How soon could step 7 football return?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Good that someone got it :) but Bishops Stortford doesn't exist anyway
I think it has been absorbed into Stansted, as Mr. Bishop Stortford has been excommunicated

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Is it The old Viking Sports ground ?
I see where you're coming from but I don't think it is. Mind you, I'm struggling to come up with an alternative. There seems to be two goals at the far end but they're both outside the ground (though they're possibly just resting there), and the cover at the near end seems to be facing the wrong way! Magnifying the sign on the roof seems to depict a badge or logo but the angle is too tight to identify it.

image.jpeg

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
I'm sure Viking Sports' ground was three sided when I visited (a 1-5 defeat to Bashley in FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round, September 1998). Remember sitting on a tree lined bank behind far goal, they would have had to move the pitch to fit a rail and any hard standing behind there. That covered shelter is odd, looks to be facing away from the pitch!

Last edited:

lbennett777

Junior Team Hopeful
I believe the the ground in question is Haywood Way - Home of Aylesbury Vale Dynamos , who play in the Spartan South Midlands league

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
I believe the the ground in question is Haywood Way - Home of Aylesbury Vale Dynamos , who play in the Spartan South Midlands league
Bingo!
And, from a photo of the ground on googlemaps images taken from the field behind the near goal, you can see how the wrong-facing cover is an optical illusion - the corrugated panel and black frame is actually set back from the pitch, with the path running pitch-side in front of it.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
October for spectators to watch sport Boris suggests
The difference between spectators in stadiums and spectators at recreational sport.

So for example with cricket, anyone can attend recreational game - see where did you go other sports for examples... (basically distinguished by not paying admission). But county cricket still off limits.

I'd suspect as soon as go ahead given for grassroots football, step 7 will be fine

Unicorn

Youth Team Regular
The difference between spectators in stadiums and spectators at recreational sport.

So for example with cricket, anyone can attend recreational game - see where did you go other sports for examples... (basically distinguished by not paying admission). But county cricket still off limits.

I'd suspect as soon as go ahead given for grassroots football, step 7 will be fine
Yes its hard to play behind closed doors when there are no doors for many at this level.

pokal02

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
A couple of points:
a) Would the leagues that cut across Steps 6/7 (SSML & Midland and Hellenic - sort of) start their lower divisions before the Step 5/6 divisions if this is allowed?
b) As has been pointed out, some Step 7 ground sharers do have 'stadiums'. Would they not be allowed to play - perhaps they could play away games only till Oct, although difficult if a significant number are ground sharing (eg Middx Co)?

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
A couple of points:
a) Would the leagues that cut across Steps 6/7 (SSML & Midland and Hellenic - sort of) start their lower divisions before the Step 5/6 divisions if this is allowed?
b) As has been pointed out, some Step 7 ground sharers do have 'stadiums'. Would they not be allowed to play - perhaps they could play away games only till Oct, although difficult if a significant number are ground sharing (eg Middx Co)?
Interesting questions. My own view would be that its all in the definition of stadia, and that's something those making decisions see as over, say, 5000. Certainly some of the cricket grounds where games taking place share with football and have facilities (Stourbridge are at home and playing today for example) so I'm sure it will be fine

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Interesting questions. My own view would be that its all in the definition of stadia, and that's something those making decisions see as over, say, 5000. Certainly some of the cricket grounds where games taking place share with football and have facilities (Stourbridge are at home and playing today for example) so I'm sure it will be fine
Today's FA update addresses the subject....basically watch this space but here's what they say:

"We have a specific proposal lodged with DCMS, with oversight from the Sports Ground Safety Authority, on the return of Spectators at NLS Grounds. This is yet to be approved and as such, any pre-season fixture must be, until advised otherwise, planned to be behind closed doors.

We are aware of the announcements by the Prime Minister on Friday, 17th June regarding the return of spectators to elite sport and have requested clarity on the impact of this on our proposal."

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
With the latest advice to grassroots being that training can recommence and PSFs from 1 August I find it somewhat ironic that my local council have just taken all the posts down at the rec up the road.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
Yes its hard to play behind closed doors when there are no doors for many at this level.
I've now seen several posts on Twitter regarding PSFs being behind closed doors even though some of the venues are open public spaces. So in these cases they are making interested parties aware but then saying don't come along.

Dribble!

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Suffolk and Ipswich League starting on 5 September- announced today -

Following a meeting of the League Officers last night, an agreed start date for SIL football was made. The season will be from Saturday September 5th to Saturday May 15th. A round of Senior Division matches will be played on Saturday September 5th along with the two outstanding semi finals in the 2019-20 Travel Plus Tours Cup.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks