leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
121 years old today...

The British Labour Party
Fussball Club Bayern München

Why does the football club tend to get referred to using one German word (Bayern), but the English version of the city name (Munich)?

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
121 years old today...
Fussball Club Bayern München
Why does the football club tend to get referred to using one German word (Bayern), but the English version of the city name (Munich)?
eszett ?

Saturday @ 21-15.
Spain tier 1.
Seville FC 1 v 1 Real Madrid.

@ Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium..
1b0bc5f6ba13aaf9600a7003797ef2b9.jpg

Seville - Fernando Peralta , Josimar Pereira , Jose Salguero Garcia (1) , Luis de la Fuente , Serna Orezco , Manuel Jiminez ,Jesus Choya Ruiz , Francisco Alfaro , Pablo Bengoechea , 'Chola' Jose Lopez , Ramon Garcia.
Subs - 'Nando' Fernando Garcia for Alfaro , Moises Carrion for Bengoechea.
Managers - Azkargorta Uriarte.

699ba0bda9107b3f15115d58cebbbec7.jpg-v-o_real_madrid_historicos-489545.jpg

Real Madrid - Paco Buyo Sanchez , Miguel Tendillo Belenguer , Jose Camacho Alfaro , 'Chendo' Miguel Noguera , Sanchis Hontiyuelo , Milan Jankovic , Rafael Gordillo Vazquez , Rafael Martin Vasquez , 'Michel' Martin del Campo , Hugo Sanchez , Emilio Butragueno (1).
Subs - Solano Bermejo for Vazguez G.
Manager -Leo Beenhakker.

Referee - Urizar Azpitante.

Moved on from Malaga on Wednesday night via a few overnight trains and I was in Seville for the big one against Real Madrid.
Real were top at the time by 5 points over Atletico Madrid , Seville meanwhile were chasing a European place in 7th position.

Good game in front of a capacity stadium , Jose Salguero opening the scoring for Seville in the 33rd minute.
Real equalized after the break with a goal by Butragueno the 'Buitre' after 53 and after that it was Real that loked the better side.

Real went on to win the league title by 11 points from Real Sociedad with Seville in a poor 10th position.

Had a hotel for the night and a short train ride to Cadiz the next day for Cadiz v Logrones. ( 0-0 / 14,000 )
19 x games , 3 0-0's , imagesD4T5DDFD.jpg 9 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).

2005 Beira Mar 0 v 0 Rio Ave.
2014 Chinandega 1 v 0 Diriangen.

---------------------------2010--Chile earthquake---500 + RIP----------------------------
-OIP2VVJ1Q7W.jpg-Rca4e43eb523c4ed17e4e443a02db1018.jpg

Last edited:

aiwa

Junior Team Star
A handful of games on this date but just going to discuss the one:

1988 Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee (Scottish Prem) The last weekend of the Feb 88 BR promotion demanded something special so together with a Uni chum we devised a packed cultural weekend in the Granite City, staying cheaply at Aberdeen University.

On the Friday evening we went to see Charlton Heston in the penultimate night of 'A Man For All Seasons' at Her Majesty's Theatre. The novelty of seeing such a huge film star on a provincial stage had drawn a full house to a charming old venue. To be honest, it was a little too highbrow for my tastes, but thankfully Roy Kinnear was also in the cast to add some much needed levity.

Saturday afternoon was time to see another Charlie perform - this time Aberdeen's new(ish) signing Charlie Nicholas, equally a man for all (football) seasons. The weather was nice and bright and I don't remember much about the game, fairly quiet I think with Davie Dodds getting a winner in front of 13,500 onlookers.

Saturday evening involved a trip to the cinema to see Bernardo Bertolucci's 'The Last Emperor', which had just opened. As a bit of a fan of Bertolucci I quite enjoyed this epic movie, more so than either the theatre or the footie.

Fitted in around these cultural delights was as much 'heavy' and Scotch Pancakes as we could consume. I quite liked the solid granite architecture of Aberdeen's older parts, and you could get a superb view of Pittodrie from the beach. Looking forward to going back one day.

Feb27-Aberdeen1.jpgFeb27-Aberdeen2.jpgFeb27-Aberdeen4.jpg

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Four...

Saturday 27th February 1988~
Division One
Portsmouth 0-2 Liverpool

...another match that showed we could huff'n'puff, but that ultimately we had nowhere near enough skill to survive in this division for more than a single season. 28,117 packed the terraces to see two goals from John Barnes, extending Liverpool's run to twenty-seven matches without defeat. Mick Quinn had a goal disallowed, but in truth we were never in it...

Saturday 27th February 1999~
Southern League Southern Division
Sittingbourne 0-1 Havant & Waterlooville

...played at Central Park greyhound stadium, with a couple of Havant fans jumping down onto the track and carrying out their own half-time race of a lap. We thought it was hilarious, but the locals seemed to have seen this sort of thing enough times for the novelty to have long worn off. I remember that the chips on offer were some of the best I've ever had at football...

Tuesday 27th February 2018~
National North
AFC Telford United 1-2 Nuneaton Town

...which bravely survived the encroaching Beast-From-The-East snowstorm that was sweeping the country, with the groundstaff doing a sterling job of clearing the lines of snow. This was an enforced re-visit, as I'd booked a hotel and travelled up to attend Shrewsbury Town P-P Yeovil Town in the EFL Trophy Semi-Final, but that had been postponed in the afternoon due to a frozen pitch...

Wednesday 27th February 2019~
Eastern Counties Div.1 South
Lopes Tavares London 4-0 Fire United

...at the Terence McMillan Stadium in Newham...

1614383465362.png

Chris1963

First Team Hopeful
This date is notable for the fact that I ticked the same club twice at different home grounds.

1982 - Bedford Town 0 Witney Town 0 (Southern League, Midland Division, attendance n/k)

This was the only visit I made to the 'Eyrie' in Raleigh Street and I count myself most fortunate to have managed this because the club folded at the end of the season and the ground was never used again. It was also the longest distance I had travelled for any non-league match that season. The programme editorial for this match gave an ominous warning about the money problems the club was facing, saying that "serious thought may have to be given to the financial structure of the club next season"

I can remember the ground very clearly though, two sides (the huge main stand and the impressive covered terrace behind the north goal) were in good shape but the south end was in such poor condition that it was unusable, while the east side terracing was in good condition but was missing its roof, with only the steel supports still being there. I watched the first half from that side, but moved to the main stand for the second half.

Fast forward exactly eleven years later (to both the date and day of the week)

1993 - Bedford Town 5 Emberton 0 (South Midlands League, Division One) H/T 2-0, attendance 108

This match saw me tick Allen Park to watch the reformed Bedford Town win comfortably against opponents who have since disappeared from senior football. Allen Park is a council playing field in Old Ford End Road and still exists - if you look at Google Maps, the pitch which was used for this match is still there on the east side of the field.

Last edited:

mxhornet

Reserve Team Starter
Football

1990 Southampton - 4 Norwich City - 1 (13,668) Barclays League Division One

1993 Southwold Town - 6 Dereham United - 0 Anglian Combination Division Four

2008 Horsford United - 1 Anglian Windows - 1 Anglian Combination Division Two @ Holt Sports Centre

2019 Dereham Town - 6 Swaffham Town - 1 (302) Norfolk Senior Cup Semi Final @ The FDC Bowthorpe

Running

1994 Bury St Edmunds 20 miles 1-56-22 18th (PB at the time)

2000 Bury St Edmunds 20 miles 2-09-51 31st

2010 Not For Nothing 50 miles - Hanworth 12-17 20th

2016 Catton parkrun (26) 24-10 73rd

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
Division 2.
Leicester City 1 Manchester City 0.
Att. 18,052.

Leics County Cup. Replay.
Leicester City 3 Holwell Sports 0.

SLD2.
Albion Rovers 1 Stranraer 2.
Att. 251.

Southern League - Western.
Shepshed Dynamo 0 Rocester 1.
Att. 120.

Conference North.
Ilkeston Town 0 Hinckley United 1.

Regionalliga Nordost.
Tebe 4 Rot Weiß Erfurt 1.
Att. 1,004.

Regionalliga Nordost.
Viktoria Berlin 0 Carl Zeiss Jena 0.
Att. 927.

RussWWFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
51Sat, Feb 27, 1993Chesham United4Marlow31107Isthmian Premier
845Tue, Feb 27, 2007Wycombe Wanderers0Maidenhead United1200Berks & Bucks Cup Semi-Final
1052Sat, Feb 27, 2010Stockport County4Wycombe Wanderers33740League 1
1432Thu, Feb 27, 2014VCD Athletic1Needham Market270Isthmian D1 North
1595Fri, Feb 27, 2015Ton Pentre2Taffs Well1Welsh League D1
1748Sat, Feb 27, 2016Wycombe Wanderers1Bristol Rovers04759League 2
2080Tue, Feb 27, 2018Wycombe Wanderers0Coventry City14087League 2
First time posting here in a while as I'm missing an attendance from Ton Pentre and wondered if anyone else here went. Highlights include brilliant games between Chesham United & Marlow and Stockport County & Wycombe Wanderers.

Also groundhops at VCD Athletic

and the brilliant Ton Pentre

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
1988, Barrow 4 Gainsborough Trinity 1 (Northern Premier League, 575) My first of several visits to Holker Street, whose original wooden main stand was still in place. I sat in front of the press box, which I recall having a large bay-type window. A couple of years later, I could’ve ended up covering Barrow, in the Football Conference, for the North West Evening Mail. They offered me the deputy sports editor’s job. At the time, the Mail's sports editor was Jeff Connor, who later wrote a book, Pointless, about a season with East Stirlingshire. Tempted by a pay rise, from an editor who didn’t want me to leave, I decided to stay put for another 18 months or so. With hindsight, certainly in terms of career development, that was a mistake. Instead, I trod water until the end of 1991.

On a sunny, mild afternoon, with spring in the air, it was my first ride, south of Whitehaven at least, on the scenic Cumbria coast railway line. In common with all rookies on that route, I was astonished by the spectacle of rumbling along for 20 minutes or so between Millom and Kirkby, only to glance over a shoulder and realise we’d come, as the crow flies, little more than a mile. Legacy of the Furness Railway being too tight to bridge the Duddon estuary, the extensive shores of which trains are obliged to shadow. Nice view of Black Combe, though.

Turn right out of Barrow station, and you’re on Holker Street. The ground’s a 10-minute walk, tops. Decent game, with a few goals. Jamaican former Sheffield United striker Trenton Wiggan gave Gainsborough a second-minute lead. Barrow hit back to win comfortably. Colin ‘Cowps’ Cowperthwaite (23, 30), Kevin Proctor (53) and Danny Wheatley (72) were on target for Bluebirds. Given the rundown facilities, and the compact nature of the ground, I found it hard to imagine League football and speedway being staged at Holker Street.

1996, Darlington 1 Hartlepool United 0 (Division Three, 4,332) Forget Newcastle United, Sunderland and Middlesbrough. Darlo-Pool is the North East derby (well, it was in 1996). With supporters of each team amongst my then-colleagues, this fixture was anticipated eagerly in the office. Despite watching both clubs at home three or four times a season during five years on Teesside, my sympathies tended to be in the Feethams camp.

The crowd for this midweek evening clash was double Darlington’s average. Eight quid for a spot on the top step of the East Stand paddock. A predictably tight, tense encounter was decided when, in the 83rd minute, Quakers midfielder Steve Gaughan struck with a perfectly timed shot after a great ball in by Paul Olsson. Keith Houchen’s Pool were forced to defend for much of the game. They’d had an escape in the 66th minute when keeper Brian Horne pushed aside a Robbie Blake shot then Gaughan’s follow-up was cleared off the line by Damien Henderson. Victory took Darlo up to third.

Gaughan told my Evening Gazette colleague Mike Spence: “In a derby, it’s a little bit special to score the winner. Hartlepool made it difficult for us. As for promotion, we’ll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.” Plymouth Argyle were to beat Darlo, 1-0, in the play-off final at Wembley.

2010, Gresley FC 1 Whitehawk 3 (FA Vase, Quarter-Final, 861) The anomalous Moat Ground, in a former pit village, hidden away off the main drag amid a maze of narrow streets, will be a favourite of many. Eight separate areas of cover! I’d been twice before, when Gresley Rovers were in residence, but couldn’t resist a third visit for this important cup-tie. The previous summer, Rovers had been liquidated with reported debts of £350,000. My future wife joined me in the main stand. Must’ve been a mild February afternoon!

Facing the Sussex County League leaders, managed by former West Ham United full-back George Parris, East Midlands Counties League Gresley FC (now Rovers, again, I see) got stage fright. On the big day, they ‘froze’. Whitehawk, on top from the first kick, scored in the 16th minute. A slip by Gresley left-back Richard Butler allowed Wes Tate to cross from the right flank, and when the ball was helped on by Darren Freeman, Scott Kirkwood improvised superbly to beat keeper Gary Hateley with an overhead kick from 12 yards. Out of the blue, in the second minute of first half stoppage time, Gresley equalised. Matt Hill swung in a near post corner that somehow defied left-back Darragh Ryan and keeper Lloyd Anderson's respective attempts to clear and block.

Spurred on by this piece of good fortune, Gresley bossed the early stages of the second half. Brian Woodall and Tom Betteridge had good chances before Whitehawk netted again in the 66th minute. What a beautiful goal it was. Substitute Kev Townsend played a lovely ball inside right-back Hill, and Josh Jones crossed deep for Tate to score with a simple diving header as Hateley struggled to make up the ground from his near post. Hawks almost added to their tally in the closing stages. Hateley dived full length to turn aside Richard Carpenter’s low free-kick then, in a one-on-one, the Gresley keeper blocked a Sam Crabb effort.

Eastern Counties League Wroxham beat Whitehawk in a two-legged semi-final. Favourites Whitley Bay, of the Northern League, then hammered Wroxham 6-1 at Wembley.

1982, Halifax Town 1 Hereford United 2 (Division Four, 2,098) This result ended a nine-game unbeaten run for Halifax. All but one was a draw, mind. Things looked promising when Bobby Davison, destined for bigger things at Derby County and Leeds United, gave the Shaymen a 20th-minute lead. Winston White, a constant threat, set up both Hereford goals, from Wales-capped Derek Showers (29) and Jim Harvey (52). The durable Harvey was later to manage FC Halifax Town. Bulls fielded Poland international defender Adam Musial.

Other sports:

A couple of rugby league games…

1991, Whitehaven 2 Batley 18 (Division Two, 500) Wednesday evening press box duty. The Recreation Ground’s press box, at the back of the mid-1920s, wooden main stand (since replaced), was tiny, dirty and lit by a single 40-watt bulb. Its windows were usually smeared. After less than a season, I gave up on it and, in all but the harshest weather, perched on adjacent bench seats, next to the timekeepers. Visiting reporters were usually happy to follow my example. Nobody from the Batley News was present on this occasion. I remember they ordered a 1,000-word ‘runner’, with copy to be phoned through every 15 minutes. Peter Snape, the Batley weekly’s experienced sports editor, wanted the match report in that week’s edition, out the following morning. His paper was being held, press poised to roll, for my florid description to be slotted into its allocated space.

Former Yorkshire Post staffer Peter would’ve been pleased he made the effort because Batley capitalised on a dreadful Whitehaven display to win at the Recre for the first time. The visitors took a firm grip late in the first half. Speedy centre Andy Williams crossed twice for a 12-2 interval lead. His second try was a 40-yard burst off a Sonny Whakarau pass. Three minutes after the break, Paul Kay and Mark Speight set up Batley’s third try, touched down by skipper Mike Booth.

After the game, Haven player-coach Norman Turley, having witnessed a camel's back broken by a straw, wasn’t in a mood to mince words. He said: “That performance has been waiting to happen for a long time. Everything went wrong. The commitment and willingness to work was nil. I don’t know where we go from here. Discussions have got to be had throughout the club to make plans for the future. Whether the present playing staff will be involved, I don’t know. I’m putting so much time and effort into this club - and getting very little back. And that’s upsetting.”

I must’ve been pretty ticked off myself because I wrote a strongly worded comment piece, which was the back page lead, with Turley’s remarks a sidebar, in the west coast edition of the following evening’s News & Star, Cumbrian Newspapers’ flagship paper.

2016, Featherstone Lions 37 South Wales Scorpions 20 (Challenge Cup, Round Three, 600) Ordinarily, one wouldn’t expect amateurs to beat semi-professionals. But South Wales, a mishmash of rugby union and other sport converts, really weren’t much of a team. Enthusiastic but raw. Some of the Featherstone locals around me at Millpond Stadium were astonished by how poor Scorpions were. “They’re the Huyton of the modern game,” one remarked. Actually, Huyton would probably have been too good for them. The visitors did, in patches, put together some decent handling movements. They scored four tries but the chasm in quality was there for everybody to see. All over after 18 minutes, when National Conference League Lions led 16-0. Lions scored four tries to one in the first half. It was three apiece after the break. Despite arriving in good time, the programmes had been sold. Featherstone Lions are renowned for printing only a handful!

Attachments

• Darlington.jpg
    Darlington.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Gresley.jpg
    Gresley.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Whitehaven.jpg
    Whitehaven.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Quite a busy day with a treble with a difference to start...

1977 - Wesco United v Norwood Pegasus - referee, at CS Chiswick. Both teams must have been spare for this friendly to be played, followed by a walk over Barnes Bridge to:
Harrodian v Orbain United (Sportsmans Senior Amateur) - linesman, a 4 x 30 min double header.
1980 - Investigation Section v Capitol House United (Somerset House Cup Quarter Final) - referee. Good to see two London based sides still left in the competition at this stage, usually (before the competition morphed into regional rather than office sides) it was the preserve of the large PAYE offices in Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford and Edinburgh etc.
1982 - J&M Sports v Cockfosters (London Intermediate Cup Round 3) - referee, with extra time (and replay) to follow. Cockfosters must have been fed up with me in the end because we had two more games in this competition the following season and they came off second best both seasons.
1983 - LT Osterley v Fernhill (Sportsmans 4) - referee.
1985 - Land Registry v Inland Revenue (Lewis Cup Round 3) - linesman, with extra time. Played at the Civil Service ground in Gloucester.
1988 - Wokingham Res v Leatherhead Res (Suburban League Cup Round 4) - referee, with extra time.
1991 - Wycombe Wanderers v Brentford Res (Capital) - linesman.
1993 - Yate Town v Leicester United (Southern Midland) - referee, att. 145. One of only two outings in the Midland division, coincidentally the other one was also at Yate.
1994 - Hamworthy Liberals v Poole Town SC Res (Dorset Sunday 2) - referee.
1996 - Amesbury Town v Melksham Town (Western 1) - linesman.
1999 - Allendale v Portland United (Dorset Combination) - observer.
2000 - Hillbourne DCA v Witchampton United (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee.
2001 - Christchurch v Swanage Town & Herston (Wessex) - observer.
2005 - Poole Labour Club v Blandford HMR (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee. It was unusual for a Blandford based side to play in the county league. They preferred less travel in the Blackmore Vale League.
2011 - Bournemouth Athletic v Parley Sports (Bournemouth Sunday 1) - referee.

barnetbee

Youth Team Regular
1988 - Finchley 2 Barton Rovers 0 (Vauxhall Opel league Division 2 North)
1993 - Tottenham Hotspur 3 QPR 2 (FA Premier league)
1996 - Barnet 2 Cambridge United 0 (Endsleigh Insurance league Division 3)
1999 - Barnet 0 Exeter City 1 (Nationwide league Division 3)
2010 - Barnet 0 Bury 0 (Coca Cola league 2)
2016 - Potters Bar Town 1 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 0 (Southern league Division 1 Central)

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Not much to report - however love the page of the forum and just wish a few more hoppers would use it - hope even when we get back to 'normal' Leo and the moderators keep the page going.

2001 - Rotherham United 2 Colchester United 2 - Div 2 - last posting in the army, saw me in Nottingham, so knocked off a few grounds towards the 92 whilst there- little did i know then that i would visit Rotherham plenty of times afterwards as Ipswich plummeted down the leagues and United moved up them.
2010 - Ipswich Town 0 Bristol City 0 - Championship
2016 - Arlesey Town 3 Chalfont St Peter 2 - SL, Central -

Only a few miles separate Hitchin from Arlesey, and just one division in football terms. But just seven days after visiting Hitchin, going to a game at Arlesey was like entering a different world.

There were some similarities, friendly, good club house (in fact the one at Arlesey is much better) and not bad football and both pitches OK when you consider the winter conditions both clubs had faced.

Arlesey is a modern ground on the edge of the village and a very good modern ground at that, whilst Hotchin is a town centre ground that would look at home in the 1930's - wood, wood wood whilst Arlesey is brick, brick and brick!

Hitchin's 'Top Field' oozes character but that is not to say the modern ground at Arlesey has not got it's individual features- the small terrace behind one goal and how many clubs have an adjoining Petanque club?

1614417479449.png

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1990, Tuesday

Scottish Cup Fourth Round
Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline Athletic, 1-2, H.T. 0-1, Att 8500
At Stark’s Park (Kirkcaldy)

Cowden opted to move this game from the Zentralstadion to the San Starko. Their home ground was a tad dilapidated in those days and with Dunfermline going through a boom period a large crowd was anticipated. The costs of bringing the Cowdenbeath ground up to scratch on a one-off basis would have been prohibitive. The move to the Lang Toon was clearly justified with 8500 turning up for a re-arranged date. I think it was “all ticket” - I must have acquired one from somewhere at short notice as I hadn’t intended going on the original Saturday date.

By now the draw had been made for the Quarter Finals and the winners knew they would have a money-spinning home tie against Celtic. The likelihood was that would have gone ahead at East End Park regardless of who won.

Cowden: Willie Lamont, David Watt, Michael Smith, John Wright, Eric Archibald (Sus Gus Malone), Glenn Kerr, Billy Spence (Sub Graham Buckley), Davie McGovern, Sandy Ross, Kevin Hamill and Colin Scott
Pars: Ian Westwater, Jimmy Nicholl, Ray Sharp, Norrie McCathie, Grant Tierney, Davie Irons, Paul Smith, Stuart Rafferty, Ross Jack, George O’Boyle (Sub Gallagher), Istvan Kozma. Unused sub Doug Rougvie
Ref: Dr A W Waddell (Edinburgh)

Pars striker Ross Jack was the hero for the visitors with both goals that saw his team through. His 16th and 17th goals of the season saw him join Ally McCoist of Rangers and John Robertson of Hearts atop the Scottish scoring lists.

On a blustery evening the Kick off was delayed 10 minutes to let the masses in – Pratt Street had been closed off before the game to allow queues to form. Jack’s goals in the 35th and 50th minutes should have killed the game off. The second was a penalty awarded when Cowden keeper Buzz Lamont felled Istvan Kozma and was lucky not to be red carded. However, Cowden got a foothold when John Wright pulled one back in 68 minutes. There were chances at both ends after that but a relived Dunfermline held on to go through. Cowden could be proud of their efforts. They were fifth from bottom of Division Two at the time and stretched a Premier Division side on the night.

Pars striker George O’Boyle was stretchered off near the end. He was a decent player but plagued by injury.

I imagine their was a programme for the game – Cowden Andy will confirm. I don’t have one and I cannot find a picture on line.

Two further asides – Dunfermline’s scorer was Ross Jack. More recently the Pars had a player called Jack Ross. Just as well their careers didn’t overlap.

Ref was Andrew Waddell, a man of great intelligence and wit. On being on the receiving end of serious dissent from a well-known player, he issued a red card with a withering comment of “I look forward to meeting you professionally”. Waddell was a forensic pathologist.

Feb 27 1990.jpgAndrew Waddell.jpgRoss Jack.jpg

rebus

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Wroxham, Barnet
Also at Diss Town (Diss Waveney Petanque Club).

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Star
1990, Tuesday

Scottish Cup Fourth Round
Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline Athletic, 1-2, H.T. 0-1, Att 8500
At Stark’s Park (Kirkcaldy)

Cowden opted to move this game from the Zentralstadion to the San Starko. Their home ground was a tad dilapidated in those days and with Dunfermline going through a boom period a large crowd was anticipated. The costs of bringing the Cowdenbeath ground up to scratch on a one-off basis would have been prohibitive. The move to the Lang Toon was clearly justified with 8500 turning up for a re-arranged date. I think it was “all ticket” - I must have acquired one from somewhere at short notice as I hadn’t intended going on the original Saturday date.

By now the draw had been made for the Quarter Finals and the winners knew they would have a money-spinning home tie against Celtic. The likelihood was that would have gone ahead at East End Park regardless of who won.

Cowden: Willie Lamont, David Watt, Michael Smith, John Wright, Eric Archibald (Sus Gus Malone), Glenn Kerr, Billy Spence (Sub Graham Buckley), Davie McGovern, Sandy Ross, Kevin Hamill and Colin Scott
Pars: Ian Westwater, Jimmy Nicholl, Ray Sharp, Norrie McCathie, Grant Tierney, Davie Irons, Paul Smith, Stuart Rafferty, Ross Jack, George O’Boyle (Sub Gallagher), Istvan Kozma. Unused sub Doug Rougvie
Ref: Dr A W Waddell (Edinburgh)

Pars striker Ross Jack was the hero for the visitors with both goals that saw his team through. His 16th and 17th goals of the season saw him join Ally McCoist of Rangers and John Robertson of Hearts atop the Scottish scoring lists.

On a blustery evening the Kick off was delayed 10 minutes to let the masses in – Pratt Street had been closed off before the game to allow queues to form. Jack’s goals in the 35th and 50th minutes should have killed the game off. The second was a penalty awarded when Cowden keeper Buzz Lamont felled Istvan Kozma and was lucky not to be red carded. However, Cowden got a foothold when John Wright pulled one back in 68 minutes. There were chances at both ends after that but a relived Dunfermline held on to go through. Cowden could be proud of their efforts. They were fifth from bottom of Division Two at the time and stretched a Premier Division side on the night.

Pars striker George O’Boyle was stretchered off near the end. He was a decent player but plagued by injury.

I imagine their was a programme for the game – Cowden Andy will confirm. I don’t have one and I cannot find a picture on line.

Two further asides – Dunfermline’s scorer was Ross Jack. More recently the Pars had a player called Jack Ross. Just as well their careers didn’t overlap.

Ref was Andrew Waddell, a man of great intelligence and wit. On being on the receiving end of serious dissent from a well-known player, he issued a red card with a withering comment of “I look forward to meeting you professionally”. Waddell was a forensic pathologist.

View attachment 9565View attachment 9567View attachment 9566
I can confirm that there was a programme.
It was a good game and atmosphere 8500 in the old Starks was pretty full to capacity.
At the time we were only allowed 500 in the old stand at Central Park with the back sections closed off after the Bradford fire.
Pars were at their peak under big Leish, probably the worst mistake the board made was getting rid of him as the crowds never came back in such great numbers.
Who else could have got 14000 of them to turn up against Meadowbank.
Main talking point was the O’Boyle incident when he came off second best after a challenge with Eric Archibald.
Pars fans in the Railway stand were baying for Big E’s blood but we were actually awarded a free kick.
That weeks Dunfermline Press gave him a rough time if I remember not that it would have bothered him.
One of the best West Fife derby games I’ve been at with Kozma being outstanding for them, hard to believe that they had a loss of £250k when they sold him to Liverpool.
Maybe a lot of people don’t know it but Ross Jack played in the Ill fated game at Valley Parade in 85 for Lincoln City.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 Stones Bitter Championship Division One Rochdale Hornets v Warrington Won 10-18
A rare visit with Wire to Rochdale, this one played at Spotland I think.
1993 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Northwich Victoria v Wycombe Wanderers Drew 0-0
1994 Coca Cola Cup Semi Final Second Leg Aston Villa v Tranmere Rovers 3-1 (aet 90 mins 3-1) (Aggregate 4-4) Penalties 5-4
Went down with Andy D to a fellow Vics fans based in Sutton Coldfield and from there to Villa Park. We were with the Villa fans behind the goal which I think would be the Holt End. It remains my only visit there. It was quite a game and you had to feel for Tranmere a bit.
1995 Konica League of Wales Conwy United v Flint Town United 4-1

1614420413538.png
1614420446567.png

1996 Mid Cheshire Senior Cup Semi Final Witton Albion v Northwich Victoria Lost 3-2
1999 Banks' Brewery League Premier Division Star v Wolverhampton United 6-0
A ground on the outskirts of Bridgnorth, off the Stourbridge road. It was enclosed, railed and had a stand. The ground was adjacent to the works (they used to be Lawson Mardon Star). They folded a year or two later and I think the land was built on by the business. They were regular issuers.
2000 Silk Cut Challenge Cup Fifth Round Warrington Wolves v York Wasps Won 84-1
This was my record win watching the Wolves. York’s drop goal came quite early in the game, the intention clearly not to get nilled. I did see a higher aggregate score when we beat London 10-82 in a game played at Gilingham. I missed the all time record win v Swinton in 2011 (112-0).
2001 Nationwide Conference Chester City v Boston United Drew 2-2
2002 FA Umbro Trophy Fifth Round Northwich Victoria v Telford United Won 3-2
2005 Engage Super League X Hull FC v Warrington Wolves Lost 32-10
2008 North West Cup Quarter Final East Villa v Old Xaverians (at Litherland Sports Park) 2-2 (aet 90 mins 2-2) Penalties 2-4
This game had long since slipped from the memory banks although I did recall I had done the ground, which was just a pitch inside an athletics track then. No other football furniture. I think the competition was for step seven clubs in the north west although I am not sure on that. I don’t think it was long lived.
2010 Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League Buckingham Insurance Supreme Division
Parramore Sports v Louth Town (T197) 3-4
A share with Andy D. Played at an athletics stadium with one decent stand and was pretty close to Don Valley Stadium which may have been where they normally played but was unavailable, hence the temporary switch. They issued. The Don Valley Stadium has been demolished. I thought maybe this one had too but it seems it is now part of Hallam University? The stand did look familiar to me and Andy has confirmed it is the same one.

1614420611488.png

2016 South Wales Alliance Premier Division Brecon Corries v Treforest 7-2
A share with Andy D. First of two visits here for me. A tidy enclosed and railed ground with a stand and lights.
I had an old programme.

1614420671603.png

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1986 Wimbledon 7 IFK Gothenburg 3 crowd 500
Friendly, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

The Swedes were in town preparing for a European Cup quarter final at Aberdeen the following week so wanted a warm up, although it was probably as cold in London as in Sweden at the time and if Fergie was there spying on his future opponents he wouldn’t have learnt a lot as they used it more as a fitness game, playing in tracksuit bottoms which earnt derisive comments from the sparse crowd. The score was 3-0 to Wimbledon at half time, after the break Glenn Hysen(later of PSV, Liverpool and Fiorentina)scored 2 and Torbjorn Nilsson one but the home side scored four more, the pick of which was an absolute screamer from Lawrie Sanchez from about 35 yards out into the top corner, possibly the best goal I ever saw at the ground, pity so few were there to see it. Gothenburg went on to beat Aberdeen before losing in the semi finals to Barcelona on penalties after throwing away a 3-0 first leg lead.

2017 Middlesbrough 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 crowd 100
Central League Cup, Heritage Park, Bishop Auckland

We had a league game at Scunthorpe on the Tuesday so this Monday lunchtime reserve game was a good opportunity to see our squad game, originally it was supposed to be at Darlington Arena but an international youth rugby game against Italy had churned up the pitch so it was moved to Bishop Auckland at the last minute, the only time a Wimbledon team have ever played there even though we met 3 times at neutral venues in Amateur Cup days. Before the game with few people about I took a look at the boardroom with team pics of the old days, was a shame I never made it to the original ground which looked superb, the new place was a bit bland but functional, hard to believe they will ever recreate their glory days. The game was a bit boring as they tend to be at this level with no sense of urgency so I spent most of it chatting to my brother who had also turned up, amazing to see 7 Wimbledon fans there especially as the venue had been switched late on. The following day having time to kill before the evening game at Scunthorpe I went to Spennymoor, Willington, Crook Town and Shildon to retrace some of the venues we had played at in Amateur cup days.View attachment 9575View attachment 9575View attachment 9575F7304F8D-BB77-429B-AE5A-62C8F2D364AE.jpeg06A08E29-02D3-4B6A-810B-5B4C9AF6A42B.jpeg87A582EF-E754-42B2-9C4A-EE126A54BA09.jpeg

Last edited:

willesden

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1982: Scarborough 1 Slough Town 1 FA Trophy Third Round (att: 3,220)

s-l500 (1).jpg

The Trophy glory years meant interest was still high in the competition on the North Yorkshire Riviera. A kindly own goal from a visiting Rebel got Boro a draw against dogged opponents before a 2-1 extra time away win in the replay to see the Seasiders progress.

1988: Burnley 0 Scarborough 1 Division Four (att: 7,845)

b20.jpg

Remarkable as it sounds today, Boro simply couldn't lose to Burnley for their first few years as a Football League club. A Neil Thompson goal about fifteen minutes from time was enough to win this game. Travel via minibus composing of Post Office and British Gas "workers".

1996: Scarborough 1 Mansfield Town 1 Division Three (1,304)
Another dismal bottom tier crowd in a dismal season in which Boro finished second bottom, clear of cut adrift Torquay United. An Andy Ritchie penalty gave us a rare glimpse of joy nearing the end of Ray McHale's second spell as manager.

1999: Brentford 1 Scarborough 1 Division Three (att: 4,783)

BFC.png

Colin Addison's first game in charge as Boro tried to avert relegation. I, along with other pals were the guests on Sky AM as "fans of the week" after Sky put us up in a dodgy hotel. Needless to say we had far too much to drink the night before, "to quell our nerves" causing mayhem on the train as someone put on the seagull mascot outfit. Belated apologies to anyone who was on our service. I have the programme on video and it's fair to say I was not in line for any academy awards for my performance. I defy anyone to try that "chips" thing trying to put the ball in a net over a wall when you've been busting for the loo for three hours. All things considered it could have been a lot worse.

It was nevertheless a great experience followed by more drinks in the adjacent rugby club with some of the cast and backroom staff. We were then whisked away in taxis to Griffin Park where I managed to tick off all four corner pubs.

Boro played really well and were ahead through an early Chris Tate goal before a Derek Bryan goal towards the end led to some pressure for the promotion chasing Bees whose side's star player was Hermann Hreiðarsson. Train back after the game, after realising someone had left the mascots outfit in a pub. On changing trains we had drinks with York fans who genuinely wanted us to stay up.

2013: Ashton United 4 Kendal Town 1 Northern Premier League Premier Division (att: 107)

Image0853.jpg

After visiting Hurst Cross for photos I wanted to return for a game. It was my kind of venue. This rearranged clash gave me the opportunity with a week off work to travel north and stay over in Manchester after Blackpool the previous evening for the Fleetwood match.

A nice day out doing the Football Museum, visiting pubs including Paul Heaton's Kings Head and then to Ashton by train to witness a decent home performance which blew the visiting Mintcakes away with Aaron Burns and Dennis Sheriff both netting twice to make it 4-0 a minute into the second half. The home side relaxed allowing Maison McGeechan to net a consolation with half an hour left.

Post match I headed up Rochdale Road in Manchester for beers in the Marble Arch and The Angel. The following morning I took the train to see Dad for a few days.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock