Friday 23rd July 2021

The vulture

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
Fry Club Cup Quarter Final @ Somerdale Pavilion :
Torpedo 0 Welton Rovers 6.
Att 44 (h/c).

What was almost a first team from Welton ultimately overwhelmed their Bristol Downs League opponents.

Welton had much the better of the opening half but just couldn't find the net, Torpedo offered very little going forward. HT 0-0.

The breakthrough came after 47 minutes with possession lost at the back, an out of position keeper was chipped from 20 yards. Further goals followed on 56, 70, 72, 86 & 88.

It has to be said that Torpedo are one of the nicest teams encountered for many a year. They played with total respect for each other, their opponents and the Referee. Not once did I hear any dissent or complaint. It reminded me of H.M Forces football.

Special mention for the Referee, proper old school, none of this 60 minutes warm up bollocks, he emerged from the changing room at 18:27 and we kicked off at 18:31. Had a damn good game too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

FatCat

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Witham Town, Rochdale and West Ham United.
Essex Charity 2-2 The Rose Athletic (HT: 2-0)
Charity game in aid of Forever Finley @ Witham Town FC
Kick Off: 19.35
Admission: free, but a collection was made during the game
Programme: n/a
Attendance: approx. 100

Both sides took this game seriously, albeit in good spirit, although there was moment towards the end when some tempers frayed.
EC enjoyed most of the possession in the first half scoring on 20 & 32 minutes.
Rose improved after the break, scoring soon after the restart and equalized with 8 minutes to go.

ARL

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leverstock Green
Pre-season friendly

North Shields 4 Newcastle Blue Star 1
Adm: £4, Tea £1. Att: several hundred

First day of my holiday in the North-East. Never got to see North Shields' classic old ground, had I been aware of/interested in non-league during my university years I would certainly have done. Their current ground is excellent though.

The clubhouse, changing rooms and tea bar are behnd the goal as you enter. On the north side of the ground there is a seated stand which has a classic old-school look, having plenty of wood and corrugated iron in its construction on concrete steps, with wooden bench seating. Either side of the stand is grass banking, and on one side there is a substantial three-step terrace built into the bank, with a colouful display of supporters flags above it. On the other side of the pitch are the dugouts and two standing shelters made of wood and corrugated iron with warped roofs. You'll have gathered by now that there is no sign of an Arena stand in this ground. Both ends are flat standing. Adding to the atmosphere, if you are standing at the clubhouse end you have a view of some old terraced housing at the other end.

The game was entertaining, with both sides playing some good football, although the home side showed the gap in class as they raced to a three-goal lead before half time, all of them classy finishes, although Blue Star pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time with a far-post header. There were no further goals in the second half until a couple of minutes from the end when Shields added a fourth right in front of me, although it was unfortunate for the keeper who had made a good save to keep out the first shot.

Given that the car park looked small on Google Maps I parked in a side street opposite the ground, although there were a lot more cars in the car park than I would have expected. All in all a good night at a ground well worth visiting, and it felt a bit chilly by the end.

WorksopBlade

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United
Hampton & Richmond Borough 1-1 AFC Wimbledon XI

Enjoyable matchup with good chances going both ways and a fair result imo. Wimbledon look to have pooled 1st team & kids together with one lot playing tonight, the others off to Dartford tomorrow.

1st half was competitive with a couple of chances going both ways but no score.

Opener came for HRBFC on 63mins via Trialist C who’s allegedly formerly of Wealdstone & Maldon & Tiptree. He went in all alone and the keeper got a big chunk of his effort but not enough.

Wimbledon equalised soon after, a tidy finish high into the net with the sub keeper on the floor still. Luke McCormick the man.

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Pre Season Friendly
Fantastic Media Welfare Ground - new tick
Emley AFC 2(0) Stocksbridge Park Steels 1(0)
Admission: £5 No paper Attendance: 130+ (estimate)

Pretty much universally known for the massive TV relay towers nearby on top of the moor (and in full and magnificent view tonight) the small town also has a nice football ground and friendly club. 3-sided with standing cover at the one end with terracing; all the facilities (bar, impressive seated stand, snack hut and new outside bar area down the one closed side and an open low terrace at the far end. Open side is for cricket and is not used by spectators.
Step 5 hosts (NCEL) and Step 4 (NPEL) visitors, this was a good run out for both sides; Steels were much the better side in the 1st half and contrived to miss a couple of gilt-edged chances. Emley produced little but were hard working.
2nd half it was all the home side; better energy levels and two good goals (a direct free kick in at the near post and a dinked finish from a through ball catching the Steels defence flat-footed). Steels responded with a deflected free-kick with 5 minutes to go but were constantly let down by final balls into the box.
A 'mare of a journey up (6hrs 20 min) because of sheer volume of traffic and delays around Cov the Binley R/a roadworks, this was my first NCEL tick; thanks to a night pass from Mrs Dog and £29 at Huddersfield North Premier Inn. Back to the hotel in 20mins. Belper and Heanor tomorrow before heading home.​

Last edited:

Planet Gong

Junior Team Regular
PSF
Northfield Emeralds 9 v Knighton Church 5
At The Emerald Centre
F&N
Att 30ish
This match pitted LSL Prem against a Leicestershire Churches League side.
Hastily arranged I presume as I only saw mention of it this morning on fb.
KC are a team of Romanian ex pats,I chatted with their manager with their assistant manager translating and very affable they were.
I had to check with ref Kev the score at the end of both halves as the regular scoring discombobulated me somewhat.It was 6-3 at h/t and I’d lost count by then.
Newly promoted to LSL Prem,NE need to defend a lot better come the season start or I imagine there will be some high scoring games involving them.
The only downer was the the bar being shut again,never mind, myTyskie 4 pack pre purchased served me well.
Got home within 30 mins walking and put Room to Live LP on by The Fall,loud.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
None in particular
Springfield 1 White Ensign 5
PSF, Att: 100 aprox
Admission - Donation - no paperwork
Played at Billericay Town

This was a really enjoyable game although the gulf in class between Step 7 Springfield and their Step 5 hosts was surprisingly vast and was a fair reflection in the final score. Ensign had the younger, quicker and it looked like fitter players whereas the Springfield side in the main seemed to be players who had played at a higher level previously, and whilst many of them showed a good touch there was a bit of rotundness about some of their team. They also had a very young forward, 16 or so and he was good, and it was good to see the encouragement he was given from his team mates.
Ensign started well and led on 5 with Connor Barmby scoring the first of his hat trick with a well struck shot from outside the box. After further chances they eventually doubled the lead with Barmby again scoring, this time beating the offside trap and cooly lobbing the keeper. Springfield had some possession after and had a couple of chances cleared off the line but only a minute into the second half it was 3 with a firm header from a right wing corner. Within two minutes, Barmby completed his treble latching onto a poor pass in the area, rounding the keeper and firing home before Springfield pulled one back with a good finish following a nod down from a free kick and within two minutes the Ensign keeper made a superb save from point blank range after a good move down the right. After that the game ebbed a bit with Ensign always looking a threat with their pacy play but the only further goal was a couple of minutes from time when a chip from outside the box beat the keeper, hit the and the rebound was turned in from close range. The game was arranged some time ago as a pre season friendly but about a week or so ago it was announced it would be fundraiser for a young lad, I believe connected with Ensign who had been taken ill and sadly lost the use of his arms and legs. After I arrived home and checking Ensign’s Twitter account they announced the night had made about £500. A big well done too to Billericay Town who, upon hearing the game was a fund raiser, I am advised waived their pitch hire fee.
All in all a good night out.

Link to the fundraiser ;

The Forester

Junior Team Regular
BILL COOK MEMORIAL TROPHY
PONTEFRACT COLLIERIES 5 GLASSHOUGHTON WELFARE 1
BEECHNUT LANE
ADMISSION £5
ATTENDANCE c230

Decent choice of food. No badges till the season proper starts. Not a bad ground but it has the feel of having had bits added to it as and when necessary over the years.

These two teams are local rivals so it perhaps wasn't surprising that a bit of needle crept into proceedings.

Ponty took the lead on 16 minutes and having already had the ball in the net, but disallowed, and forced a save out of the Welfare they were looking likely to add more goals in short order.

However, Welfare had different ideas and kept Ponty at bay before netting an equaliser just before the half hour.

With no further score after an hour, I was beginning to wonder how they would resolve the match in the event of the scores being level at full time and the implications for my arrival time at home given the 90 minutes journey time.

However Pontefract assuaged my worries by scoring a 65th minute goal then adding a third five minutes later. Just for good measure, they added another two in the final ten minutes so I was able to dash off without bothering to wait to see the presentation of the silverware.

Karb

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Welsh Cup Qualifying Round Two
Chirk AAA 2-2 Rhos Aelwyd (3-4 on pens)
Admission £3, no paper, Att: 114 (H/C)

Two sides from the Ardal North East, but the hosts will be kicking themselves for throwing away victory - twice!
Advertised as a 18.30 kick off, we actually started at 18.28. Chirk were the better side in the first half, but had only a single goal for their dominance - a fine strike from number 3 on the edge of the box. Chirk were reduced to 10 men four minutes after the interval - a silly second yellow for number 4, pulling back an attacker when there seemed to be little danger, but it didn't seem to have adversely affected their chances, when they added a second goal on 62 minutes when number 10 headed a right wing corner past the keeper.
Rhos reduced the arrears within 4 minutes with the goal of the game, a long range effort from number 2 which arrowed into the top corner. On 89 minutes, the home keeper tipped a long range effort onto the bar, but number 6 was first to the rebound and headed into the empty net.

Straight to penalties then and, two penalties in, Chirk again found themselves 2-0 up, but contrived to lose 3-4.

Pens were as follows (Chirk first):
Scored (1-0), Saved (1-0);
Scored (2-0), Over bar (2-0);
Over bar (2-0), Scored (2-1);
Scored (3-1), Scored (3-2);
Saved (3-2), Scored (3-3);
Saved (3-3), Scored (3-4)

gcnc

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
FAW Welsh Cup 2QR
Merthyr Saints 0 Penydarren BGC 3
Admission £3, Programme (28 pages) £1, Attendance h/c 443

Fourteen years after seeing Merthyr Saints lose a Welsh Cup match on the right hand pitch at the ICI Rifle Ground, it was a similar outcome on the newly developed left pitch, as the local rivals from the tier above deservedly won the bragging rights in front of a large, enthusiastic Friday night crowd. A penalty in the first ten minutes and then two goals in the first five of the second half, the first from a goalkeeping error, was no more than the visitors deserved.

Though their former first team pitch retains goalposts, dugouts and the small section of cover behind the goal, Saints' present pitch, developed during lockdown, looks much smarter with a brand new 100 seater stand on halfway on the far side, opposite another pair of solid dugouts. The stand side also has an elevated bank with some trees, which would have been even more valuable if this week's heatwave had lasted one more day. As it was, by the final whistle, I wished I had taken a jumper.

The glossy programme was a little short on content, but at least they issued and in a large enough print run to satisfy the demand. Refreshments were available from a van at the side of the clubhouse. Though there is some car parking inside the ground, I joined dozens of others parked on the pavement outside - pretty much where I parked back in 2007, if I remember rightly. The ground's location, just a hundred yards or so from the Heads of the Valleys dual carriageway meant a swift exit was possible and home by 9.20pm.

MartE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Emley AFC
Pre Season Friendly
Fantastic Media Welfare Ground - new tick
Emley AFC 2(0) Stocksbridge Park Steels 1(0)
Admission: £5 No paper Attendance: 130+ (estimate)

Pretty much universally known for the massive TV relay towers nearby on top of the moor (and in full and magnificent view tonight) the small town also has a nice football ground and friendly club. 3-sided with standing cover at the one end with terracing; all the facilities (bar, impressive seated stand, snack hut and new outside bar area down the one closed side and an open low terrace at the far end. Open side is for cricket and is not used by spectators.
Step 5 hosts (NCEL) and Step 4 (NPEL) visitors, this was a good run out for both sides; Steels were much the better side in the 1st half and contrived to miss a couple of gilt-edged chances. Emley produced little but were hard working.
2nd half it was all the home side; better energy levels and two good goals (a direct free kick in at the near post and a dinked finish from a through ball catching the Steels defence flat-footed). Steels responded with a deflected free-kick with 5 minutes to go but were constantly let down by final balls into the box.
A 'mare of a journey up (6hrs 20 min) because of sheer volume of traffic and delays around Cov the Binley R/a roadworks, this was my first NCEL tick; thanks to a night pass from Mrs Dog and £29 at Huddersfield North Premier Inn. Back to the hotel in 20mins. Belper and Heanor tomorrow before heading home.​
Hope you enjoyed your visit to our friendly little village club?
I think most Emley fans feared a thrashing after the first 10-20 minutes but SPS couldn't hit the target, we eventually grew into the game and our academy graduates ( who won the county cup in their first season last month) stepped up and saw us through.

If you're interested, match report here https://www.emleyafc.co.uk/teams/80677/match-centre/0-5043807/report

Also downloadable pre-season programme here https://shop.emleyafc.co.uk/product/programme/

Dr Love

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Llysfaen 0-4 Llanelwy*
Welsh Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Played at Colwyn Bay, this was convenient after a day out walking in the Vale of Clwyd. A fairly comfortable win in the end after an even start with the visitors scoring twice in each half, and the home keeper being much the busier. They should have had five, with an effort shortly after half time being not given as the referee couldn't see it cross the line. From my viewpoint from the small amount of terracing to the side of the main stand it was over the line, but easy to see why it couldn't be given. Fortunately it didn't prove crucial.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get here when Halifax played here, I'd intened one year, but too much snow and ice put me off. The game was played that day, but avoiding the difficult journey back was wise. The ground was worth the wait. A decent crowd for this one, with most supporting the hosts. A small number of them were rather boorish in their abuse towards the visiting #10, but he had the last laugh.

*Llanelwy is St Asaph in Welsh.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Cymru League North Buckley Town 1 Bangor City 0 Admission £3 (concession) No programme. Attendance ?
The ground is at the end of an industrial estate and Covid questionnaire requirements had to be completed before admittance to the ground.There are three floodlight pylons either side of the pitch with the pitch railed off on all four sides. The far end from the entrance is very narrow. There is a small stand on the far side with dugouts either side of the halfway line and various temporary looking buildings behind the goal at the entrance end of the ground with a brick construction for the refreshments. There is a bigger stand on the side of the pitch where we chose to stand but the three rows of seats were chained off, presumably for Covid-related reasons. Changing rooms are behind the goal in the same brick building as the refreshments hatch . The clubhouse/bar is next to this building with a toilet block in between. A welcome touch is the woodland which grows extensively behind all four sides of the ground.
This was a poor quality clash with both sides very short of attacking ideas; a solitary 88th minute goal was enough to settle it.

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks