Hellenic Division 2

Ellisref

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Every League has to be afiiliated to either the FA directly, or to a County.
In the past, any league with teams affiliated to four or more County FAs could affiliate directly to the FA. [This figure was given to me over 20 years ago, so it may have changed].

If I have understood the messages and the FA directive, they now believe all leagues below Step 6 should be affiliated only to a County, and they specifically stated that for the South Midland and Midland Leagues, the Feeder divisions would be treated differently to the Step 5/6 divisions. Hellenic was not mentioned as it was not a Step 7 league

One can imagine that Hellenic Division two might have to affiliate to a different county for each division
I was under the impression it was 5 counties, then the competition had to sanctioned centrally by the FA. That was certainly the case when I was running the Inland Revenue competitions with teams coming from all over the country, plus the added complication of teams in Wales, Scotland and N Ireland. I recall one year our Wrexham office tried to use an existing club affiliation to enter but the FAW weren't having any of it.

ramblingrover

Junior Team Starter
What happens at the moment.
The FA sanction the Step 5 and Step 6.
I would imagine the Division two sides are already sanctioned by a county.? Maybe.
I can not see the 4 division two divisions all being sanctioned by different FAs.
The member clubs can be affiliated to different FAs but surely the Hellenic League can only be sanctioned by one County FA or be sanctioned by the FA as their Step 5 and 6 divisions are.
As far as I know last season the Division 2's were sanctioned by the FA, From next season they have to be run as a separate competition from the NLS leagues for the purpose of sanctioning.

If I was to hazard a guess as which county I'd say Oxford especially as the Leagues CEO is on the board and they already have links for the veterans divisions.

Where it could get interesting is if the Hellenic eventually gets Regional Feeder League Status. As for an ambitious club it's probably more attractive to try and get out of a Hellenic Division 2 than work your way up the County Pyramids where you've probably got to get through 2-3 promotions to even get in the feeder leagues because of county FA rules.

Sarumio Whites

Junior Team Sub
The Wycombe & District League folded last year.

The North Bucks League covers the north of the county, the Aylesbury & District League covers the south of the county. All Bucks sides at step 7 are in the Spartan South Midlands League Division Two, except Richings Park who play in the Thames Valley Premier League

Sarumio Whites

Junior Team Sub
Div Two (WEST)Div Two (NORTH)Div Two (SOUTH)Div Two (EAST)
Abingdon Town ReservesBourton Rovers ReservesAFC Aldermaston ReservesAdderbury Park
Abingdon United ReservesClanfield DevelopmentChalfont WaspsArdley United Reserves
Cricklade Town ReservesFairford Town ReservesChalvey Sports ReservesAston Clinton Reserves
Faringdon TownHartpury CollegeCove ReservesBanbury United Development
Headington AmateursHighworth Town ReservesFC BeaconsfieldBuckingham Athletic Reserves
Hungerford Town SwiftsKington TownFlackwell Heath ReservesChinnor
Kintbury Rangers ReservesMalvern Town DevelopmentHazlemere SportsEasington Sports Development
LetcombeMoreton Rangers ReservesPenn & Tylers Green DevelopmentHeyford Athletic
FC Swindon RobinsNewent Town ReservesStokenchurchKidlington Development
Swindon Supermarine YouthSK InkberrowTaplow UnitedLong Crendon Reserves
Wallingford Town ReservesShortwood United DevelopmentWestfields ReservesOld Bradwell United Reserves
Wantage Town ReservesShrivenham DevelopmentWokingham & Emmbrook ReservesRisborough Rangers Reserves
Woodcote (Reserves?)Slimbridge DevelopmentWatlington TownShipston Excelsior
Woodstock TownTuffley Rovers DevelopmentYateley UnitedSoutham United
Thame United Reserves

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Star
I find it interesting that Hellenic Divisions 2 , which cover a pretty large area between them, are attracting such a lot of applicants. 61 sides listed above, all of whom are quite content to play in a league which, in theory, has no promotion out of it. These clubs are quite happy to just play at their level and not be under any pressure to achieve.

I know that there are other leagues that do this and it will be interesting to see if they too get many new applicants. It could be that the Covid crisis has caused more clubs to believe that the FA pyramid and its attendant pressures are not for them. Hellenic 2 clubs are only small of course, but we may find, as time goes by, that some start dropping down from Steps 6 and 7 in search of the simpler life.

Mek

Junior Team Regular
Sarumio - constitution makes more sense now. Slight amendment though, it is Westfield Res rather than Westfields. Woking rather than Hereford.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
Sarumio - constitution makes more sense now. Slight amendment though, it is Westfield Res rather than Westfields. Woking rather than Hereford.
Yes it makes sense as to why they have not got Regional Feeder League status.
So many reserve and development sides.
As i recall in the old step 7 there was a limit to the number of reserve sides you could have.
I think it was 25% of your constitution.
Which i always thought was comical because i am not aware of a limit at step 6.

BracknellRobin

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bracknell Town
Woodcote Stoke Row of the Thames Valley Prem moving into Hellenic. Expecting Marlow United to appear back in the Thames Valley League next season

Beaconsfield FC of the East Berks League moving to the Hellenic too. Leaves the East Berks League quite light as they were already running with very few clubs in their top division.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
By my calculation this league at this level has a footprint of parts of at least nine counties , actual not county FA's . That might even beat the Central Mids at its peak .

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
By my calculation this league at this level has a footprint of parts of at least nine counties , actual not county FA's . That might even beat the Central Mids at its peak .
Hoovering up clubs that could help make their local ‘step seven’ leagues stronger. Doesn’t seem right to me.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Hoovering up clubs that could help make their local ‘step seven’ leagues stronger. Doesn’t seem right to me.
In the linked article the league secretary stated "We have had several clubs approach and ask to join the League", which is a bit different to the connotations of 'hoovering up'.

Key questions are why are so many clubs choosing Hellenic 2 rather than their local 'step seven' leagues and can any lessons be learned from that.

Reactions: Tim

Mek

Junior Team Regular
I make it 10 counties:
Oxon, Wilts, Berks, Gloucs, Worcs, Herefordshire, Bucks, Hants, Surrey and Warwicks.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In terms of County FAs, I assume one less as Berks & Bucks is a single FA, while the Warwickshire team is, I guess, affiliated to the Birmingham FA

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
I make it 10:
Herefordshire; Worcestershre; Gloucestershire; Wiltshire; Berkshire
Oxfordshire; Buckinghamshire; Warwickshire; Hampshire; Surrey
The Hellenic League has also had teams from Middlesex and Northamptonshire in the past.

Can only think of 7 counties for Central Mids:
Nottinghamshire; Lincolnshire; Derbyshire; Leicestershire;
South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and East Yorks/Humberside/North Lincs. Has the league ever had a team from Staffordshire?

Last edited:

Sarumio Whites

Junior Team Sub
i'm going to have to agree

The Oxfordshire Senior League would be a lot stronger with Adderbury Park, Faringdon, Headington, Woodstock, Letcombe, Watlington, Chinnor and Heyford in it. It would actually be a fairly strong league.
People bash the OSL - but this is why its not that strong!

Some I can understand - Southam, upon their reformation, had nowhere else to go really, and Shipston have been struggling for years in the Midland League so probably just wanted a change. Hazlemere were ex Wycombe League who sought emergency refuge in the Hellenic when that league folded and Chalfont Wasps were booted out of Step 6 and their location meant the Hellenic's basement divisions were their only option. And Yateley don't seem to know where they belong just lately, bouncing around leagues like a ping pong ball.

Kington Town though, really sticks out like a sore thumb. Why have they joined this league? It literally makes no sense whatsoever. What have they been told to tempt them into it? Have they been duped into believing something that isn't true?

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
In the linked article the league secretary stated "We have had several clubs approach and ask to join the League", which is a bit different to the connotations of 'hoovering up'.

Key questions are why are so many clubs choosing Hellenic 2 rather than their local 'step seven' leagues and can any lessons be learned from that.
My view is that they see being members of the Hellenic League to be more prestigious.

Mek

Junior Team Regular
In terms of County FAs, I assume one less as Berks & Bucks is a single FA, while the Warwickshire team is, I guess, affiliated to the Birmingham FA
2 Warwickshire teams, Leo - Shipston and Southam.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
My view is that they see being members of the Hellenic League to be more prestigious.
Possibly, and I could certainly have seen that argument a few years ago when the Hellenic could decide for itself to elevate teams from Div 2. But that prestige has been diluted a bit, first since the FA took charge of such decisions a couple of years ago and again last summer, once it became clear that the drawbridge was being closed after Moreton and Bourton squeaked in at the last minute.

With all the revamping going on, it'll be interesting to see what the future holds for Hellenic 2 beyond next season.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
I make it 10 counties:
Oxon, Wilts, Berks, Gloucs, Worcs, Herefordshire, Bucks, Hants, Surrey and Warwicks.
Missed Surrey . Would also add Northants ( potentially ) as i'm sure they would accept a suitable side from the Brackley area .

Sarumio Whites

Junior Team Sub
Missed Surrey . Would also add Northants ( potentially ) as i'm sure they would accept a suitable side from the Brackley area .
He didn;t miss Surrey....
They have also had sides from Greater London before too - like Rayners Lane.

Has a Bristol side ever played in the Hellenic?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks