January 13

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I think entrance was based on performance from the past couple of seasons and had no bearing on league status.
Indeed , but from their FA Cup exploits where they reached R1 in 1988/89.

In the Trophy they had not done well for a couple of seasons , 87/88 lost in 2nd Q Rd and 88/89 lost in 1st Q Rd.

Warwickian

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 13th January 1996
Brigg Town 2 Bedlington Terriers 1
FA Vase.4th Round

A visit to The Hawthorns for this interesting looking FA Vase match. Brigg's ground is somewhat different to West Brom's ground with alot less cover but more than adequate for the support Brigg get.
This was a close game with Northern League Bedlington leading thanks to a goal on 54 minutes from Hays. Andy Flounders got a last minute equaliser for Brigg to send the game into extra time where a goal on 115 minutes from Graham Thompson was enough to send Brigg through to the next round.
Brigg went onto win the Vase beating Clitheroe in the final whilst Bedlington went onto finish runners-up in the Northen League just two points behind champions Billingham Synthonia.
Attendance of 169.

stingray

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 13 January 2001 - Barnet 2-0 York City (League Division 3)
Saturday 13 January 2007 - Leighton Town 2-0 Cinderford Town (Southern League Midlands)
Tuesday 13 January 2009 - Leamington 3-3 Leighton Town (Southern League Midlands)
Monday 13 January 2014 - Beaconsfield SYCOB 3-2 North Greenford United (Southern League Central)

Saturday 13 January 2018 - Leighton Town 4-1 London Tigers (South Midlands Premier)

huttonpark

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 13 January 1973
F A Cup Third Round
Orient 1 Coventry City 4
Attendance 12272
Programme 5p

When I lived at Wanstead in the early 1970s I often met up with former college mates on Saturday lunchtimes for a session in the Eagle at Snaresbrook. By the time some of these sessions had finished I did not have a lot of time left to get to a game and that was the situation I was in on this day in 1973. However as it was only two stops on the Central Line to Leyton, as long as I was underway by 2.30, I could still be inside the Brisbane Road ground by kick off time where there was always plenty of room even for an F A Cup tie against First Division opposition.

At the time of this game Orient were in the nether reaches of the Second Division whilst Coventry were mid table in the First Division. Coventry scored twice in the first five minutes and after that the result was never really in doubt. Orient did pull a goal back from a penalty but a further Coventry goal before half time and another in the second half gave a scoreline that accurately reflected the play.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
Another 10 today, with a brief mention for a couple.
Ann.JPG
Annan were in the East of Scotland League. This was the fourth time they had qualified for the Scottish Cup. The 3-3 draw at Shielfield the previous Saturday was the first time they had avoided defeat, and in his notes the Chairman expressed hope that the Galabank ground record of 1,250 could be broken today. In the event, 1,056 turned up to witness a 2-1 away win for the League club, but this was still nearly three times the 421 who watched the game in Berwick.

21 years earlier I was at:
Bury.JPG Bury1.JPG
Back then cup ties continued with as many replays as were required until a winner was found in open play. At some point, an option was introduced that from the second replay in the FA Cup clubs could toss a coin to determine home advantage. rather than go to a neutral venue. Don't know if that was in place in 1975 but, when a neutral venue was needed, The Hawthorns was (along with St Andrews and Filbert St) a popular choice when the tie involved a club from the North against one from the South. I went to many of these games - certainly well into double figures.

Standout name for me on the team lists is Lions captain and legend Barry Kitchener, who still holds the clubs' appearance record and has a stand named after him at The New Den. Barry was not to be a winner today, the Shakers coming out on top 2-0 in front of a crowd of 3,401.
BK.jpg
Barry Kitchener (1947 - 2012) RIP

Ellisref

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1974 - Midland Bank v Bourne Avenue (Bournemouth Sunday Junior 4) played in goal in a 0-2 defeat, a vast improvement on the 10-1 drubbing earlier in the season.
1979 - Wemgas v Carlton United (West End AFA Intermediate) - referee, a very hazy memory suggests the visitors were associated with the Carlton Hotel.
1980 - St Anselms v Academicals (Ron Halfacre Cup Round 3) - referee, followed by:
Anorthosis v New Salamis (Cypriot Premier) - linesman. This was one of the 16.00 games at Market Road as the lights were used.
1983 - Chiswick & Brentford Police v Kensington & Chelsea NALGO (London Midweek Cup Round 2) - referee, this seems to be a delayed fixture as I played in a Round 3 match a week later.
1990 - Epson & Ewell Res v Sutton United Res (Suburban South) - referee.
1991 - Brentford U18 v Marlow (Ealing Youth Premier) - referee, at Warren Farm training ground.
1996 - Brockenhurst Res v Bournemouth Res (Wessex Combination) - referee.
2002 - Branksome Conservative Club v Foresters Arms (Bournemouth Sunday Premier) - referee.
2007 - Poole Borough v Bridport Res (Dorset Premier) - referee.
2008 - Oakdale v Queens Park Rovers Res (Bournemouth Sunday 8) - referee.
2013 - A&T Athletic v Wimborne Magpyes (Bournemouth Sunday 5) - referee.
2018 - Christchurch v Whitchurch United (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 87.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
View attachment 7823 View attachment 7825
Back then cup ties continued with as many replays as were required until a winner was found in open play. At some point, an option was introduced that from the second replay in the FA Cup clubs could toss a coin to determine home advantage. rather than go to a neutral venue. Don't know if that was in place in 1975 but, when a neutral venue was needed, The Hawthorns was (along with St Andrews and Filbert St) a popular choice when the tie involved a club from the North against one from the South.
Shocking M'Lord , a couple of Crewe connections and the Baggies spell one name wrong. Riley & Duffey.

Funny that , same night was Fulham v Hull at Filbert St.

Loiner

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
None
1990- S & H FA Senior Cup 3rd round. Outibridge W M S C v Harworth C I. 1-4 (aet).
1996- Scottish FA Cup 2nd round replay. Annan Athletic v Berwick Rangers 1-2 ( covered by his Lordship above).
2001- Humber Premier. Beverley Town v Barton Town Old Boys 0-2.
2007- NRFA Challenge Cup 4th round. Bowes v Guisborough Quoit Club 1-2.
2018- WRFA County Challenge Cup 4th round. Alwoodley v Aberford Albion 3-0.

Dribble!

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
I was also at New Writtle Street for the Chelmsford v Ipswich match. My dad and I used to venture to Portman Road occasionally and living in Chelmsford he could not believe the draw. I was 9 at the time but my memories of my first of loads of visits to New Writtle Street is surprisingly clear. I also re all the pitch invasion by Ipswich fans at half time and the opening goal, a rocket of a free kick by the late Colin Harper the Ipswich left back who later managed Chelmsford. I also recall the game being shown on Anglia TV match if the week and commentator Gerry Harrison and the film crew being located on a scaffolding gantry of the main stand. We stood opposite the stand on the old barn terrace and it was heaving with over 15,000 packed in, amazingly not aground record.
There was coverage in the local press the following week which also covered some Ipswich fans wrecking a couple of car showrooms amongst other premises.
So New Writtle Street became my very first non league ground.....
Was a great goal from Harper - highlights here >

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1979 Tottenham Hotspur Res 4 Orient Res 0 (Football Combination)
1990 Finchley 1 Saffron Walden Town 1 Att 51 (Isthmian Div 2 North)
1996 Wingate & Finchley 2 Tring Town 3 Att 110 (Isthmian Div 3)
2002 Sydney United 1 Olympic Sharks 4 Att 4,589 (Australian National Soccer League)
2009 Wingate & Finchley 3 Enfield Town 2 Att 142 (Isthmian Div 1 North)
2016 Tottenham Hotspur 0 Leicester City 1 Att 35,850 (Premier League)
2018 Bushey Sports Club 3 Knebworth 4 Att 11 (Herts County Premier Div)
2018 Tottenham Hotspur 4 Everton 0 Att 76,251 (Premier League)
2019 Tottenham Hotspur 0 Manchester United 1 Att 80,062 (Premier League)

NeilH

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1979 Cambridge United 5 Cardiff City 0
Division 2

An Alan Biley hat-trick as United cruised past Cardiff

1988 Cambridge City 4 Dunstable 3
Southern League Cup

Very entertaining evening at Milton Road, Laurie Ryan scored for Dunstable and he would go on to be a City legend in the early 90's. Still see him now and again for a beer, not at the moment of course.

1990 Cambridge City 0 VS Rugby 1
1996 Cambridge City 0 Halesowen Town 1

Southern League Premier Division

2009 Histon 1 Swansea City 2
FA Cup 3rd round

This game was postponed on the 3rd January, and that postponement gave me access to a ticket that couldn't be used by the original holder for the midweek replay. Sat in the main stand with my friend Phil, Swansea were a class above Histon and could have won by a bigger margin. Histon never gave up and from memory got a late goal but couldn't get an unlikely draw. Just under 3,000 in Bridge Road.

2016 Cambridge City 1 Histon 0

Southern League Cup

Just 123 at Westwood Road in St Ives, and amongst them a number of idiots who caused quite a bit of aggro.

2018 Beaconsfield Town 3 Cambridge City 2
Southern League Premier Division

Met my friend John in London and got the train out to Beaconsfield. After enjoying a couple of pricey pints in a very posh pub in the town we walked over the M40 to the ground. Too many beers after the game and was grateful for the lift home from the Club Secretary rather than getting a train back.

bluearmybob

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1971. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v NEWCASTLE UNITED (1) FA Cup 3rd Rd Replay. 21,449.
1973. CHELMSFORD CITY (1) v IPSWICH TOWN (3) FA Cup 3rd Rd. 15,557.
1981. IPSWICH TOWN (5) v BIRMINGHAM CITY (1) League Division 1. Att 21,158.
1990. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v SHEFFIELD UNITED (1) League Division 2. Att 16,787.
1998. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v BRISTOL ROVERS (0) FA Cup 3rd Rd Replay. Att 11,362.
2018. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v LEEEDS UNITED (0) Championship. Att 18,638.

The Willows

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 13th January 2001

Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Weymouth 1 (1,784)

For some reason Stags away game at Macclesfield was taking place on Sunday, allowing for a first visit to Victoria Road. This was an FA Trophy 3rd Round fixture with both teams having a good season in their respective leagues. Dagenham would finish third in the Conference, whilst Southern League Weymouth finished fifth. It was a cold day and after a couple of pints in the Social Club our car load sheltered undercover on the North Terrace. The Terras brought a decent following and were rewarded with further progress thanks, to on loan from Plymouth striker, Lee Phillips.

norwich6

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Not too many to choose from for this day.

Saturday 13th January 1990
FA Trophy 1st Round Kick off 1500
Weymouth 2 v Barnet 0 half time 2-0 at Radipole Lane Attendance 1235
A train trip from Kent to Weymouth a town I have always liked having had
holidays there both as a child and then again as a adult. Weymouth played
well and almost scored in the first minute before scoring their first after 8 minutes
when Phillips helped a volley into the net, Then after a long spell of more pressure
they scored again after 38 minutes. Barnet made a double substitution at the
start of the second half but despite dominating they failed to score and Weymouth
went through. Weymouth lost 2-1 at Dover in the next round.

Saturday 13th January 1996
Suffolk Senior Cup 1/4 final kick off 1345
Walton Utd v Grundisburgh at Walton Utd Recreation Ground Felixstowe
Score 1-1 after extra time Grundisburgh won 5-4 on penalties
90 minutes score 1-1 half time 0-1 Attendance around 200
Admission free but programme was available for a donation
A match Grundisburgh should have won long before extra time they missed
a hatful of chances after taking the lead with a header after 8 minutes.
Walton got back into the match in the last 20 minutes of the game and
scored with a good headed goal. In extra time Grundisburgh dominated
but once again were let down by their finishing.

This was just a basic recreation ground pitch which was partly roped off and
the only facility was a small changing block on the halfway line which I think
was wooden . Not sure if any uses the pitch at all nowadays.

Saturday 13th January 2018
Anglian Combination Division 5 South Kick off 1400
Tacolneston v AC Mill Lane 0 half time 1-0 Match at Open Academy Norwich
Admission free Attendance 10 No programme
A match switched to the 3g pitch at the Open Academy due to waterlogging at
Tacolneston , unfortunately Tacolneston's pitch is a notoriously bad drainer,
A decent match between two of the leading sides in the Division with a
goal in each half. At the end of the season Mill Lane finished 3rd in the table
whilst Tacolneston were 4th. Mill Lane were promoted to Division 4 for the
following season.

IAN S

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
For me, it appears a typical list of 13 games, but only three of them are ground ticks. So lets get one off the list
1975 - Hillingdon Borough 3-1 Hendon. FA Trophy, First Round Replay

and on to 1979. It was not my intention to go to a new ground on this date. I had still been at the parent's home on Tuesday, when I had gone to see Wimbledon, but I was back in University for Saturday. Not only that, but I had an exam on the Saturday morning. The exam times were probably 9-12, but I am sure I answered all the questions I could and left early. Its OK, I passed (that one). From their, it would be straight down to Temple Meads and onto a London bound train.

It is at Paddington that thoughts about my plan occurred. There was a sign up at the station with a list of Football League matches in London called off due to the freezing weather. I doubt if the list included an FA Trophy game at Leatherhead. I do know I took the time at this point to check, and the Fetcham Grove pitch was indeed frozen. SO I am at Paddington, it is early afternoon - time to make a plan B

1979 - Arsenal 2-1 Nottingham Forest (52,158). Football League, Division One
The Arsenal team included record signing Brian Talbot (£450,000) making his Arsenal debut - the full team is Jennings, Walford, Nelson, Talbot, O'Leary, Young, Brady, Sunderland, Stapleton, Price, Rix. Sub: Gatting. The line up from the Reigning League Champions was Shilton, Anderson, Clark, McGovern, Lloyd, Needham, O'Neill, Gemmill, Birtles, Woodcock, Robinson. Sub: Gunn
The thing that stood out in my memories of the match was the kicking of Pat Jennings. Never before, (and rarely since) had I seen a player who could drop kick the ball up field, 60 or 70 yards and for it to be a pass rather than a punt. John Robinson scored for Forest in the first period, with David Price equalising, before Frank Stapleton scored the winner.
Forest would end the season as runners-up to Liverpool, but with the European Cup in their trophy cabinet. Arsenal finished 7th but won the FA Cup
Leatherhead went on to beat Hillingdon, probably on the following Tuesday, but I could not go

The next time I picked up a new ground on this date, also a Saturday, was
1990 - Stamco 2-1 Saltdean United (48) Sussex Division 2 Cup (£1, +10p). This was before money came to the Stamco club and they moved to Hastings as St. Leonards Stamcroft. Hence they were still playing at Panel Lane, from where you could just see the sea through a low point in the hills. Similarities with Arsenal, well the away team scored first here as well

A quick run through the other revisits. Very quick as Cheltenham did not win of the five mentions they get

1981 - Enfield 0-0 Aylesbury United (836). FA Trophy, First Round Replay. Abandoned at 90 minutes, no extra time. Second replay at Chesham with Aylesbury winning 1-0
1986 - Worcester City 3-1 Road Sea Southampton (718). Southern League. (£1.50)
1988 - Worksop Town 3-0 Maltby MW (250). Sheffield & Hallamshire Cup (£1.50, no programme?)
1998 - Cheltenham Town 1-1 Reading (6150). FA Cup, Third Round (£9+£1.50). A Tuesday night, having been called off ten days earlier, Cheltenham took the lead with a Dale Watkins penalty, Trevor Morley got the equaliser. Starts around 23 minutes into this. I have not spotted myself in the pictures, but I am there
2001 - Cheltenham Town 1-2 Hartlepool United (3574) League (Season+£2)
2004 - Lincoln City 0-0 Cheltenham Town (3464) League (£14+£2.50)
2007 - Huddersfield Town 2-0 Cheltenham Town (9830) League (£10+£3)
2009 - Cheltenham Town 0-0 Doncaster Rovers (4416) FA Cup Third Round (£15+£3) Another First game in the Cup on a Tuesday night, probably a partial explanation for my revisit to Monmouth ten days earlier

2011 - Syria 1-2 Japan (10453) Asian Cup. (Comp).
We hired a car for the day and took a tour around the country. There are a few fishing ports and smaller towns, we saw some camels, and visited a fort, and we passed this, the Al-Shamal Sports Club in the north of the country. It is a football ground
View attachment 7807

This is a genuine fort :)
View attachment 7809

The game was at Qatar Sports Club, Japan had scored in the first half, with the drama coming in after 72 minutes when the Japanese keeper, Kawashima was sent off. After the changing keeper delay, Al khatib scored for Syria from the penalty spot. Seven minutes later, Keisuke Honda restored Japan's lead also from a penalty. Syria also had a player sent off, but only in the fifth minute of injury time
View attachment 7810

2019 - CO Saint-Saturnin-Arche 3-1 Stade Mayennais (58) Coupe Pays de la Loire, 1/32 finals. (€5, no programme). A good win for COSSA against a team one level higher than themselves
View attachment 7811
I can confirm Leo that there was no programme at Worksop.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks