February 23

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
1976 (Monday)

Bolton Wanderers 1 Newcastle United 2
FA Cup 5th Round 2nd Replay
@ Elland Road, Leeds
Att: 43,448

The first game at Burnden Park had seen Sam Allardyce open the scoring for the Division 2 leaders in the 4th min. Two goals from Malcolm Macdonald, the second a superb strike just before half time, saw Newcastle go into the break 2-1 up. The final score was 3-3 in front of a crowd of 46,880. Worth watching the highlights of that game for Macdonald's goal alone.
Four days later the teams played out a 0-0 in a game which drew an attendance of 52,760. If Wiki is to be believed that figure has not been bettered at St James' Park since.

So the next Monday a third attempt took place in Leeds under the tallest football ground floodlights in Europe.
LU.JPG ER.jpg

I took the opportunity to stand on the Gelderd End (something I would never have considered when going to watch the Baggies in Leeds o_O ) and was very impressed - a steep rake coupled with the deepest step rows I have seen in the UK meant the view was excellent. This end was the one favoured by the Bolton fans tonight, many of whom were still arriving 20/30 mins into the game - apparently the traffic congestion was such that many had abandoned cars and alighted from coaches on the motorway hard shoulder and walked up the sliproad to the ground. A fair number of Leeds fans were also in the Gelderd End supporting the Trotters - relations between Leeds and Lancashire clubs are not renowned for being cordial but it seemed their dislike of the Geordies was even greater, tonight at least.

Bolton
Manager - Ian Greaves
BW.JPG
Starting XI: Siddall, Ritson, Dunne, Greaves, P Jones, Allardyce, Byrom, Whatmore, G Jones, Reid, Thompson

Newcastle
Manager - Gordon Lee
NU.JPG
Starting XI: Mahoney, Nattrass, Kennedy, Barraclough, Keeley, Howard, Burns, Cassidy, Cannell, Gowling, T Craig

Plenty of familiar faces in both line ups which will bring back memories for some. Macdonald did not play tonight (injured ?) but goals from Burns and Gowling saw the Division 1 team through with Gary Jones scoring for Bolton in what was a very entertaining match.

Second replay

First game

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 23rd February 1985
Coventry City 1 Chelsea 0
Football League. Division One

This match was an 11-30 kick off and also all-ticket to avoid any trouble which seemed to follow Chelsea around in the 80s. An early goal from Terry Gibson after just 2 minutes is enough to give the struggling Sky Blues the points against their mid-table visitors.Attendance of 11,421

Coventry : Steve Ogrizovic,Kirk Stephens,Stuart Pearce,Kenny Hibbitt,Brian Kilcline,Trevor Peake,
Lloyd McGrath,Micky Gynn,Cyrille Regis,Terry Gibson,Peter Barnes. Sub : Dave Bennett

Chelsea : Eddie Niedzwiecki,Darren Wood,Joey Jones,Dale Jasper,Micky Droy,Keith Jones,Pat Nevin,
Nigel Spackman,Kerry Dixon,David Speedie,John Bumstead. Sub : Paul Canonville.

After the match finished I went to my second match of the day
Coleshill Town 2 Northfield Town 3
Midland Combination. Premier Division

This was a 2-30 kick off and a decent match with Coleshill leading 2-0 at halftime before Northfield staged a second half revival to win the match. Pack Meadow was alot different from when I visited back at Christmas time this season. It was a railed off pitch with a small amount of cover and there were no floodlights back in the 80s. Attendance of 45 which I expect was a headcount and also no programme!

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Star

Isthmian Premier

Hampton & Richmond Borough 4 VCD Athletic 0

A first half hattrick for Jerome Federico (31, 36 and 43) settled this one. Brendan Kiernan added a fourth on 48 after which HARB eased off to save some face for the opposition.

huttonpark

Junior Team Star
Saturday 23 February 2013
League Two
Dagenham 0 Wimbledon 1
Attendance 2265

Milton Keynes are top of my dislike list for obvious reasons but Dagenham are a close second. I never did like them very much and I have always been very suspicious of their role in the demise of some famous old East London clubs. So no prizes for guessing who I wanted to win this game.

In any event I went to the game with a friend who is a Dons fan and member of the Dons Trust. We met at a pub in Romford for pre-match drinks before catching the 103 bus to Victoria Road. I had only been to the Dagenham ground once before and that was over 50 years earlier for the 1962 Essex Intermediate Cup Final. A lot of improvements had been carried out with new stands etc. I wonder where all the money came from? The Dons fans were all corralled in a stand behind one of the goals but my friend hadn't bought tickets in advance and so we paid at the gate and stood near the half way line. This meant that we were surrounded mainly by Dagenham fans and so we kept a fairly low profile.

A goal from substitute Kevin Sainte-Luce about 15 minutes from the end won the game for the Dons which was very satisfying. After the game we walked to the Wetherspoons at Chadwell Heath for some food and more drinks before departing to our respective homes in South London and Chelmsford. A very enjoyable day!

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1986- Rugby League Challenge Cup 2nd round. Doncaster v Leeds 10-28. Played at Headingley to take advantage of the under soil heating.
1991- NW Counties Div.2. Bamber Bridge v Great Harwood Town 0-3.
1998- Lancs. FA Amateur Shield SF. Alexander Drew v Kirkham & Wesham 0-1 at Leyland.
2002- Notts Alliance Div.2. Pegasus v Newark Town 8-1.
2008- Cheshire Div.1 Cup QF. Woodley v Crosfields 1-3.
2013- West Cheshire Div.3. Redgate Rovers v Widnes Town 0-2.
2014- Rugby league Challenge Cup 2nd round. British Police v The Army 30-34 (golden point E T) @ Stanningley.

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1996 West Middlesex Sunday Lge, Open Cup SF: Stanwell 3 Wayfarers 1 (50) at Feltham FC
The league's 'match of the day' staged at Feltham Arena.

1988 South Midlands Lge, Premier Div: Welwyn Garden City 0 Shillington 0 (52)

1991 South Midlands Lge, Div 1: Oxford City 3 Ickleford 1 (38)

Oxford City were at the beginning of their climb back up through the leagues, and were playing on a roped off pitch in Cutteslow Park.

1992 Stantonbury Charity Cup, SF 1st leg: Shenley and Loughton 0 Olney Town 2 (85)
A local cup that provided a useful supply of matches on Sundays. Shenley and Loughton folded in the mid 1990s but their ground, at Linceslade Grove in Loughton, Milton Keynes, has been used by other clubs since, most recently AFC Santander.
775.jpg

1993 Midland Combination, Div 1: Upton Town 1 Kenilworth Town 2 (50)
A Tuesday night when Upton Town were groundsharing at Malvern Town.

1999 Northern Counties East Lge, Div 1 Trophy, 1st rnd: Yorkshire Amateur 2 Rossington Main 0 (45)

2002 Gloucestershire County Lge: Slimbridge 1 Highridge United 2 (70)

11am Middlesex County Lge, Premier Div: Marsh Rangers 0 Sutton Common Rovers 2 (201)
3pm Kent Lge, Premier Div: Faversham Town 1 Thamesmead Town 2 (168)

The morning game has already been mentioned by hantlondoner. It might have been the first of the Middlesex County League's occasional Saturday morning hop matches. Hillingdon Stadium was one of the league's better venues, but I'm not sure if anyone plays there now. I headed to Faversham afterwards, having suffered a late postponement due to fog when I tried to visit midweek just 10 days earlier.
3059.jpg
3060.jpg

2013 Spartan South Midlands Lge, Div 2: Hale Leys United 0 Kent Athletic 4 (15)

10.15 Manchester Saturday Morning Lge, Div 2: Fielden Park 2 Heston 7 (8)
2pm Welsh National Lge (Wrexham Area), Div 1: Rhosllanerchrugog 1 Rhydymwyn 0 (12)

bluearmybob

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1971. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v LEEDS UNITED (4) Division 1. Att 27,286.
1985. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v NORWICH CITY (0) Milk Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg. Att 27,404.
1991. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v HULL CITY (0) Division 2. Att 9,900.
2013. DOWNHAM TOWN (1) v BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT. (1) ECL Division 1. Att 35.
2016. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v HULL CITY (1) Championship. Att 17,630.
2019. CHICHESTER CITY (1) v AFC UCKFIELD (0) SCFL Premier. Att 92.

willesden

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1980: Scarborough 0 Bangor City 0 Alliance Premier League (att: 2,003)
No goals but the performance of City winger Pat Olney must have impressed as Boro signed him shortly after.

1985: Rotherham United 1 Hull City 1 Division Three (att: 7,068)

roth 84-85.JPG

On the train with pals to join a big away following. Billy Whitehurst scoring for City. We had to change trains in Doncaster on the way home. We were filling in time innocently in the Frenchgate Shopping Centre looking for a snack, when some locals decided we were on the menu. I'm glad I could still move back then!

1991: Nottingham Forest 2 Aston Villa 2 Division One (att: 22,036)

IMG_9045.JPG

Heading home from Torquay by car with pals after Scarborough's game had been called off the previous evening. A decent match as we stood on the Trent End. Nigel Clough put Forest ahead before a storming run from Paul McGrath set up Tony Cascarino to equalise after the break. Derek Mountfield scored for Villa when he tapped in a knock down from a corner. Steve Hodge stooped to head in at the back post near the end. We had beers in Nottingham and headed to Shepshed for further libations.

2000: England 0 Argentina 0 Friendly (att: 74,008)
No goals but Emile Heskey terrified the opponents on his first England start. My much missed pal Crusher who sadly left us just before Christmas came down and we enjoyed pre match beers between Lord's and Warwick Avenue. A very arrogant and miserable Alan Pardew was on board the train to Wembley Central not making too many friends.

Battistuta of Argentina.png

After the match we had beers in the Sports Hall behind the tunnel end to let the crowds die down . As we came out Gabriel Batistuta and his agent were trying to bum a lift to Heathrow! We went to County Hall the next day to the decent but short lived Football Museum before having a relaxing lunch.

2013: Shrewsbury Town 2 Stevenage 1 Football League One (att: 4,818)
A mad day return between nights as in my desperation to do the 92, travelling by train and grabbing sleep. I was on the long walk to the ground when I saw some gents wearing scarves, so I followed them. It turned out that they drank in the Prince of Wales and were a branch of the supporters club. A coach was parked up over the railway bridge, and the secretary kindly let me take up one of the spare seats for the £1.50 fare.

IMG_3550.JPG

The visitors went one up with a quality strike from James Dunne, with The Shrews replying with a crisp finish from veteran Paul Parry. After the break The Shrews gradually got on top and forged a winner after a clever finish from Marvin Morgan. Ironic song of the day came from the away section with "This is a s**thole, I wanna go home". I could only envisage that they wore blinkers when walking around Stevenage?

2016: Millwall U21’s 1 Hull City U21’s 3 Under 21’s Premier League Cup Quarter Final (att: approx. 250) followed by Barnet 1 Portsmouth 0 Football League Two (att: 2,557)

IMG_8735.JPG

A Tuesday double on a day off after nights. I enjoy going to lunchtime under age games in the big grounds, getting the best seats for little cost and seeing some potential stars of the future. Jarrod Bowen a case in point on this occasion. Jamie Philpot put the Lions ahead with a penalty before the Tigers replied with goals from Johan Ter-Host, Greg Olley and Dan Batty.

IMG_8739.JPG

After a refresh at home on to a strange fixture looking at it today. Barnet probably playing as high as they ever will and Pompey as low. I'd visit The Hive more if pricing was more sensible as it's a decent venue and only thirty minutes walk from home. On this occasion John Akinde scored the winner from the penalty spot five minutes from half time.

2017: Tottenham Hotspur 2 KAA Gent 2 at Wembley Europa League Round of 32 Second Leg (att: 80,465)

thfc v gent.jpg

I arranged tickets for just £10 that turned out to be among the away section to take a couple of Aussie pals. A top night out of plentiful food and beverage with a very good game to boot as the Balgians dumped out Spurs who had gone ahead through Christian Eriksen.

The visitors equalised through Harry Kane's own goal, leaving Spurs needing to score twice more. Dele Alli was sent off shortly before half-time for a dangerous high tackle to add to the task. Victor Wanyama's goal raised the noise before substitute Jeremy Perbet scored ten minutes from time to aid the early emptying of the stadium. The Belgians around us were both very happy and friendly.

2019: Hendon 0 Gosport Borough 4 Southern League Premier Division South (att: 226)

28pp-ISSUE-23-Gosport-B-01.jpg

Where to start? I was in confident mood greeting all and sundry while on main gate duties. My general bonhomie was different a few hours later. after an absolute car crash of a performance from the free falling Dons led by the amiable but struggling Jimmy Gray.

Gosport can't have believed their luck even after being reduced to ten men shortly after Tony Lee had given them the lead halfway through the first half. George Baker scored from the halfway line, capitalising on a awful clearance from keeper Dan Boness. Lee added a third after the break with a deflected shot, before another absolute howler from Boness saw Ryan Pennery dispossess him and slot home. At least it helped me drink faster.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
This is another day where there is one game I want to write about. I might try and add more later, but it is late in the day already.

In 2010 , the final match of my trip to Sri Lanka was on the Sunday, 21st February. The flights we had planned took us to the Maldives, with a three night stop before returning to the UK

The majority of tourists visiting the Maldives stop breifly at the airport and then head out again to a resort on one of the many islands that make up the archipelago. Few head into the city, and as a result, the accomodation there is limited. Paul, Kevin and I had found a room on-line with three beds at a reasonable price. Another English group was also making the same journey from Sri Lanka to the Maldives and home

On the island of Malé, which is predominantly muslim, there is no alcohol allowed. Unlike the other completely alcohol free place I have been to (Brunei), I was not offered any beer. Some of the other ground went across to the airport hotel on the next island, which was the nearest bar (with alcoholic beer) to us. Paul, Kevin and I settled for staying on the island and drinking the alcohol free fruit beers that were on offer. Frankly, it was pop - but not too sweet so quite refreshing in the hot weather

The game was being played on Tuesday, late afternoon. It was a group game in the AFC Cup, the second ranked of the Asian Club compeitions. As with the National competition, few countries have a chance in both competitions, although Indonesia did have entries in both competitions. League winners Persipura being directly entered into the Champions League, Sriwijaya, (cup winners, and also League runners-up) playing a qualification game for the Champions League and then on failing - playing in the AFC Cup. A third Indonesian team, Persiwa Wamena were also placed in the AFC Cup replacing a Malaysian team who decided against taking their place. Sriwijaya were the team I was watching. The Maldives teams were VB Sports (Champions) and Victory Sporting Club (Cup winners and league runners-up). We were watching Victory, so both sides were national cup winners, and league runners-up

This was the only game I have ever been paid for reporting on. I was paid by Associated Press, on a contract with the AFC. I am not sure my reports were ever used by anyone. I had to do a prematch report based on the conference the day before the game, and then match report and post match comments from both coaches. I was later told that I needed to add more comments from the coaches, and less about the actual match. The fee was US$150, which was about the same as my share of the hotel costs. I was thinking of attaching the reports to this piece, but apparently the files in Word, are not acceptable to the forum software.

It was of course inevitable that for the one game I go to where I actually need to file the report soon after the whistle, neither the stadium or my accomodation had wifi, forcing me to find an internet cafe to work from. The match report showed Sriwijaya having by far the best of the possession and chances, but with them not converting any, there were opportunities for Victory to steal it at the end, with two good chances, one against the bar, and one which the keeper was forced to save.

Both coaches were reportedly happy with the result. To my mind they should not have been. Sriwijaya were by far the better side, but had dropped points while Victory could have sneaked the result at the end. As it worked out, Sriwijaya won the group, if only on goal difference. They won all their home games and also beat Selangor away to end up on 13 points. Binh Duong of Vietnam came second. Victory lost all their away games but did beat Selangor at home, and ended up bottom of the group. Selangor finished ahead of Victory on goal difference, having also picked up a point at home (to Binh Duong) on the opening day, and adding a victory over Victory, but losing the rest

No official attendance was announced at the match, but Wikipedia now shows 4,100. This bears no relationship to the number of people actually in the ground

P1000191 m.JPGP1000193 m.JPG
P1000194 m.JPG

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks