Guernsey Drop out of league for 20/21

Northstandexile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Why doesn’t league award the results for every Guernsey fixture as 0-0 and if 38 pts is a relegation spot then so be it.

ChrisHFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Hendon
Its also completely relevant to point out that Guernsey have also been an exclusively bottom half of the table finisher since joining Step 4, and hence, completely liable to ordinary relegation. The last FULL season they competed in, they finished second-bottom, just 3 points above the relegated Greenwich Borough (who had 3 points deducted to boot!).
Guernsey have not been an exclusively bottom half of the table finisher since joining Step 4. in their first season at Step 4 (2013-14) they finished 4th, losing to Leatherhead in the play-off semi-final. The following two seasons they finished 10th and 13th out of 24. It's only since 2016-17 that they have been flirting with relegation.

In their last full season (2018-19) they finished 18th out of 20 clubs; Thamesmead Town automatically finished 20th when they resigned from the league once the season was in progress (in October or early November iirc). Yes, Guernsey finished 3 points above the only relegated club Greenwich Borough, who had 3 points deducted, but Greenwich Borough's goal difference was 11 goals inferior to Guernsey's (40-78 to Guernsey's 50-77), so Greenwich Borough would still have been relegated even if they had the deducted points back.

At the time of curtailment last season, Guernsey were 13th with 36 points and ample opportunityy to climb into the top half of the table. They were also well away from the 'relegation battle', where the bottom three clubs had 20, 18, and 10 points respectively.

Linnetstowinit

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Runcorn Linnets
Arsenal
Why doesn’t league award the results for every Guernsey fixture as 0-0 and if 38 pts is a relegation spot then so be it.

The danger is always going to be creating more precedents to cause more unrest. It appears the decision has been accepted and the season can get underway.
Hopefully it will finish this season

villan

Junior Team Starter
I was beginning to despair about comments in this thread. To relegate Guernsey in these circs would be totally lacking of any reasonable/justification. The human race is supposedly superior to other life because it has moral standards & any club disputing this decision well repeating ladderman "jeez"

Sarumio Whites

Youth Team Sub
As I said its really unfortunate and I’ve nothing against Guernsey FC, it’s the correct sensible thing to do, they’ve been advised to do this, but its Guernsey's issue/problem. Nobody else's. I’m just being frank, not intentionally harsh.

Guernsey are effectively going into inactivity for a season. When that has happened in the past to other clubs, they’ve had to start again, lower down, they don’t just walk back into their previous division as if nothing has happened. No one’s keeping Droylsden’s place open are they?

If flights are only stopped until Mid-October then why not just start their season then? Or do what has been rumored to be the case with Jersey – try organising some double header weekends later in the season, with the assistance and permission of the league and their opposition.

If a club’s ground burns down or is flooded (i.e. entirely not their fault and out of their control) and they have no viable option to groundshare anywhere nearby, and they feel they have to withdraw from the league whilst they sort it out, should they be allowed to retain their place the following season?

If a club runs into severe financial hardship and it can be proved that it’s the coronavirus pandemic that has largely caused it, should they be allowed to sit out the season and then retain their place the following season, whilst other clubs have carried on and then got relegated from said division during that season?

If ferries stopped running until Mid-October and IOW clubs resigned from the Wessex in a rather knee-jerk fashion because of it rather than coming up with a viable alternative or a delayed start to the season, same question!

Unfortunate events have bestowed hundreds of clubs in the past, causing them to withdraw, with every sympathy from the footballing community, but they simply do not get to keep their previously held place. Arguably through no fault of their own, granted, but Guernsey are going to default on their commitment to play this season.

As I mentioned previously – there was every chance that Guernsey, had they played the season, would have finished in 20th place regardless, and been the team naturally relegated.

In a division, that’s part of a collection of equal leagues at a certain step, and as part of a national system of interconnected leagues, with pooled relegation and promotion across the board, with an active trap door at the foot of the table, its simply not a viable or the morally correct thing to allow a team to sit out a season and then be welcomed back the following, whilst another club in that division (and other clubs at that same step in the wider pyramid) have been relegated in the intervening period, that may well have finished above said inactive team had they played the season out.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
If a club’s ground burns down or is flooded (i.e. entirely not their fault and out of their control) and they have no viable option to groundshare anywhere nearby, and they feel they have to withdraw from the league whilst they sort it out, should they be allowed to retain their place the following season?
It's happened. Clyst Rovers didn't complete the 2000/01 Western League Div 1 season due to Foot and Mouth but took their place in the league the folllowing season.

Reactions: Tim

Unicorn

Youth Team Star
How will this affect relegation at the seasons end ? I would imagine whoever finishes bottom of Isthmian League Division 1 South will feel pretty miffed if they are then dispatched to step 5, whilst Guernsey remain on board. The same also applies to the other Step 4 Divisions of The Isthmian League too.
I can't see that them being miffed will count for a lot.
If the FA Council approve it then thats what will happen.

Last edited:

007Dale

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
As I said its really unfortunate and I’ve nothing against Guernsey FC, it’s the correct sensible thing to do, they’ve been advised to do this, but its Guernsey's issue/problem. Nobody else's. I’m just being frank, not intentionally harsh.

Guernsey are effectively going into inactivity for a season. When that has happened in the past to other clubs, they’ve had to start again, lower down, they don’t just walk back into their previous division as if nothing has happened. No one’s keeping Droylsden’s place open are they?

If flights are only stopped until Mid-October then why not just start their season then? Or do what has been rumored to be the case with Jersey – try organising some double header weekends later in the season, with the assistance and permission of the league and their opposition.

If a club runs into severe financial hardship and it can be proved that it’s the coronavirus pandemic that has largely caused it, should they be allowed to sit out the season and then retain their place the following season, whilst other clubs have carried on and then got relegated from said division during that season?

If ferries stopped running until Mid-October and IOW clubs resigned from the Wessex in a rather knee-jerk fashion because of it rather than coming up with a viable alternative or a delayed start to the season, same question!

Unfortunate events have bestowed hundreds of clubs in the past, causing them to withdraw, with every sympathy from the footballing community, but they simply do not get to keep their previously held place. Arguably through no fault of their own, granted, but Guernsey are going to default on their commitment to play this season.

As I mentioned previously – there was every chance that Guernsey, had they played the season, would have finished in 20th place regardless, and been the team naturally relegated.

In a division, that’s part of a collection of equal leagues at a certain step, and as part of a national system of interconnected leagues, with pooled relegation and promotion across the board, with an active trap door at the foot of the table, its simply not a viable or the morally correct thing to allow a team to sit out a season and then be welcomed back the following, whilst another club in that division (and other clubs at that same step in the wider pyramid) have been relegated in the intervening period, that may well have finished above said inactive team had they played the season out.
Such a long response to try and make the point, probably says all it needs to.

Just a few words will do on this outcome:
- pragmatic
- consensus
- sensible
- reasonable

Sarumio Whites

Youth Team Sub
well that’s your opinion - I’ve yet to see a consensus on the issue yet. Nor do I see it as reasonable or sensible. My opinion.

Sarumio Whites

Youth Team Sub
It's happened. Clyst Rovers didn't complete the 2000/01 Western League Div 1 season due to Foot and Mouth but took their place in the league the folllowing season.
Slightly different
- 20 years ago prior to formation of NLS
- bottom team (Calne in 19th) weren’t relegated.
- nobody from below was prevented from coming up due to Clyst’s reinstatement.

spen666

Junior Team Starter
As I said its really unfortunate and I’ve nothing against Guernsey FC, it’s the correct sensible thing to do, they’ve been advised to do this, but its Guernsey's issue/problem.

Nobody else's. I’m just being frank, not intentionally harsh.
Spot on correct its not as if the whole world is affected b y Covid-19 for example
No one is preventing people travelling to/ from Droylesden though are they?

Not a comparable situation at all One is on financial grounds, one is because the rules around Covid-19 imposed by the UK government make it impossible for Guernsey to travel to away games and for other sides to travel to Guernsey to play games there.

Ground are a different issue to the LAW of the land preventing football games involving guernsey
Financial problems are a different issue to the LAW of the land preventing football games involving guernsey

Guernsey are not defaulting, they are prevented by the LAW of the UK from fulfilling fixtures

Try putting things into perspective

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
It does not need a concensus from this board, It needs a concensus from clubs at their step, and most specifically their division

HarryC

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fleet Town
IF the season is played to conclusion, with the restructuring as still proposed, there could be play off games between some bottom step 4 sides and qualifying 2nd place step 5 side. so if they would be allowed to host a game in May 2021, they could have one game chance to retain step 4 place or return to step 5. if Jersey Bulls have as good a season as expected and get up to step 5, and if Guernsey then lost the play off match, rather than having 2 Channel Islands sides in Combined Counties Premier South, the FALC may decide that Guernsey would be placed in Wessex, flying in and out of Southampton.

Sarumio Whites

Youth Team Sub
Spot on correct its not as if the whole world is affected b y Covid-19 for example No one is preventing people travelling to/ from Droylesden though are they?

Not a comparable situation at all One is on financial grounds, one is because the rules around Covid-19 imposed by the UK government make it impossible for Guernsey to travel to away games and for other sides to travel to Guernsey to play games there. Ground are a different issue to the LAW of the land preventing football games involving guernsey Financial problems are a different issue to the LAW of the land preventing football games involving guernsey Guernsey are not defaulting, they are prevented by the LAW of the UK from fulfilling fixtures

Try putting things into perspective
Lots of “law of the land” and “uk preventing this that and the other” in this post. Where has it been stated that guernsey is going to continue to be isolated from the rest of the Uk past mid October, let alone for the rest of the duration of the football season?

marinersteve

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
South Shields
Lots of “law of the land” and “uk preventing this that and the other” in this post. Where has it been stated that guernsey is going to continue to be isolated from the rest of the Uk past mid October, let alone for the rest of the duration of the football season?
Only the other clubs in the division have any moral jurisdiction in terms of objecting, have any lodged a protest?

Sarumio Whites

Youth Team Sub
Only the other clubs in the division have any moral jurisdiction in terms of objecting, have any lodged a protest?
You’d have to ask 007Dale, he’s reported an apparent consensus has been reached. Presumably, as soon as the news broke, he spent all afternoon phoning the the clubs in question and asking them.

John Treleven

Reserve Team Star
Guernsey Press, Wednesday 16th September 2020

Alliance support G.F.C.’s exit from Isthmian

The F.A. Council will have the final say as to whether the Green Lions will stay in the Isthmian South-East League for the 2021-22 season.

But in co-announcing Guernsey’s temporary exit from the U.K. league on the grounds of not being able to beat the ongoing travel restrictions, the Alliance Leagues Committee chairman Nick Robinson said they would be supporting the Lions’ return next season.

‘We have agreed the suspension on the basis that the club will retain its place at Step 4 in season 2021-2022 and will be considered for placement in the event that circumstances mean we have to change the competition this season, said Robinson.

‘We have worked closely with Mark Le Tissier and his board and will continue to do so.’
G.F.C. chairman Mark Le Tissier said the decision was made by their board.

‘It was an extremely difficult decision to request a suspension. This was a decision not taken lightly however, with the flights between Guernsey and Gatwick not operating until the middle of October and the club’s desire to ensure the safety and well being of the players, coaching team and the islands’ wider population from the possibility of contracting Covid and bringing it back to the island we believe it was the right course of action to take in these unprecedented times.’

Le Tissier has been saying for weeks that he was confident that the F.A. would not prejudice his club if they were unable to fulfil their commitments.

Brightside

Youth Team Hopeful
There was supposed to be 7 20th place teams in relegation playoffs as per the 2019-2020 Promotion & Relegation rules.

There are now spaces @
Step 1 (Macclesfield)
Step 2 (Bury)
Step 3 (Blackfield & Langley)
Step 4 (Droylsden)

There will likely only be 3 teams (or fewer) in Relegation playoffs at the end of the season.

My personal belief is Guernsey should be classed as nil points and therefore one of them as they shouldn't be given preferential treatment to teams who complete their fixtures.
That's clearly not going to be the case so it is a moot point.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks