HORNCHURCH FC - REPORTS FROM OPPONENTS' WEB SITES

Tony Middleton

Junior Team Hopeful
The Hornchurch FC History for 2019-20 is taking on a different format, as we are including reports of our matches as published on the opponent’s web site.

We have reports of all our matches on our own web site, but we are missing reports on the following matches from our opponents.

If anyone can help with the following, it will be greatly appreciated -

19-Oct-10§9 – Leatherhead 2 Hornchurch 1

02-Nov-2019 - Hornchurch 3 Potters Bar Town 1

05-Nov-2019 – brentwood Town 2 Hornchurch 4 (Essex Senor Cup)

09-Nov-2019 – Basildon Utd 1 Hornchurch 6 (FA Trophy)

16-Nov-2019 – Hornchurch 1 Corinthian Casuals 1

18-Dec-2019 – Bracknell Town 2 Hornchurch 0 (Isthmian League Cup)

28-Dec-2019 – Hornchurch 3 Brightlingsea Regent 0

18-Jan-2020 – Hornchurch 1 Leatherhead 1

25-Jan-2020 – Bowers & Pitsea 0 Hornchurch 1

29-Feb-2020 – Hornchurch 2 Haringey Borough 1

SWTR256

Junior Team Hopeful
I assume you are asking permission in each case to make use of their report.

E&E Rich

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Epsom & Ewell
Excellent idea Tony and one that I have also been doing at Epsom and Ewell for a few years now. I also have almost 6,000 reports, home and away, from earlier years which will all one day find their way onto the club website.

For what it's worth, I do not believe you need permission to replicate anyone else's report as long as you give the appropriate credit. They were all placed in the public domain, either on a website or in a match programme and I think that they provide a good balance against the home report. They will also provide a larger audience for the original reporter, so why anyone would have an issue with their report being seen by a greater number of people is beyond me. As I was once told, "publish or be damned"!

BertD

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
(AFC) Wimbledon (FC)
& Related Leagues.
Like yourself, Richard, I'm a great believer in putting my findings into the public domain, but the expression is "publish and be damned" and it certainly never hurts to ask first!

Tony Middleton

Junior Team Hopeful
Richard – Bert

Thanks for your feedback. None of the reports used were subject to copyright, although I wrote to all clubs asking if they had any objections to them being used, and all the replies were positive. Two clubs also gave permission to use any other material on their web sites. Yes, credit has been given in all cases.

The main problem was that some clubs do not have reports on their web sites, and to get around this I went to the local papers of the clubs concerned – with surprising results. Some of the local papers only had a single sentence on the matches, and other papers had simply adapted the reports from the Hornchurch web site. It now seems to be a growing trend for papers not to send a reporter to a match but to use either a club’s twitter feed and / or the report on the club’s own web site.

Anyway – the Hornchurch History – the first History was published about ten years ago, and it covered the period from 1923 to when they were forced to change their name to AFC Hornchurch following the financial problems that hit the national papers at the time.

I was never happy with the original History, (we were let down by two printers and had to find a printer at the last minute), and have since rewritten the History completely, using contemporary reports from our own match programmes. The eventual rewrite came to well over 300 pages, and it has been published in our own match day programmes, over two seasons, using one season in each programme – this came to an abrupt halt when the current season was curtailed, and will resume eventually.

Volume 2, which covered the period when Hornchurch FC were known as AFC Hornchurch, was published last season and the book was over 200 pages in length, with over 60 colour photos. It included a detailed review of each season, profiles of every player who made five or more appearances, plus others who had made less appearances but who had none the less played an important role. There were also articles from Colin McBride (manager and then owner of AFCH), Alex Sharp (Chairman), John Lawrence (manager in our first season), Elliot Styles (longest serving player) and George Purcell (all-time leading scorer).

The one I am working on at the moment is effectively Volume 3, and will cover the curtailed season 2019-20 – this is just over 100 pages in length, and again will include around ten pages of colour photos.

BertD

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
(AFC) Wimbledon (FC)
& Related Leagues.
Are volumes II and III both wire bound too?

Tony Middleton

Junior Team Hopeful
Bert
The Vol 2 was Perfect Binding (A4 size) and the Vol 3 will also be.
The original History was only spiral bound because we were let down twice in quick succession by two different printers, and would otherwise have missed getting the book out in time for the new season.

The History of AFC Hornchurch (which is Vol 2) had 200 pages and over 60 colour photos. Anyone who bought this one was also given an updated version of the first History if they supplied a memory stick and the updated History was in PDF format.

The updated History (from 1923) is considerably larger than the original one - it has 200 pages of text, plus all line ups and results, players appearances, and other statistical information.

Vol 2 (AFC Hornchurch) was £15 and was almost sold out (only a few books are left).

BertD

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
(AFC) Wimbledon (FC)
& Related Leagues.
Thanks Tony. I have the first volume here. Some histories, a small number mind, are overly glossy and lacking in content, to my mind the content is far more important. A good website can be many times better than a bad book! I though you're first effort was a good read, but having re-edited my own (as yet incomplete) effort so many times I appreciate a second version that you are happier with is a good thing. Have you thought of republishing that too?

New Forest

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leyton, Matllock Swifts, Leyton Wingate, Leyton Pennant, Waltham Forest and Walthamstow
Copyright is a minefield. The golden rule is that anything published is only in the public domain 70 years after the death of the author. So anything in the 21st century is bound to be under copyright to someone.

In reality newspaper reports from fifty years ago will probably not have the authors named or by-line. Therefore it is difficult to trace the person responsible. I have always worked on the premise that provided you acknowledge the source you are not trying to claim it as your own. Anyone who claims it is copyright then I would ask them for the authors name and contact details and you will contact them and the promise to acknowledge them in the next edition. That should put them off.

As for 'Publish and be dammed' who is going to notice a report they wrote in 1937 and be able to prove it.

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub
The copyright of a newspaper article belongs to the newspaper in all but exceptional circumstances., and the idea that just because something in on a website it can be copied is simply wrong.

Having said that, I doubt a non-league club are going to object to a fellow club using their report in such a way if they're acknowledged I do find it a bit peeving when I find that the core of my report has been used and someone else has the byline.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks