Hellenic Division 2

Chris1963

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Here in Staines we always refer to ourselves as Middlesex. Only official bodies think we are in Surrey as we come under Surrey County Council, but only since 1973. As far as we're concerned we're north of the Thames and that means Middlesex..
No disrespect intended to Staines, but it's a funny place. I have never thought of it as being in either Middlesex or Surrey (unlike nearby Egham, which I think of as being in Surrey.)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Well there was the spoof washing advert, "gets rid of terrible Staines", which involved a large explosion destroying the town. Quite frankly, it has always appeared to me to be typical of surburbia. But apparently not wanted by the London Boroughs* when Middlesex (as an administrative area) was broken up, and hence transferred to Surrey.

Middlesex, of course lives on and I think that goes beyond the mindset of those born before 1965. It has a County FA and County cricket. It can be included in your postal address. There are a number of welcome signs at the borders

*not really, doubt if there was any choice

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Hopeful
And why is it ‘funny’? :unsure:
Good question, a few years ago we drove through Staines and after reaching the far side my other half asked where it was. Once I told her she said she never wanted to go there again (we hadn't even stopped !) - she gave no explanation and her tone suggested it was best not to ask :cautious:

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
Well there was the spoof washing advert, "gets rid of terrible Staines",
With the upsurge in popularity of American Football in the UK in the 1980s, with hundreds of teams forming, the Staines team were called The Staines Removers. They still have a FB page but no updates for 8 years.

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
It wasn’t shown in the league tables last season but they are officially known as FC Swindon Robins.
With the background of FC Swindon Robins, being very speedway related, and in advance of the postponed Easter Groundhop game there, I helped in arranging an article about them being published in Speedway Star magazine, which was much appreciated by the football club.

The article was included on their various media outlets too. Unbelievably there is a children's football team called Robins FC using the same badge in the Swindon area . Lady is too strong a word to use so let's say their secretary contacted the magazine editor, within hours of publication, in a non too pleasant way suggesting they were the original Swindon Robins FC and the Hellenic League team, are FC Robins so to stop referring to them without the prefix. Reminded me of The Life of Brian with the various Judean People's Fronts.

Maybe she gave the Ashby boys at FC the same rocket. Wrongly or not I did a media search of said secretary, following which I feel so sorry for her bathroom mirror.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
With the background of FC Swindon Robins, being very speedway related, and in advance of the postponed Easter Groundhop game there, I helped in arranging an article about them being published in Speedway Star magazine, which was much appreciated by the football club.

The article was included on their various media outlets too. Unbelievably there is a children's football team called Robins FC using the same badge in the Swindon area . Lady is too strong a word to use so let's say their secretary contacted the magazine editor, within hours of publication, in a non too pleasant way suggesting they were the original Swindon Robins FC and the Hellenic League team, are FC Robins so to stop referring to them without the prefix. Reminded me of The Life of Brian with the various Judean People's Fronts.

Maybe she gave the Ashby boys at FC the same rocket. Wrongly or not I did a media search of said secretary, following which I feel so sorry for her bathroom mirror.
She's still there!

Chris1963

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
And why is it ‘funny’?
I think you're taking things too seriously. Let's put it this way, if someone on this forum had said that Oxford is a 'funny' place, I wouldn't have been offended at all.

Steveb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
I think you're taking things too seriously. Let's put it this way, if someone on this forum had said that Oxford is a 'funny' place, I wouldn't have been offended at all.
Don‘t misunderstand me. I’ve not taken it seriously at all, I was just curious as I grew up close to Staines and had never considered it unusual in any way.

Anyway, this thread should be allowed to get back to Hellenic Division Two.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
It is, think of all the well known comedians who come from the town as well as those jokers who went to "school" there and ended up in government.

Ellisref

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
The borough council, or whoever's in charge and local businesses are trying to improve the image of the place by renaming it Staines-on-Thames.

I have to confess that, when working in Ashford (Middx) in the late 1970s, I used to enjoy lunch in the delightful Swan pub by the river (albeit on the south side).

Ashtree RockBee

Junior Team Star
Is anyone prepared to speculate how many of these Hellenic League 2 (and maybe even Division 1) clubs might transfer across to one of the new 'Thames Valley' step divisions the Combined Counties were meant to operate from next season and, I assume, will be running the season after next? Do you think some of these clubs have joined Hellenic League 2 as a temporary marker to get used to, for example, longer match travel in case they get the nod to join the new step divisions?

windydcfc

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
On a similar subject I knew an officer in the RAF in the mid 90’s called Mike Hunt. I believe he didn’t have a sense of humour either lol

Unicorn

Youth Team Star
Is anyone prepared to speculate how many of these Hellenic League 2 (and maybe even Division 1) clubs might transfer across to one of the new 'Thames Valley' step divisions the Combined Counties were meant to operate from next season and, I assume, will be running the season after next? Do you think some of these clubs have joined Hellenic League 2 as a temporary marker to get used to, for example, longer match travel in case they get the nod to join the new step divisions?
So many are Reserve or Development teams.
I am sure Step 7 had a limit of 25% of each division so i guess the change of name will not alter that.
Those that are first teams either have no ambition to progress or if they do have should try to get transferred as soon as possible as you suggest.

Ladderman

Youth Team Star
Bet not as much as the parents of Harlow ‘s Richard Head
To be fair to Dicky's parents, dick head wasn't an insult when he was born. However the parebts Drew Peacock should've been shot.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Sub
So many are Reserve or Development teams.
I am sure Step 7 had a limit of 25% of each division so i guess the change of name will not alter that.
Those that are first teams either have no ambition to progress or if they do have should try to get transferred as soon as possible as you suggest.
Agreed.

I haven't visited all of the grounds of the Hellenic 2 first teams, but of the ones I do know, Yateley, Taplow, Stokenchurch, FC Beaconsfield and Chalfont Wasps effectively play in parks or fields. Some like Chalfont do have a little bit of cover. Chinnor do have lights and a very small amount of seating but are still really in the corner of a park and would struggle imo to get a Step 6 berth.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Yateley were groundsharing at Sandhurst Town last season according to the Traveller Directory. Wish they would move back to Sean Deveraux Park if it's still there as I misssed it when they were in the Hampshire League, got there once and the game was off.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks