Walter Raleigh (born 1552)
Lord Byron (1788)
Dixie Dean (1907)
and the Apple Computer (1984)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Starter
Football

1977 Romford - 0 Trowbridge Town - 3 Southern League Division One South

1994 South Walsham Sports - 0 Poringland Wanderers - 2 Anglian Combination Junior Knock Out Cup Quarter Final

Running

1997 East Anglian Cross Country League - Culford Park 31-29 11th

2011 Norwich parkrun (21) 21-37 40th followed by Cambridge college League - Coldham's Common 44-18 30th (ran as a guest)

barnetbee

Youth Team Regular
1991 - Cheshunt 1 Barkingside 0 (Greene King Spartan league premier Division)
1994 - Swindon Town 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1 (FA Carling premiership)
2000 - Barnet 5 Lincoln City 3 (Nationwide league Division 3)
2005 - Barnet 1 Exeter City 0 (Nationwide conference)
2008 - Barnet 1 Swindon Town 1 AET (FA Cup 3rd round replay) Barnet won 2-0 on pens)
2018 - Haringey Borough 1 Potters Bar Town 2 (Bostik league North Division)

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
Three standouts:

Millwall 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 (Championship, 3pm, 13,145)

With stone-faced mounted Plod everywhere, this felt like stepping back to the Seventies and Eighties. Outside the (new) Den, in my sunniest tone, I asked a copper: “Is it like this here every week?” He gave me a look I hadn’t seen, well, since the 1980s. His unspoken reply: “You’re football scum, son; do one sharpish before I bash you on the head with this stick.”

A bear pit atmosphere made this feel like proper football; the sort that thrilled me as a youngster. Great view, of a cracking contest, from my seat in the east stand’s upper tier.

Millwall were undone by a stunning late winner from Wolves’s South Korean World Cup star Ki-Hyeon Seol. He capitalised on a mistake by ex-Wanderer Kevin Muscat. Lions skipper passed straight to Seol (89) who, from 25 yards, crashed a low shot wide of Graham Stack. The visitors were grateful for several impressive saves by Michael Oakes. He denied Jody Morris (47) and Alan Dunne (67, 90). Millwall were unfortunate to lose.

Seyi Olofinjana (37) put Glenn Hoddle’s Wolves ahead. Slick passing in midfield led to Kenny Miller finding Olofinjana in space on the right side of the penalty area and the Nigerian drilled a low shot past an exposed Stack. Millwall equalised with a fortuitous penalty. Contact between Barry Hayles and Wolves’s Jolean Lescott appeared minimal but Dennis Wise (77), introduced to good effect as a substitute, sent Oakes the wrong way from the spot with a well-struck, rising effort. Lescott, booked only four minutes earlier for dissent, was lucky to escape a second yellow card.

Hayles (80) was fractionally wide with an overhead kick before Wolves’s unmarked defender Jody Craddock (88) headed too high from eight yards. Muscat (13) almost scored with a free-kick from halfway. As Oakes scurried back, it landed on the roof of the net. Matt Lawrence hooked off the line a Seol (26) lob over Stack. Wolves’s ex-England midfielder Paul Ince was booed throughout by Millwall fans seething about his West Ham United connections.

Great fun! Come the season’s end, Wolves had faded to ninth, a place above Millwall. Sunderland went up as champions, seven points clear of Wigan Athletic. West Ham were promoted, via the play-offs, from sixth place. Bet that pleased the Lions faithful! Gillingham, Nottingham Forest and Rotherham United were relegated.

Heading back into London Bridge, on the train from South Bermondsey station (rammed with Plod), I noticed the woman next to me was clutching a copy of the match programme. Finding a tone at least as sunny as the one I’d used to the Old Bill earlier, I remarked: “A travesty, that result, wasn’t it?” She didn’t move a muscle, didn’t blink; simply continued staring ahead. Not just London, though, now. These days, I’d likely have got a similar response travelling, say, into Leeds from Bradford.

After the jellied eels, a sing song (a great footy anthem, ‘with gusto’):

Two tribes posturing at The Den (try it from circa 2min 30sec):

Bacup Borough 6 Chadderton 0 (NWCL, Division Two, 7.45pm, 100)

Cowtoot Lane - ramshackle stands, drystone walls and upland Pennine scenery - is a favourite ground. This was the first of several visits. I wouldn’t rule out another!

Great evening for Bacup, who went top of the table. One of the Borough guys scored a hat-trick. Poor Chaddy lost their goalkeeper to injury and had a player sent off in the 66th minute. It wasn’t their night.

Halifax Town 1 Port Vale 1 (Division Four, 7.30pm, 2,965)

An early experiment at The Shay with Friday night football. The crowd was well up on the previous home fixture, when just 1,396 watched a 2-1 defeat by Scunthorpe United. The novelty wore off quickly. If anything, Friday night attendances were even worse than those on Saturday afternoons. And there was the additional cost of using the floodlights!

Vale, extending an unbeaten run to 12 games, went ahead through Neville Chamberlain (39) but the oft-criticised Steve Ward (62) scrambled an equaliser. I suspect Ward was a player’s player; he did a lot of useful stuff unappreciated by spectators. Former Man U striker Jimmy Greenhoff was up front for Vale, who were to finish seventh. Halifax trailed in 19th, three points clear of the re-election zone.

Good old Tommy Degnan (some Halifax Town legends amongst the action pics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoI5EmArCE0

Other sports:

In 2011, I was watching rugby union in a rugby league city, as Hullensians met Huddersfield YMCA in Yorkshire Two. Not much of a ground at Springhead Lane, in the Anlaby district of Ull, but there was a programme, an eight-pager, and the game proved open and entertaining, with some attractive handling movements for a hundred or so spectators to enjoy. The match turned on the sin-binning, shortly before the hour, of a home player. In his absence, YM, the divisional leaders, transformed a 0-8 deficit into a 14-8 advantage, going on to win 19-11.

Attachments

• Millwall_LR_22-01-05.jpg
    Millwall_LR_22-01-05.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Millwall Ticket_22-01-05.jpg
    Millwall Ticket_22-01-05.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1975 - Leicester University IV v Trent Polytechnic III played in goal in a 1-1 draw at West Bridgford (possibly now Gresham PF) a much different score will be reported in a fortnight when we sent the 3rd XI over.
1977 - Tokyngton Res v Metropolitan Railway (West End AFA 1) - referee.
1978 - Hereford v Parkgate Corner (Ron Halfacre Cup Round 3) - referee.
1983 - Dagenham Res v Cockfosters (London Intermediate Cup Round 1 replay) - referee, as reported 7 days ago the first game had been abandoned in extra time due to near darkness.
1984 - Chelsea Spartans v Telstar (West Fulham Sunday 3) - referee.
1986 - Civil Service v Royal Navy FA - linesman.
1991 - Aldershot Res v Slough (Capital) - linesman.
2000 - Allendale Res v Flight Refuelling Res (Dorset 2) - observer.
2005 - Devon FA v Jersey FA U18 (SW Counties Mike Parry Cup Semi Final) - linesman, a trip to Washbrook Meadows, Ottery St Mary.
2006 - Poole Labour Club v Forest Link (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee.
2008 - Bournemouth v Lymington Town (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 42.
2011 - Bournemouth Sports v Trinidad (Bournemouth Premier) - referee, about half of my cricket club colleagues were playing for the visitors.
2012 - Kavell v Harry's Bar (Bournemouth Sunday 1) - referee, the visitors being from Purbeck Leisure centre, home of Wareham Rangers.
2019 - Bournemouth v Bashley (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 57. I thought I'd left Dorset two months previously but work decided I need to go back to train the people that were taking over the work that was being moved when the Bournemouth office closed. Sensitive planning, using the people that were losing their jobs to train their replacements (not the first time I've seen it done!).

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1991, Tuesday

Two games to choose from that night – either Alloa v Stennie or Shire v Dumbarton. I opted for Shire.

Scottish League Diviison Two
East Stirlingshire v Dumbarton, 2-1, H.T. 2-0, Att 214
At Firs Park

Shire were bottom of Division Two and Dumbarton were third-bottom so there was very little at stake other than pride min this encounter. Still, a visit to Firs Park was always a pleasure and this game provided good entertainment on a chilly January evening.

Shire: George Watson, Gordon Russell, J Clark, David Walker, Kenny Brannigan, Paul McDowell, Martin McBride, Danny Diver, Derek Walker, Billy Byrne, Charlie Lytwyn. Subs Paul McLaren, P Watson
Sons: Hugh Stevenson, Jim Marsland, Paul McKenzie, John Boyd, Jim Meechan, Martin Melvin, Stevie Gow, Trialist (Graham Shearer), Steve Morrison, Stuart MacIver, David Edgar. Subs Jim Dempsey and John McQuade.

There were actually some quite decent players in the Shire line-up. Geordie Watson was a fine goalkeeper and Gordon Russell went on to play 400 plus games for the Firs Park side. Kenny Brannigan was a powerful defender who had gone from Queen’s Park to Sheffield Wednesday as a youngster and came back to a long and successful career booting forwards up and down the parks of Scotland. Brannigan had the distinction of being sacked by two clubs in successive seasons - by Killie in 1989 for an on-field fracas against QOS, and by Falkirk the following year for the legendary Saltcoats Night Club incident. Danny Diver was an old-fashioned targetman striker who had a spell in Belgian football. Des Walker, ex Kilmarnock was a silky midfield player and Charlie Lytwyn a dangerous, strong and brave striker.

Shire didn’t have much of a support at that time. Their loyal hard core was down to a few dozen with youngsters in the town all gravitating towards a resurgent Falkirk. Dumbarton were also in the doldrums and their travelling support would have struggled to reach double figures.

Shire grabbed only their fifth win of the season. They went ahead after 10 minutes when Dumbartons's Stevie Gow deflected a Kenny Brannigan shot past his own keeper. Eighteen minutes later they stretched their lead when Charlie Lytwyn converted a penalty after he had been impeded as he bore down on goal. Dumbarton’s Steve Morrison grabbed a 65th minute goal but they could not conjure up an equaliser.

The programme was from the postpone date of January 2nd. One of the advantages of all postponed games being played in the first available midweek was that programmes did not go out of date. One disadvantage was the temptation to keep the pies for the re-arranged date as well.

Dumbarton’s season improved as it went on and they climbed to 7th place. Shire managed to get themselves off the bottom of the table with Arbroath destined to finish at the foot.

Pic is Kenny Brannigan, who is featured in the superb article below:

Scottish journeyman Kenny Brannigan has gone from Bridgeton to Beijing - BBC Sport

Shire v Dton prog 1991.jpgKenny Brannigan.jpg

Jan 22 1991.jpg

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Div 1.
Man City 5 Leicester City 0.
Att. 37,409.

FAC 3rd Round, 4th Replay. @ Filbert Street Leicester.
Sheff Wed 0 Arsenal 2.
Att. 30,276.

WMRL.
Rocester 1 Paget Rangers 3.
Att. 126.

Conference North.
Droylsden 1 Hinckley United 0.
Att. 273.

Conference North.
AFC Telford United 2 Hinckley United 2.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Northwich Victoria v Runcorn Lost 1-4

1994 FA Trophy First Round Gretna v Warrington Town Drew 1-1

1995 Stones Bitter Championship Division One Leeds v Warrington Lost 30-0

1997 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Mold Alexandra v Rhos Aelwyd 2-0

2000 Nationwide Conference Scarborough v Northwich Victoria Lost 3-0
My only visit to Scarborough’s old ground.

2003 Cheshire County FA Umbro Senior Cup Semi Final Stockport County v Northwich Victoria Won 1-2

2005 Icis Midland Combination Premier Division Coleshill Town v Bloxwich Town 1-3

I think this was a share with Andy D. OK ground and they issued. I do remember birds of prey tethered to perches just by the ground. A falconry thing.

2008 Liverpool FA Senior Cup Third Round Warrington Town v Prescot Cables Lost 1-2 (aet 90 mins 1-1)

2011 West Yorkshire League Cup Second Round Rothwell Town v Carlton Athletic (T242) 0-4

Definitely a shared trip. Basic ground on a cold and damp day. I had an old programme. I don’t think the ground is used now, if indeed it is still there. Fifth Avenue rings a bell, or something similar and in or near at least to Rothwell?

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
1977 NPL 1500 Lancaster C. 4 Matlock T. 3 619
The Gladiators were the team of the moment in the NPL, lying in second place and hitting the national headlines with their great run to the third round of the FA Cup. But the third-placed home team were brilliant for 75 mins of this game, scoring two in the first half (Cox and Buchan, brother of Martin) and two afterwards (Brindle and a Brownwood penalty) to put the game out of sight. Or so we thought, as the visitors showed why they were so highly rated with a great comeback, but goals
from Wilson, Scott, and M.Fenoughty proved not to be enough - just.

2000 SLP 1500 Havant/Wat 2 Halesowen T. 1 300
Average mid-table clash. With the wind, the hosts were the dominant team in the first half, going two goals up through Wakefield and Wyatt, but they conceded a silly one to Payne just before the break. The visitors were naturally on top in the second half but the Hawks held on.

2011 SL1SW 1500 AFC Totton 2 Sholing 1 382
Big game - third v top. The visitors were the better team in the first period, and deservedly led just before the break through Watts. 'Long ball Totton' upped their game in the second half and turned the game around with goals by Whisken and Richardson, aided by a red card for the visitors' Bowers. As expected, this was a competitive game, and there were reports after the match of a fight in the car-park between two opposing players 40 mins after the final whistle, one of whom had his nose broken. This was only Sholing's second defeat of the season, and today's result was a crucial one, even at this early stage, as at the end of the season Totton finished top, two
points ahead of Sholing, who lost in the playoff final.
A few details and photos here:
Hopping Around Hampshire: 2. AFC Totton

2020 HSC(QF) 1945 Sholing 0 AFC Bournemouth 4 140
The visitors fielded an U21 side (plus Jordan Ibe) but were clearly the better side, with their slick passing. The hosts were surprisingly uncompetitive. A very early goal by Anthony and one midway through the first half by Dobre put them in control, and on the hour a penalty by Ibe made it all clear. The home side were unhappy about the decision. Anthony scored another one straight after and decided that was enough. AFCB's semi-final at Moneyfields has not yet been played :-(

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
2000 - Bolton Wanderers 1 Ipswich Town 1 - Championship
2011 - Ipswich Town 3 Doncaster Rovers 2 - Championship
2019 - Dorking Wanderers 1 Enfield Town 0 - Isthmian League, Premier Division - first visit to Meadowbank
2020 - Tottenham Hotspur 2 Norwich City 1 - Premier League - Thanks to this site, managed to easily get a ticket for the new stadium- impressive- unfortunately the home fans were not happy as football was poor, so no real atmosphere- good news for me is that Norwich lost, but have to be honest and say they were quite unlucky.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1971 Wimbledon 1 Yeovil 5 crowd 1,967
FA Trophy 1st Round Proper, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

The previous year we had lost in the same competition to Yeovil in front of 3,000 after a replay but a new manager had not brought success and the crowd was less than 2,000 and we slumped to another defeat which proved the low point of the season. Star winger Eddie Bailham, who had a full cap for Eire, was made the scapegoat for this defeat and never played for the club again, moving back to his old club Cambridge City. Two goals by Myers(15 and 43)and one from Thompson(35)gave Yeovil a 3-0 half time lead, Cotton made it 4-0 just after the break and although Chris Hurley pulled one back the rout was completed by another goal from Cotton five minutes from time.4A43E38F-9322-4F3A-A9BB-2C4D93965548.jpeg

2003 Frenford Senior 0 AFC Wimbledon 3 Crowd 540
Capital Counties Feeder Leagues Trophy

In our first season as AFC Wimbledon we weren’t allowed to enter the Vase or the FA Cup so we entered this competition for those clubs in the south who for various reasons couldn’t go in the Vase either. We had beaten Ditton 5-1 earlier in the round before and this followed the same pattern with two goals from Andrew Petty on 27 and 37 minutes and another from Danny Oakins after 41 giving us a 3-0 lead with no further goals after half time under the weird orange floodlights at the Cricklefield Stadium in Ilford. In the next round we were unable to agree a date with Waltham Abbey and gave them a walkover, they printed a box of programmes and whoever has the box releases a couple occasionally for 20 quid or so as he knows there are a number of Wimbledon programme collectors, could only happen in non league football.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Starter
Football

1977 Romford - 0 Trowbridge Town - 3 Southern League Division One South

1994 South Walsham Sports - 0 Poringland Wanderers - 2 Anglian Combination Junior Knock Out Cup Quarter Final

Running

1997 East Anglian Cross Country League - Culford Park 31-29 11th

2011 Norwich parkrun (21) 21-37 40th followed by Cambridge college League - Coldham's Common 44-18 30th (ran as a guest)
Nearly missed it out

Rugby League

2008 London Skolars - 0 Harlequins RL - 56 (600) City Challenge @ Artillery Gardens

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Leo started this date Retro off by wishing happy birthday to Lord Byron (1788)'
Recently ( Retro 15th) mentioned when I went a town named after him Vyronas.

Wednesday @ 19-30.
England League Cup Semi Final ( 2nd leg ).
Aston Villa 3 v 2 Chester.

@ Villa Park.
--------Both Semi Final programmes----------------Holte End in 1975 Capacity 26,000 +------
3079426707cf6a2d7a14c6cdd64c51da.jpg----holte_end_751.jpg

Aston Villa - Jim Cumbes , John Robson , Charlie Aitken , Ian Ross , Chris Nicholl , Bobby McDonald , Ray Graydon , Brian Little (1) , Keith Leonard (2) , Ian Hamilton , Frank Carrodus.
Manager - Ron Saunders.

!B2ZS,3wBmk~$(KGrHqV,!hEE)8CN2)D+BMiTiC6lf!~~_35.jpg-v-untitled.png

Chester - Grenville Millington , Nigel Edwards , Tony Loska , Trevor Storton , Reg Matthewson , Stuart Mason (1) , Norman Whitehead , Dave Lennard , Gary Moore , John James (1) , Terry Owen.
Manager - Ken Roberts.

Referee - E Styles ( Barnsley).

Well after a great first leg where 4th tier Chester managed a 2-2 draw against 2nd tier Villa , that set up this second leg.
A good attendance and there was a brilliant atmosphere for this second leg

Two first half goals by Villas Keith Leonard seemed to have set up an easy win , Chester thought opposite and a goal by Mason just before half time had me wondering whether Chester could pull off an upset.

'Jessie' James put Chester level early in second half and then it became a tense affair . Brian Little won it for Villa 10 mins from the end , even then Chester had a chance to equalize when Whitbread missed a sitter.

-----------------'Jessie' equalizes--------------------------------Littles winner--------------------
--JS55645213.jpg--JS55645216.jpg

So a tier 2 team are in the Final and would meet another tier 2 team there in Norwich.
Villa won that 1-0 on the first of March with a goal from Ray Graydon.
This was the first Cup Final to be played between clubs from outside the top tier. Both were promoted that season as were Chester from Tier 4.

Took Villa a replay to beat the Alex in Round 3 :mad:.
17 x games , 0 x 0-0
images477H8NIO.png
6 x foreign.

I've not included any Yoof games I went with anybody else ( Span ) :unsure: or any Regional FInals at a temp beach when on holidays in W S Mare.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).
1965 Liverpool 1 v 2 Chelsea.
2019 Melbourne City 4 v 3 W Sydney Wanderers.

-1927-Arsenal v Sheff Utd on Radio---------------2018-George Weah President----------------
--1927radiotimes-924x1024.jpg-=George%20Weah%20inaugurated%20as%20President%20of%20Liberia.jpg

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
15 games today, but plenty of worth to mention. There are ten new grounds on the list, and three of the other matches were the second half of single stadium double headers (or in one case, single field)

That leaves just two revisits.
1977 - Hillingdon Borough 2-3 Gravesend & Northfleet. Southern League and
2005 - Bristol Rovers 1-1 Cheltenham Town (6954).League (£11+£2.50)

That said, I can't remember anything much about the earliest two new grounds
1983 - Heybridge Swifts 0-1 Great Yarmouth Town (670) FA Vase, Fourth Round (50p+?)
1984 - Cadbury Heath 1-3 AFC Totton (70). Sutton Transformer Vase (50p, prog included)

1989 - I posted about going to Orange on the Saturday, and I recall good weather. I had identified a Serie C2 game for the Sunday, and while the southern autorute in France was clear enough, there was bad weather as I entered Italy and climbed into the Alps. I recall Allesandria and the drive towards the town from the south as somewhat grim, industrial and under grey skies. The match itself was something similar. Allesandria 1-0 Cecina (3000), Serie C2/Group A (13,000 Lire, Programmes Free). The crowd was good for this level, fourth level in Italy. There were two different match programmes - neither were likely to be official publications, but published by local papers or fan groups that would distribute them and make money on the advertising.
1990 - Rayong U-21 4-0 Nakon Nayok U-21 followed by Rayong 0-0 Trat (7-6 pens). Regional Finals. (Free+none). On the first trip to Thailand, we were settled in a beach hotel with not a lot nearby. There was a playing field on the road leading down to the hotel, and in the week before, a marquee had been erected. I managed to discover that this was for a regional football tournament and that the finals were on the Monday, and better still I managed to secure a half day without work and a drop off at the grounds. I cannot place the ground exactly now, google Earth only goes back to 2003 and by that time, the provincial stadium (used by Rayong FC) had been built. My best guess is the old pitch was a little further south than the stadium, and either now under the sports hall, or further south again.

1994 - Real Sociedad 2-1 Barcelona (27,500) La Liga (5500 Ptas+150 Ptas). The first of a two match weekend in Spain, no winter sun this far north and pretty cold on the Sunday in Logrones. We were paying on the night and I recall crowds around the ticket booths when we tried to get in. We could not buy the programme at the ground, but in fact sourced it the next morning at a local newsagent. At the end of the game, I wandered into the official parts of the stadium, hoping to be able to pick up a team list. I managed this in a room where the press conference was taking place with both John Toshack and Johan Cruyff at the top table. I could not get up the nerve to ask a question, but had I done so, it would have been to ask Toshack if he was interested in the Welsh managerial role recently opened up. Not long after, he took the job while not relinquishing the post with Real.

2000 - Ripley Town 1-3 Radford (12). Central Midlands League (£1+£1)

2006 - Tunisia 4-1 Zambia (16,000) followed by South Africa 0-2 Guinea at the Harras El-Hedoud, aka Border Guard Stadium in Alexandria. There may be a little suspicion that Francileudo Silva dos Santos, who sored a hat-trick for Tunisia in the first game was not really Tunisian. Santos played for two seasons with Etoile de Sahel but was in France at Sochaux when he bacame a Tunisian citizen and qualified for the national team.
P1000385 m.JPG

2008 - Egypt 4-2 Cameroon (42,000) followed by Sudan 0-3 Zambia (35,000), at Baba Yari Stadium in Kumasi. I think we journeyed into Kumasi by bus, and we certainly left on the overnight service. A much better day for Zambia, with all of their goalscorers being scored by Zambians. The penalty goalscorer below is Hosny for Egypt after 11 minutes of the first game, two goals from Zidan gave them a good lead at the break, and two goals from Samuel Eto'o including a last minute penalty was not going to change that. Hosny also scored the Egyptian's final goal
P1220230 m.JPG
P1220232 m.JPG

2011 - Penmaenmawr Phoenix 0-4 Bodedern Athletic (26) Welsh Alliance, Division Two. (Free+none) This was a brilliant day, as far as a damp January in North Wales can be. A morning walk outside Beaumaris castle, as I had stayed overnight in Beaumaris, then a walk in the hills above Penmaeanmawr before seeing Phoenix losr 4-0 to Bodedern. Phoenix has mobile phone masks in three corners of the pitch. I advised them to got for the fourth and then they could hang floodlights from them
P1030524 m.JPG
P1030525 m.JPG
P1030530 m.JPG

2018 - Mohammedan U-18 0-4 Sports Authority of India (East Zone) U-18 (100) I League U-18 (Kolkata) (Free+none). Of the three German hoppers I spent the evening with, after the Kolkota derby the night before, only Boris is still in town. He work's on persuading me that I should go to some of the U-18 games the I-League puts on, as a way to adding to my match total. Mohammedan have a ground of the own on the Maidan, but this match is being played well to the south of the city at the Netaji Sports Complex, Rajpur-Sonarpur. Before we head out, we only have Rajpur-Sonarpur as an address and no certainty of knowing exactly where it is. The receptionist at my hotel shows us a possible location on the map, and we plug that into Uber for the trip. The location is not right but it is on the right road and we spot the ground with players warming up as we pass. We get a brilliant welcome to a ground that I would be unlikely to arrive at otherwise. I am very impressed by the bamboo floodlight pylons, although I am told they are only used for training, and not for matches. Note also the blackboard scoreboard.

P1010412 m.JPG

P1010405 m.JPG

P1010399 m.JPG

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
Three notably high scoring cup ties, of which I remember nothing other than the fact that the second and third games were as good as the scores would suggest.

1985 FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
Arsenal v Hereford United 7-2
Attendance 26,023
Scorers: Viv Anderson, Paul Mariner (2), Charlie Nicholas, Brian Talbot (2), Tony Woodcock; Kearns, Pejic
After a one all draw in the first game, third division Hereford were four down before they scored their first goal. Their second came after a further three Arsenal goals. A pretty impressive set of goal scorers for the gunners that night. Oh for the days when clubs put out the full first team whoever they were playing.

1994 FA Trophy 1st Round
St Albans City v Merthyr Tydfil 4-5

2000 FA Vase 4th Round
London Colney v Eccleshill United 3-4

Last edited:

IAN S

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1977 Blades 0 Luton 3 L2 Att 16,257
1991 Blades 0 Man. City 2 Zenith Data Cup Q/F
1994 Piggies 3 Blades 1 PL
2000 Blades 1 Man. City 0 L1
2005 Telford United 2 Stocksbridge PS 1 Chairmans Cup Q/F AET (1-1) Att 904
2011 Blades 1 Norwich 2 Championship HT 0-0
2020 Newark Town 1 Kimberley MW 3 Notts Senior Cup 4th round HT 1-2 Aban. 60th minute, fog Att 68, not been back yet

Rugby League
1989 Eagles 23 Swinton 6 HT 6-4 Att 1,034

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 22nd January 1972
FA Trophy 1st Round Kick off 1500
Hereford Utd 3 Banbury Utd 1 at Edgar Street Programme 5p
In the 1970/71 season Banbury had taken Hereford to a replay in the 3rd round
of the trophy, The following season Banbury were exempt to the 1st Round and drew
Hereford away. Only memories I have of the day are Kenny Bell being sent off
for Banbury and when the supporters bus stopped on the way to Hereford I
slipped over in a very muddy field.
Hereford reached the 3rd of the Trophy then lost at home to Dartford

Saturday 22nd January 1994
FA Vase 4th Round Replay Kick off 1330
Dunkirk 1 Whickham 0 at Lenton Lane Nottingham
Half time 0-0 Attendance around 375 Programme issued
The two teams had drawn 0-0 at Whickham the previous Saturday. This was one
of the less memorable Vase games attended. Very little of note happened in the
first half. After the interval Dunkirk looked slightly the better side and missed
some half chances before taking the lead with a low effort into the corner after
67 minutes. This was the spark the game needed and Whickham then had their
best spell of the game having a goal bound effort cleared off the line.
Dunkirk weathered this though and then had chances to clinch the game but
had to be satisfied with the single goal win.
Dunkirk lost 0-2 at home to Tiverton in the next round.

Saturday 22nd January 2011
FA Vase 4th round Kick off 1500
Herne Bay v Whitley Bay at Winchs Field
Score 1-2 half time 0-0 Attendance 655 Admission £6 Programme £2
This was a tremendous cup tie and probably the best game I attended
during the 2010/2011 season, the teams tried to play attacking football
on a soft wet pitch. Both sides had chances in the first half Herne Bay's
Stuart King coming closest when he fired just wide of the post.
Whitley Bay looked sharp at the start of the second half and scored through
Robinson after 48 minutes. This stung Herne Bay into action and four minutes
later it was 1-1 when Bryant scored from close range after Whitley failed
to clear. Play then swung from end to end with both goalkeepers being
forced into fine saves, Herne Bay seemed to have the edge but crucially
missed two very good chances. Extra time looked certain but in the last
minute of added on time a break down the right saw the ball played across
to Chow who controlled the ball and fired low into the corner.
The was just time for Herne Bay to kick off before the final whistle went.

This Whitley Bay's 21st game without defeat in the FA Vase and they went on
to win the competition for the 3rd successive season by defeating Coalville
3-2 in the final.

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Sunday 22nd January 1989
Abergavenny Thursdays 1 Kidderminster Harriers 2
Welsh Cup. 4th Round

The Welsh Cup was always good for having games on a Sunday especially when English teams were involved.This match saw an Abergavenny team which was in halfway position in the Welsh League and would go onto be founder members of the League of Wales. Kidderminster were top of the GM Vauxhall Conference at the time and they treated this game very seriously with a full strength team.
Kiddy took the lead through Robert Shivlock on 23 minutes.They had to battle hard before a goal from Kim Casey on 85 minutes gave them some breathing space.Abergavenny pulled a goal back straight away from Kyle Holmes but couldn't get an equaliser. Excellent entertainment for the crowd of 1,250.
Abergavenny's Pen-y-pound stadium is a wonderful ground.A decent sized stand on one side and a large covered end as well.Its good to see them on the way back up after some disastrous times.
Kidderminster went all the way to the final of the Welsh Cup but got beaten 5-0 by Swansea City. They also missed out on the Conference title finishing 5th at the end of the season.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
England League Cup Semi Final ( 2nd leg ).
Aston Villa 3 v 2 Chester.

Also at this one. There were a fair few Blues & Albion fans in with the Chester support on the open Witton End terrace. Great occasion, just a pity about the result.
>>>>>>

Four years later I was at Filbert St, Leicester for:

Arsenal 2 Sheffield Wednesday 0
FA Cup 3rd Round 4th Replay
Att: 30,,275
ASW.JPG SWA.JPG

Pretty sure this is the only time I have attended a 4th Replay in any competition.

After an epic struggle, Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton and lying in the bottom half of Division 3, finally succumbed to a Terry Neil managed Arsenal team sitting fourth in Division 1.

I had also gone to the first game in the saga at Hillsborough on Sat 6th January which was one of only three FA Cup 3rd Round games completed that day (another was abandoned at half time). A good short article covering all 5 games can be read here if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1983 BROBS Barnet v Berkhamsted Town (London Spartan League Premier Div) @ Underhill Barnet FC
1984 Newport County 3 Walsall 1 Att 4,374 (Div 3)
1991 Hornchurch 0 Finchley 1 Att 75 (Loctite Trophy 2nd Round)
2006 Chelsea 1 Charlton Athletic 1 Att 41,355 (Premier League)
2007 Arsenal Res 0 Tottenham Hotspur Res 3 (Premier Reserve League South) @ Underhill Barnet FC
2008 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Arsenal 1 Att 35,979 (Carling Cup Semi - Final 2nd Leg)
2018 Haringey Borough 1 Potters Bar Town 2 Att 180 (Isthmian Div 1 North)
2020 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Norwich City 1 Att 58,182 (Premier League)

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock