Football graffiti

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Type B71 into Google Maps
Ah, yes, the postcode! Should have thought of that but football fans aren't known for shouting out the postcodes where their stadium is. Strange coincidence though, given that this thread started with a WBA-related post. Mind you, there may be some WBA fans who will say "never mind what the first letter of the postcode is, we aren't a Birmingham club" and I have to say that they seem to be referred to in the media as a West Midlands club (similar to Walsall or Wolves) rather than a Birmingham club.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Classic piece of graffiti years ago on a road sign on the A12 heading towards the Essex coast.
The sign was for Harwich and Frinton, a place traditionally where folk have retired to and subsequently has a high average age.
The sign read ‘Harwich (For the continent) Frinton , after which someone had added ‘For the incontinent’.

Jaundiced Hack

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Watford FC, Bridgwater Town FC Club Secretary
I remember travelling to Darlington with Watford back in the mid 70s and seeing 'Shaun from Darlo kicks to kill' painted all over some railway building. Anyone know who Shaun is or was? Probably some weedy little rat boy.

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
...there may be some WBA fans who will say "never mind what the first letter of the postcode is, we aren't a Birmingham club" and I have to say that they seem to be referred to in the media as a West Midlands club (similar to Walsall or Wolves) rather than a Birmingham club.
The roots of 'Bromwich' lie in one of the many old spellings of Birmingham going back to the 11th century, variations on Bremicham and Bermicham.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Shame of shame. It even made it into the 'New York Times' on 15th May 1983... :(

1587418630027.png
1587418672853.png

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
I remember travelling to Darlington with Watford back in the mid 70s and seeing 'Shaun from Darlo kicks to kill' painted all over some railway building. Anyone know who Shaun is or was? Probably some weedy little rat boy.
Must have been a reference to the Kung Fu craze that lasted for a year or two after Bruce Lee's death in 1973. It was aptly parodied at around that time by the following article;

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
'TURN BACK OR DIE' in the tunnel in Bolina Road on the approach to Millwall's New Den...

1588136049279.png

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Byker metro bridge.

A message for guess who...

1588393854248.png

1588393812806.png

pitch 63

Junior Team Star
Many years ago Bristol Rovers included in their League side for a season or so two players called Phil Bater and Chic Bates and I often wondered whether a piece of painting on a wall of a derelict garage - spray cans were less around in those fays - which said "come on the masterbaters" referred to them, since it seemed to go hand in hand, so to speak.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
This has been painted on a wall near where I live for nearly twenty years now, with one half-arsed attempt by the council to scrub it off in that time...

1590867835197.png

Kingsmere

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Think it says Earle and due to it's location could it be something to do with the late Caribbean Sunrise Club.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Remember LINCOLN CITY being sprayed on the Bournemouth sign by Holdenhurst Bridge on the A338 Spur Road when the Imps visited Cherries for a 4th division fixture in April 1981. The visitors had clinched promotion the previous week and their supporters were obviously still in celebratory mood.

philglossop

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Saltash United
On the bridge over the M5 at Taunton Deane services used have to have "Ashes on Tour" and "Saltash United 9" scratched on the wooden frame. They were certainly still there a couple of years ago much to my surprise.

I think....it came about from FA Vase trip to Herne Bay back in the 90s! But it wasnt me- honest guv!

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
For a good while the roadsign on the A420 out of Swindon (just before the Shrivenham turn-off) had "Oxford" over-painted with "Scumsville"...it made I chuckle with its sledgehammer wit. Sadly replaced.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks