Football Grounds in TV programmes

Bigaitch

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
Terry must have been confused or something because Fulham were at home to Walsall on that date.
To be fair to Terry , he did take a few blows to the head in Minder, (As well as dishing a few out). Perhaps it affected him....!

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
To be fair to Terry , he did take a few blows to the head in Minder, (As well as dishing a few out). Perhaps it affected him....!
£2 to get in at the Bridge in those days!! And Tel got chucked out. 😅

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Boston United
FFS I normally do but I'm on a feckin mobile and not able to do links off a phone.

If you see my post on Alan Wiggins map thread recently you will see just that. Then you could be of help instead of sniping. Get a life.

Because I / people can't give a link you don't want anyone to post. Jeez.

I'm not making that 8comment every post I make just to satisfy people like you.

If it was a light hearted comment by you please say so but knowing your posts I doubt it.
Relax, only trying the help those who might want to watch it...

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Watching 'Tina & Bobby' a few weeks ago, there was a modern covered terrace with the words 'Oxford City FC' on a sign on the roof fascia. It was only there for a few seconds, but does anyone know which ground was used? You would have thought that the lazy producers could have found an older ground somewhere.

Another factual drama 'Des' which was on TV last night, did not feature any football grounds but it did show Nilsen wearing a blue and white football scarf when he arrived home to be arrested. The implication was that he was a QPR or Chelsea fan, despite the fact that there is no evidence of him having any interest in football. The screenwriter must have been an Arsenal fan, or maybe someone who hates football and wanted to convey the impression that in the early 80's, only gay murderers followed the game. Another likely factual error was been the absence of snow, which is visible in archive TV footage (there was a brief but very cold spell at the time) All the same, the programme was of interest to me because my family was living barely ten minutes walk from Nilsen's home at the time.

paulh66

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Watching 'Tina & Bobby' a few weeks ago, there was a modern covered terrace with the words 'Oxford City FC' on a sign on the roof fascia. It was only there for a few seconds, but does anyone know which ground was used? You would have thought that the lazy producers could have found an older ground somewhere.
If you give us a link and an indication of how far into the show the scene was we'll have a crack at it.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Hopeful
If you give us a link and an indication of how far into the show the scene was we'll have a crack at it.
A quick Google tell you that the show was filmed in the Manchester / Warrington area but I couldn't find a mention about the football scenes in particular.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
A quick Google tell you that the show was filmed in the Manchester / Warrington area but I couldn't find a mention about the football scenes in particular.
Apologies for not providing a link, but the scene appears about halfway through the episode in question. I only watched that particular episode simply because the TV guide mentioned that it was the one in which Moore managed Oxford City. I was well aware that the programme was going to be utter rubbish, and I stopped watching immediately after the Oxford City bit. Thanks for mentioning that it was filmed in the north-west, and I am trying to think of modern non-league grounds in that area which might have been used for the scene. I have already ruled out Curzon Ashton because the terracing opposite the main stand is clearly different from that seen in the programme. I wonder if the producers bothered consulting Oxford City at all?

Leyther_Matt

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
"I was more impressed by his role in Tina And Bobby, and not just because Corrie cutie Michelle Keegan plays Tina. Lorne MacFadyen (ex Grantchester) plays the great man and filming for the football action has taken place at Leeds Rhinos Headingley Stadium."

Taken from HERE, no idea how reputable it is but no reason to doubt it.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Don't really know Headingley Rugby Ground but a quick look doesn't bring up anything that looks like this. But as I said, I don't really know it
BM (2).jpg

Andy D

Youth Team Regular
Heywood Road, Sale RUFC's original home and current home to Swinton RLFC.

Sale RUFC Cover 1.jpg

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Funny, I had thought it looked more modern than that on the programme and the club's name had been on the roof's fascia. But it was only on screen for a few seconds and I suppose the brain doesn't record every detail. But many thanks to Andy D and everyone else.

Leyther_Matt

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
Don't really know Headingley Rugby Ground but a quick look doesn't bring up anything that looks like this. But as I said, I don't really know it
View attachment 4487
And that of course reminds me that I had actually seen the series after all and identified it at the time as Heywood Road. If anyone could finds some marbles in the Leigh area then I would be happy to claim them. No idea where Headingley fits in to it then from the link I posted earlier in the thread.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
There's an episode of "Faking It", available on the Channel 4 website, with someone trying to pretend to be a football coach/manager

Various grounds featured including Brentford, Yeovil Town, Exeter City and Chesham United.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
And that of course reminds me that I had actually seen the series after all and identified it at the time as Heywood Road. If anyone could finds some marbles in the Leigh area then I would be happy to claim them. No idea where Headingley fits in to it then from the link I posted earlier in the thread.
Remember watching the series when it was first on a few years ago and Heywood Road also masqueraded as Watford's Vicarage Road when Bobby went to see Elton John about the managers job for which he lost out to Graham Taylor. Also remember a railed off pitch in front of a tower block being used for training scenes. Does anybody know where this is? Possibly used by a Manchester League or Cheshire League club.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
"I was more impressed by his role in Tina And Bobby, and not just because Corrie cutie Michelle Keegan plays Tina. Lorne MacFadyen (ex Grantchester) plays the great man and filming for the football action has taken place at Leeds Rhinos Headingley Stadium."

Taken from HERE, no idea how reputable it is but no reason to doubt it.
I've known Colin virtually all my life, we went to school together both juniors and seniors. When we left school I used to see him at Oxford City as well as Speedway and Ice Hockey and in numerous pubs and clubs. He's been living in the Canaries for quite a few years now. He writes for various English papers and Websites out there.

The Oxford City facts about Bobby Moore are correct, it was surreal at the time. Harry Redknapp was his assistant and played centre half. Colin used to shout at Harry, put him on castor.

The colour photo of action is from City versus Oxford United in Jack Woodley's Testimonial from 1981. Bobby Moore played for Oxford City in that game. The photo was taken by another friend of mine Steve Daniels who I have known as long as Colin. His mum Sheila used to serve me school dinners when I was six.

Andy D

Youth Team Regular
Also remember a railed off pitch in front of a tower block being used for training scenes. Does anybody know where this is? Possibly used by a Manchester League or Cheshire League club.
See if you can find a link and I'll try to identify it

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Just found my post from the old forum when commenting about the series when it originally aired in 2017. It must have been another programme where I saw a railed pitch in front of a tower block. The ground in Tina and Bobby which featured in the first episode showed West Ham training on a pitch enclosed by a plastic rail, which I'm sure they didn't have in the 1960's! One side had a small covered terrace with green corrugated roof and brick wall behind. Possibly the same ground was used for England training scenes which showed a grand white building with tudor exterior behind the opposite side but not facing the pitch. Couldn't see any lights.

Davetherave

Youth Team Sub

Another factual drama 'Des' which was on TV last night, did not feature any football grounds but it did show Nilsen wearing a blue and white football scarf when he arrived home to be arrested. The implication was that he was a QPR or Chelsea fan, despite the fact that there is no evidence of him having any interest in football. The screenwriter must have been an Arsenal fan, or maybe someone who hates football and wanted to convey the impression that in the early 80's, only gay murderers followed the game. Another likely factual error was been the absence of snow, which is visible in archive TV footage (there was a brief but very cold spell at the time) All the same, the programme was of interest to me because my family was living barely ten minutes walk from Nilsen's home at the time.
He was a St Johnstone supporter

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks