Highland League 2020/1

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The Highland League have opted for a reduced fixture list next season with teams playing each other just once. Means a 16 game programme, starting mid October sometime. With the season needing to be finished my mid April they had little choice. Ordinarily they would have had around a dozen games played by this season’s proposed start date.

They also intend to complete last season’s Highland League Cup, as well as the 2020/1 version.

SotonSats

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
The Highland League have opted for a reduced fixture list next season with teams playing each other just once. Means a 16 game programme, starting mid October sometime. With the season needing to be finished my mid April they had little choice. Ordinarily they would have had around a dozen games played by this season’s proposed start date.

They also intend to complete last season’s Highland League Cup, as well as the 2020/1 version.
Sort of makes sense the other option would be to split in two either top half bottom half and play twice or Geographical split with play offs vs equivalent teams from other group. The top half bottom half was something they were previously considering if they got a couple of extra entries if I remember rightly? Also might have been more competitive? PS got the Almanac today spent a few hours reading in bed lol!!! May I say what an excellent production! Money well spent. Many thanks!!!

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Star
Sort of makes sense the other option would be to split in two either top half bottom half and play twice or Geographical split with play offs vs equivalent teams from other group. The top half bottom half was something they were previously considering if they got a couple of extra entries if I remember rightly? Also might have been more competitive? PS got the Almanac today spent a few hours reading in bed lol!!! May I say what an excellent production! Money well spent. Many thanks!!!
I suppose the only other thing they could have done was reduce or scrap their cups to try and get a full league card.
Think the leagues in the Lowland area are going down that route.

Sungater

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None
I suppose the only other thing they could have done was reduce or scrap their cups to try and get a full league card.
Think the leagues in the Lowland area are going down that route.
I an not sure scrapping cup games would help much as these are generally relatively local & played midweek. The amount of travelling and lack of decent fast roads makes midweek league fixtures a big problem, particularly if the weather is bad.

The Lowland league is more compact geographically and benefits from a better road network so less of a problem for them.

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The key difference is the number of artificial pitches. 9/17 In the LL as opposed to 0/17 In the HL, would make all the difference in an average to worse than average winter.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Star
The key difference is the number of artificial pitches. 9/17 In the LL as opposed to 0/17 In the HL, would make all the difference in an average to worse than average winter.
A massive difference for the LL with no artificial pitches it’s probably best having the reduced league games. What’s the format with the League Cup do they fit it in as they go along?

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Recently the League Cup has been straight ko, played on Saturdays. Last seasons is at the SF stage.

This year they intend to wait until the New Year to decide a format. May be straight ko or may be sections depending on progress with fixtures.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Star
Recently the League Cup has been straight ko, played on Saturdays. Last seasons is at the SF stage.

This year they intend to wait until the New Year to decide a format. May be straight ko or may be sections depending on progress with fixtures.
Thanks I was thinking if it was groups problems maybe ahead, at least with a knock out it gets done quicker.
Brora will also have 4 Betfred Cup games although they will be out of the way early, and at least one Tunnocks Cup game as well as the Scottish Cup if they get a golden ticket.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
The Highland League season has been delayed until at least November 28 due to increased Covid-19 restrictions in Scotland.

The Scottish Government last week introduced new measures to try to control cases of the virus, including delaying the return of fans to sports stadia indefinitely.

As a result, the Highland League restart has been postponed from its scheduled October 17 start date. Highland clubs have repeatedly expressed a view the return of the league without supporters in unfeasible.

A statement from the league said: “The Highland League has decided to pause the start of the 2020-2021 season in view of the current public health circumstances.

“The season will not start before Saturday 28th November and confirmation of that or an extension of the pause will be considered at a meeting during the week beginning Monday 9th November.

“The League Management Committee undertook a careful and detailed consideration of the current situation and felt that, all things considered, a pause was the most appropriate course of action.”

SIGH

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
But they are finishing off last season's Highland League Cup, which is at the SF stage. BCD, streamed.

"The latter stages of the Utilita Highland League Cup 2019-2020 were held over when the Highland League decided to terminate the 2019-20 season in March 2020.

The meeting of the League Management Committee has decided that these stages should be completed in October 2020.

Consequently, the semi-finals will be played on Saturday 17th October 2020:
Brora Rangers v Buckie Thistle [this has subsequently been moved to the Sunday]
Formartine United v Rothes.
These matches will be played behind closed doors with live streaming via a subscription channel.

The same arrangement will hold for the final which will be held at a venue to be announced on Saturday 24th October.

More details regarding matches and live stream access will be announced as soon as they are finalised.

In making this decision, the League Management Committee took the view that, while the start of season 2020-2021 had been paused, there remained an opportunity to complete season 2019-20 in a concise form and within current match guidelines. "

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Inverurie Locos and Forres Mechanics have both announced that they are suspending all football operations. In the unlikely event of the Highland starting in November, it remains to be seen if they will cobble together some sort of a team, or whether they will sit things out for now.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
The Rothes-Buckie neutral venue final was somewhat ambitiously set for Keith on Saturday 24th October, and somewhat predictably was waterlogged off.
They'll try again on Saturday 31st October, this time at Huntly.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks