February 22

Ricardo

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
I went to the Wimbledon v AP Leamington game on the opening day, we hit the woodwork about 7 times, missed a penalty and the keeper had a blinder

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
The Stadium was primarily a speedway venue (although I think racing had finished the previous year) and not ideal for football, particularly a club of EP & N's size. They folded in 1989 and the site is now a housing estate.
View attachment 9331

It was for greyhounds rather than speedway for all the times I have been (just football)

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
That's why it's nice to see team line ups , the majority on here haven't got a scooby about who they are watching / have watched.
Just as long as they get a tick. No interest in football , just ticking. :(.

The game wasn't bad either , I wonder how many ''''s I've missed out or put in the wrong place, sure the Grammar Police will be on the job.

Does anyone really go just to tick grounds without enjoying watching football?
Or is that a bit of a Hoddity???
Why go when there is a game on in that case?
I don't bother with line up's bar for Warrington Town games but if I did not enjoy watching I would not go at all.
It would be funny to be shown if there are others who just go for the tick.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Does anyone really go just to tick grounds without enjoying watching football?
Or is that a bit of a Hoddity???

Why go when there is a game on in that case?
Some that I've been games with possibly , they spend that much time with their back to the game talking and are eagerly looking at their watches waiting for that final whistle
Then there's a few who leave early :unsure:

That is the bit that baffles me about some.

But you deleted the main point , why does that relate to you ?

''The majority on here haven't got a scooby about who they are watching / have watched''.
Now remember the point is about team line ups.

I never went here , didn't want to upset a certain poster.
Even you must agree about the ones who'll go anywhere just for the programme. The game is not important.

Last edited:

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Team line ups is an interesting one. Early on in my groundhopping 'career' (I'm using that term with my tongue in my cheek by the way) I met lots of more experienced hoppers, including Hoddy, who always took team line ups.

I considered doing so as well, but decided it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Very occasionally I now wish I knew if a particular player played in a particular match, but nowhere near often enough to have made it worth the considerable effort of having done so for every game I've seen.

On a recent retro post I tracked the subsequent careers of players who played in a Manchester City v Leicester City under 21 fixture. So many had mis-spelled names on the official team sheet that trying to track them on a spreadsheet or ledger of my own would have been nigh on impossible.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
Team line ups is an interesting one. Early on in my groundhopping 'career' (I'm using that term with my tongue in my cheek by the way) I met lots of more experienced hoppers, including Hoddy, who always took team line ups.

I considered doing so as well, but decided it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Very occasionally I now wish I knew if a particular player played in a particular match, but nowhere near often enough to have made it worth the considerable effort of having done so for every game I've seen.

Same here.

I have also noticed that some hoppers seem to attach more importance to getting the team line ups than watching the match. They will miss the start by writing down and cross checking the names with others and then, if there is a naming discrepancy (e.g. Clark or Clarke) head off to the dugout to quiz the manager who probably doesn't know anyway. I even saw one 'well known' hopper storm onto the pitch at half time and accost a bemused player about the correct spelling of his name.

I have included line ups gleaned from the internt for some of the games on the RETRO threads and found it interesting to reaserach subsequent careers, but if these threads had never been thought of would not have lost any sleep over whether, for example, Jeff Astle played in one specific game against Liverpool and, if he did, which centre half he was up against.

As always, though, each to their own.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks