Ground developments thread

SquareOne

Junior Team Sub
Cherry picking clubs you can find one to "prove" your point.

you could have selected Stafford Rangers who didn't move ground but are no where near their peak, same with York ( up until they moved last month), Kidderminster etc all are clubs who didn't move but are no where near their peak.
"Proof" that clubs who don't move suffer, especially when compared to Leicester City and Manchester City who moved grounds and have never been as successful.

Moving ground does not necessarily cause a team to slump, nor does it necessarily cause a team to succeed
Not really cheery picking, I chose two clubs who are local to Bracknell who moved out of their towns. It's easy to leave your town, it's not so easy to get back. To pick another local example, I can totally understand why Maidenhead United will be moving away from York Road, but they aren't moving to a new ground in Slough or Windsor to do so.

New sites for football grounds in the south-east aren't easy to come by. I have no idea about Stafford Rangers or Kidderminster but neither Leicester or Manchester CIty moved out of their immediate areas as far as I can tell?

Even Bracknell Town's administration have said they regard the move to Sandhurst as a "stepping stone" and wish to return to Bracknell in the long term. There are questions as to whether Sandhurst could host Step 1 or 2 football for example.

Ultimately wherever possible I think clubs should play in the towns or places they represent. I know both clubs have ruled it out but a merger to become "Bracknell Forest FC" does feel sensible considering how closely aligned the two clubs are now.

Paludian

Junior Team Hopeful
Ok I’ll bite... what have my club been moaning about that’s got you upset?
This may be a reference to a time lost in the mists of the past when a club programme, possibly Stortford's, ran a piece on suggested collective nouns for clubs' supporters. One such was "A misery of Slough supporters". After our initial indignation at reading it had worn off, we were forced, in an admittedly very rare moment of self reflection, to concede that the author might just have had a smidgen of a point.

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
This may be a reference to a time lost in the mists of the past when a club programme, possibly Stortford's, ran a piece on suggested collective nouns for clubs' supporters. One such was "A misery of Slough supporters". After our initial indignation at reading it had worn off, we were forced, in an admittedly very rare moment of self reflection, to concede that the author might just have had a smidgen of a point.

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
That was a group effort on the way home from an away game. It originally appeared in our Cross Rhodes fanzine and was repeated in the programme (possibly twice), both of which i edited

GlenSTFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town
Not really cheery picking, I chose two clubs who are local to Bracknell who moved out of their towns. It's easy to leave your town, it's not so easy to get back. To pick another local example, I can totally understand why Maidenhead United will be moving away from York Road, but they aren't moving to a new ground in Slough or Windsor to do so.

New sites for football grounds in the south-east aren't easy to come by. I have no idea about Stafford Rangers or Kidderminster but neither Leicester or Manchester CIty moved out of their immediate areas as far as I can tell?

Even Bracknell Town's administration have said they regard the move to Sandhurst as a "stepping stone" and wish to return to Bracknell in the long term. There are questions as to whether Sandhurst could host Step 1 or 2 football for example.

Ultimately wherever possible I think clubs should play in the towns or places they represent. I know both clubs have ruled it out but a merger to become "Bracknell Forest FC" does feel sensible considering how closely aligned the two clubs are now.
I was told by Bracknell’s chairman, Sandhurst’s ground had the ‘potential’ to host step 1 football. My immediate thought was access would put a stop to that as it’s currently a narrow winding road that leads to the ground. Although the grounds boundaries are quite large and you could build up the stands there. Just can’t see Sandhursts ground hosting ex league clubs on a regular basis though!

GlenSTFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town
Come on... every club has a section of fans like this though (and worse!)!!!

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
Not so much a ground redevelopment, but perhaps some floodlight redevelopment required at Boston’s new ground. One of the pylons has blown over in the wind....Not good. Fortunately it appears nobody was injured.

caulfield_paul

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
West Ham
Bradford PA
I hope this goes well for the Poppies, though several obstacles remain, not least a Council that seemed glad to be rid of them and is in no hurry to welcome them back. 'Buying an area of land' is just the start. There's plenty of NIMBY-style councillors to get round in the planning process, not to mention the 'local residents' who always appear when a new ground is planned. Kettering has had a reactionary council for years, which in part is down to some voters who also support KTFC. Maybe they need to consider this before they vote on May 6th.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Is it me, or does it look like a giant hotel with a football pitch attached?
What gives it away, apart from the logo of "Holiday Inn"?

Ashtree RockBee

Youth Team Hopeful
What gives it away, apart from the logo of "Holiday Inn"?
Looks like another ground with ridiculously high stand rooves which give no cover from the elements for spectators beneath (Exhibit A that recently built corporate stand at Newport County). May as well not have them.

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
It's not as bad as Fulham's rebuilding of the Riverside Stand, which will leave spectators even more exposed to the elements. The strange thing is that Fulham scrapped an earlier plan which would have provided more shelter, possibly for no better reason than fashion.

aiwa

Junior Team Star
Minor news - Boldmere Sports (Step 7 Midland League) have applied for planning permission for floodlights at their ground in Boldmere Road, Sutton Coldfield, suggesting that they are aiming for a higher level in the medium term.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Staines Lammas have launched a fundraising drive to upgrade their ground with floodlights, stand and terrace:

From bits and bobs I've heard previously, I assume this is with a view to progressing back up into the NLS.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Star
Westfield fc sussex will be moving across the road from where they currently play.

Work started yesterday according to there Twitter feed.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks