Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 25th January 1986
United Counties League Premier Division
Stewarts and Lloyds 1 v Brackley Town 0 at Occupation Road
No programme Attendance around 20 and not all those paid
Back in the eighties I had a mate who was programme editor for Brackley,
occasionally I would either travel with him or we we would meet up at
Brackley away games, Brackley always seemed to lose when I turned up though.

This game was a below average one with Stewarts and Lloyds scoring the
only goal through long serving player PJ Hamil after 33 minutes, they ought
to have scored more but wasted quite a few chances. Little was seen of
Brackley's attack though they did hit the crossbar in a very rare attacking move.
One lasting memory of the day was the iron rail fencing that surrounded most
of the ground.
Stewarts and Lloyds had a very good season finishing runners up to Buckingham
which at that time was their best ever placing in the Premier Division.

Saturday 25th January 1997
Central Midlands League Cup 2nd Round Replay Kick off 1345
Shardlow St James v Harworth Colliery Institute at the Wharf
Score 4-0 half time 3-0 Attendance around 20 Programme issued
A weekend back in Banbury saw me drive here, I was a bit concerned about
the weather as there was early morning fog and it was still murky driving up
the M1. Shardlow played well in this game and with steadier finishing might
have scored seven or eight. It was pretty much one way traffic throughout the
game once Shardlow had scored after two minutes. Shardlow managed to hit the
cross bar three times in the second half alone.

A pitch that was railed off on all 4 sides with no cover for spectators with
a tea bar operating in the village hall. Think Shardlow folded in the early 2000's
have no idea if the ground is still in existence.

Tuesday 25th January 2011
Football League Division 2 kick off 1945
Gillingham v Chesterfield
Score 0-2 Half time 0-1 Attendance 4770 Admission £20 Programme £3
Chesterfield arrived as league leaders but Gills put up a good fight and
were rather unlucky to lose as they were thwarted in the first half several
times by Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee who made some fine saves.
Chesterfield's Deane Smalley scored a goal in each half to give the Spireites
the 3 points. The result kept Chesterfield 6 points clear at the top and they
were league champions at the end of the season

Last edited:

IAN S

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1986 Blades 0 Derby 1 FA Cup 4th round Att 22,658
1992 Stocksbridge PS 2 Tadcaster Albion 0 NCE 1
2003 Blades 4 Ipswich 3 FA Cup 4th round
2017 Blyth Town 3 Team Northumbria 3 NL 2 HT 2-1

Rugby League
1987 Eagles 14 Swinton 17 HT 14-6 Att 880

Rugby Union
1997 Bradford & Bingley 18 Tynedale 19 North 1 HT 9-9 I remember the pork pie but not the game
2014 Stocksbridge 42 Halifax 0 Yorks. 4 HT 23-0 tough Halifax from the hills? One of their players had to be taken to hospital with hyperthermia!
2020 Ossett 14 Old Otliensians 16 Yorks. 3 HT 7-13 Aban. 63 rd minute, referee abuse, result stood. Rearranged game after original was also aban. for player injury.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1975 - Leicester University III v Desford United Res (Hinckley Harborough 2) played in goal in a 3-2 win, both sides took part in a 3-way play-off with Ventora to decide the title, goal difference etc not being used.
1976 - Stamford Hall v Digby Hall (Inter Hall 1) played in goal in a 2-2 draw, these games were the big ones as the two halls were next door to each other.
1981 - Old Finchleians Vets v Palmers Green Athletic Vets (SOL Veterans Cup Quarter Final) - referee.
1986 - Croydon v Wokingham (Isthmian Premier) - linesman.
1992 - Andover v Burnham (Southern South) - referee, att. 271.
1997 - Kingston Lacy Res v Dorset Fire Brigade (Dorset 4NE) - referee.
1998 - Lytchett United RBL v Ringwood Town (Bournemouth Sunday 3) - referee.
2003 - Trindad New Star v Bournemouth Electric (Bournemouth 1) - referee. This game caused me to return to playing cricket after a 5 year gap, most of the home side were from my old team and I was 'persuaded' to come out of retirement (for the first time, there were more later).
2004 - Parkbury v Bournemouth Electric (Robbins Cup Round 5) - referee with extra time and settled by a golden goal, played at Poppies' Victoria Park.
2014 - St Marys v Redlynch & Woodfalls United (Bournemouth 2) - referee.
2015 - St Albans v Throop United (Bournemouth Sunday 4) - referee.
2020 - Heanor Town v Dunkirk (East Midlands Counties) - observer, att. 154.

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1969- Rugby League Challenge Cup 1st round. Halifax v Leeds 12-17.
1986- Rugby League B A R L A National Cup. Milford v Jubilee 9-5.
1989- Cheshire FA Senior Cup 2nd round. Congleton Town v Stalybridge Celtic 3-1.
1996- North East Wales FA Cup 2nd round. Rhostyllen Villa v Rhos Aelwyd 3-1.
2003- Hope Valley Premier. Totley Sports v Dronfield Woodhouse 3-3.
2009- FA Sunday Cup 4th round. Bulls Head ( Dawley Bank) v Heywoods Irish Centre 0-4 Reversed tie played at Emley.
2012- West Yorkshire League Div.2. FC R.I.A.S.v Old Centralians 7-1 @ South Leeds Stadium.
2014- Northern League Div.1. Consett v Crook Town 4-3.
2020- West Lancs. League presidents Cup 2nd round. Horwich St Mary's Victoria v Millom 4-2.

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 25th January 1992
Exmouth Town 1 Taunton Town 4
Western League.Premier Division.

This would have been a trip on the train from Leamington via Birmingham and then down to Exeter before getting the local service to Exmouth.I'm not sure why I went to this match because neither team was near the top,probably more to do with the weather,I assume!
The King George V Ground of Exmouth was fairly basic with a small stand and a very small amount of cover not that it was needed on a dry day on the Devon coast. Taunton won easily enough with a goal from Chris Souness after 7 minutes and then a hat trick from Phil Hunt with goals on 20,52 and 62 minutes.Exmouth's goal came from a penalty which was scored by Tim Cowell on 43 minutes.
Attendance of 123.
The Western League had an interesting mix of teams back then with Weston-super-Mare winning the league that season.Clevedon Town were runners up and Tiverton Town in 3rd place.Further down the table were Chippenham Town,Plymouth Argyle Reserves and Minehead. Ottery St.Mary finished bottom of the table.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Star

CCL Premier

Frimley Green 2 Egham Town 1

Attendance - h/c 80

ET ahead on 18 through Sobolak. FG equalised on 20 through De La Croix and scored the winner on 70 through Holland. Egham's Robinson sent off on 90+5. Finished delayed mainly due to an escaped dog on the pitch.

stingray

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 25 January 2003 - Barnet 2-2 Burton Albion (Conference)
Tuesday 25 January 2005 - Histon 4-3 Leighton Town (Southern League Cup)
Tuesday 25 January 2011 - Leighton Town 6-1 Langford (Beds. Senior Cup)
Saturday 25 January 2014 - Uxbridge A-A Leighton Town (Massive hailstorm after 60 minutes)
Saturday 25 January 2020 - Arlesey Town 0-5 Colney Heath (South Midlands Premier)

huttonpark

Junior Team Star
Saturday 25 January 1958
Isthmian League
Romford 1 Kingstonian 3
Programme 3d

Two weeks earlier Romford had suffered a humiliating 3-1 defeat at Erith & Belvedere in the First Round of the Amateur Cup followed by a 2-0 defeat at St Albans in a League game. Kingstonian had suffered an even more humiliating defeat in the Amateur Cup losing 6-5 at Bungay Town and furthermore were one of the few clubs below Romford in the League table. So time for Romford to bounce back with a win. Wrong! Another poor performance by Romford with their only goal being scored by Reg March.

Saturday 25 January 1986
Vauxhall Opel (Isthmian) League Premier Division
Billericay Town 0 Yeovil Town 2
Attendance 535
Programme 25p

This was Yeovil's first ever season in the Isthmian League having been relegated from the Gola League at the end of the previous season. From what I can remember they had a very good team and were a class above Billericay with the outcome never being in too much doubt.

Belushi

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry City
FAC 4.
Leatherhead 2 Leicester City 3 @ Filbert Street.
Att. 32,090.

FAC 4.
Peterborough United 1 Carlisle United 0.
Att. 8,311.

Division 1.
Nottm For 1 Everton 0.
Att. 17,009.

NCEL Premier..
Arnold Town 2 Belper Town 1.

Conference North.
Guiseley 3 Hinckley United 2.
Att. 336.

MFL 1.
Leicester Road 1 Lichfield City 1.
Also at the Leatherhead v Leicester match. I was in Leicester for the weekend, and the match was so hyped-up during the previous week it was a must-see game.
WSC did an excellent feature on Leatherhead and its cup exploits that season.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
1969 (Saturday)

Fulham 1 West Bromwich Albion 2
FA Cup 4th Round
@ Craven Cottage
Att: 31,204

After Albion lifted the FA Cup the year before (a picture of which Fulham used on the front of the programme), I decided I would go to all the games in the competition this season. After a 3rd Round home win against Norwich the idea could have been scuppered quickly, but fortunately the thought of a child travelling down to London without an accompanying adult did not spook my parents, so off I went.

In those days the FA Cup normally drew many club's biggest gates of the season, as exemplified with this game - Fulham's usual crowd was around the 11-13k mark, with the derby against Crystal Palace having the biggest League gate @ 23k.

The Albion goals were scored by Asa Hartford and Ronnie Ress with Stan Brown notching for Fulham. Johnny Haynes (the first player to be paid £100 a week) was listed for Fulham, but I cannot remember if he played.
F.JPG
I continued to watch Albion's FA Cup games for far longer than I had originally planned and my run continued to the turn of the century and Manchester Utd's firing of the first shot in the devaluation of the competition when, as holders, they refused to take part. In recent times, of course, clubs much lower down the rankings than Albion put out second string sides to play in front of half empty grounds, even with reduced admissiion prices. :mad:

No holiday snaps for Hoddy, but here is the Fulham chairman.
TT.jpg

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1969 (Saturday)

Fulham 1 West Bromwich Albion 2
FA Cup 4th Round
@ Craven Cottage
Att: 31,204

After Albion lifted the FA Cup the year before (a picture of which Fulham used on the front of the programme), I decided I would go to all the games in the competition this season. After a 3rd Round home win against Norwich the idea could have been scuppered quickly, but fortunately the thought of a child travelling down to London without an accompanying adult did not spook my parents, so off I went.

In those days the FA Cup normally drew many club's biggest gates of the season, as exemplified with this game - Fulham's usual crowd was around the 11-13k mark, with the derby against Crystal Palace having the biggest League gate @ 23k.

The Albion goals were scored by Asa Hartford and Ronnie Ress with Stan Brown notching for Fulham. Johnny Haynes (the first player to be paid £100 a week) was listed for Fulham, but I cannot remember if he played.
View attachment 8224
I continued to watch Albion's FA Cup games for far longer than I had originally planned and my run continued to the turn of the century and Manchester Utd's firing of the first shot in the devaluation of the competition when, as holders, they refused to take part. In recent times, of course, clubs much lower down the rankings than Albion put out second string sides to play in front of half empty grounds, even with reduced admissiion prices. :mad:

No holiday snaps for Hoddy, but here is the Fulham chairman.
View attachment 8225
A friend of mine was telling me the other week he went to watch Wimbledon at Crook Town in the Amateur Cup in 1962 at the tender age of 12 on his own, he said he was safe with the other fans on the special train.

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 London Spartan Lge, Senior Div: North Greenford United 2 Ulysses 0 (att 27)

1989 Middlesex Charity Cup, 5th rnd: Feltham 2 Chelsea 6 (1,300)

Russell Grant's sponsorship raised the profile and breathed new life and new entrants into what had been a moribund cup. Chelsea were in the second division, and went on the win the title. They fielded a strong side at Feltham Arena, I think because they'd already been knocked out of the FA Cup and so had no game for over a week. Feltham made a decent fight of it and led briefly. The visitors' lead at half time was only 3-2. I've seen various crowd figures for this, none of them official, but 1,300 was my estimate on the night.

1992 Dorset Combination: Portland United 3 Bridport reserves 2 (84)
I've mentioned before that my then partner was sports editor on the paper in Bromsgrove. Rovers were away at Dorchester so I got a lift and then drove on down to a ground that Portland vacated not long after.
763.jpg

1997 Welsh Lge, Div 3: Abercynon Athletic 2 Gwynfi United 4 (25)

1998 Scottish Cup, 3rd rnd: Dundee 4 St Mirren 2 (4,877)

A Sunday, so I'm guessing that Dundee United were drawn at home as well. I'd stayed over after going to Rothes the day before.

11am Football Lge Youth Alliance, South East: Leyton Orient U19 0 Portsmouth U19 3 (29)
1.30pm Essex Intermediate Lge Cup, 2nd rnd: Manford Way 4 Shell Club Corringham 1 (30)

Orient's youth team were using the Eastway Sports ground in Leyton, which has since been transformed into the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre. Manford Way were at the same ground they use now, but sadly I think the stand is no more.
2286.jpg
2287.jpg

2004 Waltho Cup, QF: Braunton 6 Landkey 1 (32)
A Sunday fixture in one of North Devon's many independent local cups. This was before Braunton moved to their current ground, and home matches were still on the basic Braunton Recreation Ground.

2005 Nottinghamshire Senior Cup, 3rd rnd: Cotgrave Colliery Welfare United 0 Boots Athletic 1 (70)

2011 Northern Lge, Div 2: Gillford Park 4 Morpeth Town 0 (17) at Cumbria Sports Academy, Whitehaven

Can't remember why Gillford Park borrowed the Cumbria Sports Academy in Whitehaven, nor how many games they played there. It was a floodlit grass pitch inside a running track, and had a stand.
3530.jpg

11am Strathclyde Saturday Morning Lge, Premier Div: AS Airdrie 1 Dennistoun Vale 2 (13)
1.45pm SJFA West Region, Central Lge, Div 2: Port Glasgow 3 Newmains United 4 (40)

AS Airdire used a basic 3G pitch which is now the home ground of West of Scotland League Gartcairn Juniors.

1.15pm Liverpool Old Boys Amateur Lge, Div 1: St Margarets Old Boys 2 FC Salle 1 (14)
3pm West Cheshire Lge, Div 1: Marshalls 7 Capenhurst Villa 1 (36)

Games on pitch two and pitch three at the Heron Eccles ground in Liverpool.

Daveh

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
St Ives Town
2011 - St Ives Town 2 Ramsey Town 1 - Hunts Senior Cup 1/4 final, att 152. Back in the days when step 7 sides played in this competition. Now we have 6 teams that take part! Totally pointless!

2014 - Marlow 3 St Ives Town 3 - Calor Southern League Division 1 Central. Att 156. We (Ives) came back from being 3-0 down at half time. Remember getting soaked in the first half and having the right hump. Cheered up a bit in the second half though.

2020 St Ives Town 0 Biggleswade Town 3. Betvictor Southern Central Premier. Att 161. Even though it was only a year ago, I don’t remember anything about this game. Obviously trying to block it from my mind, like so many of our games last season!

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 25th January 2011

Pontefract Collieries 2 Louth Town 2 (59)

After a Macsween's Haggis dinner I was tearing up the A1 to the Yorkshire liquorice town of Pontefract, it's not in Wales. Speaking of liquorice, do they still sell the sweet chewing wood that we had as kids in the 60's/70's, it was like buying a bag of dried sticks? I was one of the first to arrive and sampled an agitated can of Guinness in the damp club bar. Another hopper engaged me in conversation, he'd travelled up from London and told me of his experiences watching football in Peru, maybe he was one of the top ten wealthiest groundhoppers? The Pomfret pitch at Skinner Lane or is it Beechnut Lane was quite heavy and both teams tried but struggled with it in this NCE Division One fixture, so a draw was probably a fair outcome. At seasons end Colls were 5th and the White Wolves were 6th.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
2011 Northern Lge, Div 2: Gillford Park 4 Morpeth Town 0 (17) at Cumbria Sports Academy, Whitehaven
Can't remember why Gillford Park borrowed the Cumbria Sports Academy in Whitehaven, nor how many games they played there. It was a floodlit grass pitch inside a running track, and had a stand.
View attachment 8229
I remember reporting the stadium's opening meeting (circa 1988). Paid for by BNFL, the place was then known as Copeland Athletics Stadium. At the time, Copeland Athletics Club had several international athletes. IIRC, triple jumper Jonathan Edwards was the opening meeting's star competitor. The 'ribbon cutting' was performed, again IIRC, by javelin thrower Fatima Whitbread. The attendance for that event was circa 1,500. Next time I'm up in the loft, I'll dig out the programme.

bluearmybob

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1975. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v LIVERPOOL (0) FA Cup 4th Rd. Att 34,709.
1997. IPSWICH TOWN (5) v WEST BROMWICH ALBION (0) League Division 1. Att 9,460
2011. ARSENAL (3) v IPSWICH TOWN (0) Carling Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg. Att 59,387.
2014. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v READING (0) Championship. Att 15,323.
2020. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v LINCOLN CITY (0) League 1. Att 18,795.

Ostrich

Junior Team Starter
Windsor Foodservice Central Midlands League Black Dragon South Division
Barrowby v Hucknall Town 1 a 1

(abandoned 45 mins - lightning). A huge storm just before half time. Ref waited for a while but with no let up called the game off on safety reasons. It did eventually clear away but by then it was too late. A pitch in a sports field. Not sure if railed or just roped now. They did issue.

Very interesting! Yes, there was a very violent, very fast-moving weather front across the country that day, as I got caught up in it as well ....

25/01/14 – Midlands 3 West (North): Burntwood RFC 12 Edwardians RFC 15
Admission: free, no programme
Refreshments: they did a range of decent pies in the clubhouse, IIRC.
Attendance: around 50

If you know Chasetown’s ground, you might well know Burntwood rugby’s ground; it’s just over the footbridge on the other side of the dual carriageway alongside the soccer club’s car park. I gather that when Cardiff City played Chasetown in an FA Cup 3rd Round tie in 2007/08, the away supporters’ coaches used Burntwood’s car park for segregation and the rugby club duly laid on hospitality, which was so well received by the Welsh fans that several groups even now still pop into the clubhouse as a pit-stop if the Bluebirds are playing up north.

Only one talking point from this rugby match. About 15 minutes into the game, we became aware of roiling black clouds sweeping towards us across the Chase; two almighty lightning flashes and claps of thunder were followed by a sudden howling wind out of nowhere and a violent hailstorm. Out in the open, everyone fled – players, referee and spectators. I can recall now, in the less than a minute it took me to gain the clubhouse, I was stung so badly on the legs by the hailstones, I had bruises showing at the end of the day. I do not think I’ve ever experienced such horrific weather conditions during a game.

The match was delayed for around a quarter of an hour, and play resumed on a white carpet of frozen sleet! Edwardians sneaked the win; I think we were all too stunned by the weather event to take in much of the game after that!

25/01/20 –Dorset Senior League (Step 8): Beaminster 1 Cranborne 2
Admission: free, no programme
Refreshments: a Snickers bar and cuppa at the match (£1.50)
Attendance: 21

The soccer ground’s up a track off North Street close to the town centre. The pavilion is a newish affair, all wood cladding, and a plaque indicated the “Beaminster Memorial Playing Field Community Centre and Sports Pavilion” was opened in 2010 by a certain “Mr. Martin Clunes” who is a local resident. It was pretty spartan inside, but at least sported a hatch and a tea kettle. No dugouts adjacent to the pitch, but they did lay out two rows of four plastic chairs!

Beaminster’s opponents were the “Mighty Cranes”, who weren’t quite so mighty when I first saw them a couple of years previously on their own turf – they lost 2-11 to Dorchester Sports, having been 2-0 up! Today’s game was characterised by two excellent goalkeeping displays which certainly kept the score-line down, and a bit of niggle between the teams which the referee kept the lid on with a couple of timely bookings. 1-1 at the interval, Cranborne’s no.8 all but broke the crossbar with a ferocious drive on 49m before his keeper, at the other end, somehow managed to divert a goal-bound pile-driver over the top. Good end-to-end stuff and a draw would have been a fair result but eight minutes from time, Cranborne clinched it when Cullen got through and slipped the ball under the home keeper. They should have scored a third in the final minute when awarded a penalty but Conrad, concentrating very hard, managed to place the spot-kick accurately against a post! A good game for the neutral spectator.

Mother Benson

Junior Team Hopeful
1969- Rugby League Challenge Cup 1st round. Halifax v Leeds 12-17.
1986- Rugby League B A R L A National Cup. Milford v Jubilee 9-5.
1989- Cheshire FA Senior Cup 2nd round. Congleton Town v Stalybridge Celtic 3-1.
1996- North East Wales FA Cup 2nd round. Rhostyllen Villa v Rhos Aelwyd 3-1.
2003- Hope Valley Premier. Totley Sports v Dronfield Woodhouse 3-3.
2009- FA Sunday Cup 4th round. Bulls Head ( Dawley Bank) v Heywoods Irish Centre 0-4 Reversed tie played at Emley.
2012- West Yorkshire League Div.2. FC R.I.A.S.v Old Centralians 7-1 @ South Leeds Stadium.
2014- Northern League Div.1. Consett v Crook Town 4-3.
2020- West Lancs. League presidents Cup 2nd round. Horwich St Mary's Victoria v Millom 4-2.
Pretty sure that the Milford v Jubilee game was in the Yorkshire League Premier Division. Played for Milford in this at Archie Gordon. Guest referee from New Zealand officiated.

Mek

Youth Team Sub
25 Jan 92 - Cardiff 4 Chesterfield 0 @ Ninian Park.

Travelled by Train to Cardiff Central, change to local line and up one stop. Journey back featured a 45 mins stop at Newport as the onward train had no driver!

25 Jan 11 - Laverstock 1 Hamworthy Utd 1

Laverstock ahead after 20 mins from the penalty spot (Elliott Wykes) after Kieran Mulcahy was upended in the box. Equaliser from Hamworthy's No 10 who was allowed to run unopposed through the Laverstock defence.

25 Jan 16 - Hungerford 0 Winchester City 2

Mindful of a probable Wessex Washout Mrs Mek and I swopped evenings. Only 2 Monday night options available - I went for this game (over Team Solent Reserves). Hungerford had rested most of their usual starting lineup for this League Cup fixture. First half was open and competitive with Hungerford shading it. Second half more of the same - Winchester had a close range header saved at the near post and both sides had further chances before Warren Bentley broke the deadlock for the away side firing home from 6 yards after Jamie Barron had wriggled his way through several chances. Winchester grew in confidence after that and deservedly sealed the tie when a fine passing move into the box seemed to go awry, Barron won the ball back, turned sharply and fired home. A good game.

25 Jan 20 - Wimborne 0 Hendon 2. My final visit to the Cuthbury.

Last edited:

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Pretty sure that the Milford v Jubilee game was in the Yorkshire League Premier Division. Played for Milford in this at Archie Gordon. Guest referee from New Zealand officiated.
Thanks for posting. It was the first time I'd seen Milford at Archie Gordon. Will correct my records as I have it down as a League match in my list, but a cup match in the old diary.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks