January 25

Mother Benson

Junior Team Hopeful
Thanks for posting. It was the first time I'd seen Milford at Archie Gordon. Will correct my records as I have it down as a League match in my list, but a cup match in the old diary.
A real bruiser of a game. Beckett Park was frost bound so it was switched to Archie Gordon. The ref from New Zealand earned the wrath of the Jubilee fans as he sent our prop to the sin bin for decking one of their players who was carried off. We had never seen the sin bin before as it had not been brought in over here then.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
These four...

Saturday 25th January 1986~
Division Two
Portsmouth 1-0 Middlesbrough

...mind-numbing cold and boredom. A late Nicky Morgan goal the only blessing for the 10,611 who turned up...

Saturday 25th January 1992~
FA Cup 4th Round
Portsmouth 2-0 Leyton Orient

...and the match that brought a young Darren Anderton to the notice of the world. With most of the country struggling under torrential rail and gales, this was one of the few matches to survive the weather, resulting in extended highlights on that night's Match Of The Day. Despite a gutsy performance from Orient, Anderton played a blinder and scored both of Pompey's goals, including a corker left-foot volley from 20yds, as our road to that year's semi-finals gained pace...

Saturday 25th January 1997~
FA Cup 4th Round
Portsmouth 3-0 Reading

...three late goals from Paul Hall, Lee Bradbury and David Hillier leading to joyous pitch-invasions. We'd go on to beat Leeds United away in the next round before losing to Chelsea in the quarter-final...

Saturday 25th January 2020~
Combined Counties Premier
Badshot Lea 1-1 Sutton Common Rovers

...and a visit to Badshot Lea's brand new ground...

1611624643266.png

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
SteveB wrote - 1992 Dorset Combination: Portland United 3 Bridport reserves 2 (84)
I've mentioned before that my then partner was sports editor on the paper in Bromsgrove. Rovers were away at Dorchester so I got a lift and then drove on down to a ground that Portland vacated not long after.

The photo of Grove Corner also brought memories having run the line there in the 70s. I didn't realise the ground survived into the 90s.

Bagman

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday 25th January 2020

FA Cup 4th Round

Brentford (0) 0 v 1 (1) Leicester City

Admission £10 OAP, Programme £3.50p, Attendance: 12,221 (1,620 away fans)

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks