Grounds for concern - 2020/21

Dilligaf

Junior Team Hopeful
Dartford isn't an all wooden stadium. The terracing is concrete and the only wooden structure I recall seeing (not sure about the roof?) is the figure of a man opposite the main stand. I'm assuming that FGR mean that the terracing will be wooden.
Dover's wooden 'Family Stand' at their Crabble ground. Completed in 2017
Image result for dover athletic wooden standImage result for dover athletic wooden stand

Quote from the construction industry :-

Generally, timber construction spectator stands have been purposefully avoided over the last few decades, following the devastating fire at Bradford City’s grounds in 1985. Modern uses of timber in the form of glulaminated elements and prefabricated structural timber panels have meant fire resistance properties now exceed those of many steel alternatives which have been used for the past 30 years.

johnr

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Funding now in place for Gorleston's new ground, no dates yet, more importantly no mention of inflammability!!!

ComradeBT

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
A new petition has been launched in an attempt to save the Hare & Hounds, former home to Leyton FC. The petition is aimed at Waltham Forest Borough Council:

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
As reported elsewhere on this forum, Bracknell Town have "almost certainly" played their final match at their Larges Lane home:

They'll then share the redeveloped ground at Sandhurst Town.

Dribble!

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
York City may have played their last game at Bootham Crescent but they have now hired the pitch to Hull City for their U23 team to use, however York fans not happy and so it seems only one of the 4 games has been played at York and the contract has been cancelled
Last night may be the only game played there- Hull U23 v Wigan

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Team{s}
The Knitters.
If ever there was a situation where a club listened to the wishes of the fans and then told them to shove it this was it. Ok they were under the impression that Bootham Crescent had seen its last game, but when in these times of desperate financial need Hull City come along offering hard cash for the hire of the place the fans should really put nostalgia and rivalry on the back burner for the greater good.

ComradeBT

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
I think the York City fans are so frustrated and fed up with the state of their club, the ground situation and the ownership. The stadium move is highliy contentious, moving to a plastic box on a retail park and leaving their fabulous Bootham Crescent, close to the city centre, behind. It's a relocation a lot of fans didn't want and the new stadium, devoid of any identity and built without any consulation with supporters has rubbed salt into the wounds of those not wishing to move, whilst alienating even more fans who are now unappealed by watching their team in a souless box. The club ownership, meanwhile, has financially mismanaged the club, driving it into a perilous state which the relocation has exasperated and won't remedy.
The club is not the club York City fans fell in love with and has lost decades of its fundemental characteristics in the space of just a couple of years. The ownership continues to drive many fans away and such small things of allowing a rival club to play another match on the hallowed home turf of Bootham just pokes at them ever more.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Liverpool City Council has approved Everton's plans for the new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock so a final decision now rests with the Secretary of State of Housing, Communities and Local Government. The club hopes to be playing there in 2024.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Liverpool City Council has approved Everton's plans for the new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock so a final decision now rests with the Secretary of State of Housing, Communities and Local Government. The club hopes to be playing there in 2024.

Looks impressive. However I think they will need a Shrewsbury type chap in a boat to retrieve lost balls.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
I think the York City fans are so frustrated and fed up with the state of their club, the ground situation and the ownership. The stadium move is highliy contentious, moving to a plastic box on a retail park and leaving their fabulous Bootham Crescent, close to the city centre, behind. It's a relocation a lot of fans didn't want and the new stadium, devoid of any identity and built without any consulation with supporters has rubbed salt into the wounds of those not wishing to move, whilst alienating even more fans who are now unappealed by watching their team in a souless box. The club ownership, meanwhile, has financially mismanaged the club, driving it into a perilous state which the relocation has exasperated and won't remedy.
The club is not the club York City fans fell in love with and has lost decades of its fundemental characteristics in the space of just a couple of years. The ownership continues to drive many fans away and such small things of allowing a rival club to play another match on the hallowed home turf of Bootham just pokes at them ever more.
Not sure where you get a lot of this from. It's years since Bootham Crescent was anything like "fabulous". The ground is a dump, in virtually all respects completely unsuitable for the 21st Century and, given its landlocked nature, difficult to tart up into something less unappealing. What identity do you think Bootham Crescent portrays to York residents and the wider sporting world? It can't be positive! All the existing ground has in its favour is a relatively central location - and, owing to lack of parking, that's an asset only if you're going to the match on foot.

Many York City fans welcome the move to a fit-for-purpose new stadium, regardless of where it is. Given the protected nature of central York, and high land prices across the city, somewhere along the outer ring road was the only realistic option. Ironically, Huntington has a lot in common with edge-of-town Fulfordgate, which the club left, for Bootham Crescent, in 1932. The new stadium is an opportunity for a fresh start the club badly needs. A lot of York people regard it in that light. Heck, playing in more agreeable surroundings, City may even gain a few new followers.

Out of interest, what are the "fundemental (sic) characteristics" you feel York City have lost?

I agree, since he helped save York City, majority shareholder Jason McGill's stock has fallen considerably with supporters after a series of disastrous managerial hirings and firings. But it wouldn't surprise me if, having seen the new stadium project through, McGill sells out once City have settled in up at Huntington. The club will be easier to sell playing there than at Victorian Bootham Crescent. No amount of sentiment can deny that.

Oddly, York City need look only as far as their community stadium co-tenants, York City Knights Rugby League Club, for an example of how a change of ownership can galvanise, not to mention for a few ideas about supporter and community engagement, and the power of positivity. At present, York City are a laughing stock in their sport; York City Knights, by contrast, are held up in their sport as a model for others to mimic.

Twelve months from now, I'm confident York City fans will look at each other and say of the new stadium: "Why on earth didn't the club do this years ago?"

Last edited:

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I agree, since he helped save York City, majority shareholder Jason McGill's stock has fallen considerably with supporters after a series of disastrous managerial hirings and firings. But it wouldn't surprise me if, having seen the new stadium project through, McGill sells out once City have settled in up at Huntington. The club will be easier to sell playing there than at Victorian Bootham Crescent. No amount of sentiment can deny that.

Oddly, York City need look only as far as their community stadium co-tenants, York City Knights Rugby League Club, for an example of how a change of ownership can galvanise, not to mention for a few ideas about supporter and community engagement, and the power of positivity. At present, York City are a laughing stock in their sport; York City Knights, by contrast, are held up in their sport as a model for others to mimic.

Twelve months from now, I'm confident York City fans will look at each other and say of the new stadium: "Why on earth didn't the club do this years ago?"
As I understand it, other than buying shares, Jason Mcgill has only loaned money to the club and will be repaid all that out of the proceeds of the sale of Bootham Crescent. It will be easier for him to exit at that point and I agree , no surprise if he sells then.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
As I understand it, other than buying shares, Jason Mcgill has only loaned money to the club and will be repaid all that out of the proceeds of the sale of Bootham Crescent. It will be easier for him to exit at that point and I agree , no surprise if he sells then.
You'll remember the days when affluent businessmen, happy to put something back into their communities, invested in the football club without any expectation either of making money (indeed, the Football League regulations prevented it) or it being repaid. :)

Cherryhopper

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
According to the EFL highlights programme on Quest tonight, Newport County are looking to play their home matches elsewhere due to the poor state of the pitch at Rodney Parade.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks