Groundhoppers who don't actually watch the match

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
I once went to a Middx County League game - Marsh Rangers v Sutton Common Rovers @ Hillingdon Stadium. Didn't know it had been targeted as a hoppers' game.

My headcount was about 200, nearly all hoppers, about half (estimate) of which stayed in the clubhouse during the match, and about a quarter stood away from the action, talking about which games they'd been to, retc..

They didn't get in the way of people like myself, who wanted to watch the match, the team lists were available, as was a programme (I bought one in lieu of admission, good content, still not sure if I count it as 'real', since I don't know if the club produced it - not important to me, anyway) and there was food available.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
I once went to a Middx County League game - Marsh Rangers v Sutton Common Rovers @ Hillingdon Stadium. Didn't know it had been targeted as a hoppers' game.

My headcount was about 200, nearly all hoppers, about half (estimate) of which stayed in the clubhouse during the match, and about a quarter stood away from the action, talking about which games they'd been to, retc..

They didn't get in the way of people like myself, who wanted to watch the match, the team lists were available, as was a programme (I bought one in lieu of admission, good content, still not sure if I count it as 'real', since I don't know if the club produced it - not important to me, anyway) and there was food available.
Marsh Rangers issued for years, the manager was a mate of a well known Groundhopper (who doesn't post) think his name was Dave. Very helpful bloke.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
As a proud member of the "don't watch the whole game" group I would just like to refer you
to the name of the hobby ie GROUNDhopping.

For me the fun is new places , new atmospheres and a degree of ticking - if all I wanted was to watch
football I could stay local every week and not travel miles.

I have no issue at all with those who insist they must watch the whole game - good for them
but for me it is like visiting a good restaurant. I sample a dish or two but I don't have to try
everything on the menu in order to say I have been .
Nor do I have a problem saying I have visited a country even if I have not been to every town.

It is really hard for me however to understand why others can get quite exercised about how and why
I enjoy my hobby - to the point at times of personal abuse.(Not I may add gentle joshing which is part of
the fun)

I hope this helps the debate

andrew c
Just one observation, if a game is immaterial i.e. just to visit a ground then why not go anytime of the day or week?

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
Just one observation, if a game is immaterial i.e. just to visit a ground then why not go anytime of the day or week?
There are probably a few people who do that, but they don't mention it on forums.

aicwhu

Junior Team Starter
That indeed is a good question.

I think it is to do with the match-day experience which I enjoy ; football of course but also
the characters , the banter , even the tea etc etc

However if I am somewhere but not on match day and there is a nearby ground I will indeed visit
particularly if it is a famous old ground. (But i don't tick it!)

The best ground I have done that way but not seen a match was probably Fartown - yes I know
rugby league but a great old ground.

andrew c

The Don

Junior Team Star
Each to his own, I suppose. I just wish those who want to chat and compare the contents of their phones and shout out the updates of the Premier League games, wouldn't park themselves near me (usually in front of me blocking my view) and then ask me who just scored in the game taking place in front of them.

Many years ago I was near a group of 'Hoppers' at a Bristol Rec. which had several pitches. After the game we were watching finished, one of the group proceeded to shield his eyes on the way back to his car. When asked what he was doing he replied that he didn't want to look at the other pitches because he wanted to 'tick' them off on further visits. Very odd.

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
That indeed is a good question.

I think it is to do with the match-day experience which I enjoy ; football of course but also
the characters , the banter , even the tea etc etc
So you've ditched slavish subservience to the needless constraints of self-invented rules? Good lad. (y)
:whistle:

aicwhu

Junior Team Starter
So you've ditched slavish subservience to the needless constraints of self-invented rules? Good lad. (y)
:whistle:
Everyone has their rules ; the point is that I hope I respect everyone else's right to their
own rules.
As an aside I am not sure where you feel my constraints are nor why they are needless but I
guess you were just trolling me so no further discussion from me

andrew c

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks