. Iain Dowie (hardly a youngster at 23) was playing for Hendon.

barnetbee

Youth Team Regular
1989 - Finchley 2 QPR 0 (Middlesex Charity cup)
1991 - Thamesmead Town 0 Northwood 2 (Greene King London Spartan league premier Division)
1994 - Barnet 0 Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (London Challenge cup 1st round)
2008 - Barnet 0 Bristol Rovers 1 (FA Cup 4th round)
2010 - Barnet 1 Torquay United 1 (Coca Cola league 2)
2013 - Wealdstone 3 Hastings United 0 (Ryman league premier Division)
2016 - Boreham Wood 1 Watford 0 (Herts Senior cup quarter final)
2019 - Bovingdon 4 Grendon Rangers 0 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 2)

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Four of note...

Saturday 26th January 1991~
FA Cup 4th Round
Portsmouth 5-1 AFC Bournemouth

...with four goals from Guy Whittingham, giving him a remarkable running total of eleven goals in just six matches, and seven in two FA Cup ties (having already scored a hat-trick at Barnet in the previous round). We'd go on to the fifth round where we'd stumble under the weight of the Paul Gascoigne band-waggon...

Tuesday 26th January 1994~
League Cup Quarter Final Replay
Portsmouth 0-1 Manchester United

...following on from the dramatic 2-2 draw at Old Trafford, this was a bit of an anti-climax, with Man.Utd dominating much more than the narrow scoreline suggests. An early Brian McClair goal wrapped it up, and John Durnin's sending-off didn't help matters, in front of a crowd of 24,950...

Saturday 26th January 2008~
National Conference
Oxford United 0-0 Grays Athletic

...a dismal match which truly forced the reality of the situation down the throats of Oxford United's fans. The scoreboard's continual updating of Havant & Waterlooville's first-half heroics at Anfield probably didn't help the mood of those of the yellow cause...

Saturday 26th January 2019~
National South
Weston-super-Mare 2-0 Slough Town

...one of only eight victories that season for a Weston side destined to finish bottom. But an enjoyable ground and crowd...

1611625708709.png

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Monday @ 14-00.
CAF Africa Cup of Nations 2004 , Group B..
Kenya 1 v 3 Mali.

@ 15 October Stadium , Bizerte.

Rd31ac98a1d76c00a1a443e5e49de21dd.jpg-4689_Big.jpg

Kenya - Francus Onyiso , George Waweru , Musa Otieno , Adam Shabaan , Issa Kassim , Titus Mulama (1) , Tom Juma , John Muyiruri , Robert Mumba , Dennis Oliech , Mike Origi.
Subs - Philip Opiyo for Waweru , Emmanuel Ake for Muiuri.
Manager - Jacob Mulee.

Mali - Mahamadou Sidibe , Souleymane Diamoutene , Adama Coulibaly , Brahim Thiam , Sammy Traore , Mahamadou Diarra , Soumaila Coulibaly , Seydou Keita , Abdoulaye Demba , Mohamed Sissoko (1) , Frederic Kanoute (2).
Subs - Bassala Toure for Keita , Mamady Sidibe for Diamoutene.
Manager - Henri Stambouli.

Referee - Hailemalak Tessema (Ethiopia).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+

Monday @ 19-00.
CAF Africa Cup of Nations 2004 , Group B..
Senegal 0 v 0 Burkino Faso.

@ El Menzah Stadium , Tunis.
5bbd929c02e58eed598b9d82.jpg-115.jpg

Senegal - Tony Sylva , Omar Diop , Malick Diop , Souleymane Diawara , Ferdinand Coly , Aliou Cisse , Ousmane N'Doye , Salif Diao , Henri Camara , El-Hadji Diouf , Mamadou Niang.
Subs - Habib Beye for Coly , Papa Bouba Diop for N'Doye , Diomansy Kamara for Niang.
Manager - Guy Stephan.

Burkino Faso - Abdoulaye Soulama , Moussa Ouattara , Lamine Traore , Amadou Coulibaly , Rahim Ouedraogo , Mahamadou Kere , Saidou Panandetiguiri , Bebe Kambou , Amadou Toure , Moumouni Dagano , Abdoulaye Cisse.
Sub - Tanguy Barro for Cisse.
Manager - Jean-Paul Rabier.

Referee - Mohamed Guezzaz (Morocco).

Started out for this on the previous Saturday , I went to Kings Stanley v Cadbury Heath in the Gloucs Senior Trophy then went on to Horley to stay overnight at Paul & Mums.
Departure off Gatwick was Sunday morning at 07-25 on the flight to Monastir arriving at 11-10.
Perfect timing as our first game was in Sousse at 19-00.

We'd booked a package holiday for this one , a 7 night stay at the 4* Palace Hotel in Sousse. Half board with travel to and from airport. A price of £264 -10 per person is written in a diary.
Airtours UK were the company we went with , no it means nowt to me either.
Doing it this way certainly saved money but we were tied to 7 nights , still it worked well we managed to get to all the 6 grounds that were being used and I went to 7 games and had Friday off football for an afternoon / early evening stint at the German Beer House in Port el Kantoui.

We travelled to most by train , our hotel was only a 5 minute walk from the main station in Sousse. I say most as there is a possibility some other mode of transport was used for this Monday double , I have no recollection , I'm sure someone will remind me when seeing this ? Knowing me it's possible I talked a taxi driver into it the day before as we were in Sousse for the game there so had time to kill.

Anyway however we got there its the first game of the day in Bizerte , as far direct North as you can get in Tunisia from Sousse. A good 2 hour jroad ourney but the road goes via Tunis which would be handy for second game.

Mali were firm favourites against Kenya and a goal by Sissoko taking advantage of some poor defending on the half hour sent them into half time with a slim lead.
Kenya equalized on the hour with a lovely volleyed goal by Muiama.
It was then Spurs player Freddy Kanoute took over on his debut and scored 2 to wrap it up for Mali. His first on 64 mins came after a good run by Keita who passed to Freddy who shot in from near the penalty spot to open his account and his second on 80 mins came with him speeding on to a through ball which he took past the keeper and prodded in.
Spurs again had taken exception to Freddy going to this tournament , what a club , they had the same problem 2 years later with Midu of Egypt.
So as expected Mali won but not as easily as the pundits thought.

Then it was off to Tunis and the El Menzah Stadium for the Senegal v Burkino Faso clash , Senegal were odds on favourites to win this. How wrong the bookies were and despite Senegal having more of the play and B Faso having some good luck they held out for an unepected draw.
Wolves Henri Camara missed some decent chances and one sitter after 40 minutes.
Senegal grew desperate and even brought rested Papa Diop on towards the end to try to help . It didn't.

Group B . Final placings , top two progress.
Mali -------------------3 2 1 0 7- 3 7
Senegal---------------3 1 2 0 4- 1 5
Kenya -----------------3 1 0 2 4- 6 3
Burkina Faso---------- 3 0 1 2 1- 6 1

24 x games , 3 x 0-0 's , 2 x double's . images477H8NIO.png 12 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

1972 Stoke 3 v 2 West Ham.
2002 Parma 2 v 1 Bologna.
2003 Bursaspor 2 v 0 Denizlispor.
2006 Zambia 1 v 2 Guinea (17-15 @ Alex 1)
2006 Tunisia 2 v 0 South Africa (20-00 @ Alex 1).
2018 Ruvu Shooting 2 v 0 Mbao.
2019 Wellington Phoenix 1 v 0 Melbourne City.

-1963-Pools Panel sits-Ted Drake / Arthur Ellis / Tom Finney / Tom Lawton /George Young with it all being overseen by the First Baron Brabazon of Tara.-(Nice to see Ref Ellis of this Forum in action , you've kept this quiet ).
--4384.jpg

Last edited:

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Football

1974 Charlton Athletic - 2 Huddersfield Town - 1 (5,440) Football League Division Three

1975 Ship & Anchor - 4 Milton Dynamos - 2 London Sunday Challenge Cup @ Deri Park (Rainham Town FC)

1980 Watford - 4 Harlow Town - 3 (24,586) FA Cup Fourth Round

1985 Boston United - 2 Kidderminster Harriers - 3 (1,263) Gola League

1991 Loddon United - 3 Harleston Town - 0 Anglian Combination Division One

2020 Norwich City Women - 6 Sprowston Athletic Ladies - 0
Norfolk Women's Cup Quarter Final
The Nest
Attendance - 60ish
Admission -free
No programme issued (regular issuers for league games at Plantation Park)

Took the opportunity to tick The Nest for a NCWFC first team game and hoped it wouldn't be too one-sided. SA managed to hold NC at bay until 33 minutes in but then another couple followed by half time, on 56 minutes it became 4-0 but SA didn't fold with goals after 77 and 87 minutes sealing NC's place in the semi-final against Wroxham. NC had fielded a pretty much full strength side, as their reserves were also playing.

Running

1986 West Norfolk AC Open Cross Country Races - Leziate 31-17 6th

2000 East Anglian Cross Country League - Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds 36-39 8th

2002 Southern Counties Cross Country Champs - Parliament Hill Fields 69-33 357th

2008 Southern Counties Cross Country Champs - Parliament Hill Fields 75-38 721st

2019 Colney Lane parkrun (59) 29-17 166th

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1987, Monday

Scottish Cup Round Two
Raith Rovers v Vale of Leithen, 4-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 1355 Receipts £1502.50
At Stark’s Park

Weather disrupted the Second Round of the Scottish Cup and this match had been off several times due to snow in Fife. It was eventually played on the Monday night prior to the date for Round Three.

You might think that the visit of Vale to Raith would motivate a support from the Borders town. Not so. The Vale team was basically a group of Edinburgh-based mercenaries who trained in the City and travelled down for matches only. They had no connection with the local people. Had Vale fielded a team of locals then the town would have got behind them in a big way. It was a situation often repeated for all the Border sides – field a team of locals and have a poor team or recruit more widely and achieve on-field success.

Rovers: Hamish McAlpine, Billy Herd, Paul Sweeney, Craig Robertson, Alex Brash, Jim Kerr, Steve Simpson, Jim Marshall, Andy Harrow, Ian Gordon, Colin Harris. Subs Gary Voy and Billy Spence
Vale: Tom McDermott, Graham Ross, Colin Graham, Graham Darling, Dave Ewing, Steven Bird, Dave Smith, Brian Thorpe, George Hogarth, Charlie Spence, Billy Cormack. Subs Paul Burns, Brian Drouge.
Ref: Mike McGinley (Clydebank)

I drove over to Kirkcaldy for this one and watched from the now-closed terracing in front of the main stand and up towards the corner. Raith took a long time to assert control over the East of Scotland League side but in the end turned out to be worthy winners.

Vale had a couple of familiar names. They were managed by Mervyn Jones, the former Hibs and Cowdenbeath defender. Mervyn is still involved in football as Coach at Leith Athletic. Goalie Tom McDermott was the brother of Raith’s legendary goalie Murray McDermott (1070-1981). Charlie Spence had played for Civil Service in the games against Cowdenbeath I described a few days ago.

Raith had some good quality players. Colin Harris was a goalscorer wherever he played. Jim Marshall was an under-rated midfielder, formerly of Cowdenbeath. Jim Kerr was a fine defender who was a Coach at Cambuslang Rangers as recently as last season.

It was Vale who should have taken the lead after 25 minutes. Charlie Spence blazed over the bar when presented with an open goal. Vale were made to pay three minutes later when Jim Marshall poked the ball home in a goalmouth stramash. Vale missed a great chance to level just before half time. They were awarded a penalty but Brian Thorpe followed Spence’s example to send the ball into orbit.

The second half was one way traffic. Colin Harris made it 2-0 with a great header and Stevie Simpson added a third before an hour had gone. Harris got another from the penalty spot with 20 minutes to go.

Raith goalie Hamish McAlpine earned a booking late on for handling outside the box – advancing years never prevented the former Dundee United man from demonstrating his penchant for the occasional moment of madness.

Jan 26 1987.jpgRaith v Vale programme.jpgStarko 2.jpg

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
2010 - Ipswich Town 1 WBA 1 - Championship
2013 - Maldon & Tiptree 2 Redbridge 2 - Isthmian League, Div 1, North
2016 - Stotfold 3 Leverstock Green 3 - SSM, Premier Division - my second attempt to see Stotfold at the old Roker Park, with my first attempt rained off whilst I sat in the club house! 6 goals, but game ruined by the attitude, behaviour of Leverstock coaching team
2019 - Edgware Town 1 Biggleswade United 0 - SSM, Premier Division

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Northwich Victoria v Kidderminster Harriers Drew 1-1

1992 Silk Cut Challenge Cup First Round Halifax v Hull Kingston Rovers 12-8

1993 Cheshire Building Society Cheshire Senior Cup Quarter Final
Macclesfield Town v Warrington Town Won 0-2

A big scalp for Town away to Conference club Macc. It was a terribly wet evening but Town played really well and thoroughly deserved the win. I think Liam Watson scored the goals but have not checked. Town were superb though.

1994 JJB Sports Rugby League Alliance Warrington v Castleford Won 78-14

1997 Silk Cut Challenge Cup Third Round Hunslet Hawks v Woolston Rovers 54-6

I think this was played at the South Leeds Stadium, Hunslet’s permanent home by then (and still is). Good view from the main stand. Woolston were never in it and the difference between semi-pro and amateur was clear to see.

2000 North East Wales Cup Third Round Flexys Cefn Druids v Penley 7-2

2008 Worcestershire Junior Cup Semi-final Powick v Droitwich Spa 1-3

A shared trip with Andy D. This should have been played on Malvern Rangers ground, who had dropped out of West Midlands football but were briefly replaced by Powick. However the main pitch was waterlogged so it was moved to the back pitch. A different tick to that we expected, and we still need to do the main ground to this date. When we later saw Malvern Rangers they played at a college in a different part of town. There was a chunky programme issued by Powick although it may well have been mainly ads. No doubt we partook of a beer at The Nags Head by the common. Super pub and every days a beer festival.

2010 UniBond League Division One North Warrington Town v Leigh Genesis Drew 0-0

2013 FA Cup Fourth Round sponsored by Budweiser Middlesbrough v Aldershot Town 2-1

Andy D, Steve W and I took advantage of reduced admission price tickets to tick off this ground. I think it was a tenner. Standard newbuild bowl stadium design. All very smart but lacks individuality. We went into town pre match to the Spoons for one. It was quite a nice one and pretty busy. Aldershot came close to getting something from this but conceded very late. For an hour it was pretty turgid fare.

2016 Cheshire Senior Cup First Round
Warrington Town v Northwich Manchester Villa Won 1-0 (aet 90 mins 0-0)

Our only meeting with Northwich/Manchester/Flixton/Anywhere Else Villa

2019 ChromaSports Peterborough & District League Premier Division
Whittlesey Athletic v ICA Sports 1-0

Bad weather in the west saw me head east to do a catch up match from a previous P&D League hop and I ground I had missed out on. A roped pitch at the far end of a sports field. I had the aforementioned hop programme. Found a lovely pub in Kings Cliffe pre match. I still have two or three to live clubs to visit as hop catch up’s in this league. Some others have since folded though.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
FAC 4.
Fulham 1 Leicester City 1.
Att. 26,105.

FAC 4.
Nottm For 0 Liverpool 2.
Att. 33,277.

NCEL Premier.
Hallam 0 Sheffield FC 3.

Conference North.
Hinckley United 0 Boston United 1.
Att. 662.

Conference North.
Gloucester City 3 Hinckley United 5 @ Cirencester Town FC.

UCL Premier.
Rugby Town 4 Kirby Muxloe 1.
Att. 450.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town

We'd booked a package holiday for this one , a 7 night stay at the 4* Palace Hotel in Sousse. Half board with travel to and from airport. A price of £264 -10 per person is written in a diary.
Airtours UK were the company we went with , no it means nowt to me either.
Doing it this way certainly saved money but we were tied to 7 nights , still it worked well we managed to get to all the 6 grounds that were being used and I went to 7 games and had Friday off football for an afternoon / early evening stint at the German Beer House in Port el Kantoui.

For reasons I cannot recall, I travelled a day (or two) behind you for the Tunisia trip, with the double header of grounds that you mention being on the Friday. Hence I will come back to this subject with my first game in this tournament tomorrow

I was still doing on the other African cups on the 26th

2006 - Egypt. This was the Thursday, and my last day in Egypt. I had only been to four grounds as the last two were reserved for the final group games only. I travelled back to England on the Friday with Cheltenham having the lunchtime TV slot on Saturday for their FA Cup game. So for this one I was back in Alexandria, at the Haros El-Herod aka Border Guard Stadium. The games were Zambia 1-2 Guinea (24,000) and Tunisia 2-0 South Africa (10,000). For the first half, we were really crammed into the stadium with the quoted crowd being 2,000 more than the quoted capacity. Zambia took the lead but two goals from Pascal Feindouno gave Guinea victory. With Tunisia winning as well, both Guinea and Tunisia were on six points, while Zambia and South Africa were both out. Guinea would end up as group leaders. I did not get back to Port Said where Nigeria would win for the second time, but Senegal would lose. After the final game, Nigeria had nine points, while the other three were all on one win and two defeats, Senegal just getting the nod on goal difference. Two of the quarter finals went to penalties with every player for Cameroon and Ivory Coast scoring a penalty to put the teams at 11-11. Samuel Eto'o then missed on his second turn and Didier Drogba scored the winner for the Ivorians. Drogba did not score his penalty in the final as the hosts won 4-2 against Ivory Coast, after a scoreless draw in 120 minutes

2008 - Ghana. Back in Kumasi for the second pair of games. Cameroon 5-1 Zambia (10,000) and Egypt 3-0 Sudan (20,000). Cameroon had lost to Egypt in the group's first game, but recovered well here and would beat Sudan to take second place in the group
P1260287 m.JPG

There are another 16 games for the date, 11 of them being new grounds, the first was not
1980- Bristol City 1-2 Ipswich Town. FA Cup, Fourth Round. In the final year at Uni, City played Ipswich on two successive weeks, and lost both. I don't have the crowd figure or other details for this

1983 - Southwick 4-0 Horndean (40) Gilbert Rice Trophy, First Round (40p, team sheet free). I think this may be the only game I saw in the Gilbert Rice Trophy and I recall little about it. Basically an extra competition for floodlit teams. An easy home win for Southwick

1985 - Ford Motors 0-3 Blue Star (124). FA Vase, Fourth Round (?+25p)
1988 - Oxford University 1-2 National Westminster Bank (10) Representative (Free+none) followed by Gloucester City 2-1 Rushden Town (507) Southern League, Midland (£1.20+40p). My only visit to Iffley Road, followed by my first visit to Gloucester's new ground - which has of course recently risen from the flood plain
1992 - Chelsea 1-0 Everton (21,152) FA Cup, Fourth Round (£12+£1.30). My second visit, with Clive Allen scoring the only goal and Tony Cottee missing the chance to get a replay, as his penalty is saved. Sunday game
1994 - Hillingdon Borough 0-1 Willesden (Hawkeye) (50) London Spartan (£1.50+50p). The only Hillingdon Borough home game I have been to as a neutral, with the reformed club playing at a ground I had previously been to for Ruislip FC in the Southern League

2000 - Crystal Palace (reserves) 1-1 Southampton (reserves) (300) FA Premier reserve League (Comp+50p). Went to this primarlily because it was at the National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace. I went back during the AC London tenancy.
2002 - Saint Osyth 4-2 Little Oakley (12) Essex & Suffolk (Free+none).
2007 - Istres Ouest Provence 1-2 Montpellier Heraut (1000) France, Division 2 (€20, Programme Free). Friday night of a four match trip to the South of France and into Catalonia. I think (but would not swear to) that this was a four man trip with me driving, probably with Kevin, Paul and Spanner along. I had been to the Stade Bardin, in Istres itself in 1989, but they had now moved to Stade Paresmain, out of town. This was a soulless stadium with little in the way of support and very cold. A couple of signs up campaigning for the second division to be moved to Saturdays, "for the stadium and life".
P1010249.JPG

2010 - Brackley Town 2-0 Hemel Hempstead Town (132) Southern League, Premier (£8+£1.50)
2011 - Bedfont Town 1-1 Aylesbury (85) Southern League, Central (£8+£2)
2013 - Bodedern Athletic 0-1 Denbigh Town (50) Welsh Alliance Division One (£3, no programme).
P1060092 m.JPG
P1060094 m.JPG

2019 - La Suze 2-1 Voltigeurs de Chateaubriant (150). National 3/B (€5+none). Unfortunately for Chateaubriant, they were doing well in the table until I saw them lose two weeks in a row - they would finish fourth, six points off the top (and only promotion) spot. La Suze still did not avoid getting relegated in last place.
IMG_20190126_172957 m.jpg
IMG_20190126_172804 m.jpg

2020 - Atletico Madrid 0-0 CD Leganes (52,334) La Liga (€50, €2 boking fee, no programme) followed by AD Alcorcon 3-1 Ponferradina (2984) Segunda (€25, programme free)
Match Reports.

Six years earlier
DSCN1307 m.JPG

and now
P1070223 m.JPG
View attachment 8273

and my most recent ground, outside England, Wales and France
IMG_20200126_181635 m.jpg
P1070264 m.JPG

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Hoddy1 wrote - (Nice to see Ref Ellis of this Forum in action , you've kept this quiet ).

It took make-up a long time to achieve this look, I preferred the work on It's a Knockout!

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
There are another 16 games for the date, 11 of them being new grounds, the first was not
1980- Bristol City 1-2 Ipswich Town. FA Cup, Fourth Round. In the final year at Uni, City played Ipswich on two successive weeks, and lost both. I don't have the crowd figure or other details for this
If you require match details P/M or Zoom.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1983 Aston Villa 3 Barcelona 0(aet) crowd 31,570
European Super Cup, Villa Park

I had been to a few European games in London but this was the first time I’d ventured out of the capital. I had seen Barcelona kick Spurs off the park in the previous year’s Cup Winners Cup semi final so I was firmly on the side of Villa in this one. The previous week in the away leg Barca had won 1-0 with a Marcos Alonso goal so the tie was set up nicely for this second leg. I don’t recall too much about the detail but the atmosphere was great, very partisan, and looking at the teams of the 11 players and 2 subs Villa had 9 English and 4 Scots whereas Barca had 12 Spaniards and only Bernd Schuster the German as a foreigner, seem to recall Spain was very strict about that in those days. After much huffing and puffing and a lot of time wasting from the Catalans Gary Shaw eventually scored with 10 minutes to go to send the crowd wild and the game into extra time. Unfortunately I had to leave to get my last train back to London at that point so I missed the two goals from Gordon Cowans(100) and Ken Mcnaught(104) that clinched the tie but it was a pretty good first game at Villa Park.
8E2C9FB1-ECE0-43D7-9474-D81054ADF2F1.jpeg
2005 Newport(Isle of Wight)1 AFC Wimbledon 2 crowd 765
Ryman One, St Georges Park, Newport, IOW

When the fixtures came out and we were away to Newport on the first weekend of October it couldn’t have worked out better as the weather would still be good but the summer crowds would have gone but sadly it clashed with the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round so we had to go to dreary Dunstable instead and the rearranged game was midweek in January, about as far from the summer as possible. I drove down to Portsmouth with my wife and dropped her and the car at Gunwharf Quays where we stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express, decent rates at that time of year. Walked down to the ferry terminal and braced myself for a rough crossing but it wasn’t too bad and before long I was on the tube train rattling down Ryde Pier where I changed to a bus into Newport. About 400 other Wimbledon fans had made the first trip overseas and they saw defender Steve Butler give us a 24th minute lead which we held till half time. It was 2-0 after 58 minutes when striker Richard Butler scored and although Pilcher pulled one back for the home side after 66 minutes we held on fairly easily to clinch the points. After the game I think I got a lift back to Ryde where I got the last ferry back to Portsmouth before rejoining my wife in the hotel.

2019 AFC Wimbledon 4 West Ham 2 crowd 4,777
FA Cup 4th Round, Kingsmeadow

This was an incredible result given that we were about six points adrift at the bottom of League one at the time but the cup had been a bit of a relief from the misery of the league and after seeing off Haringey, Halifax and Fleetwood all away we finally had a home tie and and a sell out live on TV on a Saturday evening, apart from a playoff game against Accrington the last time we had kicked off then was back in 1983 at Torquay. Having played West Ham earlier in the season in the League Cup and led for an hour before finally going down 3-1 we knew that they weren’t great but the result was beyond our wildest dreams. Goals by Appiah(34)and Wagstaff(41)gave us an incredible 2-0 half time lead and instead of being pegged back we made it 3-0 straight away with Wagstaff scoring again. Perez(57)and Anderson(71) reduced the deficit to 3-2 and I was just hoping we would get away with a replay as we hadn’t played at the Olympic Stadium but with 2 minutes to go Sibbick managed to head a fourth goal and the game was up. In the fifth round we lost 1-0 at home to Millwall.
35316D12-C917-4438-8CA4-9451AC6ACB40.jpeg

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
A somewhat annoying tendency to exit the Cup at the 3rd round stage meas that Sunderland have played only once on this date in my lifetime - a League Cup Semi final 2nd leg in 1999. I didn't go.
Which leaves me with only one game on this date as far as I can make out.

Norfolk Senior Cup Quarter Final
Mattishall 1-0 Norwich United
Att: 93 (h/c)

Attended in the company of buncranaboy and catchagogoal. Plan A had been Girvan v Clydebank, but the weather in Ayrshire caused the game to be doubtful on Friday evening, so a trip to East Anglia became our preferred option. Sure enough, Girvan tweeted early on Saturday that their game was off.

The Anglian Combination hosts play two levels below their Eastern Counties League visitors, but you wouldn't have known based on this game - there was very little to choose between the sides.

The only goal came on 59 minutes - a free kick from the right was bundled in by Moran from close range. United huffed and puffed, but failed to breach the home defence who defended manfully.

The club share with the cricket club, and the football pitch is at the far end of the cricket pitch. which meant a rather muddy walk. A small amount of covered standing is available, with an adjacent tea bar, and the clubhouse saw plenty of custom at half time.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1974 - Allegro United Res v Pennington Res (New Forest) played in goal in a 1-1 in the delightful village just outside Lymington.
1978 - Trident City v Oakwood (Islington MW 3) - linesman.
1980 - Mill Hill Village Res v Palmers Green Athletic Res (SOL Junior 1) - referee, played at the clubhouse at Burton Hole Lane - not on 'Pork Chop Hill' from memory.
1985 - A Schools match in the morning, followed by:
Molesey Res v Farnborough Town Res (Suburban North) - referee.
1991 - Old Grammarians v St Marys College (SOL Senior 1) - referee.
1992 - Newtown Conservative Club v Corfe Mullen (Dorset Sunday 2 League Cup) - referee, small divisions meant filler cups were sometimes required.
1997 - Poole Town SC v Sandford (Dorset Senior 2) - referee.
2003 - Longfleet St Mary v Witchampton United (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee.
2013 - FIFA Standards v Allendale Res (Bournemouth 4) - referee.
2019 - Graham St Prims v Sherwood Colliery (East Midlands Counties) - observer, att. 63.
2020 - Stratford Haven v The Nabb Inn (Nottingham Sunday Senior 1) - referee.

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
1980- Bristol City 1-2 Ipswich Town. FA Cup, Fourth Round. In the final year at Uni, City played Ipswich on two successive weeks, and lost both. I don't have the crowd figure or other details for
This was a good time for Ipswich to play City as we had started our terminal decline and exit out of the First Division. Two months earlier an away win at Manchester City had seen us comfortably in 14th place (out of 22). But two league points in December and January had left us in the relegation zone from which we were unable to extricate ourselves.
Ipswich had beaten us 3-0 at Ashton Gate on the 19th in front of 14,218 but, as was the lure of the FA Cup in those days, over five thousand more people turned up the next week to see the same teams play in the 4th Round.
Ipswich went out in the 6th Round of the cup and finished 3rd behind Liverpool and Manchester United in the league.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks