Football graffiti

The vulture

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Groundhog
For years (mid 70's into the 80's) at the County Ground, painted on a pillar at the end of the North Stand where it met the Stratton Bank was the legend "Mick fell here" with a downward arrow.

I was never able to ascertain who Mick was.

craigh

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leamington FC
I spotted this artwork on my bike ride just around the corner from Spring Road station in Birmingham (Tyseley/Acocks Green/Hall green triangle) .Gornik.jpg

davidjay

Ball Boy / Girl
The roots of 'Bromwich' lie in one of the many old spellings of Birmingham going back to the 11th century, variations on Bremicham and Bermicham.
Au contraire. Birmingham took its name from the de Bermingham family. West Bromwich is derived from "village of the broom". It was reckoned that the city boundary runs through the corner of the Hawthorns pitch, but that's a bit of a myth and if anything it bisects the Rainbow stand car park. As an aside, Birmingham corporation buses would sometimes end their journey outside the ground and passengers would have to get off and wait for a West Bromwich one.

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
In Northfield, Birmingham, you can still see graffiti proclaiming "Hatton and Burns, the goal diggers of Brum".

For many years a road sign on the A19 near Stockton showing 33 miles to Sunderland had "Arca" graffitied after the 33. 33 was his shirt number

jbattheground

Junior Team Hopeful
"Spurs are not very good". Written on a wall in Cheltenham. The pre-watershed choice of language amused me.

Fanatic

Ball Boy / Girl
Following a 1994 Premier League game, a sign near my cousin's house in Notts that read:

Everton 1

had "Sheff Weds 4" daubed underneath it.

Last edited:

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Following a 1994 Premier League game, a sign near by cousin's house in Notts that read:

Everton 1

had "Sheff Weds 4" daubed underneath it.
I have just had a look at Acme Mapper, and there is a village called Everton in north Nottinghamshire, only about two or three miles from the Yorkshire boundary. There is an Everton Cricket Club who play at the Metcalfe Recreation Ground in the village, but sadly the village does not seem to have a football team.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
There is also an Everton near where I lived for the first 9 years of my life in Hordle, Hampshire. When I was very young used to think that was where the real Everton played! They do have junior teams up to U16 playing at the village rec but never to my knowledge had an adult side. Sadly Hordle Spurs no longer exist while nearby Milford appear to have folded as they are missing from this season's Bournemouth League constitution.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
Spotted this in the Pilsworth area of Bury near a footpath / cycleway leading to the area called Gigg... made me laugh anyway :)

Giggsy.jpg

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
But there is no "and" written on the bridge, is there?

Rev Stickleback

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Reading
Enough to make your blood run cold...

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
While travelling back from Brading Town today (see WDYG) I saw some graffiti near East Croydon station which read 'RIP Bobby Sands' despite the fact that he died in 1981. Has the graffiti been there that long?
Perhaps someone on this forum who uses that train route more frequently than I do can give an answer to that question.

And if any of you are wondering who Bobby Sands was - in the early 1970's, he played football for Star of the Sea, a Northern Ireland club who issued programmes for a while in the 1980's, so this does count as football graffiti!

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
[QUOTE="Chris1963, post: 38940, member:

And if any of you are wondering who Bobby Sands was - in the early 1970's, he played football for Star of the Sea, a Northern Ireland club who issued programmes for a while in the 1980's, so this does count as football graffiti!
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's how he is remembered 🤔

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I
[QUOTE="Chris1963, post: 38940, member:

Yes, that's how he is remembered 🤔
[/QUOTE]
I remember he died of an eating disorder.
Good riddance.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks