Heading 'a factor' in player's death

Moley

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Maidstone United
Woking
Manchester City
There is little doubt that the number of cricketers struck on the head since the introduction of helmets has increased. There are a number of factors: increased target (for want of a better word) area; change of technique - previously it was all about avoidance, now the fear factor has lessened and players get into line more and play forward more; tailenders no longer protected by the 'fast bowlers union'.

Of course in cricket the problem is not repeated, concussive blows but the threat of one, deadly blow. As long as the helmet protects against the latter, an increase to a still small number of the former is acceptable.
Correct I feel. I learned to bat in pre-helmet days, which instilled disciplines of self-preservation which are not important nowadays, getting hit was rare because players were taught to avoid it or they would not survive, also some of the shots today e.g. ramp, scoop etc. would just not be possible without a helmet. Increased protection is necessary but a false sense of security should not go with it.

Moley

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Maidstone United
Woking
Manchester City
Like many diseases, we have to consider the possibility that this is now becoming apparent, not because of some change in circumstance, but because increased longevity means more ex-players go on to develop problems who would have perhaps passed on before the effects of repetitive heading became an issue

pitch 63

Youth Team Star
I played rugby at school and was frequently kicked in the head in loose scrums. Post school I was a keeper whose natural instinct was to dive head first at the feet of opponents and my defenders. Several times at football I ended up with head wounds, plus quite a few broken figures and dislocated thumbs, that to the horror of my team mates I put back in myself. But it was head injuries that finished my playing days.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks