FA/steps 5/6 meeting - plans for 20/21 revealed

KentLad

Ball Boy / Girl
One thing that will be affecting the return date of non league, aside from when crowds being allowed, is the fact all referees and assistants have to take a fitness test. Part of the criteria to take the test is blood pressure certified by a GP/Health professional.

GP’s aren’t letting you into surgery’s at the moment unless it’s medical critical so this would not fall in this category. I suspect some will say then drop the need for the BP but then it opens up FA liability if someone keels over. Too much risk.

Through The Net

Ball Boy / Girl
One thing that will be affecting the return date of non league, aside from when crowds being allowed, is the fact all referees and assistants have to take a fitness test. Part of the criteria to take the test is blood pressure certified by a GP/Health professional.

GP’s aren’t letting you into surgery’s at the moment unless it’s medical critical so this would not fall in this category. I suspect some will say then drop the need for the BP but then it opens up FA liability if someone keels over. Too much risk.
Do you know what this 'fitness test' entails?
It's to make sure the officials keep up with the pace more than their own well being y'know, the FA aren't interested in the ref has a high BP, low on B12 or is a diabetic, it's put in place so 'gold old Dave the ref' can keep up with the speediest winger in town.

Plus, to get bin the older refs off down the ladder to parks football and push the youngsters through.

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Do you know what this 'fitness test' entails?
It's to make sure the officials keep up with the pace more than their own well being y'know, the FA aren't interested in the ref has a high BP, low on B12 or is a diabetic, it's put in place so 'gold old Dave the ref' can keep up with the speediest winger in town.

Plus, to get bin the older refs off down the ladder to parks football and push the youngsters through.
The fitness test varies depending on the level of football you're operating on.

The BP requirement was brought in because a referee died whilst attempting a fitness. The Fa are concerned about their referees as well as avoiding any liability.

In my experience some younger referees lack the life skills to manage a game. Anybody can stick a card up someone's nose.

Don't knock referees of any age - as I've said before we're all in this game together.

CanalEnder

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town FC
Barnstoneworth United FC
Just watching daily update - of relevance, but vague is …"grassroots sport will be able to return from this weekend.....beginning with cricket". Not too much of any detail there🤔. I guess it's what they mean by "grassroots sport"? Football authorities now need to expand on that.

Ladderman

Youth Team Starter
Today's announcement was supposed to be on july 20. They appear to have brought it forward, but it's massively short on details

HarryC

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fleet Town
A few words from the FA about the government statement

Following @DCMS's announcement of new guidance to enable competitive grassroots team sports to return, we are working to submit a comprehensive action plan for Government approval.

We are now working to submit a comprehensive action plan and related guidance for Government approval as outlined in DCMS’s publication. Once approved, we will publish new guidance for the grassroots football community. We will confirm timings as soon as we are able. In the meantime, competitive grassroots football can prepare to return and look forward to the start of the new season.

Please also note that guidance is being developed for clubs with teams competing in the National League System (NLS) and will be shared with those clubs directly in due course.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
I've heard rumours that.

All programmes in future must be digital.

All alcohol will be served in plastic glasses.

All refreshments must be meat free, as meat seems to have a greater risk of transmitting infection.

All spectators will have to provide full personal / contact details.

All will have to sanitise on entry and prove they have showered or bathed that day and are wearing clean clothes.

All future Groundhops will have to comply with these rules.

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
I've heard rumours that.

All programmes in future must be digital.

All alcohol will be served in plastic glasses.

All refreshments must be meat free, as meat seems to have a greater risk of transmitting infection.

All spectators will have to provide full personal / contact details.

All will have to sanitise on entry and prove they have showered or bathed that day and are wearing clean clothes.

All future Groundhops will have to comply with these rules.
A lot of them on Groundhops won't have showered that month never mind that day.

Through The Net

Ball Boy / Girl
How on earth is someone going to prove that - a note from their mum?

They'll be a lot of odd photos flying about if this is true!

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

THDrummer1

Junior Team Star
:unsure:
10 team divs / NO midweeks :unsure: :unsure:
I suppose it would be dependent on when the season starts. I read that the Nostell Chairman didn't think that it would be possible to start in September. I am in agreement with him that under the current circumstances the coming season would be the ideal time to reduce travelling, rather that wait another year.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I suppose it would be dependent on when the season starts. I read that the Nostell Chairman didn't think that it would be possible to start in September. I am in agreement with him that under the current circumstances the coming season would be the ideal time to reduce travelling, rather that wait another year.
If it were for one season , next, fine.

But reading page 2 , for good is the comment !

THDrummer1

Junior Team Star
If it were for one season , next, fine.

But reading page 2 , for good is the comment !
Yes, you're rIght. I don't think it should be for more than one season (or however long the pandemic lasts) but there's no doubt that the footprints of many step 6 leagues is too large and some sort of restructure could have been considered for this summer.

Ladderman

Youth Team Starter
A lot of them on Groundhops won't have showered that month never mind that day.
It's hard to take that seriously.
Newspapers are still on sale.

The only pub I've visited in the last 4 months sold beer in glasses.

The only pub I've visited in the last 4 months would have sold me a meat lunch if I'd wanted one.

I could go on

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Yes, you're rIght. I don't think it should be for more than one season (or however long the pandemic lasts) but there's no doubt that the footprints of many step 6 leagues is too large and some sort of restructure could have been considered for this summer.
Clubs like Worsbrough Bridge and Nostell really belong in the County Senior anyway where that system would maybe work long term.

Harry West

Junior Team Star
There is a real chance that many things in our society will change because of the alterations to our life-styles during this epidemic e.g. more people working from home, students studying from home, etc.

Maybe this is a good time to look afresh at how sport in general operates - not just in the UK.

If you look at other countries some sports are run in conferences with small sizes and play-offs are used to decide championships, promotion and relegation etc. It seems to work in the USA, Canada, etc so why not look at this here? Smaller divisions are common e.g. in Spain.

If NLS football only gets going by say 1st October wouldn't it be sensible to consider splitting each division geographically and to introduce play-offs? If that works then maybe, in future, seasons should start in September with a mid winter break in say January & February? Why not?

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks