Impact coronavirus is having on world football. Who's playing or not. .

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
What happened the first time I looked at the link is that it was showing (as a default) the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League, which I naturally assumed was the top division. I don't know if this was just my computer playing up? I had to go back into it and choose the 'Elverys Sport Super League' from the drop-down list.

So it looks all good now and you are right about the fixtures starting in mid-July. I can see myself going there on Sunday 19th July as long as I don't have to take a virus test on entering the country (which I will probably do by ferry rather than flying, as they may be less fussy that way) and perhaps going to Westport or Castlebar as these are the biggest towns. I doubt whether any teams in that league issue programmes, but if they have proper linesmen in the top division (or the cup games taking place on the 19th) then I'll be happy with that.

As for the Buncranaboy comment, that was a joke but it might be a good idea to either have a separate thread for Eire, or to retitle the thread 'Summer fixtures in the British Isles 2020' to make it easier for people to find the Mayo fixtures.

(Edit; just noticed something odd, they have 2pm kick-off on the 26th July but have not yet decided the start times for the 19th?)
I'm sure Paddy will like the joke.
So glad you've mastered the site now 🤔
Also sure anyone can put Mayo in search engine and find it.
Re Great Britain in title not UK. Done.
Fixtures / kick offs do change , they have a good Facebook page.
Programmes, been 9/10 games, being a Summer League for a good few years has helped, NO sniff of a programme. Thats not saying somebody doesn't issue, it means I've not got one.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I'm sure Paddy will like the joke.
So glad you've mastered the site now 🤔
Also sure anyone can put Mayo in search engine and find it.
Re Great Britain in title not UK. Done.
Fixtures / kick offs do change , they have a good Facebook page.
Programmes, been 9/10 games, being a Summer League for a good few years has helped, NO sniff of a programme. Thats not saying somebody doesn't issue, it means I've not got one.
Tell me the joke again as I've obviously missed it 🤔

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Tell me the joke again as I've obviously missed it 🤔
You'll be catching me up soon Paddy, Ashers having a dig, Tranmere Paul yesterday. Keep up the good work.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Tell me the joke again as I've obviously missed it
I was referring to the fact that many Irish people wouldn't be happy about the Mayo League being in a thread about UK summer football. Not really a joke I know, but as you are possibly the only Irish person on this forum, I thought that mentioning you would be a good way of pointing this out. However, I see that Hoddy has changed the title from 'Summer football in the UK' to 'Summer football in Great Britain' rather than my suggestion of 'British Isles' so perhaps he sees the funny side of it too.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Tempted to go myself for the 25/26 July weekend, as Athenry have a home FAI Cup QF on the Saturday (which means the Mayo League cup fixtures are not set in stone, as they‘re also listed to play on the Sunday).

But currently any arrivals to Ireland have to self isolate for 14 days, so a visit isn’t possible unless that changes.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
But currently any arrivals to Ireland have to self isolate for 14 days, so a visit isn’t possible unless that changes.
Is that correct? It certainly would not apply to those crossing the border from Northern Ireland. So to be on the safe side, anyone wanting to watch a match in the Mayo League could catch a bus from Londonderry, or a bus from Belfast to Dublin and then take a train or bus from there.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Is that correct? It certainly would not apply to those crossing the border from Northern Ireland. So to be on the safe side, anyone wanting to watch a match in the Mayo League could catch a bus from Londonderry, or a bus from Belfast to Dublin and then take a train or bus from there.
It is correct, I wouldn‘t have posted it otherwise. You can get around it by travelling via Northern Ireland though.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

Last edited:

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Tempted to go myself for the 25/26 July weekend, as Athenry have a home FAI Cup QF on the Saturday (which means the Mayo League cup fixtures are not set in stone, as they‘re also listed to play on the Sunday).
Just been trying to check the Athenry fixture you mention but according to; https://www.mayofootballleague.ie/l/match/28284559.html

it's not the FAI Cup, it's the TP Brennan Connacht Cup they are home in, it's shown as Sunday 26th July. It's interesting to see that Athenry is actually in Galway and not Mayo. In saying all this, I have to admit that I know very little about Irish football below the top two tiers.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Just been trying to check the Athenry fixture you mention but according to; https://www.mayofootballleague.ie/l/match/28284559.html

it's not the FAI Cup, it's the TP Brennan Connacht Cup they are home in, it's shown as Sunday 26th July. It's interesting to see that Athenry is actually in Galway and not Mayo. In saying all this, I have to admit that I know very little about Irish football below the top two tiers.
Tweet from the Connacht FA this week says FAI Junior Cup QFs include Athenry v Rush Athletic on the Saturday and Westport Utd v Oliver Bond Celtic on the Sunday, both at 2pm.

Neither FAI fixture Is on the Mayo League website, but I’d expect the Connacht Cup ties to be postponed to make way for them.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Thanks, I've just been looking at the FAI site and it seems that the Junior Cup is second only to the FAI Cup (no 'Intermediate' Cup) which is good as hopefully this means there will be proper linesmen.

One thing that will be a problem is the fact that anyone travelling from the UK would need to stay in a hotel between these two games, so (assuming that nothing changes between now and then) would the hotel staff ask questions about how you got to Eire if you don't have a copy of the COVID-19 Passenger Locator form?

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
The latest news from Ireland might impact on Mayo League and FAI Junior Cup fixtures later this month.
Don't know if anyone was actually intending to travel (Chris?), but even if matches are played there doesn't seem much point in visiting Ireland while the pubs remain shut.
Thanks for your update as I had been seriously considering going there although according to the link, pubs serving food can remain open. I'm not bothered about pubs but what is of more concern to me is that the limit to outdoor crowds will now remain at 200 until August rather than being increased to 500 from 20th July. Even before the latest bad news, the matches at Athenry and Westport were all-ticket according to the club's twitter accounts and I doubt if it will now be feasible to go there. But will keep checking their twitter accounts and those of the other two clubs staging their quarter-finals.

And as a footnote, have since found out that there is an Intermediate Cup competition so my earlier post about there not being one was wrong.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
And as a footnote, have since found out that there is an Intermediate Cup competition so my earlier post about there not being one was wrong.
:unsure:
There are National and County 'Intermediate' AND 'Junior' Cups.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Athenry have announced (on Instagram) that tickets won't now be available for supporters. Apparently the limit on 200 people includes 'players, management, backroom staff, match officials, observers, medical personnel, media, stewards and dignitaries'.

It'll be streamed live on Facebook though, for those who like to watch live coverage of obscure overseas games.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
It'll be streamed live on Facebook though, for those who like to watch live coverage of obscure overseas games.
Your joking , people like to watch games on TV / other media is available ?

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Further to my Mayo League starting date.
Others started that weekend of July18. 18th unless stated.

First teams only.

Clare & D.
Donegal.
Inishowen.
Leinster(6th)
Roscommon & D.
Sligo / Leitrim.
Tipperary.
Ulster SL. (Cockhill won league at Bonagee on the 26th , plenty left)
Wexford.(19th)

On ringing club secs in Wexford for Tues 21/Wed 22 I was told the crowd was capped at 200 but that included Teams / Officials etc.
In the case of North End United I was told they were hoping for a big crowd but it would be well less than 200 and in any case we can't count here !

Last edited:

johnr

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Regarding Republic of Ireland, the Government are due to decide on 4th August whether they will allow crowds of up to 500 people gathering, starting from 10 August. The reopening of pubs and bars for drinkers (you have to have a meal with a drink at present) is also up for review.

At present, you can enter ROI via Northern Ireland without quarantine. You can leave from ROI direct to GB without any restriction.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
At present, you can enter ROI via Northern Ireland without quarantine. You can leave from ROI direct to GB without any restriction.
The Liverpool - Belfast overnight ferry is a bit pricey but you can combine that for a day trip with returning from Dublin if you want or again overnight back from Belfast.

The main problem is the long weekend / overnight stay , very difficult finding accomadation , a lot of guest houses / hotels are still not open . So a big car is recommended.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
We are looking at heading to Republic next month and the locator form states

Exemption.
If you are leaving the port/airport because you are heading to NI or overseas you do not need to provide further information.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks