January 14

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Happy New Year to anyone using the Julian calendar, (they are living 13 days in the past)

In 1953, Josip Broz Tito was inaugurated as President of Yugoslavia.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
1978 LD3 1500 Preston NE 5 Plymouth A. 2 6500
Excellent game - the lowly visitors had good spells early on, and either side of half time, but fifth-placed North End were irresistible at times coming forward. Foster got a goal for Argyle but Baxter, Coleman and Thomson had put the home team in charge by the break. Star men Bruce and Elwiss completed the scoring with a Johnson penalty giving the visitors a little reward for their efforts.

1989 LD3 1500 Brentford 2 Northampton T. 0 6043
Went to this one to get my mate a voucher for the upcoming Man City FA Cup tie. Mid-table clash, pretty average game and pretty easy win for the Bees. Lots of long ball and offsides but Cadette and Stanislaus saw the Bees two up at the break, with visiting keeper Gleasure preventing any more damage in the second period.

1995 ILD1 1500 Staines T. 1 Newbury T. 3 250
Scrappy first half hour but the fifth-placed hosts led at half time through Darlington. Despite injuries to two players during the match the mid-table visitors turned it round completely after the break, goals by Roper and two by McDonnell springing a surprise result. A team on the up, we thought, but they finished third-bottom at the end of the season and then folded.

2012 SLP 1500 AFC Totton 2 Brackley T. 2 654
2nd v 1st, and the hosts had three new signings. Charles gave them the lead after 14 seconds (the fastest goal I've ever seen) and they had the better of the first half hour against a big, strong side. Brackley should have had a player sent off but capitalised on this piece of luck and equalised through Walker. They took the lead through Sandy on the hour but the Stags came back and Osman made it all-square, although his team were under a lot of pressure in the last 15 mins. The Saints won the league and Totton lost on the playoff final.

2017 HIC4 1345 Paulsgrove 1 W & B Sports 2 45
The visitors, top of the IOW league, were favourites, but the Grove could beat anybody on their day and this was a tight game for the most part. W&B dominated the first half hour but the home team defended well and half time saw no goals. The hosts improved after the break but it was still tight and the visitors broke the deadlock after 73 mins with a goal by the outstanding Prezepolewski. But a goalkeeping error allowed Hird to equalise soon after. Three mins from time Yelland nipped in to give the visitors the win, although on a frantic last few mins there were chances for both sides and Hatton was sent off for the Grove in handbags at the end.
A very sad postscript to the game: ref Mick Foster didn't turn up for the game, and when the home team phoned to check up on him they were told that he had passed away during the night. We had a minute's silence before the game, and, fittingly, his replacement did a great job. W&B went on to win the final.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
A coincidence: both Sunderland FC grounds on the same date:

Sunderland 0 Norwich City 1 (Division One, 3pm, 14,983)

Not my first visit to Joker Park (as jaundiced Teessiders were apt to describe the ground) but one of several in the company of a then-colleague, Dave. He had a Sunderland season ticket, for a main stand seat. Made things a little awkward because we couldn’t watch the game together. We’d have a pint before. Pretty sure he was the guy who introduced me to Vaux’s Waggle Dance. I used to stand near the halfway line, on the Clock Stand paddock.

Must say, I always enjoyed visits to Roker, a proper football ground - with a cracking, 1929 Archibald Leitch main stand, complete with lattice work - in a community devoted to its football club; as the recent Sunderland ‘Til I Die docusoaps illustrated so graphically.

On this particular afternoon, my mate went home disappointed to South Shields, as Norwich chalked up a shock win. Not so, I suggest, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, who was scouting Black Cats ahead of a Roker FA Cup replay between the teams.

Screened live on TV, this Sunday fixture was Sunderland’s first at home in the league for a month. The hosts suffered a major blow in the second minute when £900,000 striker David Kelly, then the club’s joint record signing, had to go off after aggravating a longstanding ankle injury. Ten minutes later, an Andy Melville blunder gifted Gary Megson’s Norwich the only goal. Melville was dispossessed on the edge of the penalty area by Ashley Ward and the Norwich striker found the roof of Alec Chamberlain’s net with a fierce shot.

Sunderland had plenty of chances to equalise. The best fell to Phil Gray, who headed wide, and Craig Russell, who, towards the final whistle, was just off target with a left-foot shot. Norwich didn’t spend the entire game on the defensive. A Neil Adams effort was fractionally wide and Robert Fleck, through on goal, aimed straight at Chamberlain.

Black Cats manager Peter Reid, whose fairly unlovely image was splattered across the cover of the match programme (36 pages for £1.50), told the Northern Echo: “We played some good stuff but we didn’t hurt them enough in the final third of the pitch. They scored early on so we were chasing it and they defended with numbers in depth. We were just not good enough to break them down. But all credit to Norwich.”

I’ve never bothered much with fanzines (in common with social media, they give a voice to every crank) but I did buy a copy of Sunderland’s A Love Supreme, a glossy 48-pager (£1).

Sunderland: Alec Chamberlain, Dariusz Kubicki (Lee Howey, 81), Richard Ord, Andy Melville, Martin Scott, David Kelly (Martin Smith, 2), Paul Bracewell, Steve Agnew, Martin Gray, Phil Gray, Craig Russell. Sub: Gareth Hall (unused).

Norwich: Bryan Gunn, Carl Bradshaw, John Polston, Spencer Prior, Mark Bowen, Darren Eadie, Neil Adams, Jan Molby, Keith O’Neill (Rob Ullathorne, 56), Ashley Ward, Robert Fleck (Keith Scott, 76). Sub: Rob Newman (unused).

Sunderland 2 Bolton Wanderers 0 (FA Cup, Round Three, Replay, 8pm, 14,550)

With prices reduced (£20 for a west stand seat), this clash of Premiership strugglers was an inexpensive way to tick the Stadium of Light. Haven’t been tempted to return to yet another flat pack venue. Striking location, though, high above the Wear.

For a sparse crowd, on a windy Wearside evening, this was a surprisingly entertaining replay between ‘shadow’ teams. Each line-up featured eight changes. Argentine Nicolas Medina, a £3.5m midfielder, made his Black Cats debut but Sam Allardyce’s Bolton selection had more experience. The sides had drawn 1-1 at Bolton. It’s a shame that, by this period, even clubs like Sunderland and Bolton Wanderers were treating the FA Cup as a ‘nothing’ competition.

Sunderland dominated throughout as they recorded a first win in seven. Poor finishing and quality saves from Trotters keeper Kevin Poole extended the game into extra time.

Kevin Kyle, a key figure up front because Tore Andre Flo and Kevin Phillips had been rested by manager Howard Wilkinson, could have had a hat-trick in the opening 45 minutes. The young Scot placed a flashing header wide and shot straight at Poole, who blocked another Kyle header just before the break. Michael Gray was twice close from distance. The nearest Bolton went in the first half was when keeper Thomas Sorensen fumbled onto the crossbar a Youri Djorkaeff corner. Trotters substitute Paul Warhurst forced Sorensen into a diving save. Towards the end of normal time, debutant Sean Thornton hit a dipping volley that brought a superb block of out Poole. So, extra time. An unwelcome prospect, on such a bitter evening.

Two goals in two minutes, from Julio Arca (98) and substitute Michael Proctor (100), saw Black Cats into the fourth round. Kyle miscontrolled an Emerson Thome cross but the ball fell kindly for Arca, making his first start since October, who drove low past Poole. Proctor then turned Ivan Campo and beat Poole all ends up with a curling effort.

Howard Wilkinson, Sunderland’s manager, told PA Sport: “The performance was good. They [his players] passed and controlled, they played without fear and they created chances. I just couldn’t see it being one of those nights because of the amount of possession we started to get, as any signs of nervousness drained away.”

With 34,000 empty seats around me, the crowd was just 162 above the Stadium of Light’s lowest attendance. Still the case?

Since the 1996 Norwich game, Sunderland’s programme had grown to 48 pages and its cover price increased by a quid to £2.50.

A couple of years later, I discovered a then-colleague, a Beverley-based Sunderland nut, had also been at the Bolton replay.

Premiership rivals Blackburn Rovers were next up for Sunderland, who went through on penalties after 3-3 (at Ewood Park) and 2-2 draws. Black Cats bowed out in round five, losing 1-0 at home to eventual semi-finalists Watford, then a First Division club.

Come the end of the season, Sunderland finished bottom with just 19 points. Bolton escaped the drop by a place and two points. West Ham and West Brom were also relegated. Man U topped the table, five points ahead of Arsenal.

Sunderland: Thomas Sorensen, Darren Williams, Joachim Bjorklund (Stanislav Varga, 60), Emerson Thome, Michael Gray (Proctor, 67), Nicolas Medina (George McCartney, 91), Sean Thornton, Gavin McCann, Julio Arca, Marcus Stewart, Kevin Kyle. Sub: Jurgen Macho, John Oster (neither used).

Bolton: Kevin Poole, Bruno N’Gotty, Ivan Campo, Mike Whitlow, Bernard Mendy (Nicky Hunt, 80), Gareth Farrelly (Jonathan Walters, 62), Stig Tofting, Kevin Nolan, Jeff Smith, Youri Djorkaeff, Delroy Facey (Paul Warhurst, 46). Subs: Jussi Jaaskelainen, Akin Bulent (neither used).

Other sports:

Knowsley Road was one of the great rugby league grounds. Went there many times, including for a football match when St Helens Town were in residence. Sitting in the main stand that evening, I found myself behind a decidedly grumpy looking John Beck. He must’ve been scouting because, in time honoured fashion, he left well before the final whistle. In 1990, I watched a St Helens versus Castleford tie in the Challenge Cup’s preliminary round. Saints led 19-2 after 28 minutes and went on to win 39-12. 8,662 watching. The hosts' scrum-half, Sean Devine, was the official man of the match. Each team had a player sent off - for butting and retaliation respectively - in the 50th minute.

Rugby union in 2017. I saw Harrogate Pythons lose a dour arm wrestle 12-8 to Yorkshire Three rivals Northallerton. This was during Pythons’ brief stay at the Army Foundation College. Plenty of barracks and barbed wire. I counted 40 spectators around the touchline. Rare programme at this level: a free four-pager. Pythons have since moved in with Harrogate Railway Athletic FC. Cannot have done much for the Station View pitch!

Attachments

Last edited:

aiwa

Junior Team Regular
1989 Mansfield Town 0-1 Wigan Athletic (Div Three) Uneventful mid-table clash for my only match visit to Field Mill, but weather was nice:
Jan 14 Mansfield 1989.jpg

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Altrincham
I only contribute occasionally to this thread, but one I had saved up for this day is

1986 FA Cup 3rd Round Birmingham City v Altrincham 1-2 att 6636

I think that the 1980-81 Altrincham team was the best team of my lifetime (although the way things are going, that may be surpassed in a year or two), and I always fancied their chances if a team of that era were ever to play a team who were struggling at the bottom of the First Division. Unfortunately, FA Cup 3rd Round draws at that period were against the likes of Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, as well as Orient who were a decent 2nd Division, with two being taken to replays.

However, the slightly inferior team of 1985-86 got just the draw I would have liked ,against Birmingham City, who were struggling in Division One and had not won for sixteen games. After two postponements, I travelled up from Hove midweek, where I was then living, knowing if I left bang on full time, I could easily get to Bordesley station from where there was a train to London Euston and I could get home shortly after 0100.

The Altrincham team still contained Jeff Johnson and John Davison from my best-ever team (in fact, Davison had also played in the team which drew with Everton in 1974-75), while the goalkeepers were interesting,: Jeff Wealands had played for Brimingham City before being got rid by current manager Ron Saunders. In his place was a certain David Seaman.

As you can tell from the crowd, which included 1200 away supporters football was at its nadir in 1986. Ron Saunders' programme notes seemed to be all about his plans to save our society. Possibly, he thought that was an easier task than to turn around the fortunes of his club.

Not too much happened in the first half, but midway through the second, Robert Hopkins put Birmingham ahead with what seemed to be the standard script of putting out the gallant losers. However, Ronnie Ellis was soon to equalise, then with fifteen minutes to go, Hopkins scored again, but into his own goal, deflecting a cross past Seaman. I could see the ball go in the net, but was not too sure exactly what had happened at the far end at the time. The away supporters were happy though.

Despite my original plan, I celebrated after the match, before running to get, and catching, the train from Bordesley. Ron Saunders, who was churlish in defeat, lost his job and, Altrincham manager John King, in one of the most ridiculous questions ever asked by an interviewer, was asked by Barry Davies if he regretted the victory now it had cost Saunders his job,

Although BIrmingham City were not a good team, this was a great victory for a non-League team away to any top division team, which never got the coverage it deserved. I do hear that a certain other Birmingham club's supporters used to sing about this result.

Ostrich

Junior Team Sub
14/01/12 - West Midlands Regional League Premier - Black Country Rangers 3 Dudley Sports 2.
I haven't got any detailed records of this; I presume it was at Tividale's ground from the time when they were tenants there.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Four games between 1986 and 1992, and nothing since.

Freight Rover Trophy Group 2
Darlington 2-0 Chesterfield
Att: 1,057

Bad weather meant that Darlington's first home League match of 1986 wasn't played until 1st March. They did however manage to play this one Freight Rover Trophy tie. The group would eventually be completed on 13 March when a 1-1 draw at Burnley allowed the Quakers to progress
Both clubs had won promotion from Division Four the previous season. 1,057 turned up on a chilly evening to see two goals from Carl Airey put Darlo top of the group.

Barclays League Division Two
Sunderland 1-0 Oxford United
Att: 12,853

The sides met for the third time in a week, having drawn at Roker in the FA Cup the previous weekend, with the Us winning the replay on the Wednesday. I almost gave this one a miss in favour of the Darlington-Hartlepool derby match, but eventually headed 'home'.
The only goal of the game came from Gary Owers inside the opening five minutes. The win briefly put Sunderland 6th in the table and raised hopes of a second successive promotion, but three consecutive defeats in early February soon put an end to that, and promotion would have to wait for one more season.

Barclays League Division Two
Middlesbrough 3-0 Sunderland
Att: 17,968

Having drawn one and lost two of their previous three matches, Denis Smith left out Eric Gates in order to field a five man defence, and we were treated to the bizarre sight of Paul Hardyman wearing the number 9 shirt on this Sunday afternoon.
Boro took the lead on 16 minutes. A long throw was allowed to bounce inside the box, Slaven's header came back off the bar and Davenport bundled in the rebound, against the club he would join the following season.
Slaven added a second on 36 minutes. Agboola deflected a shot over Norman's head. The back-pedalling keeper scooped it away with his hand, but couldn't recover his position and Slaven fired into the unguarded net. The third goal came in the final minute when Hamilton spotted Norman off his line and fired into the roof of the net from 25 yards

FA Cup 3rd Round replay
Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Aston Villa
Att: 25,462

After a goalless draw at Villa Park, it took Villa just 10 minutes to break the deadlock on a cold night in North London. Richardson's corner looped over the head of Thorstvedt at the near post and Yorke stabbed in from about 6 inches.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Weekend break with I think Rattie and 'Speedway' John.
It was off of Stansted to Porto on FR8343 on the Friday at 06-35 and then book in a hotel on the coast for 4 nights and then a weekend of football with the Sunday being the highlight.
Thanks to Gil Vicente moving into a new ground in May 2004 it was a 3 tick Sunday , very unusual.

Sunday @11-00.
Prtugal tier 2 .
Gil Vicente 2 v 1 CD Santa Clara .

@ Municipal Stadium , Barcelos.
-estadio_cidade_de_barcelos11.jpg

Gil Vicente - Jorge Baptista , Diego Gaucho , Roversio de Barros , Joao Pedro , Joao Pereira , Filipe Fernandes , Bruno Tiago , Luis Coentrao , Mateus da Costa (2) , 'Carlitos' Carlos Cunha , 'Betinho' Alberto Coelho .
Subs -Carlos Fumo for Betinho , Pedro Ribeiro for Carlitos , Joao Vilela for Coentrao.
Manager - Paulo Alves.

Santa Clara - Joao Botelho , Danildo Accioly , Anselmo do Nascimento , Rafael Gomes , Paulo Vincinius (1), Nuno Sociedade , Bruno Novo , 'Maurinho' Mauro Veil , Fernando Livramento , Basilio Almeida , Manuel Mateus.
Subs - Livio Prielo for Accioly , Julio Cesar for Novo , Hugo Henrique for Almeida.
Manager - Paulo Sergio.

Referee -Bruno Paixao.

Gil Vicente found themselves in the second tier despite finishing in 12th of 18th position the previous season.
There were 4 down that season and Belenenses were 4th bottom.
Belenenses brought a case against Gil Vicente and their signing of 'Mateus' who they claimed was not entitled to sign a professional contract in Portugal. Belenenses were reprieved and Gil Vicente relegated.
'Caso Mateus' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateus_Galiano_da_Costa#Club_career
Gil did not like the decision and were appealing against the outcome , they appeared in the first game of the season and lost 2-1 at Leixoes , they then failed to show for the next 3 games which were awarded 0-3.
Their season restarted after a stern warning off the league and game 5 they lost to Rio Ave.
So 5 games / 5 losses.

Meanwhile reprieved Belenenses were having a good season and eventually finished in 5th position and earned a UEFA Cup place :unsure:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+

Sunday @ 15-00.
Portugal tier 2.
Vizela 1 v 1 Rio Ave.

@ Vizela Stadium , Caldas de Vizela.
-estadio_do_fc_de_vizela01.jpg

Vizela - Fernando Baptista , Rodrigo Ribeiro , Claudio Silva , Machado Vilela , Ricardo Jorge , 'Guerra' Moises Marques , Filipe Gouveia (1) , Helder Sousa , Pedro Caravana , Pedro Pereira , Serjao da Silva.
Subs - Julio Cesar for Guerro , Cleberson da Silva 'Binho' for Pereita , Luis Manuel for Gouveia.
Manager - Carlos Garcia.

Rio Ave - Mora Morales , Bruno Mendes , Danielson Trindade , Carlos Milhazes , Delson Ferreira , 'Niquinha' Edson de Barros (1) , Vitor Gomes , Evandro Escardalete , Ricardo Jorge , David Coste , Philip Chidi Onyemah.
Subs - Andre Vila Boas for Onyemah , Fabio Coentrao for Coste , Ladji Keito for Evandro.
Manager - Joao Eusebio.

Referee - Elmano Santos.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+

Sunday @ 19-45.
Portugal tier 1.
CD Aves 0 v 2 Porto .

@ CD Aves Stadium , Vila das Aves.
-estadio_do_cd_das_aves17.jpg

Aves - Rui Faria , Bruno Fernandes , Jose Anilton , Sergio Carvalho , Sergio Nunes , Leandro Pires , Mercio da Silva , Artur Futre , Hernani Borges , 'Nene' Adriano Miranda , Filipe Anunciacao.
Subs - William Modibo for Carvalho , Rui Figueiredo for Pires , Jocivaiter Liberato for Futre.
Manager - 'Neca; Manuel Gomes.

Porto - Helton Aruda , 'Pepe' Kepler Ferreira , Bosingwa da Silva , Jorge Fucile , Bruno Alves , Lucho Gonzalez (1), Raul Meireles , Paulo Assuncao , Ricardo Quaresma (1), Lisandro Lopez , Helder Postiga.
Subs - Ibson da Silva for Meireles , 'Vierinha' Adelino de Freitas for Lopez.
Manager - Jesualdo Ferreira.

Referee - Helio Santos.

Tier 1 Final placings (2006 / 07 . 16 teams )
It was the first season of 16 clubs , they relegated 4 the previous season with only 2 coming up.
1st ) -----------FC Porto------------- 30 22 3 5 65-20 69
16th )----------Desportivo Aves -----30 5 7 18 22-42 22

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Final tier 2 table 2006/07.
Leixões-------------------30 18 6 6 45-21 60
Vitória Guimaraes--------30 16 7 7 44-20 55
-------------------------------------------------------
Rio Ave-------------------30 15 8 7 44-37 53
Santa Clara ---------------30 15 5 10 34-31 50
Gondomar----------------30 13 6 11 33-30 45
Feirense ------------------30 11 11 8 38-26 44
Varzim--------------------30 12 8 10 34-37 44
SC Penafiel---------------30 10 11 9 23-27 41
Olhanense----------------30 10 10 10 29-31 40
Estoril---------------------30 10 7 13 30-35 37
Trofense -----------------30 9 9 12 27-26 36
Gil Vicente ---------------30 12 9 9 27-27 36 [-9]
Vizela---------------------30 9 7 14 29-32 34
Portimonense------------30 7 9 14 28-42 30
-------------------------------------------------------
Olivais e Moscavide------30 7 6 17 26-42 27
Desp. Chaves-------------30 3 7 20 16-43 16

NB: Gil Vicente 9 points deducted for failing to fulfill 3 games.
19 x games , 0 x 0-0's , 1 x double , 1 x treble.
images477H8NIO.png
11 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

2001 Panionios 2 v 0 Aris.
2012 Arouca 1 v 4 Estoril (11-15).
2012 Porto 2 v 0 Rio Ave (20-00).

-1953--Tito becomes President--------------2005-Huygens probe lands on Titan------------------
--untitled.png-300px-Huygens_probe_dsc03686.jpg

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool

Ron Saunders, who was churlish in defeat, lost his job and, Altrincham manager John King, in one of the most ridiculous questions ever asked by an interviewer, was asked by Barry Davies if he regretted the victory now it had cost Saunders his job,
Ha ha, being quite familiar with Kingy around that era I've had to hunt down that interview! Fair to say the chemistry between the two is a little awkward, and I dare say the interview may have required a few takes, but it's worth a look, if only to remember how pompous Davies could be. It's the final minute or so on this clip:

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1993 William Youngers Alliance Division One Warrington Wizards v Castleford 'A' Won 26-6
1994 William Youngers Alliance Division One Warrington Wizards v St. Helens 'A' Won 32-12
1995 Regal Trophy Semi Final Widnes v Warrington Won 4-30
1996 Stones Bitter Centenary Championship Halifax v Warrington Lost 26-20
1997 League of Wales Llansantffraid v Caersws 3-2
2003 FA Trophy Third Round in partnership with Carlsberg (@ Witton Albion FC)
Northwich Victoria v Barrow Won 3-1
2006 West Midlands (Regional) League Division Two Chaddesley Corbett v Dudley United 1-0
A shared trip with Andy D. Basic sports field that was roped off. They issued. They did not stay at this level for long but were still going in district football quite recently as far as I know.
2012 Athium Midland Combination Division Two Coventry Spartans v Leamington Hibernians (T286) 1-1
A shared trip. One of numerous Coventry sides seen over the years. I think this was on the ground close to Coventry Amateurs but on the opposite side of the road, but I am not 100% sure now. I think they issued.
2014 Peak Associates Cheshire Senior Cup First Round Tranmere Rovers v Warrington Town (@ Warrington T) Lost 3-1
2017 Marcliff Gloucestershire County League Little Stoke v Stonehouse Town 0-0
Another shared trip. Just a railed pitch in a sports field. They issued. Pre match pint somewhere.
2020 Cheshire Senior Cup Second Round Warrington Town v Sandbach United (@ Sandbach) Won 4-1
Can’t recall why this was switched now. Maybe pitch protection for Town? We were poor in the opening minutes and went a goal down but turned it round with some comfort in the end. Second trip to the ground. New shed type stands had been added behind one goal. They issued.

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1984 Welham Albion v Little Heath (Herts County League Div 2)
1989 Southall 0 Finchley 0 Att 41 (Isthmian Div 2 South)
1992 Barnet 3 Northampton Town 2 Att 1,422 (Autoglass Trophy 1st Round)
2007 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Newcastle United 3 Att 35,942 (Premier League)
2012 Tottenham Hotspur 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Att 36,194 (Premier League)
2014 Wingate & Finchley 2 Maidstone United 4 Att 197 (Isthmian Premier Div)
2015 Tottenham Hotspur 4 Burnley 2 Att 24,367 (FA Cup 3rd Round Replay)
2017 Tottenham Hotspur 4 West Bromwich Albion 0 Att 31,316 (Premier League)
2017 Brimsdown 1 Biggleswade 7 Att 35 (South Midlands League Div 1)
2020 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Middlesbrough 1 Att 49,202 (FA Cup 3rd Round Replay)

barnetbee

Youth Team Sub
1989 - Barnet 1 Gravesend & Northfleet 1 (FA Trophy 1st round)
1992 - Barnet 3 Northampton Town 2 (Autoglass Trophy 2nd round)
1995 - Colchester United 1 Barnet 1 (Endsleigh Insurance league Division 3)
2012 - Cockfosters 5 Sun Postal Sports 1 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)
2014 - Wingate & Finchley 2 Maidstone United 4 (Ryman league premier Division)
2017 - Barnet 1 Doncaster Rovers 3 (Sky bet league 2)
2020 - Tottenham Hotspur 2 Middlesborough 1 (FA Cup 3rd round replay)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Sub
Football

1990 Blue Boar - 5 BRS - 0 Crusader Sunday League Division Two @ Rackheath Playing Field (played for away side)

1995 West Bergholt - 0 Halstead Town Reserves - 0 Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division

Running

1978 Essex Cross Country League - Harlow 22-35 23rd

1984 Essex Cross Country League - Colchester 28-14 50th

2001 Bungay Black Dog New Year 10km 39-14 12th

2006 Norfolk Cross Country Champs - Earlham Park 36-14 50th

2007 Ryston Runners Cross Country Grand Prix (race four) 9km - Shouldham Warren 33-49 25th

2012 Norwich parkrun (72) 29-05 248th

2017 Catton parkrun (172) 25-29 124th

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1989, Saturday

Scottish Cup Round 2 Replay
Alloa Athletic v Forres Mechanics, 2-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 884
At Recreation Park, Alloa

Most Highland League clubs have had a purple patch of some description in my lifetime. Forres Mechanics came to the fore, after years in the doldrums, as a Highland football power in the mid 1980s. They won the Highland League title in 1985/6 and for a few seasons were amongst the top clubs in the North.

The Scottish Cup on 1988/9 was played in the format used from the 1960s until the mid 2000s. The four semi finalists from the North and South Qualifying Cups joined the Division Two sides in the First and Second Rounds. That year saw Spartans, Gala Fairydean, Annan Athletic and Coldstream qualify from the South, with Forres joined by Inverness Thistle, Caley and Elgin City as the North representatives.

Alloa needed a Replay to get through against Berwick in the First Round while Forres enjoyed a Bye. The first tie between the clubs took place at Mosset Park and ended in a 1-1 draw watched by 1010. The Replay was scheduled for the following Saturday at The Recs.

Wasps: Ronnie Lowrie, Bobby Robertson, Bob lee, Andy Millen, Keith McCulloch, John Gibson, Gus Smith, Alan Bateman, Charlie Lytwyn, Ian Lee, Spider Ramsay. Subs Robert West and Ronnie Findlay
Can Cans: Gray, Forsyth, Milne, D McCulloch, Walker, Mackay, Grant, Mulholland, Dunbar, G Davidson, Minty. Subs M Davidson, Winton
Ref: W Morrison (Carluke)

The pitch at the Recs was very soft. Forres had three coachloads of supporters with them – they had obviously arrived in town early and most were well inebriated before getting to the game. Their team lines included some real legends of Highland League football – Brian Minty and Boogle Winton being two of them.

Alloa looked determined to avoid any upset and attacked from the start. Forres were seldom seen as an attacking force in the first half. The home side took the lead in 27 minutes – Charlie Lytwyn curling a well placed shot beyond the reach of Bobby Gray in the Forres goal.

The longer it remained 1-0 the more nervy Alloa became. Forres sensed the chance of an equaliser but they could not get round a resolute Alloa defence. Gus Smith made the tie safe for the home side with a second goal late on.

Alloa subsequently saw off Albion Rovers and Queen of the South to reach the Quarter Finals, losing narrowly to Hibs at Easter Road.

Alloa Forres prog.jpg

Jan 14 1989.jpg

Dribble!

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Nothing special, but here goes:
2012 - Ipswich Town 2 Blackpool 2 - Championship
2015 - Ipswich Town 0 Southampton 1 - FA Cup
2017 - Ipswich Town 3 Blackburn 2 - Championship

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1.
Bristol City 0 Leicester City 0.
Att. 19,704.

FAC 3.
Birmingham City 1 Altrincham 2.
Att. 6,636.

UCL Premier.
Kirby Muxloe 2 Wellingborough Town 0.
Att. 22.

Ricardo

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1989 Wimbledon 1 QPR 0 crowd 7,118
First Division, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

Its easy to forget what a good side QPR were over a number of years as they seem to have slipped into anonymity recently and this tough, niggly local derby was a close fought win for us. Paul Parker always seemed to have John Fashanu in his pocket but in this game Alan Cork took his place which may have helped as without Fash we had to play more football and change our shape tactically. Defender John Scales scored the only goal after 32 minutes past David Seaman in goal but the game flared up after a bad tackle by Dennis Wise on Dean Coney which saw Brian Law sent off before half time for retaliation. In the second half Trevor Francis’ men were fired up but were unable to equalise as the extra man left them short, even Ossie Ardiles was booked in a bad tempered end to the match.

1992 Wimbledon 0 Bristol City 1 crowd 3,747
FA Cup 3rd Round replay, Selhurst Park, Croydon

We should have won the first game at Ashton Gate but a last minute own goal by Warren Barton gave the home side a replay, some say it was deliberate in an attempt to get rid of unpopular manager Peter Withe but as I recall it hit him square in the face and he couldn’t help diverting the ball home. As a result a small crowd in the gloom of a Croydon January gathered for the replay and within 10 minutes a shot from 25 yards from Andy May crept past Segers in goal after which we tried in vain to equalise but came up short and went out of the Cup with barely a whimper. With a few minutes left a home fan ran onto the pitch confronting Withe in the dugout and hurling his season ticket at his feet, quite why he had this at a cup match is open to speculation but it showed more passion than the team had throughout the game and signalled the beginning of the end for the manager.

1997 Crewe Alexandra 1 Wimbledon 1 crowd 5,011
FA Cup 3rd Round, Gresty Rd, Crewe

It was a shame this game was postponed from 10 days earlier as the away side would have had at least twice as many as the 500 or so who gathered at Crewe, both sides were aware that the winners faced a trip to Old Trafford. For many older Wimbledon fans Crewe is synonymous with a pitched battle with Port Vale fans in 1983 but off the pitch at least there were no problems and the tie got what it needed with Ashley Westwood scoring after 12 minutes and with the likes of Danny Murphy and Robbie Savage in midfield there was no lack of talent on show, we heaved a sigh of relief when defender Chris Perry hooked home a rare goal after 25 minutes past Jason Kearton in goal D7CDF127-F009-4BC1-B875-E91AB5266F3F.jpegand although both sides had chances to win thereafter a draw seemed a fair result. We won the replay 7 days later and managed to knock Man Utd out too, eventually going out to Chelsea in the semi final at Highbury.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I only contribute occasionally to this thread, but one I had saved up for this day is

I think that the 1980-81 Altrincham team was the best team of my lifetime (although the way things are going, that may be surpassed in a year or two), and I always fancied their chances if a team of that era were ever to play a team who were struggling at the bottom of the First Division. Unfortunately, FA Cup 3rd Round draws at that period were against the likes of Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, as well as Orient who were a decent 2nd Division, with two being taken to replays.

However, the slightly inferior team of 1985-86 got just the draw I would have liked ,against Birmingham City, who were struggling in Division One and had not won for sixteen games. After two postponements, I travelled up from Hove midweek, where I was then living, knowing if I left bang on full time, I could easily get to Bordesley station from where there was a train to London Euston and I could get home shortly after 0100.

The Altrincham team still contained Jeff Johnson and John Davison from my best-ever team (in fact, Davison had also played in the team which drew with Everton in 1974-75), while the goalkeepers were interesting,: Jeff Wealands had played for Brimingham City before being got rid by current manager Ron Saunders. In his place was a certain David Seaman.

As you can tell from the crowd, which included 1200 away supporters football was at its nadir in 1986. Ron Saunders' programme notes seemed to be all about his plans to save our society. Possibly, he thought that was an easier task than to turn around the fortunes of his club.

Not too much happened in the first half, but midway through the second, Robert Hopkins put Birmingham ahead with what seemed to be the standard script of putting out the gallant losers. However, Ronnie Ellis was soon to equalise, then with fifteen minutes to go, Hopkins scored again, but into his own goal, deflecting a cross past Seaman. I could see the ball go in the net, but was not too sure exactly what had happened at the far end at the time. The away supporters were happy though.

Despite my original plan, I celebrated after the match, before running to get, and catching, the train from Bordesley. Ron Saunders, who was churlish in defeat, lost his job and, Altrincham manager John King, in one of the most ridiculous questions ever asked by an interviewer, was asked by Barry Davies if he regretted the victory now it had cost Saunders his job,

Although BIrmingham City were not a good team, this was a great victory for a non-League team away to any top division team, which never got the coverage it deserved. I do hear that a certain other Birmingham club's supporters used to sing about this result.
Ha ha, being quite familiar with Kingy around that era I've had to hunt down that interview!
I have 13 matches, but only five new grounds for this date. The Birmingham City v Altrincham game was second on my list (and one of my revisits). Many Birmingham City fans I hve talked to hail the Altrincham team for causing Ron Saunders to resign. He must have become more popular with Villa fans when he joined West Bromwich a month which meant he had a hand in two Midlands teams relegated in the same season. I had already found the video clip that Paulh66 posted, so my additions for this game are costs - £3 to enter, £1 for the programme and my abiding memory which was that a large portion of the Birmingham fans remained after their team had left the pitch to applaud and cheer for Alty as they left the pitch

Other revisits for the date
1991 - Croydon 0-3 Dulwich Hamlet (159), Isthmian League Full Members Cup (£2+40p)
1992 - Kingstonian 2-3 Colchester United (?) FA Trophy, First Round Replay (£3+70p). Two penalties by Richard Cherry for Kingstonian gives the result a closeness it did not deserve. Anyone got the attendance figure?

2004 - Cheltenham Town (reserves) 2-3 Swindon Town (reserves) (80) Combination (st+A4 single sheet, free)
2006 - Cheltenham Town 2-3 Bristol Rovers (6005) League (season+comp). Cheltenham went 2-1 up with three minutes to play.
2012 - Cheltenham Town 2-0 Aldershot Town (3147) League (Season+£3)
2017 - Cheltenham Town 3-0 Accrington Stanley (2854) League (Season+comp).
All the Cheltenham first team games were Saturdays reducing the new ground options and leaving one more

2011 - Australia 1-1 South Korea (15,526) Asian Cup. The last game on the trip for myself, (and I think Paul and Kevin). We headed back to London either later that evening or early on Saturday. I would see Cheltenham the next day. It was the third time at Al Gharafa's Thanni bin Jassim Stadium. We had seen both this pair win on the opening day and it was clear they were some of the better teams on view. Both would go on to win the third group game, with Australia topping the group on goal difference. South Korea lost out in the semi-finals, beaten by Japan in a penalty shoot-out. They would win the 3/4 play off. Australia made it to the final before they too lost to Japan (by a single goal, in extra time)

P1030472 m.JPG
P1030488 m.JPG

Five first visits
1984 - Merthyr Tydfil 2-0 Enfield (789) FA Trophy, First Round (£1+20p). Chris Williams getting the goals at the start and finish of the second half, as the Welsh team got the better of an Enfield side that appeared to be surprised at how good their opponents were
1989 - Newton Flotman 3-4 Great Yarmouth Town (105). Norfolk Senior Cup (Free. There was a programme). A really good game with Mark Harrowing for the home side scoring a hat-trick. His first two in the 20th and 21st minutes, put his team 2-0 up. GYT got back into it and when Harrowing completed his hat-trick it made the score 3-2. In the end, the visitors had the legs and won the game with two goals in the last five minutes.
2001 - Sint Elioos Winkel Sport 1-0 SC Blankenberge (230). Division 4A (300 B.Fr+free). Sunday day trip with both teams having a player sent off early in the second half. For the home team, this was their keeper for hand ball. Belgium teams generally are allowed to name one more sub than can be played. They do not always give this place to a goalkeeper, but St. Elioos had done so. The goal was scored first half, while the game was 11 vs 11, while SEWS also missed a late penalty
2009 - Grange Harlequins 5-3 Garw SBGC (44) Welsh League, Division 2 (£3+£1). A Wednesday at the new stadium, just across the road from the Cardiff City car parks. An early goal put Garw Seniors, Boys and Girls Club ahead, (inclusivity in the name?). Harlequins took control from the middle of the half and were 4-2 up at the break.

2018 - My first game in India. My journey to Shillong from Dhaka was complicated, I had seen the games in Bangladesh on Thursday and was free during the early part of Friday. I had an evening flight to Kolkata and checked into a very poor quality hotel close to the airport for the night. The next flight was on Saturday morning and took me into India's North East at Guwahati. I transferred to the minibus service that would take me to Shillong, and then spent around 2 hours in the transfer. By the time I was in Shillong and into my hotel, it was late and I did not do much looking around. When I did try to see around the town on Sunday morning, the place was very quiet. This mainly christian area of India tends to shut down on Sunday, and there is very little commercial

Kick off is scheduled for 2. I am told by the hotel receptionist that India Standard Time applies and the match will not kick off until at least 30 minutes late. This turns out not to be true, the match kicks off on time, as indeed do all the matches I see in India. However, much of the crowd turns up late and there is a steady stream of arrivals in the first half hour

Shillong Lajong 0-1 Minevra Punjab (5800 official, in reality maybe half of this). I-League (Comp - highest price is around £4, no programme). Tactically, Shillong's one man up front formation was outdone by the 4-3-3 of the Punjab time. Chencho Gyeltshen, who had impressed my a few months earlier in Bhutan, was at the heart of the Minerva attacks.

At the time, the I-League was supposedly the top league in India, although the Indian Super League was getting all the promotion and the better TV slots. The IAFF where supposedly on the fence, but were looking only in the direction of sponsors money. I had timed my visit to India for two reasons, firstly the overlap of the two leagues, and secondly (as I will come to soon), the derby game in Kolkata.
P1010259 m.JPG
P1010265 m.JPG
P1010267 m.JPG

One of the banners on the far side just reads "Our Own", which is an English translation of Lajong in the team name. A longer one says "Thank you Shillong Lajong for keeping I/League alive in this Football Loving City". I was not convinced these banners were really the work of the football loving locals, as opposed to the club. The club dropped out of the league after finishing bottom in the season after my visit, and did not attempt to play to regain the place

Cleeve

Youth Team Starter
1989 - Barnet 1 Gravesend & Northfleet 1 (FA Trophy 1st round)
1992 - Barnet 3 Northampton Town 2 (Autoglass Trophy 2nd round)
1995 - Colchester United 1 Barnet 1 (Endsleigh Insurance league Division 3)
2012 - Cockfosters 5 Sun Postal Sports 1 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)
2014 - Wingate & Finchley 2 Maidstone United 4 (Ryman league premier Division)
2017 - Barnet 1 Doncaster Rovers 3 (Sky bet league 2)
2020 - Tottenham Hotspur 2 Middlesborough 1 (FA Cup 3rd round replay)
Almost a 50% overlap with previous poster FinchleyFlyer65. Do you know each other?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks