January 25

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1971, Charles Manson, Tex Watkins, Susan Atkins and Patricia Krenwinkel were found guilty of the Tate-LaBianca Murders
If that is not enough of mass murderers, this was the same day that Idi Amin led a coup and became president of Uganda

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
Four standouts:

Forfar Athletic 0 Dunfermline Athletic 0 (Scottish Cup, Round Three, 3pm, 2,188)

Another memorable trip from Cumbria in the company of accountant Ian, at the time my regular travelling companion. Once again, he did the driving. More Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on the car radio. Ian was starting to win me round. We stayed over in nearby Dundee to tick Tannadice the following afternoon.

Before this tie at Station Park, we shoehorned ourselves into a pub (it’s since shut) down the road from the ground. It was absolutely heaving, with home and away fans shoulder to shoulder. No trouble, mind. Somehow, we managed to get to and from the bar. Amid flying elbows, and unexpected jolts, raising and lowering our pints was a tricky business.

The pub interlude was considerably more exciting than the game, in which First Division Forfar did a very good job of frustrating Premier Division Dunfermline. Each team was bottom of their respective division. Neither really looked like scoring. Chris Sinclair set up early chances for Pars team-mates Istvan Kozma and Derek McWilliams. Both were squandered, recklessly.

The nearest to a goal was, in the 61st minute, Hamish French drawing a brilliant save from Loons keeper (and former Dundee United colleague) Scott Thomson, who tipped on to a post a powerful shot from the edge of the penalty area. Grim-faced Pars manager Jocky Scott said: “The only consolation is that we are still in the competition.”

Paul Hegarty’s Forfar did win the bookings, 2-1. First to be shown a yellow card, for a foul, naturally, was a certain Davie Moyes.

We stood on the partly covered terrace opposite Station Park’s boxy main stand. Tidy if unexciting ground. In 1992, the pitch was turf.

Must say I do like Angus, particularly the glens; an appreciation enhanced by a fortnight’s cottage holiday near Edzell a couple of years ago.

I see the 2021 version of Davie Moyes makes the latest Private Eye Commentatorballs collection: “We are trying to protect the players from Covid but we know they all go home to families and to their wives who are exposing themselves.” (BBC2)

Loons: Scott Thomson, Dave MacKinnon, Gordon Winter (Paul Paton, HT), Ally Brazil, John Holt, Rab Morris, Ian Pryde, Ian McKenna, Stewart Petrie, Tony McAulay, Gary Whyte. Sub: Gavin Price (unused).

Pars: Andy Rhodes, Rab Shannon, Eddie Cunnington, Norrie McCathie, Davie Moyes, Craig Robertson (Billy Davies, 15), Derek McWilliams, Istvan Kozma, Hamish French, Scott Leitch, Chris Sinclair (Ian McParland, 76).

Everton 3 Blackburn Rovers 1 (FA Cup, Round Four, 3pm, 41,831)

One of my regular visits to Goodison during student days in Liverpool. We always stood on the Gwladys Street paddock. Mounted Plod made fans form two queues on the narrow pavement outside. If you stepped into the gutter, you were liable get your foot stamped on by a hoof or feel a metal tipped stick being jabbed hard between your shoulder blades. Lovely.

Everton’s Pat Van Den Hauwe scored for both teams. The centre-back eased Toffees ahead in the 13th minute. A mistimed headed clearance by Glenn Keeley fell to Van Den Hauwe, who drilled the ball home with a striker’s precision. Gary Lineker (39) doubled the lead, chipping into the bottom corner after a clever check and body swerve, before Van Den Hauwe (53) put through his own goal.

Lineker’s second, eight minutes from time, a calm finish in a one-on-one, eased home supporters’ nerves. These days, as a TV presenter, Lineker probably gets on their nerves. Blackburn, who for long spells struggled to string two passes together, should have been put away long before. Rovers’ only chance, a Simon Garner half-volley, was blocked by keeper Neville Southall’s legs. It seems hard to believe now, when every top-flight squad simply brims with foreigners, but in 1986 Belgian Van Den Hauwe was an exotic feature of the Everton set-up.

I doubtless enjoyed watching Terry Gennoe, a childhood hero at Halifax Town, playing in goal for Blackburn. There was a big turnout of fans from east Lancashire.

Everton, who’d seen off Exeter City 1-0 in round three, reached Wembley by beating Spurs (2-1), Luton Town (1-0, a replay) and Sheffield Wednesday (2-1, after extra time). Liverpool won an all-Merseyside final 3-1. Lineker scored Toffees’ goal that afternoon, too.

Everton: Neville Southall, Gary Stevens, Neil Pointon, Kevin Ratcliffe, Pat Ven Den Hauwe, Kevin Richardson, Trevor Steven, Gary Lineker, Graeme Sharp, Paul Bracewell, Kevin Sheedy (Alan Harper, 79).

Blackburn: Terry Gennoe, Jim Branagan, Mick Rathbone, Simon Barker, Glenn Keeley, Derek Fazackerley, Ian Miller, John Lowey, Chris Thompson, Simon Garner, Noel Brotherston. Sub: Jimmy Quinn.

Warrington Town 2 Blackpool Mechanics 0 (NWCL, Division Two, 7.30pm, 65)

I’ve lost count of the number of sporting trips - for football, rugby league and rugby union - made to Warrington. This remains my only visit to Cantilever Park. I daresay its facilities have improved a bit during the intervening years. 1999-00 was Warrington’s golden jubilee season. Mislaid the names of the Town scorers. Can wiretown.editor help me out?

Northallerton Town 0 Billingham Town 1 (Northern League, Division Two, 7.30pm, 320)

A Friday evening revisit to Ainderby Road, one of the Northern League’s better grounds and a 40-minute drive north of our present HQ. The clubs’ enterprise in agreeing to move the game from the following afternoon was rewarded with an attendance double the usual.

Not quite as interesting as my only other time there, in 1992, when the floodlights failed just before half-time. Luckily, the referee and linesmen were all electricians. They had the system up and running in no time. Coincidentally, the Ainderby Road lights were upgraded for the 2018-19 season - to Football League quality, no less.

There was little for the extra punters to enthuse about. It was a poor game on a heavy pitch. Runaway leaders Billy Town extended to 27 games an unbeaten start to the league season. Striker Craig Hutchinson, finding the net with a 20-yard screamer, broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute. Once the visitors had scored, a second goal for them always looked more likely than an equaliser from an ineffective Northallerton. Billingham played pretty football; not easy on a gluepot surface. Former league chairman Mike Amos was in attendance.

Other sports:

Couple of rugby union games, at opposite ends of the sport’s pecking order. In 1998, I was at Sixways for an all-ticket Pilkington Cup fifth round tie between Worcester and Newcastle. The ground was fairly undeveloped then, so the crowd ceiling was 4,500. Newcastle won 10-0. In 2014, I was at Elm Tree Farm, Apperley Bridge, in the company of hardly anybody (well, 60), to watch Old Grovians beat Yorkshire Three rivals Aireborough 41-10 on an absolute mudbath. To my surprise, Grovians issued; a glossy production, to boot. One of the home players broke a leg and spent most of the game in the groundsman’s store, swathed in blankets, waiting for an ambulance. Poor sod. It finally arrived just as I drove away.

Attachments

• Forfar_LR_1992.jpg
    Forfar_LR_1992.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Gary Lineker beats Terry Gennoe to score Everton's third.jpg
    Gary Lineker beats Terry Gennoe to score Everton's third.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Warrington_LR_25-01-00.jpg
    Warrington_LR_25-01-00.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 4
  • Northallerton_LR_2010.jpg
    Northallerton_LR_2010.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

barnetbee

Youth Team Starter
1992 - Tottenham Hotspur 0 Oldham Athletic 0 (Barclays league Division 1)
1997 - Barnet 0 Darlington 0 (Nationwide league Division 3)
2003 - Barnet 2 Burton Albion 2 (Nationwide conference)
2014 - Barnet 1 Southport 0 (Skrill conference)
2020 - Bromley 1 Barnet 2 (Vanarama National league)

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
On this day in 1964, Doncaster Rovers gained their record victory, and inflicted Darlington's record defeat, winning 10-0 at Belle Vue. But, I wasn't born then.
And in 1995, Eric Cantona launched his famous kung-fu kick at Selhurst Park. My then wife was present, but I wasn't

So onto games I did go to.

FA Cup 4th Round
Sunderland 0-0 Manchester United
Att: 35,484

After relegation the previous season, Sunderland spent the whole of the 1985-86 season in the bottom of half of Division Two, never getting above 12th. The visitors were the Cup holders, and arrived sitting top of the First Division.
With no goals to report, the talking point was the sending off of England captain Bryan Robson for kicking out at Barry Venison. With capacity changes due to improved safety legislation, Roker would never again host a crowd as large as for this game.

Isthmian League Division One
Croydon 3-1 Tooting & Mitcham United
Att: 151

At the time, I lived close to Selhurst Park, and was obviously looking for something to occupy myself after an early shift. Both sides were struggling at the bottom of the table - Croydon, newly promoted, eventually escaped relegation by two points, while the visitors finished bottom. I have no record of the scorers of this game, but Croydon were the better side throughout and deserved their victory.

West Midlands Regional League Division One
Bustleholme 1-2 Darlaston Town 1874
Att: 90 (H/C)

At first glance, 11th place v 7th looked like it would be an even contest. In reality, Darlaston were 12 points clear of their hosts, and have two games in hand, so they looked the most likely winners. However, on the night, Bustleholme looked the better side, and will be wondering how they didn't win. The answer was Darlaston's keeper, who pulled off a string of fine saves, including from a first half penalty.

The match was played in a good spirit with precious little back chat or arguing with the officials - a far cry from my game the previous evening, and good to see. Bustleholme had much the better of the first half, but couldn't find a way past the Darlaston keeper, who was in fine form, saving a couple of one on ones, then a penalty too. Darlaston, on the other hand, scored with pretty much their only attack of the first half, to go in one up at half time.

The second half was only about three minutes old when Bustleholme got their deserved equaliser. A lob from the left went over the keeper's head, but was cleared off the line, only for the rebound to be hammered home (no idea of the players involved as there was no teamsheet).

Bustleholme continued to have more of the possession, and when a shot eventually beat the keeper, it cannoned back off the bar. Darlaston again had few chances, but a fine strike saw them regain the lead. A last minute chance for Bustleholme was cleared off the line, and that was that.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
2014 Hants Intermediate Cup R4 1345 Hamble Club 7 West Wight 2 16
Both teams unbeaten in their respective leagues (HPFL Div 1 v IOW) and the visitors kept it closeish for an hour, but in the end were well beaten. In fact, they took the lead on 27 mins through a Dye header but three in eight mins just before the break (Golden, Kneller and Watts) put the hosts in control. After the restart Dye pulled another goal back but in the end two more from Watts (one a penalty), one more from Kneller, and an own goal, made it a convincing win in the end for the home team. Hamble were dumped out at Cadnam in the QF and lost a couple of league games to finish only second, the latter being the title-deciding loss to Bush Hill (covered in 26th Apr RWDYG).

2020 FAC4 1500 Southampton 1 Tottenham H. 1 29282
At the 'bargain' price of £20 + £1-25 booking fee I couldn't miss this - two full-strength PL teams, one of them Tottenham, and a good match, one of Mourinho's earliest in charge. Quite even in the first half, a few chances for each side, but goalless. After the break Saints started well, but sub Lamela helped the visitors' midfield and they took the lead on 58 mins, a great run by Lo Celso, a pass by Lamela, and a great finish by Son, and despite efforts by VAR to disallow it for offside or a foul, the goal stood. The home side came back and got an equaliser on 87 mins as Ings crossed for Boufal to hammer it in. The replay was won by the Spurs 3-2 in another decent game, and then they lost horribly to Norwich in the next round.
Spoilt for choice for links, so I'll stick to this one - report and highlights in one:
Southampton 1-1 Tottenham: Boufal strikes late to earn Saints an FA Cup replay - BBC Sport

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Thursday @ 21-30.
Spain tier 1.
CP Merida 0 v 0 Barcelona.

@ Romano Jose Fouto Stadium.
stadium_102.jpg

CP Merida - Leal Rodriguez , Jose Maria Duque , Luis Sierra , Monreal Rodriguez , Manuel Momparlet , Ramon Korino , David Pirri , Urbano Cuadros , Sinval de Campos , Prieto Velasco , Quique Martin.
Subs - Goran Vucevic for Pirri , Reyes Gonzalez for Martin , Miguel Guerrero for Velasco.
Manager - Sergei Kresic.

3652_cp-merida-logo.png-v-1a80080e35169166c68640ce0a190809.png

Barcelona - Carlos Busquets Barreso , Gheorghe Popescu , Albert Ferrer , Pep Guardiola , Sergi Barjuan , Nadal Homar , Moreno Rodriguez , Bakero Escudero , Luis Figo , Ivan De la Pena , Meha Kodro.
Subs - Carreras Ferrer for Rodriguez , Abelardo Fernandez Artuna for De la Pena , Guillermo Amor for Bakero.
Manager - Johan Cruyff.

Referee - Carlos Megia Davila.

Short break with 4 top tier games in 5 days. Think I was with Munster on this one and nearly dropped a bollock with Merida , set my alarm but forgot to adjust the hour on the clock. We made the train at Madrid Atocha by about 20 minutes.
We'd been to Vallecano v Oviedo on Wednesday night and had a Pension overnight.

The Merida game was nearly sold out , but we got tickets as soon as we got there to make sure , then there was plenty of time to find another Hotel for the night. That was not a problem and we had a blank day on the Friday so no rush to do anything next morning , no need for an alarm clock .
Rattie and Pheasant were around on this trip , def at Salamanca on the Saturday.
Seissy joined us at Merida.

Merida was the only game on the Thursday evening for TV purposes , the audience at home would soon have turned it off , it was crap.
Both sets of forwards were well controlled by defences , Barca had a few chances and were slightly the better side.
Barca were well on top in midfield with a good display by someone you would all know 'Pep'.
He had a fantastic career as a player , one of few who made the transition from great player to great player.
https://www.national-football-teams.com/player/13041/Pep_Guardiola.html

1566d.jpg-s-l1600.jpg-59928235.jpg

CP Merida were relegated at the end of this season (95/96) , they bounced straight back but were relegated again and spent two more seasons at tier 2 , they were reasonably successful seasons ( 9th and 6th ) but at the end of 99/00 they were declared bankrupt and dissolved.
24 x games , 4 x 0-0 's, 2 x double's . images477H8NIO.png 13 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

1969 Fulham 1 v 2 West Brom.
1975 Stafford 1 v 2 Peterborough ( 31,160 ).
1976 RC Mechelen 1 v 1 Ostende.
2004 Cameroun 1 v 1 Algeria (Sousse).
2006 Angola 0 v 0 RD Congo (Military , Cairo @ 17-15).
2006 Cameroun 2 v 0 Togo (Military , Cairo @ 20-00).

-1995--"When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea."-----------------Hilarious interview post assault with footage of the assault-----

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1986 Southwark Sports 1 Finchley 2 (London Senior Cup 1st Round)
1992 Tottenham Hotspur 0 Oldham Athletic 0 Att 20,843 (Div 1)
1997 Wingate & Finchley 0 Braintree Town 1 Att 88 (Isthmian Div 3)
2002 Northern Spirit 1 Adelaide City 0 Att 2,852 (Australian National Soccer League)
2004 Manchester City 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1 Att 28,840 (FA Cup 4th Round)
2011 Wingate & Finchley 3 Maldon & Tiptree 0 Att 58 (Isthmian Div 1 North)
2014 Wingate & Finchley 3 Thamesmead Town 1 Att 115 (Isthmian Premier Div)
2020 Wingate & Finchley 0 Brightlingsea Regent 0 Att 102 (Isthmian Premier Div)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Starter
Football

1975 West Ham United - 1 Swindon Town - 1 FA Cup Fourth Round (35,679)

1986 Pinchbeck United - 3 Eye United - 2 Peterborough & District League Premier Division

2003 Norwich City - 1 Dagenham & Redbridge - 0 (21,164) FA Cup Fourth Round

2014 Norfolk U18 - 2 Hertfordshire U18 - 1 East Anglian Counties Competition @ The FDC Bowthorpe 9at the time a rare opportunity to visit the ground)

Running

1976 Southern Counties Cross Country Trial - Chigwell Row 19-43 10th

1987 Norfolk & Suffolk Cross Country League - Lowestoft (9.3 km) 34-17 8th

1997 Southern Counties Cross Country Champs - Parliament Hill Fields (15 km) 59-30 619th

2006 East Anglian Cross Country League - Colchester Garrison 42-39 36th

2014 Norwich parkrun (178) 23-25 121st

2020 Sloughbottom parkrun (38) 23-30 50th

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
FAC 4.
Leatherhead 2 Leicester City 3 @ Filbert Street.
Att. 32,090.

FAC 4.
Peterborough United 1 Carlisle United 0.
Att. 8,311.

Division 1.
Nottm For 1 Everton 0.
Att. 17,009.

NCEL Premier..
Arnold Town 2 Belper Town 1.

Conference North.
Guiseley 3 Hinckley United 2.
Att. 336.

MFL 1.
Leicester Road 1 Lichfield City 1.

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1982, Monday

A few days ago I wrote about a Thursday afternoon Scottish Cup tie at Civil Service Strollers that ended 3-3. Four days later I was at the replay at Central Park.

Got the train over from Edinburgh – no Fife Circle in those days – Cowdenbeath was the terminus for most services with only a few rush hour trains extending to the wilds of Lochgelly and Cardenden. I went with a mate from University on a clapped out old 3-Car DMU with threadbare seats and rattling windows and a all-pervasive aroma of disinfectant and pish. Being mid-winter the windows were welded open but the heaters below the seats were dangerously hot to the touch. Folk were known to melt the soles of their shoes if they fell asleep with them in contact with these contraptions.

We arrived at Cowden International – a bleak spot on an embankment above the High Street. Pulling in to the station we could see that the floodlights were on at Central Park, tracing shafts of light through the mist that hovered menacingly overhead. The snow and ice had largely cleared by this time although the steep path down from the station to the High Street remained treacherous. Presumably there was some sort of demarcation dispute as to who should clear it – BR or the Council.

At the foot of the slope were the welcoming lights of the New Goth, although in those days I seem to think it was called the Cross Guns. What a place it was. On the plus side drink was cheaper than almost anywhere else in Scotland. That’s it really for plus sides. Depending on when you went in it was either dead as a Western Isles wake or something like a Wild West Saloon. Teatime on a January Monday was the former. A few old boys slumped in their seats or balanced precariously on stools, the local bike touting for trade, a couple of plukey teenagers lobbing darts in the general direction of the dartboard and a disinterested barman.

There’s another pub in Cowden called the Old Cross Guns which is confusing me somewhat. Cowden Andy can maybe clarify if I am right in thinking the New Goth and Cross Guns were one and the same place. Maybe he was that plukey youth playing darts. Nowadays it's called Diamonds Bar and Grill. The name may suggest it has improved but my field research suggests otherwise.

Still, the T was cheap. There may have been a week-old pie festering in one of those glass things on the bar with wire racks but I think, even in those days, I would have baulked at eating there.

Come 7.20 we dragged ourselves away and crossed the street for:

Scottish Cup First Round Replay
Cowdenbeath v Civil Service Strollers, 6-1, H.T. 3-0 Att 210
At Central Park

Cowden: Ray Allan, Keith Ferguson, David Hunter, Andy Rolland, Rab Russell, Grant Tierney, Billy Steele, David Park, Jim Liddle, Jim Marshall and Gordon Forrest
Strollers: David Gordon, Darling, Davidson, McLelland, Wight, Boyle, C;lapperton, Rodgers, Ashton, Cruickshanks, Callaghan.
Ref: Bryan Robertson (East Kilbride)

A late equaliser for Strollers led to this replay. Perhaps the Edinburgh side would have wished they hadn’t bothered after Cowden gave them an absolute schooling in the replay. Cowden scored almost at will and could easily have won by more.

Gordon Forrest scored a hat trick with Davie Park, Billy Steele and Jim Marshall getting the others. Ashton, Jeff (?) I think, got a consolation goal for Strollers towards the end.

It was so one-sided that it was barely entertaining – a far cry from the 3-3 draw at Muirhouse a few days earlier.

No programme issued – Cowdenbeath didn’t do them in 1981/2 or 1982/3.

It was cold and the trains back to Edinburgh were at ten past the hour. The choice was to miss the last five minutes and return to civilisation, or spend another hour in the Old Cross Guns waiting for the next train. We opted to leave early.

Cowden met Gala Fairydean in the next round and it didn’t end well for the Blue Brazil.

Jan 25 82.jpg

New goth.jpg

Cowden aerial.jpg

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1997 Read Construction Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division Corwen Amateurs v British Aerospace 2-2

1998 League of Wales Conwy United v Welshpool Town 0-0

1999 FA Umbro Trophy Third Round Radcliffe Borough v Northwich Victoria Won 1-2
Games against Radcliffe for Vics were a novelty back then. Possibly the only time I saw the two clubs meet.

2000 First North Western Trains North West Counties League Division Two
Warrington Town v Blackpool Mechanics Won 2-0
Same games as Stoodley Pike. Working on getting the scorers when I return home

2003 North West Counties League Division One Warrington Town v Winsford United Won 3-0

2011 Evo-Stik League Division One North Warrington Town v Cammell Laird Lost 0-1

2014 A share with Andy D and the only time I have had an abandonment for this reason. Still counted it of course.

Windsor Foodservice Central Midlands League Black Dragon South Division
Barrowby v Hucknall Town 1 a 1

(abandoned 45 mins - lightning). A huge storm just before half time. Ref waited for a while but with no let up called the game off on safety reasons. It did eventually clear away but by then it was too late. A pitch in a sports field. Not sure if railed or just roped now. They did issue.

2020 Taff Ely & Rhymney Valley League Greyhound Cup Quarter Final AFC Bargoed v Cwrt Rawlin 0-2

A shared trip with Andy D and a hop catch-up ground, having missed it then (probably was a Friday night match). Wonderful ground with a large stand down one side and another behind one end, shared with the rugby club. I think one had been added since it was hopped. I had the old hop programme as none was issued on the day as you would expect. Tea and coffee was on sale though. So glad we managed to get there. A fabulous ground for the level.
1611564177879.png
1611564206036.png

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
2011 - Arsenal 3 Ipswich Town 0 - LC Semi-final, 2nd leg - My first and so far only visit to the Emirates
2014 - Ipswich Town 2 Reading 0 - Championship
2018 - WBA U23s 2 Ipswich Town U23s 1 - made the evening trip as game was played on the main pitch at St George's park
2020 - Two game Saturday
Ipswich Town Under 18s 1 Watford Under 18s 2 - Professional Development league at Playford Rd Training ground - 11am
Ipswich Town 1 Lincoln City 0 - League One - 3pm

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1975 Leeds 0 Wimbledon 0 crowd 46,230
FA Cup 4th Round, Elland Rd, Leeds

My first ever away game( what a glory hunter eh? Where were you at Grantham on a dark Tuesday night) but in my defence I was only 10 and hadn’t managed to persuade my parents to take me and my brothers to Burnley as they were convinced we would lose heavily but with two special trains leaving from Wimbledon and 2,000 fans going to Leeds we had to be part of the trip. The train took a very strange route via places like Swindon and Leicester but eventually we arrived only for a crowd of onlookers to be gawping at us like we were aliens, not the friendliest of welcomes. Everything seemed massive and busy as from what little I can remember Leeds passed and passed the ball but couldn’t get through our defence. At half time with no score my mum told me not to get my hopes up as we couldn’t possibly hold out, and with nine minutes left it seemed she was right as Leeds were awarded a penalty which of course Dickie Guy managed to save from Peter Lorimer and we earnt a replay and massive publicity. After the game we joined a massive queue for buses back to the station and got on our special trains home, on which we were served hot food in recognition of the fact we weren’t hooligans like most trains of that nature were supposed to serve, arriving late at night, made quite an impression on my 10 year old self.

1986 Weymouth 1 Stafford Rangers 1 crowd 900
Gola League, Recreation ground, Weymouth

I must have read somewhere that Weymouth were moving grounds as I wanted to see the place where Wimbledon had played many times in the late 60s and early 70s before they decamped to their new out of town stadium. We had lost at Millwall in the FA Cup 3rd round so had a blank Saturday so I would have jumped on the train all the way to Weymouth, the ground was quite central, handily placed for a supermarket chain like Asda to buy them out. I can’t say I recall a lot about the game but I liked the ground, it was quite quirky, the game ended 1-1 and Doherty scored for the home side but that’s about all I can find about the game, dont recall any away fans although there were probably some there making the long trip like me.

1997 Manchester United 2 Wimbledon 1 crowd 55,314
Premier League, Old Trafford, Manchester

Four days before this we had drawn 1-1 at the same ground in the Fa Cup 4th Round, Robbie Earle’s last minute equaliser earning a deserved draw after Paul Scholes had scored a few minutes earlier and the following Wednesday we made the long trip again, this time by road for a league game. Looking at the highlights Man U hit the bar a couple of times through Solskjaer and Cantona whereas we hit the bar ourselves through Marcus Gayle so there were a few chances but they were mainly on top. After 61 minutes Chris Perry put us ahead diverting a corner past Schmeichel but this only served to galvanise them and they hit back with goals from Ryan Giggs(76) and Andy Cole(83) to give them the points which they probably deserved although it was a bit gutting to lose having led with 14 minutes left.DA225B7D-C94B-4F4C-9D3B-35B2DBFCB5BF.jpeg

2003 Hartley Wintney 2 AFC Wimbledon 0 crowd 1,392
Combined Counties, Memorial Playing Fields, Hartley Wintney, Hants

Six years after Old Trafford, we made the relatively short trip to Hartley Wintney on the Surrey/Hants border for a league game on their sloping pitch and came unstuck against a resolute home side who wanted it more on the day. On arrival at Winchfield station there was a red London bus that someone had found to help transport fans the mile or so into the village which was a nice touch as most people didn’t know the way. On the pitch we struggled to find our normal rhythm and goals from Dorkin(31) and Haddow(70) gave the home side victory. Despite losing it was a good day out and a very warm welcome from our hosts.E10299A6-2FD0-43C4-B4EA-037D8A175E16.jpeg

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
African Cup of Nations again in 2006 and 2008

For Egypt, 2006 - I had already picked up all the grounds. The day's matches were in the Military Academy Stadium in Cairo, the second of the grounds there and the crowds were miserably low. This was the day I had quite a bit of free time to travel around, and I got out to the pyramids, where Steve and I were trying to name a local camel as "Mido"

Here is the obligatory "Cheltenham Shirt at the Pyramids" shot
The Pyramid Shot. M.JPG

On the field, Angola and DR Congo played out a scoreless draw, which brought the Congo points total to 4, while getting Angola off the mark. This was followed by Cameroon's second win, 2-0 over Togo with Samuel Eto'o and Albert Meyong Ze getting the goals in the second half. Cameroon were therefore into the knock out rounds, while Togo were out. Angola's chances would depend on beating Togo while Cameroon beat DR Congo and then getting the goal difference right. It did not work out for Angola as a 3-2 win left their goal difference one poorer than DR Congo, beaten 2-0 by Cameroon in the fnal game

Ghana 2008 - Sekondi was the last of the grounds we needed, and we headed out to stay in a mosquito riddled hotel overlooking the local market
takoradi market.jpg

The matches would be the second round of games in Group B, with the Ivory Coast (playing Nigeria) and Mali (against Benin) each having a 1-0 win to their credit from the first round. Out first game was Ivory Coast against Benin with the Ivorians having a fairly easy win against a poor Benin side. The result was 4-1 with Benin's consolation coming late in the game. Mali and Nigeria then fought out a scoreless draw, which meant that come the final day. Nigeria would have to hope Ivory Coast would win again, and that they could score enough in their final game against Benin to finish ahead on goal difference. In this case, the results fell in Nigeria's favour.
Sekondi Stadium 1.jpg
Paul (RIP) arrives at Sekondi Stadium
Fans Nigeria.jpg
P1250273 m.JPG

So that accounts for four matches and one ground. It is not a good day for Cheltenham games, all at Whaddon Road, there are two without goals and one defeat
2003 - Cheltenham Town 0-0 Chesterfield (4423)
2011 - Cheltenham Town 1-2 Lincoln City (2292)
2013 - Cheltenham Town 0-0 Rochdale (2348)

Three more revisits, a friendly and two FA Trophy matches - in all cases, my second and most recent visit
1989 - Nimes Olympqiue 1-2 Czechoslovakia XI (1000) Friendly at Jean Bouin Stadium (30 FF no programme)
1994 - Grays Athletic 2-0 Farnborough Town (300). FA Trophy First ROund Replay (£4+50p)
1999 - Hitchin Town 3-3 Enfield (519) FA Trophy, Third Round (£5+£1)

And new grounds
1986 - Sklemersdale United 2-0 Ashton United (70) North West Counties, Division 2
1988 - Ludgvan 2-1 RAF Saint Mawgan (48) Cornwall Combination (£2, Programme included). This was a Monday afternoon game, for a local feast day - being a working day for most, opposition was always provided by a team such as the RAF teams. I think this type of game has not gone by the wayside. A decent game on a muddy pitch, followed by Truro City 0-8 QPR, 7p.m. at Treyew Road. Technically a cup, but in reality a friendly, It was 14 years before I went back. Future Cheltenham mis-manager Martin Allen was in the QPR XI, while Mark Falco was the top scorer with four first half goals.
1992 - Bournemouth Sports 1-0 Westland Sports (25), Dorset Combination (75p, Programme Included)
2012 - FC RIASA 7-1 Old Centralians (20), West Yorkshire, Division 1 (Free+none). The initials are for Richmond International Academic & Soccer Academy, which is a branch of the American University in Richmond. For those that do not know, the University in question is in Surrey. They played three seasons in the West Yorkshire League
2020 - Deportivo Alaves 1-2 Villareal (13,898) La Liga (€55, €1 booking fee, no programme)
Match Report.
A really god day this, except the need to drive through poor night-time conditions (it was pissing down most of the way), in order to get to Madrid for the Sunday midday game

IMG_20200125_145733 m.jpg

IMG_20200125_155117 m.jpg
IMG_20200125_174131 m.jpg

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
1998 FA Cup 4th Round
Stevenage Borough v Newcastle United 1-1
Attendance 8,040
Scorers: Grazioli; Shearer
Top-flight Newcastle United tried hard to get this game played at a neutral venue due to safety concerns. But after plenty of public statements from both sides, the FA eventually agreed that the Conference team's Broadhall Way Stadium was indeed safe.
A temporary stand was erected at the southern end of the ground which was, at the time, only a small terrace. Three years later a permanent stand would be built at this end to house away supporters. However, the attendance at this cuptie is yet to be beaten.
Living locally, I was able to visit the ground earlier in the week and buy a ticket (no online options in those days). I chose to sit in the West Stand which gave me a close-up view of all the razzmatazz that preceeded the game itself. I normal watch League games from quite high up and away from the pitch, so it was quite novel to be so close to the Premier League players. And you could see they were in a real dog fight with their Non-League opponents.
Shearer scored within three minutes of kickoff but Stevenage Borough (nowadays plain old Stevenage FC) bounced back and put Newcastle under a lot pressure in the first half. Grazioli had the ball in the net after 33 minutes but he was ruled off side. Nine minutes later he headed in a corner for the equaliser.
Newcastle turned the tables in the second half, but Stevenage held out for a replay and more glory, controversy but ultimate defeat.

aiwa

Junior Team Star
1989 West Brom 2-0 SM Caen (F) 88/9 remains my most games seen in a season. I'd go and watch almost anything, such as this unusual friendly against French side SM Caen. There was a link between Albion and someone in the Caen camp, can't remember who it was. Graham Rix was probably playing for Caen. Albion did a cut-down match programme and I think there were about 4,000 in the ground.

1992 West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Swansea City (FL D3) Albion were looking set for a comfortable victory when Swansea threw on a substitute called Steve Thornber midway through the second-half. Thornber (who it would not be unfair to describe as a lower league journeyman) proceeded to score a fine hat-trick in 15 minutes to win the game for Swans. Remarkable stuff.

1995 Aston Villa 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur (Prem) No memories, even though the crowd was over 40,000.

1997 Sutton Coldfield Town 1-1 Bedworth United (SL) No memories.

2000 Aston Villa 0-0 Leicester City (LCSF 1st leg) Disappointing first leg for Villa, who lost the second leg 1-0 but there were to be two trips to Wembley in the FA Cup to come.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
Obviously got my Man Utd games confused as I did the one for the wrong date!!! Nurse where’s my pills

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
1992 West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Swansea City (FL D3) Albion were looking set for a comfortable victory when Swansea threw on a substitute called Steve Thornber midway through the second-half. Thornber (who it would not be unfair to describe as a lower league journeyman) proceeded to score a fine hat-trick in 15 minutes to win the game for Swans. Remarkable stuff.
Steve Thornber, a Dewsbury lad, had five years at Halifax after starting out as one of the club's juniors. I'd say he is remembered fondly by Town supporters. Played 100+ games over a five-year period dominated by financial crises. A little, blond lad, midfielder Thornber managed always to look busy and involved. Probably stood him in good stead with a succession of managers! Appears to have stayed in the game after hanging up his boots: youth coaching jobs at Bradford and Scunthorpe.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Obviously got my Man Utd games confused as I did the one for the wrong date!!! Nurse where’s my pills

No wonder- crop;jpeg_quality=65.jpg

PS. Have you got any holiday snaps of Sunny Manchester , some seem to be using this thread for holiday snaps.

Last edited:

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Star
1982, Monday

A few days ago I wrote about a Thursday afternoon Scottish Cup tie at Civil Service Strollers that ended 3-3. Four days later I was at the replay at Central Park.

Got the train over from Edinburgh – no Fife Circle in those days – Cowdenbeath was the terminus for most services with only a few rush hour trains extending to the wilds of Lochgelly and Cardenden. I went with a mate from University on a clapped out old 3-Car DMU with threadbare seats and rattling windows and a all-pervasive aroma of disinfectant and pish. Being mid-winter the windows were welded open but the heaters below the seats were dangerously hot to the touch. Folk were known to melt the soles of their shoes if they fell asleep with them in contact with these contraptions.

We arrived at Cowden International – a bleak spot on an embankment above the High Street. Pulling in to the station we could see that the floodlights were on at Central Park, tracing shafts of light through the mist that hovered menacingly overhead. The snow and ice had largely cleared by this time although the steep path down from the station to the High Street remained treacherous. Presumably there was some sort of demarcation dispute as to who should clear it – BR or the Council.

At the foot of the slope were the welcoming lights of the New Goth, although in those days I seem to think it was called the Cross Guns. What a place it was. On the plus side drink was cheaper than almost anywhere else in Scotland. That’s it really for plus sides. Depending on when you went in it was either dead as a Western Isles wake or something like a Wild West Saloon. Teatime on a January Monday was the former. A few old boys slumped in their seats or balanced precariously on stools, the local bike touting for trade, a couple of plukey teenagers lobbing darts in the general direction of the dartboard and a disinterested barman.

There’s another pub in Cowden called the Old Cross Guns which is confusing me somewhat. Cowden Andy can maybe clarify if I am right in thinking the New Goth and Cross Guns were one and the same place. Maybe he was that plukey youth playing darts. Nowadays it's called Diamonds Bar and Grill. The name may suggest it has improved but my field research suggests otherwise.

Still, the T was cheap. There may have been a week-old pie festering in one of those glass things on the bar with wire racks but I think, even in those days, I would have baulked at eating there.

Come 7.20 we dragged ourselves away and crossed the street for:

Scottish Cup First Round Replay
Cowdenbeath v Civil Service Strollers, 6-1, H.T. 3-0 Att 210
At Central Park

Cowden: Ray Allan, Keith Ferguson, David Hunter, Andy Rolland, Rab Russell, Grant Tierney, Billy Steele, David Park, Jim Liddle, Jim Marshall and Gordon Forrest
Strollers: David Gordon, Darling, Davidson, McLelland, Wight, Boyle, C;lapperton, Rodgers, Ashton, Cruickshanks, Callaghan.
Ref: Bryan Robertson (East Kilbride)

A late equaliser for Strollers led to this replay. Perhaps the Edinburgh side would have wished they hadn’t bothered after Cowden gave them an absolute schooling in the replay. Cowden scored almost at will and could easily have won by more.

Gordon Forrest scored a hat trick with Davie Park, Billy Steele and Jim Marshall getting the others. Ashton, Jeff (?) I think, got a consolation goal for Strollers towards the end.

It was so one-sided that it was barely entertaining – a far cry from the 3-3 draw at Muirhouse a few days earlier.

No programme issued – Cowdenbeath didn’t do them in 1981/2 or 1982/3.

It was cold and the trains back to Edinburgh were at ten past the hour. The choice was to miss the last five minutes and return to civilisation, or spend another hour in the Old Cross Guns waiting for the next train. We opted to leave early.

Cowden met Gala Fairydean in the next round and it didn’t end well for the Blue Brazil.

View attachment 8210

View attachment 8212

View attachment 8211
The Goth changed its name to the Gun sometime in the 70s and would have been called that in 82.
A few years later someone else took over and called it The New Goth.
The Old Cross Guns used to be called the Raith Arms before it changed its name.
Funny enough the guy who done that later owned the New Goth for years before selling up to the Diamonds lot, his daughter currently owns the OCG.

Few Goth facts stories for you.
When it was the Gun the Skids used to practice there so the old jakes would have heard Into the Valley etc first.

I met both Simon O’Brien (Damon from Brookside) and Eddie the Eagle in the New Goth.

Oh and aye I was at the Strollers game instead of playing darts and talking to the local bike😀

I was only 15 and it was a school night so no pub.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks