Futbology/Groundhopper App

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have entered a big batch of grounds over the last couple of days - these are the results

Now in system
Fletchamstead Highway (used by Highway Coundon Court in Coventry Alliance)
Strenue Sports Club (used by Epsom Atheltic in Surrey Elite)
Isle of Wight Community Club (used by Osborn Coburg in Island league, seen during Island games)
Swadelands School (a one off use? by Bearsted in Kent Invicta League)
Bankfield (Ainsworth, Lancashire Amateur League)
Wood Lane (Marple), (Mellor - Lancashire & Cheshire League)
King George V Playing Fields (Cleeve), (Cleeve West Town, Somerset League)
Goffs Oak Pavilion (Goffs Oak, Hertfordshire League)
Worthies (aka Eversley Park) - Crusaders, Hampshire 2004 League
Moggerhanger - Blunham, Bedfordshire
Park Road (Hindley) - AFC Hindley Juniors, Lancashire Amateur League
Winslow Centre - Buckingham Town, United Counties
Groves Sports Club - Castrol Sports, WestCheshire League

Rejected as "insignificant"
Kytes Lane, Durley - then in Hampshire 2004 League
Frilsham Common - Frilsham & Yattendon, Reading League
Ridgeway School - Swindon Irons, Wiltshire League
Heys Road - Prestwich Heys (North West Counties League) and later Prestwich (Manchester League?)
Stobhall Fields - Stretton Eagles, Staffordshire League
Osborne Park - Newton Abbot '66, South Devon League
Kildare Street - Hindley Town, Wigan & District League

Rejected - other
Rolls Royce Rifle Range Pitch. Reason: We already have this stadium in our database.
(There are two distinct parts to this one, and the away team in this game, Allenton United v Derby Rolls Royce use the other). Frustratingly, the other ground did not show when I tried this one, allowing me to enter it, rather than saying it is "too close" to the other

Overall, I quite like the app. I think it is good if I can get most of my matches onto their database so as I can say where I have been. It would be nice to make the database more searchable, (you cannot search team names) and rather a lot of the ground names come out differently to my records, (some name changes, some my fault, some road names that are different to the one where the ground access is as when you pinpoint the ground it can home in on another neighbouring road). It would be nice to see which matches other people had been to, at least after becoming friends - but you only get notified, you cannot go back.

I do not think you can easily see all uploaded photos, and I would like clarity that they are not claiming copyright of any photos I upload. Clearly, I am permitting their use on the app by uploading.

I am also worried I am getting competitive by using it. I will enter enough grounds to be "number 1" on the groundhoppers by grounds, but I know people who have been to at least twice as many. Similarly, I might move up to number 3 on matches seen, but I know people with more games than Dave Bogie (who is number 1). I will never catch David, as every game he sees in the London Underground League at Market Road counts, and he appears to go to as many games there as I am doing overall.

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
I downloaded the app and started entering my games for this season, but too often the grounds weren‘t on the app. I think you could only add them if you paid to upgrade?

I also found searching for clubs and grounds a bit awkward, but maybe I’d have found that easier had I persevered.

In the end though I gave up. The thought of trying to input grounds going back 35 years didn‘t appeal.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
I don't use apps, but found it easy & quick to mark grounds I had been to on the Football Ground Map website. I notice quite a number of other members of this forum are on that site which is very easy to search (although, obviously, you will not be able to find Lord Lucan !).

There are a few hundred lower level grounds I have been to which are not listed, but I have not tried to get them added. I have, though, reported a few errors and duplications and these have been actioned quickly.

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I've got 7 missing, one of which I've tried a few times to add without success. They've been better with others I missed before, so I will probably try again with that ground (in Northern Ireland). Games are generally very easy to add, especially higher level ones, as there's history to choose from.

I'd like the ability to reply or comment on friend's check-in's, and search which friends have / haven't been to a ground. I think they should also improve the friend search - I have a request from someone whose name I don't know, but searching doesn't bring people up, so I can only approve them to see who they are.

Andy D

Reserve Team Sub
I've seen a lot about this app thing recently. Apps generally aren't my thing at all, and from what I can tell from the feedback on here and elsewhere it seems that it's not going to be something I'll be using any time soon especially like steveb said, 30-odd years worth of games/grounds which would need entering. I find an Excel spreadsheet more than adequate.

And Futbology is just silly.

Tim

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Welton Rovers
As far as I can see, the only way this thing can enhance my hobby is by identifying other hoppers in the area, and if desirable, enabling me to avoid them. Otherwise, like Andy and Steve, Excel and Word will do the business for me. I imagine most of the places I visit would be deemed "insignificant" anyway.

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
As far as I can see, the only way this thing can enhance my hobby is by identifying other hoppers in the area, and if desirable, enabling me to avoid them. Otherwise, like Andy and Steve, Excel and Word will do the business for me. I imagine most of the places I visit would be deemed "insignificant" anyway.
Now that would be an app worth having ;)

jhorspool

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Yeovil Town
I don't use apps, but found it easy & quick to mark grounds I had been to on the Football Ground Map website. I notice quite a number of other members of this forum are on that site which is very easy to search (although, obviously, you will not be able to find Lord Lucan !).

There are a few hundred lower level grounds I have been to which are not listed, but I have not tried to get them added. I have, though, reported a few errors and duplications and these have been actioned quickly.
I'm an admin on football ground map, if you send a request I can get some more grounds added on for you

Dribble!

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
I'm an admin on football ground map, if you send a request I can get some more grounds added on for you
Have a few from the ground hops in Romania to add to football ground map

BillShep

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
City of Liverpool FC
Overall, I quite like the app. I think it is good if I can get most of my matches onto their database so as I can say where I have been. It would be nice to make the database more searchable, (you cannot search team names)
You can search for teams. Use the "My Clubs" section of the App.... Obviously it will only find what is already on the data base. I find that easier to use rather than using the country section then searching the individual leagues.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
No, my clubs only allows me to search clubs they acknowledge - not the couple of hundred extra club names I have added

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have a few more in and not accepted to add to the lists

In
Ossebeemdstraat, Hofstade (Belgium) - as Stadion Verbroederingen
Boudewijnlaan, Maasmechelen (Belgium) - former ground of Verbroedering Maasmechelen
Stade Petit-Waret (Belgium)
Netaji Sports Complex, Sonarpur, South of Kolkata (India)
Stade la Roche, Longny les Villages (France)
Collingtree Road, Milton, Northants.
RAF Cranwell - used by Sleaford Town
Woolmer Hill - used by Shottermill & Haslemere
Springhouse Club (fomerley Shell Club) - used by Shell Corringham

Not Accepted
Oakfield Park, Carsington Gardens - Used by Borough United in Kent County, Division 2 (West) (2006)
Highridge Walk - Used by Highridge United in Glos County League (2005)
Churchmead School - Used by Dachet Sports (2007)
Mays Bounty - Used by Ludwig Leisure Basingstoke (2007)
Newton Park, Bath Spa University - Used by Stockwood Green (2004)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I got five more last night - three in, two not accepted.

In
Hunters Park (SO21 1QU) - Used by Twyford in Hampshire League 2004 (2008)
Churchill Recreation Ground (BS40 5HA) - Churchill 70, Somerset League (2009)
Woodspring Park (demolished) - former ground of Weston-super-Mare (1984/2001)

Out
St. Bartholomew's School - AFC Newbury, Wessex League (2006)
Hardmoor - Sporting BTC, Hampshire League 2004 (2007)

The dates in brackets show when I went to the venue

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
And one in for the mornig

Woodways - Haddenham United, Oxfordshire League (2007)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
And one in for the mornig

Woodways - Haddenham United, Oxfordshire League (2007)
And also in

Church Road - Meole Brace, Shropshire League (2005)

rambler77

Youth Team Regular
Two accepted

Napton Road - Stockton FC (Coventry Alliance)
The Playing Fields (Nether Heyford) - Heyford Athletic FC (Northants Comb)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Typical, the Heyford Athletic I have done (already in the system) is in Lower Heyford, Oxfordshire

Also added, the Edgbaston Foundation Sports Ground, which I had listed just as Portland Road, when visited for Himley Athletic (2004)

Chelsea Spud

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Chelsea
I think the ground in the picture for Atletismo Alicante (spain) is in fact of the one next door which is Ciudad Deportiva Alicante F-8 Campo 1. Have asked the guys to add this one

Reactions: Les

WatchMaker

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town, SK Brann
Live in Norway, but cross the pond on a regular basis every season groundhopping. And I have to say that this app is the best one I've ever downloaded. At only 5 quid a year for the Premium version it has taken groundhopping to another level for me. But, I can also see the amount of time and work needed to put in to update the app with 25-30 odd years of groundhopping. And the people behind the app are more than happy to help if a match you're planning to attend is not loaded into the app. Earlier this month I sent them an e-mail and asked if they could add Ipswich Wanderers v Old Newton United in the Suffolk Senior Cup. No problem. Got a reply half an hour later: Sorted. Have no problem recommending this app.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks