Ground developments thread

Mek

Youth Team Starter
Floodlights should be in place at Ruthin Town by the end of the summer (twitter)

Auchinleck Talbot's floodlights are now in place (Talbot newsletter)

News from Newbury:

Irvine Meadow lights in place.

Maybole Juniors have been donated lights, they have arrived and they await permission to install them.

Last edited:

Mek

Youth Team Starter
Floodlights applications in progress at Teignmouth AFC and Beverley Town.

Ground improvements inc Floodlights approved at Hamworthy Recreation.

JimG

Junior Team Sub
A new stand has been approved at Racing Club Warwick's Townsend Meadow. It will be at the far end of the ground which, traditionally, has been little used apart from a few die hard away supporters who like to cheer their team on from behind the goal, or when attendances go over 700 (whenever Leamington or Nuneaton come).

I have been there a couple of times since the 3G pitch and new stand along the racecourse side have been installed and it all looks very smart. A 15ft high fence has also been erected around the ground so fewer balls will be lost. Sadly three mature oak trees have come down in the process, as you can see here

Last edited:

Way Of The Park

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Plymouth Parkway
Groundshare appears to start next season and the Parkway ground does not have a C grade currently. There may not be any more matches this season, but not sure where they would play if there are; and I expect they will need to nominate a ground which does have the C grading , at least as contingency..."we're completing the work over the summer" does not usually suffice.
From the pictures and comments on various Plymouth Parkway fan sites, the work on the pitch and ground at Bolitho Park is progressing at pace. On the other hand, have seen no evidence of work even starting at Truro City's proposed new Langarth ground. Given the stated aim from both sides that City will be playing in the new ground by the 2022/23 season (15 months away) I would have thought that work should have commenced by now. Given how the Truro management and majority of squad are Plymouth based, it is understandable that I have heard talk from one or two people about some sort of Parkway/ Truro merger or reverse takeover happening. The saga of the new ground in Truro (potentially involving Cornish Pirates rugby union team in a ground share) has been rumbling on since 2005, and still feels like a few more twists and turns in the story are on the way.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Work is continuing apace at Hellenic Div 2 club Yateley United's ground at Sean Devereux Park, so much so that the first team played their first game back there yesterday after three years in exile.

I popped in yesterday before the game. Not much to see yet - the site of the new club building is hidden behind a big wooden fence, the pitch is currently just roped off and the brick dugouts are a work in progress. I stand to be corrected but I think it's due to be properly ready for next season. For anyone interested the club website has fairly regular updates.

caulfield_paul

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
West Ham
Bradford PA
As mentioned in another thread, Bracknell Town are looking to move away from Larges Lane in the near future. Lots of developments going on around the town.

You wonder where the money is going from this development. Like any club that moves out of its home area, Bracknell Town won't really exist once they give up the ground. The report on footballinbracknell.co.uk says; "Bracknell have been forced to leave Larges Lane as their aim is to move up to Step 3 in the non-league ladder and that requires a larger ground." Forced? Really? Is it really worth destroying the club for the sake of promotion, because past experience has shown that this is what will happen.

OGLV

Junior Team Starter
You wonder where the money is going from this development. Like any club that moves out of its home area, Bracknell Town won't really exist once they give up the ground. The report on footballinbracknell.co.uk says; "Bracknell have been forced to leave Larges Lane as their aim is to move up to Step 3 in the non-league ladder and that requires a larger ground." Forced? Really? Is it really worth destroying the club for the sake of promotion, because past experience has shown that this is what will happen.

It won't destroy the club but it assumes that most will happily make the journey to Sandhurst. I am not sure they did everything they could to source another site in or just outside Bracknell. There's a huge amount of land around the area.

It's also not a location where they can expect to pick up new support easily given how close by Farnborough are.

GlenSTFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town
Ok it may not work out this way but the plan is groundshare with Sandhurst until they find a suitable area of land within Bracknell borders. This way it gives the club breathing space instead of rushing and paying over the odds. So yes it could be 5 years possibly more until they move into their own new stadium.

SquareOne

Junior Team Sub
The money has already been spent on upgrading Sandhurst Town's ground and the "Football Academy" plans. The two clubs are effectively owned/run by the same people. It's why Bracknell Town's first team have been playing as Sandhurst Town in the Combined Counties Cup. Sandhurst are now known locally as Bracknell's de facto reserve side. Logic dictates that the clubs should merge really, it would mean Sandhurst losing its Step 6 status though.

The ground at Larges Lane isn't suitable for Step 3. There's very little room for spectators. There used to be more room but five years ago the current owners sold off the land behind the goal and moved the pitch to pay for a 3G pitch they're now going to rip up.

Sport England have already understandably objected to the plans twice as it would mean losing a non-league football ground/football pitch.

It's quite hard to really keep up or understand what happens at Bracknell Town. They built a ground not good enough for Step 3 five years ago and then heavily invested in the team so getting to the top of Step 4 was always inevitable. The planning part of all this feels very strange.

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Work is continuing apace at Hellenic Div 2 club Yateley United's ground at Sean Devereux Park, so much so that the first team played their first game back there yesterday after three years in exile.

I popped in yesterday before the game. Not much to see yet - the site of the new club building is hidden behind a big wooden fence, the pitch is currently just roped off and the brick dugouts are a work in progress. I stand to be corrected but I think it's due to be properly ready for next season. For anyone interested the club website has fairly regular updates.
Is the pitch on the same footprint as it was before, or has it been moved to another part of what is a spacious complex that is also home to other football and cricket pitches?

GlenSTFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town
The money has already been spent on upgrading Sandhurst Town's ground and the "Football Academy" plans. The two clubs are effectively owned/run by the same people. It's why Bracknell Town's first team have been playing as Sandhurst Town in the Combined Counties Cup. Sandhurst are now known locally as Bracknell's de facto reserve side. Logic dictates that the clubs should merge really, it would mean Sandhurst losing its Step 6 status though.

The ground at Larges Lane isn't suitable for Step 3. There's very little room for spectators. There used to be more room but five years ago the current owners sold off the land behind the goal and moved the pitch to pay for a 3G pitch they're now going to rip up.

Sport England have already understandably objected to the plans twice as it would mean losing a non-league football ground/football pitch.

It's quite hard to really keep up or understand what happens at Bracknell Town. They built a ground not good enough for Step 3 five years ago and then heavily invested in the team so getting to the top of Step 4 was always inevitable. The planning part of all this feels very strange.
I was told by the Chairman that the current pitch plus a lot of other items at Larges Lane will be distributed over the over venues. It’s costing around £3m to upgrade Sandhurst’s ground and the academy site. Once they sell LL for housing that’s where the cash will come from to build a brand new stadium within Bracknell borough (nice name that... 😉).

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
Is the pitch on the same footprint as it was before, or has it been moved to another part of what is a spacious complex that is also home to other football and cricket pitches?
More or less the same, I think, but can't be sure as I've never been before. It's towards the right hand side of the field as you're looking from the driveway in.

Meanwhile more ground improvements at progressive Kent County League club Larkfield & New Hythe. Floodlights now going up, which I'd have thought would make the ground more or less ready for step 6.

Chris1963

First Team Sub
More or less the same, I think, but can't be sure as I've never been before. It's towards the right hand side of the field as you're looking from the driveway in.
When I went (which was a long time ago) the football pitch was on the left-hand side of the driveway. The area on the right, as observed on aerial photos, belongs to a cricket club. So this is interesting.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
When I went (which was a long time ago) the football pitch was on the left-hand side of the driveway.
It still is. And, when you're facing it from the driveway, it's towards the right of the big field that's in front of you.

ComradeBT

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
I was told by the Chairman that the current pitch plus a lot of other items at Larges Lane will be distributed over the over venues. It’s costing around £3m to upgrade Sandhurst’s ground and the academy site. Once they sell LL for housing that’s where the cash will come from to build a brand new stadium within Bracknell borough (nice name that... 😉).
What are the odds there won't be any money to help finance a new stadium in a few years time? I think many will fear that is a highly likely scenario. Sandhurst and bust....!

Chris1963

First Team Sub
It still is. And, when you're facing it from the driveway, it's towards the right of the big field that's in front of you.
It might be easier just to say that the pitch that was used on my visit (in 1997) was the one closest to the dressing rooms, which were in a large, modern brick building. I would expect this building is still there?

GlenSTFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town
What are the odds there won't be any money to help finance a new stadium in a few years time? I think many will fear that is a highly likely scenario. Sandhurst and bust....!
Yes I guess time will tell. But the footprint of Sandhurst’s ground means it can apparently be built upto Conference National standards, so maybe there won’t be any immediate plans to leave. I support Slough Town but live in Sandhurst so I’ll certainly be popping down to see the new development and you never know depending on the quality of the whole experience I could become a new fan.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
It might be easier just to say that the pitch that was used on my visit (in 1997) was the one closest to the dressing rooms, which were in a large, modern brick building. I would expect this building is still there?
If it is, it'd have to have been behind the big wooden fence I mentioned.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock