January 22

stingray

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 22 January 2005 - Barnet 1-0 Exeter City (Conference)
Tuesday 22 January 2008 - Bedworth United 0-2 Leighton Town (Southern League Midlands)
Saturday 22 January 2011 - Leighton Town 1-1 Marlow (Southern League Central)

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1986- Rugby League Div.1. Halifax v Widnes 8-15 @ The Shay due to weather related problems at Thrum Hall.
1994- NRFA County Cup QF. Eastfield v Grangetown 2-4.
2000- Wearside Div.2. Ferryhill Athletic v Thornaby on Tees 2-2. @ Dean Bank Sports Park.
2003- Avon Insurance League Cup 3rd round. Chesterfield v Tranmere Rovers 3-2.
2004- ISFA Cup SF. Queen Elizabeth G S (Blackburn) v Repton School 4-0.
2005- WRCA Div.2. Kirkburton v Ventus Yeadon Celtic 3-2.
2006- FA Sunday Cup 4th round. Hessle Rangers v Seymour K F C A 0-1 @ Goole.
2011- WRFA County Challenge Cup 4th round. Shire Academicals v Boroughbridge 1-5.
2017- FA Sunday Cup 4th round. Ferrybridge Progressive W M C v Oyster Martyrs 1-0 @ Pontefract Collieries.

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1989 Welsh Cup, 4th rnd: Abergavenny Thursdays 1 Kidderminster Harriers 2 (att 1,500)
A Sunday afternoon and a large crowd at Abergavenny. It was sad to see how far and how fast Thursdays fell in the years that followed.

1991 Southern Lge, Premier Div: Rushden Town 4 Bromsgrove Rovers 1 (308)

1994 Herefordshire Lge, Senior Cup, SF: Hinton 0 Conquest 1 (28)

Conquest were an Army side based at the SAS headquarters in Hereford. Reaching a cup final was a challenge to the limited publicity the team wanted.

1997 Northern Lge Cup, 3rd rnd: Evenwood Town 2 Northallerton 2 aet 5-4 on pens (68)

2000 SJFA Ayrshire Cup, 1st rnd: Ardrossan Winton Rovers 0 Kilbirnie Ladeside 4 (170)

There was talk of Ardrossan moving at the time, but 21 years on they're still at Winton Park. Recent photos suggest the ground has been spruced up, but the large covered area behind the goal looks to have gone.
1883a.jpg
1883b.jpg

2005 Irish Lge, Premier Div: Crusaders 1 Larne 1 (400)

2006 Seaton Challenge Cup, 1st rnd: East Budleigh 3 Seaton Town 1 (38)

2011 Irish Lge, Championship 2: Moyola Park 2 PSNI 3 (74)

A day trip that seemed a bad idea when freezing fog delayed my flight out from Liverpool, as well as hitting matches across Northern Ireland. Even some 3Gs were off frozen, but thankfully the artificial pitch at Moyola Park's new ground was playable.
3529.jpg

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
Three notably high scoring cup ties, of which I remember nothing other than the fact that the second and third games were as good as the scores would suggest.

1994 FA Trophy 1st Round
St Albans City v Merthyr Tydfil 4-5

I was also at this one as I visited Clarence Park for the first time. My memories are faded but recall it was a great game and I don’t think Merthyr, at the time an established Conference side were ever behind. A decent crowd too I recall with a reasonable number supporting the visitors.

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 22nd January 1977

Derby County 4 Newcastle United 2 (23,036)

An enthralling Division One encounter for a schoolboy on his first trip to the Basesball Ground. I went alone, don't tell Mum, on the East Midlands Football Special from Mansfield Bus Station, which ran to all the Rams home fixtures at the time. On departing the double decker I followed everyone else, even into the same turnstiles, it transpired later that I had entered the Normanton End. Derby scored heavily through Derek Hales (2), Steve Powell and Roy McFarland with the Magpies replying through Alan Gowling and a late Tommy Craig penalty. Magpies manager Gordon Lee departed Newcastle the following week to replace Billy Bingham at Everton. Two of Newcastle players on show, Stewart Barrowclough and Paul Cannell would feature in a Mansfield Town shirt during the twilight of their careers.
derby-county-the-baseball-ground-south-stand-1-august-1991-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

bluearmybob

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1991. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v OXFORD UNITED (1) Zenith Data Systems Cup 1/4 Final. Att 7,465.
1994. IPSWICH TOWN (0) WIMBLEDON (0) Premier League. Att 12,372
2001. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v CRYSTAL PALACE (1) FA Youth Cup 4th Rd. Att 533.
2011. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v DONCASTER ROVERS (2) Championship. Att 17,298.

NeilH

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1983 Thanet United 3 Cambridge City 1
Southern League Southern Division

First visit to Hartsdown Park, after helping get the kit into the changing rooms remember climbing up the steps to the pitch......very continental! City well beaten, with probably less than 100 in the ground but don't have an official figure. My main memory of the trip was watching Keith Deller win the Darts World Championship on the TV on the coach on the way home.........

1989 The Anchor 2 Cambridge Cosmos 3
Cambridge & District Sunday League

Pub team from Little Downham near Ely, I played left back, the game on the local Rec.

1994 Cambridge City 2 Trowbridge Town 0
Southern League Premier Division

Just over 200 at Milton Road, goals from Laurie Ryan and Darren Edey.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Carling Premiership
Chelsea 1-1 Aston Villa
Att: 18,341

Worked a 6 til 2 shift before heading to the game. 17th v 9th at the start of play, Dean Saunders put Villa ahead shortly before half time, with Mark Stein levelling midway through the second half.

League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg
Manchester United 2-1 Sunderland (Agg 3-3, Sunderland win 2-1 on pens)
Att: 71,019

A game that burst to life in the final couple of minutes of extra time, followed by one of the most ludicrous penalty shoot-outs in history.
Former Sunderland loanees Johnny Evans and Danny Welbeck combined to put the home side in front on 37 minutes - Welbeck flicking on a corner for Evans to score, putting the teams level on aggregate
With extra time coming to an end, and United set to go through on away goals to face their City rivals in the Final, De Gea allowed a 20 yard shot from former United youngster Bardsley to slip underneath him into the net. Sunderland had just 2 minutes to hold out for a place at Wembley, but Hernandez levelled in stoppage time.
A combination of poor penalties and good saves followed. For United, only Darren Fletcher scored - Welbeck and Jones fired over, while Mannone saved from Januzaj and Rafael. Sunderland were only marginally better, scoring through Alonso and Ki, while Gardner missed the target and De Gea saved from Steven Fletcher and Johnson.

Southern League Division One South
Cinderford Town 0-1 AFC Totton
Att: 81

Only goal difference separated the two teams at the start of play, both having identical records of wins, draws and defeats. True to form, there was very little between the two sides on a chilly Tuesday night in Gloucestershire, and the home side will probably feel that they merited a draw.

This was a feisty game at times, occasionally threatening to boil over, but the only dismissals were the two managers after an altercation following a foul on the touchline.

The only goal of the night came on 28 minutes, a free kick from the left was cleared only as far as the taker, who whipped a perfect curling cross onto the head of Chugg to score.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Edit: Missed one
Bob Lord Trophy
Darlington 5-2 Macclesfield Town
Att: 2.125

Two goals from David Corner, and one each for David Cork, John Borthwick and Paul Willis

Kentish exile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
2011 L2
Torquay 1-1 Gillingham

Always my favourite away day, even if the game wasn't too good.

Luke Rooney scored a late equaliser for the Gills.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Four of note...

Saturday 22nd January 1983~
Division Three
Portsmouth 1-0 Oxford United

...getting the retaliation in first, perhaps. A goal from Billy Rafferty in front of a crowd of 10,882...

Wednesday 22nd January 1986~
League Cup Quarter-Final
Oxford United 3-1 Portsmouth

...thirty-five years ago, and yet this one still really really hurts.

After the drama of the three matches in the previous round against Tottenham, we went into this one with high hopes - after all, we were in second place in Div.2 while Oxford were in stinking form near the bottom of Div.1. Chairman John Deacon had got into an entertaining war of words with Robert Maxwell, demanding that the tie be changed in Fratton Park due to the piddling capacity at the Manor Ground, but it was water off a fat man's back, and in the end this match was watched by 10,334 (of which about 3,000 were crammed onto the lousy sight-lines of the open Cuckoo Lane End).

After the Spurs matches, I should have known this'd be a depressing anticlimax - Gary Briggs scored for Oxford within the first two minutes with a deflection off his arse, and it was downhill from there. Pompey youngster Lee Sandford played a stinker, seemingly at fault for all three goals, before he was finally replaced by old-timer Gary Stanley, trudging off to an uncharitable but admittedly deserved chorus of boos. Ironically, it was Gary Stanley who gave us the only high-light of the evening, scoring a spectacular blaster from 30yds in the 90th minute to go with the two he'd got at Villa Park in the FA Cup a week before.

As if to rub salt in the wound, Oxford were drawn against out-of-form Aston Villa in the semi-final, while Jim Smith's QPR performed marvels to beat hot favourites Liverpool in the other semi, before then churning out their most insipid performance of the season at Wembley gifting Oxford the Milk Cup. Pompey had already tangled with Villa twice in the FA Cup that month, and I still reckon we'd have given them what-for in another meeting. Too many 'what-ifs'...

Saturday 22nd January 1994~
Division One
Portsmouth 0-2 Peterborough United

...watched by a crowd of 19,534 who'd turned up for their vouchers for the upcoming Manchester United replay. Peterborough were bottom-of-the-table, but still made mincemeat of us, with two goals from Tony Adcock...

Sunday 22nd January 2012~
FA Sunday Cup 4th Round
Elm Farm 3-1 Barnes Albion

...a particularly bad-tempered contest, with Barnes Albion failing to keep up their usually good record in this tournament - the following season Barnes would go on to lose a very tight final to those regular over-performers Oyster Martyrs FC. This was played at the home of Aylesbury Vale FC...

1611618840432.png

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful
Saturday 22nd January 1972
FA Trophy 1st Round Kick off 1500
Hereford Utd 3 Banbury Utd 1 at Edgar Street Programme 5p
In the 1970/71 season Banbury had taken Hereford to a replay in the 3rd round of the trophy, The following season Banbury were exempt to the 1st Round and drew Hereford away. Only memories I have of the day are Kenny Bell being sent off for Banbury and when the supporters bus stopped on the way to Hereford I slipped over in a very muddy field.
Hereford reached the 3rd of the Trophy then lost at home to Dartford
I was on that bus and remember it well!

PS Banbury were exempted to 3Q; they beat Bridport at home.

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
Saturday 22nd January 1983~
Division Three
Portsmouth 1-0 Oxford United

Wednesday 22nd January 1986~
League Cup Quarter-Final
Oxford United 3-1 Portsmouth
I was also at both these games, although the only thing I can remember about either is that the only goal of the 1983 game was scored in the second half at the east end, where I was watching from with the other Oxford fans. It was unusual for me to go to an Oxford United away game, and even more unusual of me to watch from behind the goal. I recall a friendly copper asking me (as I approached the visiting fans turnstiles) if I was an Oxford fan, to which I replied in the affirmative. This match was just a few miles down the coast from Worthing, where I had been just a couple of Saturdays before, as already reported on Retro WDYG.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock